PDA

View Full Version : Squad Profile

Pages : [1] 2

passinginterest
08/02/2007, 12:42 PM
Does anyone want to help give a better idea of the squad, eg position played, age etc, I've started with what I know.

The squad is as follows
Paul Malone,
Richie Fitzgerald,
Sean Carmody,
Fran Hore,
John O'Leary,
David Miller,
Conor Sinnott, Midfield, Age 21
Philip Drohan,
Justin Power,
Ben Brosnan,
Stuart Dunning,
Shane Dunphy, Goalkeeper
Eamon Doyle,
Tomas 'Ducker' Hawkins, Full Back
Michael Grangel,
John Hudson,
Anthony Russell,
Diarmuid Fitzpatrick,
Anthony Rossiter,
Marty Kelly,
Liam O'Loughlin,
Gary Murphy,
John Roche,
Stuart Lawlor,
Stephen Bradley,
Tom Eames,
Jason Murphy,
Johnny Flynn,
Aaron Harpur,
Lloyd Colfer, Striker
Timmy Bolger.

inexile
08/02/2007, 5:23 PM
played with anthony russell, plays centre back or midfield, excellent player i have to say

ForzaWexford
08/02/2007, 5:48 PM
David Miller (North End) was on Wallace's U-18's for the last 2 seasons. He plays centre mid. He's quite small but strong on the ball and very intelligent. Seán Carmody (Wexford Celtic) was sweeper on the U-18's last season. Rock solid. Ben Brosnan (Corach Ramblers) was on the U-18's last year aswell. Played wing back I think (Wallace nearly always plays 3-5-2 with his 18's) Gary Murphy (St. Josephs) is a defender. He was a youth last season. Aaron Harpur (Rosslare Rangers) plays up front and was also a youth last year.

Paul Malone, Richie Fitzgerald, Conor Sinnot and Jason Murphy were all on Wallaces U-18 side two years ago. Paul Malone (Wexford Celtic) is a central/right sided midfielder. Richie Fitzgerald (Ross Celtic, Waterford U-21's) is a centre midfielder. Good tackler, strong on the ball. Conor Sinnot (All Blacks, Reading, loaned to Limerick) plays in midfield. Jason Murphy (Wexford Bohs) plays midfield/up front.

Other players I know of are Liam O' Loughlin (St. Cormacs) who plays up front. He's small, but strong and fast. Marty Kelly (St. Cormacs) is better known around the county as a hurler but he's meant to be a handy player. Shane Dunphy (Adamstown, Waterford U-21's) is 23 and plays in goal. Ducker Hawkins (Ferns Utd) is 23 aswell, think he was on the books at Waterford last season. Stuart Lawlor and Fran Hore are both from North End, Stuart plays in the backs and Fran is a wide midfielder. He played U-21 with Bray for a while. John Hudson (Ajax) played intercounty football for Wexford the last few years, and plays up front.

GavinZac
08/02/2007, 6:00 PM
David Miller (North End) was on Wallace's U-18's for the last 2 seasons. He plays centre mid. He's quite small but strong on the ball and very intelligent. Seán Carmody (Wexford Celtic) was sweeper on the U-18's last season. Rock solid. Ben Brosnan (Corach Ramblers) was on the U-18's last year aswell. Played wing back I think (Wallace nearly always plays 3-5-2 with his 18's) Gary Murphy (St. Josephs) is a defender. He was a youth last season. Aaron Harpur (Rosslare Rangers) plays up front and was also a youth last year.

Paul Malone, Richie Fitzgerald, Conor Sinnot and Jason Murphy were all on Wallaces U-18 side two years ago. Paul Malone (Wexford Celtic) is a central/right sided midfielder. Richie Fitzgerald (Ross Celtic, Waterford U-21's) is a centre midfielder. Good tackler, strong on the ball. Conor Sinnot (All Blacks, Reading, loaned to Limerick) plays in midfield. Jason Murphy (Wexford Bohs) plays midfield/up front.

Other players I know of are Liam O' Loughlin (St. Cormacs) who plays up front. He's small, but strong and fast. Marty Kelly (St. Cormacs) is better known around the county as a hurler but he's meant to be a handy player. Shane Dunphy (Adamstown, Waterford U-21's) is 23 and plays in goal. Ducker Hawkins (Ferns Utd) is 23 aswell, think he was on the books at Waterford last season. Stuart Lawlor and Fran Hore are both from North End, Stuart plays in the backs and Fran is a wide midfielder. He played U-21 with Bray for a while. John Hudson (Ajax) played intercounty football for Wexford the last few years, and plays up front.

