PDA

View Full Version : Why do Ireland fans....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lim till i die
08/02/2007, 11:13 AM
Feel the need to deface the Irish flag with all manner of crap. Names of pubs, restaurants, their own name :eek: (Who the fupp is Davy Keogh)

Some of them are pretty embarresing:

"Bournemouth Fighting Irish" :rolleyes:

Also whoever had Chelsea flags at an Ireland match is a moron of the very highest calibre :rolleyes:

Soper
08/02/2007, 11:15 AM
It's a faaarrrccceeeeee

Lim till i die
08/02/2007, 11:16 AM
It's a faaarrrccceeeeee

:D :p

galwayhoop
08/02/2007, 11:19 AM
Feel the need to deface the Irish flag with all manner of crap. Names of pubs, restaurants, their own name :eek: (Who the fupp is Davy Keogh)

Also whoever had Chelsea flags at an Ireland match is a moron of the very highest calibre :rolleyes:

don't really agree with you too much LTiD but you're spot on here. that chelsea one in particular really takes the biscuit

Dr. Ogba
08/02/2007, 11:20 AM
That one with "Foot.ie on tour" was particularly displeasing....

Pauro 76
08/02/2007, 11:34 AM
The Monaghan Boys on Tour one annoys me. What the hell do Homer and Bart Simpson got to do with Ireland?

WeAreRovers
08/02/2007, 11:35 AM

Because the muppets have no clubs of their own to support so they deface the flags with the name of their local boozer. Pathetic beyond belief.

There's nothing wrong with Shamrock Rovers, Cork City or Bohemians etc on a tricolour, that's what every other nation's fans do. But our self-hating olé olérs don't even follow their own clubs. :rolleyes:

KOH

Lim till i die
08/02/2007, 11:36 AM
The Monaghan Boys on Tour one annoys me. What the hell do Homer and Bart Simpson got to do with Ireland?

Careful your going to start up the whole 2nd generation argument again :p

pete
08/02/2007, 11:47 AM
It should be a criminal offence like burning the flag in the USA.

Think of how many people died so we could fly our flag.

as_i_say
08/02/2007, 11:52 AM
eh bit of an over reaction there lads...

WeAreRovers
08/02/2007, 11:56 AM
eh bit of an over reaction there lads...

Eh, I have an aversion to my fellow countrymen embarrassing me wherever they go. Apologies for that. :rolleyes:

KOH

NY Hoop
08/02/2007, 11:59 AM
Feel the need to deface the Irish flag with all manner of crap. Names of pubs, restaurants, their own name (Who the fupp is Davy Keogh)

1000% correct. Anyone who defaces an Irish tricolour with an english club should be put down. Include davy keogh in that. Absolute embarrassment to humanity.

What WAR says is spot on.

A tricolour with fcuking chelsea on it? For the love of christ what is wrong with these vermin?:rolleyes:

KOH

Soper
08/02/2007, 12:01 PM
Ah sure Premiership is our local league

Chippy
08/02/2007, 12:05 PM
KOH

What does the KOH that yourself & We Are Rovers use represent ???? You hardly both have the same initials, do you ????

Eire06
08/02/2007, 12:20 PM
Please note section 17 of
Government Guidelines for use of the National Flag (http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/RTF%20files/The%20National%20Flag.rtf)

17 The National Flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events.

but

The following guidelines are to assist persons in giving due respect to the National Flag. Observance of the guidelines contained in this booklet is a matter for each individual because there are no statutory requirements. It is expected, however, that the National Flag will be treated at all times with appropriate respect by those who use it.
The Department of the Taoiseach has general responsibility in relation to the National Flag. This responsibility is primarily concerned with the protocol for the flying of the flag. The Department’s role, therefore, is an advisory one

SO its not against the law

Peadar
08/02/2007, 12:24 PM
What does the KOH that yourself & We Are Rovers use represent ???? You hardly both have the same initials, do you ????

It stands for "Keep On Hoping" as that's all they have to hang onto, these days. :D

Rovers heads will tell your that it was the salutation on their recorded helpline message, "Keep On Hooping!"

We all know the truth though. ;)

youngirish
08/02/2007, 12:34 PM
San Marino. Now there's a country with a bit of respect for its flag. I'm supporting their football team from now on.

WeAreRovers
08/02/2007, 12:37 PM
It stands for "Keep On Hoping" as that's all they have to hang onto, these days. :D

Jaysus, that's poor Peadar. Looking forward to hating CCFC again and a few trips to the Cross this year. In fairness the Kilcoyne Our Hero banner was good.

As for "that's all they have to hang onto, these days" - we made a profit last year, won some silverware, kept our talented young squad together and are looking forward to this season more than any in a longtime. How are Cork City doing financially these days? kept many of your squad?

