PDA

View Full Version : Why was the match @ 12?

applehunter
08/12/2002, 11:23 PM
Whats the point. People sleep in on Sundays or have to go to Mass. The atmosphere suffered as result. Lucky if there was 2000 in attendence.

Hoggies goal deserved a full house to have seen it!

What a Goal!Goal!

JDB
09/12/2002, 9:48 AM
City and Derry have an agreement to play their respective league fixtures at 12 noon: so the teams can get back home at a decent hour I suppose. That's why Derry got so ****ed off with Cork over the scheduling of the cup semi-final.

pete
09/12/2002, 10:30 AM
I think everyone hates those 12 noon starts by now.

IMO the clubs should play on their normal nights as means extra gate receipts or failing that keep them to 2 or 3pm a sunday - i'd say the early sunday start means about half the gate receipts at both venues.

patsh
09/12/2002, 10:56 AM
Longford are happy with a Saturday night, so I think Derry should settle for the same. I think there were 1500 there yesterday, but I reckon you would easily double that on a Saturday night.

Gone Away
09/12/2002, 12:12 PM
Im sure yesterdays game was the last of the "high noon" kick offs, with Lennox and their chairman agreeing to play at their usual times ie Thursday in Derry and Friday in Cork.

mouldymurphy
09/12/2002, 3:37 PM
isnt there the 160 or180 mile rule stating that clubs dont have to play on weekdays if over a certain distance away

pete
09/12/2002, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy
isnt there the 160 or180 mile rule stating that clubs dont have to play on weekdays if over a certain distance away

Think its 160 (dublin just sneaks under unsurprisingly) mile rule. Clubs cannot be forced to play on week days but there no reason they cannot make alternative arrangements themselves.

I think it only applies for the league as Waterford played a Cup game in Derry on a thursday & I be surprised if they were keen on that.