Henderson

Finnan O'Shea Dunne Harte

Kilbane Ireland Carsley Duff

Keane Long

Why oh Why Ian Harte!?!?!

pete
06/02/2007, 12:21 PM
O'Shea :rolleyes:

I presume Duff will play on the right. Normally a defender of Kilbane but think shoudl have more attacking player as its only San Marino & pace more important than strength.

Long is the correct choice as proven at much higher level that Stokes.

eirebhoy
06/02/2007, 12:22 PM
He's a better option at left back than O'Shea surely. Kilbane and Harte on the left is poor though. O'Shea must be the best trainer in the world...

AustinoAsprilla
06/02/2007, 12:23 PM
I would have gone more attacking then Kilbane as well. Pity Elliot and McGeady are out.

Stokes would have more experience than Long at this early stage though? Hopefully he'll get on at some stage though. Great opportunity for Long to get his first Ireland goal though...

pineapple stu
06/02/2007, 12:25 PM
So we're dropping McShane - who was superb against the Czechs - for O'Shea, who was rubbish again and cost us their goal?

Makes sense.

eirebhoy
06/02/2007, 12:26 PM
I wasn't too fussed who started between Long and Stokes.

pete
06/02/2007, 12:26 PM
Stokes would have more experience than Long at this early stage though? Hopefully he'll get on at some stage though. Great opportunity for Long to get his first Ireland goal though...

Few months of SPL v few games in Championship & Premiership.

pineapple stu
06/02/2007, 12:27 PM
Stokes has a proven track record of scoring against poor teams though. ;)

shakermaker1982
06/02/2007, 12:27 PM
FFS O'Shea and Kilbane AGAIN.

DeNiro
06/02/2007, 12:35 PM
The McShane omission is a little worrying. He still needs experience. No better game than this to get it in! I'd love to know Staunton's thinking behind this as it's unlikely McShane will be involved. Harte might be a decent bet for a goal!

elroy
06/02/2007, 12:36 PM
Why oh why Kilbane and O'Shea!!! I think harte is a good choice at LB, he's back playing top flight football so worth a shot.

But Kilbane on the right - why?!?!?!

cavan_fan
06/02/2007, 12:36 PM
The fact McShane hasnt been starting regularly for West Brom gives Stan the exuse to call up O'Shea. Worryign thing is that he's unlikely to be shown up against SM and may be in line to start v Wales.

Kilbane is a bit of a crap choice though I guess with A Reid and McGeady out the other options were Hunt and S Quinn.

Kingdom
06/02/2007, 12:40 PM
While I'm not happy Kilbane is playing and absolutely disgusted O'Shea starts ahead of McShane, I'm not surprised by it. I've kept saying all along that we have a small team and that one or both of these two lads would be accomodated because of their height. I'd say he's picked both of them and Harte on the basis that we'll get plenty of set pieces and they would be useful on that basis.
Doesn't make selecting both of them the right thing to do though.

hoops1
06/02/2007, 12:44 PM
Henderson

Finnan O'Shea Dunne Harte

Kilbane Ireland Carsley Duff

Keane Long

Why oh Why Ian Harte!?!?!

Because Harte is good at set pieces and wont have much/any defending
to do.

cavan_fan
06/02/2007, 12:44 PM
I've decided I'm really p*ssed off about this. Picking O'Shea instead of McShane is saying to the whole squad "It doesnt matter if you play well, I'm going to pick on reputation only."

Picking Kilbane instead of S Quinn and Hunt is just stupid. You should give players their debut when they are playing well. Here's a chance for one of the 2 (who are playing the best football of their career) to come in and give us an option. Instead we have Kilbane playing whcih adds nothing to our knwoledge.

Irish_Praha
06/02/2007, 12:50 PM
FFS O'Shea and Kilbane AGAIN.

I know :rolleyes:

That makes it look more and more likely that he plans on giving these two a starting role for the games in March :(
However, Andy Reid, McGeady and Elliott might be back so they would also be candidates for RMF or Kilbane or O'Shea might get injured. So we have some hope yet :p

I know its not much of a challenge but it's a competitive game and we can only use three subs. So I guess, barring injury, he plans on sticking with the same back 4 for the full 90 and maybe bringing on Stokes and two midfielders, probably Hunt for Kilbane and S. Quinn for Ireland.

This is the kind of game McShane needs to be playing before the more difficult ones next month. He had a very decent first cap but he needs more experience.