KOH

cavan_fan
08/02/2007, 12:45 PM
Yes this is the biggest problem with Irish football, sort it out and it will be all roses

Peadar
08/02/2007, 2:00 PM
How are Cork City doing financially these days? kept many of your squad? KOH

New investment, new sponsor, new stand, new players, new league, biggest active fan base in the country. Welcome back to a competitive league. Hope your partime kids & miniscule budget can cope...
Looking forward to seeing your defaced Tricolours back at The Cross.

wws
08/02/2007, 2:01 PM
As for "that's all they have to hang onto, these days" - we made a profit last year, won some silverware, kept our talented young squad together and are looking forward to this season more than any in a longtime. How are Cork City doing financially these days? kept many of your squad?

KOH

well they're 10k lighter after the handbag snatcher did his worst

Peadar
08/02/2007, 2:03 PM
well they're 10k lighter after the handbag snatcher did his worst

Long got capped last night. All square again...

wws
08/02/2007, 2:08 PM
wow!

the world of high finance sure moves fast! ;)

Peadar
08/02/2007, 2:13 PM
the world of high finance sure moves fast! ;)

Yeah, I just hope we invest it as wisely as you did with the €1,150 you got from the Doyle transfer. :D

WeAreRovers
08/02/2007, 2:38 PM
Long got capped last night. All square again...

Not so, Delaney is having that game expunged from the records.

KOH

Peadar
08/02/2007, 2:46 PM
Not so, Delaney is having that game expunged from the records.

Delaney and Staunton view last nights game as a success.
They want it highlighted as an historic victory!

They even want a few Tricolours defaced, to commemorate it...

Marked Man
08/02/2007, 8:19 PM

Why were you even watching? I thought you didn't consider yourself Irish (at least you claimed as much on the Irish Language thread a while back).

supasparx
08/02/2007, 9:44 PM
1000% correct. Anyone who defaces an Irish tricolour with an english club should be put down. Include davy keogh in that. Absolute embarrassment to humanity.

What WAR says is spot on.

A tricolour with fcuking chelsea on it? For the love of christ what is wrong with these vermin?:rolleyes:

KOH

I happen to know the guy who owns said chelsea flag, which he insists is in reference to the area of london as opposed to the club (although he does follow them)
So if thats the case, he's just as bad as anyone who puts there home town on a flag. Myself included.

Also a big hello to the 'true' supporter in Bologna, who sptted my RISSC supporters club 'london' branch t-shirt and told me the Irish team doesn't need support from the 'Brits'. :eek: And I'm from Dublin:confused:

backstothewall
08/02/2007, 10:17 PM
13 When the National Flag has become worn or frayed it is no longer fit for display, and should not be used in any manner implying disrespect.

I hope whoever wrote this hasn't been up the Falls Road recently (any time in the last 30 years that is)

Lim till i die
09/02/2007, 8:13 AM
Why were you even watching? I thought you didn't consider yourself Irish (at least you claimed as much on the Irish Language thread a while back).

I'm sorry, I had no idea this barred me from every watching a football match again :rolleyes:

I was flicking over to England and Spain on occassion aswell if that helps you sleep at night

Jeez, those Irish Americans, they really are more Irish than the Irish themselves :rolleyes:

magic moments
09/02/2007, 12:27 PM
I happen to know the guy who owns said chelsea flag, which he insists is in reference to the area of london as opposed to the club (although he does follow them)
So if thats the case, he's just as bad as anyone who puts there home town on a flag. Myself included.

Also a big hello to the 'true' supporter in Bologna, who sptted my RISSC supporters club 'london' branch t-shirt and told me the Irish team doesn't need support from the 'Brits'. And I'm from Dublin:confused:

Yea i know him as well top man hes followed rep ireland for over 25years just because he supports chelsea( i do too)(maybe its a (london/irish thing).;)

As for the guy who said to you we don't need the brits support if he said that to me he would have left saying sorry:mad:

Peadar
09/02/2007, 12:35 PM
People are free to support whoever they want. Most of us, however, believe that the names of British football clubs have no business being on an Irish flag.
I pity people who have a need to bring Irish flags to games involving non Irish clubs. I have even greater pity for the people who feel the need to put that clubs name on an Irish flag. It's beyond being sad!

magic moments
09/02/2007, 1:00 PM
People are free to support whoever they want. Most of us, however, believe that the names of British football clubs have no business being on an Irish flag.
I pity people who have a need to bring Irish flags to games involving non Irish clubs. I have even greater pity for the people who feel the need to put that clubs name on an Irish flag. It's beyond being sad!

I take your points on board i have mixed feelings on this but i have even more pity/anger at comments made at people who are born in england/ scotland wales etc who follow ireland and get abuse for it:( where were some of these mugs before big jack:p

lopez
09/02/2007, 1:01 PM
I object to foreign teams on the flag. But I don't see why a foreign place shouldn't be on it and an Irish place should.

My two cents for the muppet not wanting Brits supporting the team. Is that the same for the players? I was thinking more of Euro 88, Italia 90 and US 94, than the other night.