How are you Mick? Best of luck with this new venture :)

ForzaWexford
08/02/2007, 6:25 PM
How are you Mick? Best of luck with this new venture :)

Ah I'm just a fan! Know most of the youngsters from playing with or against them, and the others from seeing them play junior.

sligoman
08/02/2007, 7:47 PM
Did any of the squad previously play with an EL team?

GavinZac
08/02/2007, 8:00 PM
Ah I'm just a fan! Know most of the youngsters from playing with or against them, and the others from seeing them play junior.

I have my suspicions! Your little signature slogon also appears on my replica shorts from the time Wallace sponsored Cork City. Co-incidence? I think not :p Also, you/Mick is a big Italian football fan - forza juve etc etc ;)

ForzaWexford
08/02/2007, 9:15 PM
I doubt Mick has the free time to check up on this site 2 or 3 times a day!

Trust me, im usually right. ;)

DmanDmythDledge
08/02/2007, 9:40 PM
Lloyd Colfer has. He was with UCD and Waterford and a few other teams I think.

Maynard
08/02/2007, 10:44 PM
Does anyone want to help give a better idea of the squad, eg position played, age etc, I've started with what I know.

The squad is as follows
Paul Malone,
Richie Fitzgerald,
Sean Carmody,
Fran Hore,
John O'Leary,
David Miller,
Conor Sinnott, Midfield, Age 21
Philip Drohan,
Justin Power,
Ben Brosnan,
Stuart Dunning,
Shane Dunphy, Goalkeeper
Eamon Doyle,
Tomas 'Ducker' Hawkins, Full Back
Michael Grangel,
John Hudson,
Anthony Russell,
Diarmuid Fitzpatrick,
Anthony Rossiter,
Marty Kelly,
Liam O'Loughlin,
Gary Murphy,
John Roche,
Stuart Lawlor,
Stephen Bradley,
Tom Eames,
Jason Murphy,
Johnny Flynn,
Aaron Harpur,
Lloyd Colfer, Striker
Timmy Bolger.

Any relation?;)

G-Man
09/02/2007, 8:56 AM

a few of them did. Lloyd Colfer as mentioned, Ducker Hawkins was with Newcastle for a spell as well as Waterford, John Hudson was with Waterford too. Probably a few others but the brain is a bit slow to get in gear on this frosty morning!

stann
09/02/2007, 9:11 PM
Ducker Hawkins is a midfielder, right side or centre, and a fine player to boot.
Never a full back, for us anyway.

passinginterest
26/02/2007, 11:21 AM
So has anyone heard the finalised squad yet? Was the rumor about it being announced at 4 o'clock yesterday true?
I hope to be at the Bray game Thursday so wondering what to expect.

TheBoss
06/03/2007, 7:33 PM
Is their a squad named yet for them ?

Lim till i die
06/03/2007, 10:46 PM

Conor Sinnott roamed around our midfield looking dis-interested for six months if that counts :ball:

Philly
06/03/2007, 10:56 PM
Sinnott - is he any good?

Thunder-WYFC
06/03/2007, 11:07 PM
not really

Lim till i die
06/03/2007, 11:09 PM
Sinnott - is he any good?

I'm sure he would be if he bothered his ar$e

Tazskool
07/03/2007, 9:33 AM
Hopefully if they answer my email the next FM update will have the correct squad in it and I can follow my team alot better :)

GO WEXFORD YOUTHS!!!

Magicme
07/03/2007, 10:07 AM
Hopefully if they answer my email the next FM update will have the correct squad in it and I can follow my team alot better :)

GO WEXFORD YOUTHS!!!

You comin to the first game Taz?

Who is comin to the Mons game, need to know how many Mondogs to get the shop to cook!

Tazskool
07/03/2007, 1:21 PM
Damn shame I cant.. id love to!!! Living in England has its problems lol..

Thunder-WYFC
07/03/2007, 4:41 PM
Theres a full squad profile in a pull-out section of this weeks people paper

Tazskool
07/03/2007, 6:15 PM
ooo can you type it in here .. or scan it n send it pls???

Thunder-WYFC
07/03/2007, 6:24 PM
I'll scan it for you after the Utd game lad.

Tazskool
07/03/2007, 6:49 PM
Thanks anyways thunder....