I have nothing against Hart at LB, espcially in this game. Did he play against Real over the weekend? There is no stand-out player for this position and at least he's good at set-pieces.

Again the choice between Long or Stokes is a close one so no complaints there either, so long as Stokes get a good 20 mins at the end. Also Long is starting and scoring for his club at the moment, Stokes isn't.

Again my biggest disappointment is O'Shea at CB. Making it look like Dunne and O'Shea are his no. 1 CB partnership! Maybe I'm wrong and McShane will get some playing tomorrow time but i doubth it.

soccerc
06/02/2007, 12:50 PM
source?

DeNiro
06/02/2007, 12:57 PM
It would be good to see Long and Stokes finish the game. Maybe give Keane a rest, because he'll be tired from waving his hands in the air all the time. Giving out about how the mighty San Marino defenders are outfoxing him. I think it might sober him up to take him off 25 mins from time for Stokes and let him know the time isn't built around him. Will be interesting to see Stephen Ireland and what he can produce. Has been playing well of late.

Wolfie
06/02/2007, 12:57 PM
Disappointing that McShane is dropped for O'Shea. An ideal match for McShane to get further imbedded into the team.

Thought Hunt might have been given a shout ahead of ruddy Kilbane.

Some of these selections are probably explained by "these are the lads with the experience". Problem is, a lot of the experieced ones are not doing the business.

Achy Breaky Harte - gets in as there's not many alternatives at left full at the minute. Possibly could have tried Kilbane there.

Kingdom
06/02/2007, 12:58 PM
McShane could be carrying an injury? I doubt it but its possible! I felt we were pretty lethargic in the last game and only seemed to push on when the ginger one took matters into his own hands and won us the penalty.
If he's been dropped I feel sorry for the lad. Kinda ironic that he left United in order to get first team football and has been dropped for a player content to sit on his arsa at OT and play in meaningless games or as substitute when games are already won.

cavan_fan
06/02/2007, 12:58 PM
source?

Certianly not the rte website which almost an hour later doesnt have the team. It does have bang up to date news on Liverpool's takeover.

I know this is a bit off topic but rte.ie is sh*t. What's the point in them concentrating on English sporting news. Anyone who wants this goes to bbc or one of the many excellent UK sports sites. The only way anyone uses rte.ie is for Irish news.

I'm having an angry day:mad:

jbyrne
06/02/2007, 1:06 PM
Why oh why Kilbane and O'Shea!!! I think harte is a good choice at LB, he's back playing top flight football so worth a shot.

But Kilbane on the right - why?!?!?!

mcshane has a bit of a knock and is on a yellow. two important games coming up at home

an away game against anyone needs experienced players and with ireland in ctre mid already playing hunt would make our midfield a little inexperienced

DotTV
06/02/2007, 1:11 PM
McShane hasn't played much for West Brom and as jbyrne just pointed out he's on a yellow.
I would have given Hunt a chance too but we all know what happened in Cyprus when a few inexperienced players go a chance.I'd say Stan is playing it safe and sticking with what he knows.Looking forward to seeing Ireland, he's put in some great performances for Man City recently.
Get on Harte at 2/1 to score at anytime.San Marino always swell the defence and give away frees and Hartey is lethal from 25 yards!

bellavistaman
06/02/2007, 1:14 PM
im delighted to see harte back at left back.. id prefer to see hunt start over kilbane but wouldnt complain too much bout it. i also agree with stan with o'shea and dunne no1 centre backs. only my own opinion tho.really looking forward to watch stephen ireland play hope he carries on his good form.

Wolfie
06/02/2007, 1:14 PM
Hartey is lethal from 25 yards!

He's lethal for the 25 yards of space he concedes to the opposition at times.

Seano
06/02/2007, 1:16 PM
Definitey Hunt should be starting based on his recent performances

Leeza
06/02/2007, 1:20 PM
I see John O Shea is starting... After all, he plays for Man United, he MUST be good :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
06/02/2007, 1:22 PM
The fact McShane hasnt been starting regularly for West Brom gives Stan the exuse to call up O'Shea.
He has started all but one of the last 13.

pete
06/02/2007, 1:36 PM
Only reason to drop McShane would be injury but then why in the squad...

O'Shea has played very little this season & very few minutes at centre back.

His league games this year he has played 11, 90, 0, 11 and 0 minutes.

:confused:

cavan_fan
06/02/2007, 1:45 PM
He has started all but one of the last 13.