NY Hoop
09/02/2007, 1:22 PM
I take your points on board i have mixed feelings on this but i have even more pity/anger at comments made at people who are born in england/ scotland wales etc who follow ireland and get abuse for it:( where were some of these mugs before big jack:p

Anyone who abuses people born outside Ireland for supporting Ireland is scum. Guy who did it probably "supports" an english club too:rolleyes:

Anyone who puts a british club on a tricolour is an idiot.

KOH

Peadar
09/02/2007, 1:44 PM
But I don't see why a foreign place shouldn't be on it and an Irish place should.

Not advocating that either but it's easier to comprehend.
I've always believed that the lack of an emblem on the Irish flag, was facilitating the problem.
If the state crest was on it, it would be more unique and less likely to be defaced.
The Spanish (http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/history/images/spanish_flag2.jpg) and Portuguese flags (http://www.allstates-flag.com/images/full-size/flags/international/portugal.gif) are classic examples.
You never see them defaced!

tetsujin1979
09/02/2007, 1:46 PM
Anyone who abuses people born outside Ireland for supporting Ireland is scum. Guy who did it probably "supports" an english club too:rolleyes:

Anyone who puts a british club on a tricolour is an idiot.

KOH
What about someone born outside Ireland who supports Ireland, but has no links with a eL club?
Let's say they're a season ticket holder at Arsenal - some of our best players ever have represented the gunners - and he sticks the Arsenal logo on it, and gets abused by someone from Ireland for it.
Who is worse - the scum or the idiot?

NY Hoop
09/02/2007, 1:52 PM
What about someone born outside Ireland who supports Ireland, but has no links with a eL club?
Let's say they're a season ticket holder at Arsenal - some of our best players ever have represented the gunners - and he sticks the Arsenal logo on it, and gets abused by someone from Ireland for it.

Have you ever seen an Irish club on a st georges cross flag?

It is fcuking embarrassing and there is no justification whatsoever for putting a british club on a tricolour. None. I dont care if he founded arsenal.

KOH

tetsujin1979
09/02/2007, 1:56 PM
Have you ever seen an Irish club on a st georges cross flag?

It is fcuking embarrassing and there is no justification whatsoever for putting a british club on a tricolour. None. I dont care if he founded arsenal.

KOH
How many England fans living in Ireland do you know that follow eircom League clubs?

Ordinary Fan
09/02/2007, 1:58 PM
You are all taking this very serioue, people mean no disrespect to the flag.
I would not do it myself but it is hardly worth all this anguish.

NY Hoop
09/02/2007, 2:00 PM
How many England fans living in Ireland do you know that follow eircom League clubs?

Actually a few. They've said its more real here watching football. Point remains however.

KOH

Dublin12
09/02/2007, 2:13 PM
http://www.barmyflags.com/getthumb.php?filename=flags/20040112214721.jpg

It's not the end of the world is it,stop moaning and whinging,people can do what they want.I don't follow Liverpool btw but think the flag in the link looks good,and if it makes the owner happy well so be it.Stop being so pc and serious.

supasparx
09/02/2007, 2:17 PM

Ironicaly there is a stall down at arsenal which sells tricolours with the arsenal crest on the middle of it. Although I've never felt the need to buy one.
How would we feel about 'Chelsea' fans objecting to a tricolour being hung out at stamford bridge? I personally would feel that they were being racist.
Good for goose, good for gander, no?

Soper
09/02/2007, 2:18 PM
It's nothing to do with 'PC', infact if anything you are being politically correct.

Peadar
09/02/2007, 2:18 PM
I don't follow Liverpool btw but think the flag in the link looks good,and if it makes the owner happy well so be it.

There are legitimate grounds to burn that flag!
Disgusting lack of respect!
Liverpool fans are some of the worst offenders...

Soper
09/02/2007, 2:24 PM
Peadar is right.I remember reading how the 'soul crew' bumped into a coachload of fools call themselves the 'Welsh Reds', with loads of Welsh flags defaced (not that it already isn't with the dragon on it).

Needless to say, the 'Reds' were given some souveneirs of the meeting.

Paddy Garcia
09/02/2007, 2:26 PM
Also a big hello to the 'true' supporter in Bologna, who sptted my RISSC supporters club 'london' branch t-shirt and told me the Irish team doesn't need support from the 'Brits'. :eek: And I'm from Dublin:confused:

What an arsehole - that's disgraceful

bennocelt
09/02/2007, 2:27 PM
has anyone noticed now at chelsea games some **** can be seen waving the irish falg behind the goals

i think no british teams should be on the flag, its ireland your should be supporting, not some bloody british team that you have no connections with

NY Hoop
09/02/2007, 2:32 PM
has anyone noticed now at chelsea games some **** can be seen waving the irish falg behind the goals

i think no british teams should be on the flag, its ireland your should be supporting, not some bloody british team that you have no connections with

Proper order. Tell that to dublin12 and his stupid flag.

Anybody who waves a tricolour at the bridge deserves the inevitable beating.

KOH

Soper
09/02/2007, 2:33 PM
There's always a Ukraine flag beside it too.