PDA

View Full Version : Our run in...

UCD_4_Life
08/12/2002, 9:01 PM
Having had a look at our games after we play $h£l$ we have a real chance of getting out of trouble.

We've got Bray, Pat's, Drogheda, Derry and Longford all of whom aren't in great form and are in the bottom half of the table.

Bray are dead and buried, we've proven that we can beat Drogheda, we can beat Derry at home. The on trouble that I can see is Longford away and they are beatable. If we can come out of those games and the $h£l$ and Cork games with 10 points the survival is almost certain.

Bray and Drogheda are still to play each-other and I'm sure that the others in the bottom half will have to play each-other once or twice before January too.

I hope we can continue our good form and not have to go to Turners Cross on the last day needing points.

Aberdonian Stu
09/12/2002, 5:11 PM
While everythin is stacked in our favour I have to be a miserable git and say that knowing our luck it'll go down to the wire.:rolleyes:

Aberdonian Stu
09/12/2002, 5:12 PM
My rating just keeps getting lower...perhaps if I posted more than once every six months...

Schumi
09/12/2002, 5:44 PM
If we're within 3 points of Drogheda after the $hels match, I think we can take them. We'll have played 4 of the top 5 teams and still be in touch.

@ndy
10/12/2002, 10:54 AM
13/12/02 Home Vs Shels 0
21/12/02 Away Vs Longford 1
27/12/02 Home Vs Derry 1
03/01/03 Home Vs Pats 1
10/01/03 Away Vs Drogheda 3
17/01/03 Home Vs Bray 3
24/01/03 Away Vs Cork 0

There it is anyway...

The way we've been playing we don't expect to lose, but lets look at it logically, so i've put the amount of points we should take realistically without being optimistic...thats another 9 points. The crucial games are obviously Drogheda and Bray. To lose either of those could prove fatal. Don't say Bray are dead and buried, they're a tough side and they know they've us and Drogs to come.

I can't get full fixtures neware, can anyone who has them post them so we see Drogs and Brays run ins.

I agree it would be great being able to enjoy Cork win or lose, but i fear we won't be able to. With the results we've been getting you'd have expected us to leapfrog Drogheda and i expected them to fall anyway despite our form , however they've taken some gutsy points aswell, away to Pats and Longford etc, even though the situation at the club seemed that there was unrest bigtime. This makes me fear that they'll get together for the run in and have a lot of spirit. I hope i'm wrong. I'm not looking 4ward to going to digifone park. Sure we'll see, but i hope our good run hasn't come too early this year.

Andy.

PS - Relegation to UCD will be disaster. In the 1st div theres no way we'd keep players like Bazza, Tony Max, McNally and Clive :<

@ndy
10/12/2002, 10:56 AM
relegation WOULD be disaster were it ever to happen...sorry lads...

Schumi
10/12/2002, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
I can't get full fixtures neware, can anyone who has them post them so we see Drogs and Brays run ins.

Fri. 13.12.02 Drogheda United v Cork City
Fri. 13.12.02 St. Patrick's Athletic v Bray Wanderers
Fri. 13.12.02 U.C.D. v Shelbourne

Fri. 20.12.02 Bray Wanderers v Drogheda United
Sat. 21.12.02 Longford Town v U.C.D.

Fri. 27.12.02 Cork City v Bray Wanderers
Fri. 27.12.02 Drogheda United v Shamrock Rovers
Fri. 27.12.02 U.C.D. v Derry City

Fri. 3.1.03 Bohemians v Drogheda United
Fri. 3.1.03 U.C.D. v St. Patrick's Athletic
Fri. 3.1.03 Shamrock Rovers v Bray Wanderers

Fri. 10.1.03 Bray Wanderers v Derry City
Fri. 10.1.03 Drogheda United v U.C.D.

Fri. 17.1.03 Shelbourne v Drogheda United
Fri. 17.1.03 U.C.D. v Bray Wanderers

Fri. 24.1.03 Bray Wanderers v Shelbourne
Fri. 24.1.03 Cork City v U.C.D.
Fri. 24.1.03 Drogheda United v St. Patrick's Athletic

The rest of the fixtures are here (http://www.fai.ie/FAI/Domestic/Fixtures.htm) .

UCD_4_Life
10/12/2002, 6:26 PM
Robbie Doyle would probably be on his merry way too if we went down.

As far as Drogheda and Brays run-ins go it looks as if bar $h£l$ and Cork we've an easier time of it than them.

I'll definitely be at Drogheda - Bray but I don't know who to cheer for. If things go our way this week then it might be Bray. If we win and Bray and Drogs lose then we'll jump Drogheda and be 6 clear of Bray, Derry and Longford play each other this week too, I think.

And things go even more our way then we could be level with Derry. And if things go even more our way then we can be 4th in no time. Shamrock Rovers are only 10 points away.;)

John-boy
10/12/2002, 11:54 PM
Robbie DOyle might stick around in order to finish his course. He's unlikely to go over to england again so if he's any sense he'll get some kind of qualification. Of course that if he's sensible. He might move lose his scholarship but continue the course with whatever wages he'll get.

sadloserkid
12/12/2002, 11:24 AM
I may even come up for the Bray game!

