PDA

View Full Version : Enough about Longford

pconnor
09/12/2002, 3:31 PM
The longford game is in the past, lets look to the next game - cork I think, isn't it?

Will Seàn Gallagher be back?
Will Grey be in, I've only seen him twice but he looks good.
What are our chances? Cork have come good lately.

A point against cork would be a good result. Hopefully Bray and UCD will loose their games. God I hope UCD fall flat on their faces and get overtaken by Bray, I want to be sure that UCD are relegated.

WindmillWarrior
10/12/2002, 5:43 PM
Look at this! A post on football and the team and it gets ignored, shame :(

I hope Shorty is back for the Cork match, it would be a great shot in the arm. But as someone said on an earlier thread, where exactly would Seanie fit in the new 3-5-2 formation. I know H played 4-4-2 against Bogford (oops!) but I think he was obviously playing for the draw and fair play, it worked.

With the same formation and application the lads showed against Londonderry, I reckon we'll stuff the l*ngers.

DrogMan
11/12/2002, 9:24 AM
Yeah I reckon that we'll get something from the Cork game. I mean we are playing well and the lads seem to have their confidence back, so hopefully it'll work out.
But about the game last week, I know we played for the draw and thats what we got but even though I still feel that we play the ball long too much. There was times when a simple look up to see whats on was needed but instead it was just a big thump up the field back to the oposition and the pressure back on us straight away. I thought Teirney had another fantastic game and the defence looked pretty solid, except a few times in the game but your always going to get that. Dempsey was pretty disapointing in midfield and I think that we need some one else there as he doen't seem to impose himself on the game like he should. He did it against Derry for 15 mins after he scored but after that he was non-existent. I dunno about Shorty getting his place back in the team, as Danny is playing well at the moment. I always feel that when Danny plays well the team are playing well, has anyone else noticed that???? Upfront is still a matter for concern, I know that we put 3 past Derry and scored against Pat's but we still dont have that edge up front that will make a big difference, I mean if we had a player like Jason Byrne of Bray then we would be in 4th or 5th place and not worrying about relegation. Byrne is carrying Bray at the moment and without him they would have been relegated a good while ago.
Another good point to come form the game last Saturday which no-one has mentioned is that we kept a clean sheet for the first time in ages(Since UCD at home I think!). So at least we are starting to do the postitives now.
So hopefully the lads can carry this good run of form into Sunday and get us out of the dogfight, COMON THE SUPERDROGS!!!!!!!

Sean Drog
11/12/2002, 10:18 AM
we were very lucky against Longford as they did hit the post and bar as well as Rogers making a few good saves whereas we created virtually nothing upfront. I know we went for the draw anmd this did affect our play but we cannot afford to play this way at home to Cork, the display against Derry is required. I see that Fabio is out (suspended) but Delaney will be back. In midfield I ouldn't play Dempsey in the center, he looks out of place and doesn't command the presence needed. If it was me, I'd play Tierney, Talyor and Dunne in the centre with Danny and Kelly as the fullbacks.

As for Shuan, I would bring him on for Danny in the second half if we are trailing to see if he can add to the game but I wouldn't chang the line up just yet as Danny is playing fine.

DrogMan
11/12/2002, 11:12 AM
Ah Fabio is out then, should make for interesting tactics. It'll make a change from the pointless runs Fabio makes straight into the defenders instead of looking for the space, at least Delaney might give us that bit of flare up front thats needed.

Sean Drog
11/12/2002, 11:32 AM
to Fabio I think hs game has come on 110% in the last number of weeks, he is linking up well with midfield and making defenders work for their money, although he hasn't scored much, he is creating chances that are unsettling the opponents.

This week is Delaneys chance to prove himeslf, he was on fire at the beginning of the season but when he did get on in the middle of the season he didn't perform too well.

DrogMan
11/12/2002, 12:08 PM
Ah yeah I know that Fabio has done really well in the last few weeks, I mean the goal against Pat's was a good finish. But I feel that he'd be better if he was brought on later on in the match, I know that it wont happen this weekend, as the defenders would be tired and he could exploit that with his pace and energy. With this way I think that we can cause more problems for teams!!

Drogrough
11/12/2002, 2:07 PM
Originally posted by DrogMan
Ah Fabio is out then, should make for interesting tactics. It'll make a change from the pointless runs Fabio makes straight into the defenders instead of looking for the space, at least Delaney might give us that bit of flare up front thats needed.

To be fair, Fabio's first touch and close control have improved greatly over the last few games. However, he often finds himself marooned up front and he hasn't the strength to hold the ball and wait for reinforcements.

Anyway, should be interesting to see Myler and Delaney fair

Dulux_Drog
13/12/2002, 10:45 PM
Fabio and Myler ARE the No.1 strike pairing at the club - that's why they play every week.
The team is under pressure so they're not getting much service at the moment.
Delaney isn't getting any games, so I can only assume that his wretched mid-season form has continued.
In light of that, I feel we'll miss Fabio badly and we'll be grateful to shuffle out of o2 park with a point.