I emailed Wexford at lunch (didnt expect a quick respsonce being honest cause I know they must be busy) but they emailed me back the simple info I asked for an lots more about the players :)

wwooohoooo PR dept is grand! :)

GO Wexford Youths!!!

passinginterest
08/03/2007, 9:47 AM
I see ya posted the squad in the team info section Taz, did ya get anything else interesting u could stick on here? I'll try get to Easons and get a copy of the Wexford People for the pull out too.
Strange there's only one goalkeeper named, and a bit worrying seeing as any of us that have seen him play so far were far from impressed.

Tazskool
08/03/2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah I found it very weird that we have 1 keeper.. but I think there are 1 or 2 other players who are also wanna be keepers if needed..

I did notice alot of defenders which is a good thing in a way cause I do see that the club are going for a solid back line and plenty of cover..

My views.. expect alot of draws this season..

Only 4 (I think) have played at a proper level before which is a useful thing for a start up team and hopefully they can help guide the team youngsters forward.

Personally I think the first few games will be out of their depth depending on who they play against... cause it will take their time to get their feet under exactly what is required, up to match speed and proper training.. As most of them have proper jobs and so forth..

I am not sure how balanced the squad is with left and right footted players as this info was not on the list of stuff they gave me lol..

ForzaWexford
08/03/2007, 11:23 AM
I think Jason Russell - Anthony's brother - has joined or is joining as another keeper. That's according to one of the fellas on the squad.

passinginterest
08/03/2007, 3:50 PM
Does anyone know anything about editing Wikipedia? I'm useless with it and don't have the patience to learn. The Wexford Youths Fc page is pretty rubbish at the moment. Someone has made the home jersey yellow and there's very little general info. Maybe someone could fix the jerseys and post up the squad list?

Tazskool
08/03/2007, 3:52 PM
I will try and get onto it later tonite..

I got bored at work and edited Wiki :)
now has the team and first half of fixtures on it..

TheBoss
10/03/2007, 5:25 PM
Can anyone make this out:

http://unison.ie/wexford_people/stories.php3?ca=37&si=1790821&issue_id=15350

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2007, 6:12 PM
Can anyone make this out:

http://unison.ie/wexford_people/stories.php3?ca=37&si=1790821&issue_id=15350
All the headings are mixed up.

TheBoss
11/03/2007, 6:27 PM
No one can figure it out !

ForzaWexford
09/05/2007, 7:20 PM
Stephen Bradley and Timmy Bolger have left the squad. Think Seve was anxious to play gaelic with Adamstown, and Timmy wasn't really getting a look-in.

brokenstar
10/05/2007, 7:31 AM
Stephen Bradley and Timmy Bolger have left the squad. Think Seve was anxious to play gaelic with Adamstown, and Timmy wasn't really getting a look-in.

Yeah, heard this last night too. Apparently Bradley had the same problem, lack of first team opportunities. Sad really when we're so early into the very first season. It's frustrating alright, that's understandable, but it's not the attitude to have if you wanna make it at a higher level

G-Man
10/05/2007, 8:39 AM
Yeah Seve was wanting to go back and play Gaelic with Adamstown alright. Wonder will the start of the GAA championship start creating some problems with lads. I know Ben Brosnan was wanting to play for Bannow as well in the Gaelic, he ended up coming on as a sub with about 10 minutes left in their game at the weekend. The likes of Marty Kelly I'm sure wouldnt risk it playing hurling with Monageer, but some of the others on the fringes like Seve and Ben might be thinking about it.

ForzaWexford
10/05/2007, 4:52 PM

Timmy was training last night seemingly so looks like I was wrong about him!

It'll be interesting to see what kind of squad we have next season. There's a lot of players being carried at the mo, and some of the lads have hardly got a look in at all.

wexman
10/05/2007, 4:54 PM
when is the transfer window? hopefully players will be brought in then

ForzaWexford
10/05/2007, 5:05 PM
I think it's July.

I'd like to see someone with a bit of an experience come in to play a holding role in midfield. Someone that could just sit in front of the back three and calm things down a bit.

BUT, I can't see us bringing anyone in, apart from maybe 1 or 2 local junior players.

DmanDmythDledge
10/05/2007, 6:15 PM
Is Timmy Bolger related to Greg Bolger?

brokenstar
11/05/2007, 7:25 AM
I think it's July.

I'd like to see someone with a bit of an experience come in to play a holding role in midfield. Someone that could just sit in front of the back three and calm things down a bit.

BUT, I can't see us bringing anyone in, apart from maybe 1 or 2 local junior players.