But Stan may be as badly informed as me

SuperDave
06/02/2007, 1:46 PM
Ian Harte wasn't even playing at the weekend when his team won away to Real Madrid. He's just coming back from a serious injury and has only played two games this term. Surely something is wrong with Steve Staunton

inexile
06/02/2007, 1:51 PM
who are the subs then lads, ie the lads left in the squad that aren't starting!!

passinginterest
06/02/2007, 1:51 PM
McShane and Dunne were reported to be carrying injuries. So maybe didn't want to risk both. Kilbane surely only picked for strenght and height. A bit tough on S Quinn and Hunt but I can see the logic. His back tracking will give Harte cover too. Although he shouldn't need it, we hope... and pray...

passinginterest
06/02/2007, 1:52 PM
Squad confirmed here (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1676)

No subs yet

tetsujin1979
06/02/2007, 2:22 PM
from fai.ie:

A surprise was the omission of centre-back Paul McShane after his two exciting performances in his first internationals against the Czech Republic and San Marino in Dublin. McShane is, however, on a yellow card and a second yellow in this match would automatically rule him out of next month's match at Croke Park against Wales. He is also carrying an injury, for he received a gash on his calf muscle in training and manager Staunton obviously did not want to risk losing him for Ireland's first match in Croke Park.With McShane injured, O'Shea is the replacement. No point in arguing about McCarthy, he's picked up a knock at Leicester and will be out for at least 2 weeks

I'm actually ok with the starting XI, harte won't be tested much and can still deliver a decent free and cross from deep.

I'd still rather have Hunt in before Kilbane, but that's the only selection I have a problem with

eirebhoy
06/02/2007, 2:28 PM
who are the subs then lads, ie the lads left in the squad that aren't starting!!
Colgan, Randolph, McShane, Foley, Gibson, A.Quinn, S.Quinn, Hunt, O’Brien, Stokes, Keogh.

Bolded out the ones I guess will be on the bench.

galwayhoop
06/02/2007, 2:32 PM
if mcShane is injured then i suppose that JoS is the only option but i can't remember when his last good game for ireland was! goes back to the point of him only selecting 3 centre halfs in the first place. :rolleyes:

no problem with harte starting, esp. given the opposition. actually wanted to see him against madrid the last day but turned over when he wasn't playing (did he come on as a sub?).

someone said earlier that JoS must be a good trainer but nobody on earth can be as good as messer Kilbane. what is this his 70th successive start for us??? i am not one bit surprised but i am not happy - can we not even try out players who are on form when we are playing offically the worst team that we can possibly play against in a competitive international!! :mad:

cavan_fan
06/02/2007, 2:38 PM
However, Andy Reid, McGeady and Elliott might be back so they would also be candidates for RMF or Kilbane or O'Shea might get injured. So we have some hope yet :p

The problem is that these 2 seem immune to injury, they are like the Duracell bunny they just keep plodding along.

SuperDave
06/02/2007, 3:30 PM
if mcShane is injured then i suppose that JoS is the only option but i can't remember when his last good game for ireland was! goes back to the point of him only selecting 3 centre halfs in the first place. :rolleyes:

no problem with harte starting, esp. given the opposition. actually wanted to see him against madrid the last day but turned over when he wasn't playing (did he come on as a sub?).

someone said earlier that JoS must be a good trainer but nobody on earth can be as good as messer Kilbane. what is this his 70th successive start for us??? i am not one bit surprised but i am not happy - can we not even try out players who are on form when we are playing offically the worst team that we can possibly play against in a competitive international!! :mad:

He wasn't even on the bench! Two appearances this season! Though he has been out for a while. He had a trapped nerve in his leg and even the surgeon operating said it was only 50/50 he would have sensation in his feet again. Made it back though.

osarusan
06/02/2007, 3:32 PM
But Stan may be as badly informed as me

Ha ha ha!!!!:D :D :D Fantastic!

gustavo
06/02/2007, 3:51 PM
He wasn't even on the bench! Two appearances this season! Though he has been out for a while. He had a trapped nerve in his leg and even the surgeon operating said it was only 50/50 he would have sensation in his feet again. Made it back though.

I can see Harte getting back into the Levante team though once his fitness is back .