Can't see it happening either. Not with the ethic that Mick has in place anyway. It's an admirable stance to take, but how long can it last? I'm prepared to give it time because right from the start he asked for our patience for the first few seasons.

As for people not getting a look in; it's the same with any squad system the world over, the players have just gotta get their heads down and keep plugging away, the rewards are there and they will come to those that want it bad enough.

wexman
11/05/2007, 10:10 AM
no point having 30 players on panel when only 18 can b picked its not fair & its a sign management dont know who their best players are

ForzaWexford
11/05/2007, 1:34 PM
no point having 30 players on panel when only 18 can b picked its not fair & its a sign management dont know who their best players are

28 players were on panel at start of season. 26 on the panel now that Seve Bradley and Jason Murphy have left. There's always going to be a few players injured, or suspended. Only 16 can be picked on the night by they way, not 18.

And how could Mick and Pat have known who their best players were back when they picked the panel? How can they know now even??! It's hard to guess what players will adapt well to the LOI.

Brokenstar is right, it's only fair to give the lads a season or 2 to settle in before we really have much of a right to complain. Infact, Mick said pretty much the same thing in the papers this week.

brokenstar
11/05/2007, 1:39 PM

That's a ridiculous assumption. 30 players allows for room for squad rotation, injuries and any other unforeseen circumstances that arise throughout a long and gruelling season. Come on, look at any club competing in most leagues around the world and they have squads of 25 or more players, so why should we be any different?

Also, although Mick is a novice at this level, i'd say he has a pretty good idea of who his best players are considering he's been involved in winning All Ireland cups with Wexford for so many years. There's a few in that squad that aren't hitting their stride yet and a few who are knocking on the door of the first team, he's got a great selection and all home-grown: a team to be proud of if you're from Wexford IMO.

G-Man
11/05/2007, 2:32 PM
Thats it Wexman, bring your "Wallace Out" banner to the next game:rolleyes:

wexman
11/05/2007, 2:39 PM
lads im just concerned that players are leaving because they are not getting a look in. i believe bradley was one of the better players on squad & now hes gone same with murphy. it would b bad if all the good players leave b4 wallace finds out they are the good players then we will b left with no one wanting 2 play for us

passinginterest
11/05/2007, 4:33 PM
Wexman why'd you delete that team you had posted up?
It was interesting. I just didn't get a chance to comment on it at the time. I'd agree with you that the players you mentioned are probably good enough for the squad, the question is were they willing to commit?
Overall I think the big squad was necessary, no way of knowing who would react well to such a strict regime and heavy training schedule. The big squad allowed that some players would be injured and others just not up to it.
I'd say there could be a turnover of up to ten players come the transfer window, with some lads going back to GAA, others just not up to it and some not committed enough. Possible replaced be a few of the under 18 lads and maybe one or two of the Oscar Traynor team players you mentioned.
I don't think that's a bad thing, and I'd say keep the squad 100% local for at least 2 seasons. We won't win anything but we will find a core group of players up to the level. I'd say at that stage Wallace will step aside and Dolan will take over and bring in some outside players and look to take the whole thing to the next level.

wexman
11/05/2007, 4:43 PM
the team i had up was
L walker
(youths)

P Malone S lawlor A Russell A Rossiter
(Youths) (Youths) (youths) (youths)

A O Connor L Gleeson D Hawkins J Murphy
(oscar trainer) (Oscar trainer) (youths) (ex Youths)

F Hore
(ex Bohs)
K Dempsey or C Bolivian
(youths) (ex u 21 international)

Thunder-WYFC
12/05/2007, 9:23 AM
Would defo agree with you on Lee in the goal and possibly Kyle up front.Seen Fran play and wasn't to impressed tbh.

Oh yea Carlos also looks a great player and will be playing Premier football next season with a very good Duncannon side imo!

ForzaWexford
12/05/2007, 1:25 PM
That's not a bad team.....no room for Conor Sinnot, Marty Kelly or Garret Larkin though??

Mick's always going to play 3 at the back aswell, with 2 wide midfielders dropping back to defend when we don't have the ball. Did Anthony O' Connor go to the trials for this team?? I'd say he's good enough to make it. I doubt Jason Murphy will be back though, and it's his own fault really.

Leighton Gleeson would easily make the team. Fran Hore wouldn't. I'd say both Kyle and Lee will be involved with the U21's this year, don't know if Mick will pick them for the adults though.....although Kyle, on his day, is as good a striker as we have. Can't really comment on Carlos becaue I only saw him training a few times!