BaZmO*
06/02/2007, 3:56 PM

Those stats are extremely selective. What about the 2 previous games? I know he hasn't played that much this season for Utd. but you're slightly twisted the stats to suit your agenda.

as_i_say
06/02/2007, 4:21 PM
Initially I thought this was a staggering decision to play o shea at CB but I suppose if mcshane has a yellow then its not a bad call. I would be worried though that stan will continue to accommodate a player who has proven he has no drive or hunger to actually perform when he is picked, though again O’shea can’t continue to be blamed for actually being picked-its up to the manager to seek out the turds and drop them.

I am a big fan of kilbane ( had a muck second half against SM last time but did deliver 2 pinpoint crosses for 2 goals and lets be fair always gives 100%) but I feel that on form Hunt should have gotten the nod for a game like this-hunt has played consitently well for reading since xmas and kilbane has been having a miserable time at wigan and has been dropped from their first 11.

Good to see harte back, shame he didn’t play in the 1-0 defeat of real Madrid-would have really given him a boost.

Long deserves a shot after grabbing his chance by the horns at reading as a result of doyle’s injury.

Again though-O’shea MUST be dropped for the big games. He was the worst Irish player on the pitch against SM last time out-completing 2 yard passes was proving a problem for him

republicofwhite
06/02/2007, 4:29 PM
I'm reluctantly accepting this injury/booking explanation for McShane's omission(and by the way, he's clearly been playing regularly for WBA for the last ages) but having O'Shea there is just so fear inducing. His capacity for a mistake or critical lapse of concentation is just so palpable. McShane has already given us some sense of a security! Absolute joke that Kilbane is starting ahead of Hunt, particularly in a game like this. What more does Hunt have to do?! He's playing at an absolue peak at the moment. Delighted for Shane Long, he deserves it and I can't wait to see him out there. His pace will cause them serious problems, and I I think it could work well if Robbie plays a bit deeper and creates more.Like the idea for Stokes and Long to finish together.

tetsujin1979
06/02/2007, 4:39 PM

I'm with Bazmo*, those stats are very selective, the only defenders to have played more than O'Shea this season are the 1st choice players: Ferdinand, Neville, Vidic, Evra
Heinze was player of the season 2 years ago, and O'Shea has played way more than him.

Over the post
06/02/2007, 5:18 PM
As far as I recall, Harte at left back usually means Kilbane at left mid to help him out with the defending. Great to see Harte back, he's had a hard auld time of it with the injuries. After such a long lay-off he's still not up to speed; he was caught out badly a couple of times against Sevilla but on the other hand sent in the corner and free kick that led to Levante's goals. He didn't play against Madrid 'cos Levante's game plan was to defend with eleven players and that's not Harte's forte. Mind you, the way Madrid played I reckon even he could have kept them at bay.
In view of McShane's cards/injury I suppose the squad chosen is good. I would like to see Hunt get at least 45 mins though and the brothers Quinn and Stokes should feature too.

liaml
06/02/2007, 5:27 PM
I cannot believe he's playing O'Shea. Since McShane's on a yellow why oh why was O'Dea not called up? The lad's getting rave reviews in Scotland and can score goals as well. The rest of the teams alright, I'm not happy about Kilbane starting but I'd don't know if Stephen Quinn can play in RMF (mind you - can Kilbane?)

-Liam

Noelys Guitar
06/02/2007, 5:30 PM
Not too unhappy with this team. Harte can score goals. I can understand why Stan picked O'Shea ahead of McShane. I really believe for the first time in a while that we now have some excellent players on the bench who can change games such as Hunt(WIMO should be starting). I am actually starting to believe we can get out of this group and that Stan might improve greatly. And no I'm not off my meds or on the gargle!

shakermaker1982
06/02/2007, 5:40 PM
Kilbane is Kibane, lots of running and effort but this is international football we are talking about here not a Sunday league team. Whilst Hunt has been playing well all season the Wigan fans are questioning why Zinedine Kilbane was ever bought because of his performances this season! He needs to be a sub at the very most, same for O'Shea. Hunt needed to start and I'd rather have O'Dea at the back than bloody O'Shea. San Marino or not he is still a liability.

carloz
06/02/2007, 5:59 PM
As far as I recall, Harte at left back usually means Kilbane at left mid to help him out with the defending.

But we are playing San Marino. If Harte has any defending to do i will be shocked. This was a game to bring Hunt in and get him prepared for international football against a gang of candle stick makers, but as usual Staunton ****ed up. What can be learned by playing Kilbane?? The Wigan fans have recently been on his back and he was dropped at the weekend. His selection makes me slightly angry.