Schumi
12/12/2002, 12:22 PM
$hit lads, we better hide all the knives;)

sadloserkid
12/12/2002, 12:23 PM
How inappropriate is that. Besides I'm sure the 3 of ye could overpower me! :D At this rate I'll end cheering for feckin' Bray!

UCD_4_Life
12/12/2002, 10:57 PM
Derry 1-1 Longford

Wins for us and Drogheda this weekend and a Shamrock Rovers win on Monday would leave the table like this:

6. Longford 21 25
7. Drogheda 21 24
8. Derry 21 23
---------------------------
9. U.C.D. 21 22
---------------------------
10. Bray 21 16

Good lord, I do tend to count my chickens a little bit, don't I?

That would probably be the best way for things to work out though, I feel we've a better chance beating Derry at home and jumping above them rather than beating Drogheda.

UCD_4_Life
12/12/2002, 11:00 PM
And will there be a new STIG tomorrow or did you not get of your ar$e and finish it yet?;)

Schumi
13/12/2002, 2:11 PM
I resent that, you're not getting one now;)

Yeah, it's all finished, quite a good one too if I do say so myself.

sadloserkid
13/12/2002, 2:18 PM
you would say that wouldn't you! :p

UCD_4_Life
14/12/2002, 12:51 PM
Absolutely terrible.

About 5 minutes in and somehow Pat Jennings managed to...well I don't know exactly what happened but it looked as he's come for a ball that he hasn't claimed, all he needed to do was shout for the defender to move and he collects the ball and we don't go 1-0 down. Instead he tries, almost Superman-like, to fly over him and majestically catch the ball. Unforunately he kicks the defender in the head and lands rather un-superman like on the ground and drops the ball and the rest, as they say, is history. For the rest of the first half $hel$ look the better team although we have the odd attack. No Chances.

Early in the second they bring on that Dundalk reject Nesovic and he scores with his first bloody touch, To$$er.

From then on we had one or two quarter chances, no half ones. Robbie Doyle (who disappeared for large parts of the game) had a deflected effort easily saved, we had about 6 or 7 corners and not one of them even trouble their GK

I really am confused. Although we were missing our best player (Bazza) we really didn't look like the team that almost beat Bohs and that beat Cork and picked up other great results over the last 6 weeks or so. Oh, why was Clive Delaney taken off so early for Richie Purdy? He didn't look injured.

Schumi
16/12/2002, 11:35 AM
Frustrating

It's like we'd gone back to the $hite we were playing earlier in the season. Had we not conceded the early goal it might have been better but we did nothing for the whole game.

@ndy
16/12/2002, 6:12 PM
This weekend is crucial. I don't know what i want to happen. All i know is i want us to beat longford!!!

I suppose a draw between drogs and bray is for the best. We have to play Derry aswell of course. If we win two games we're safe from bottom in my book. If those two games are the 6 pointers v drogs and bray, great. I just hope we keep the spirit up. Believe we can beat Drogs Bray Derry. I think we may end up with 5 points from the last 6. So will Bray possibly :|.

It's touch and go lads...

Schumi
16/12/2002, 6:14 PM
If we only get 5 points from the last 6 games, we're fúcked. I think we need 9 to give us a shot at staying up automatically.

UCD_4_Life
16/12/2002, 6:48 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
If we only get 5 points from the last 6 games, we're fúcked. I think we need 9 to give us a shot at staying up automatically.

Wins against Drogheda and Bray are a must. Then out of the other 4 we need at least 3 draws.

We are capable of beating anyone (I think we've proven that) but we've picked the worse time to drop out of our purple(ish) patch.

Hopefully Barry won't pick up anymore enforced days off as the confidence of having him in goal is good for the defence (and my heart).

Schumi
16/12/2002, 6:51 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
Wins against Drogheda and Bray are a must. Then out of the other 4 we need at least 3 draws.

We are capable of beating anyone (I think we've proven that) but we've picked the worse time to drop out of our purple(ish) patch.

Hopefully Barry won't pick up anymore enforced days off as the confidence of having him in goal is good for the defence (and my heart).
Yeah, let's hope there's no more dodgy goals against us so.

UCD_4_Life
16/12/2002, 8:13 PM
Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Derry

Peter Hutton is the scorer. Git.

UCD_4_Life
16/12/2002, 9:53 PM
3-1 to Rovers.

Nice:D

Aberdonian Stu
20/12/2002, 2:34 PM
:mad:
I say how awful it is to find a UCD fan cheering for Rovers. True Derry aren't out of the woods and it would be nice to have someone else in the relegation dogfight but that doesn't mean it's ok to cheer for Rovers.

Schumi
20/12/2002, 3:39 PM
Originally posted by Aberdonian Stu
that doesn't mean it's ok to cheer for Rovers. Quite right, inexcusable.

Pauro 76
20/12/2002, 4:02 PM
Is Jennings playing tomorrow night??? :D

@ndy
20/12/2002, 4:33 PM
NO...but to be fair to him, it was a definite free out. Did u see it on Monday nite? Geoghan clattered Clive D who went straight into Jennings and said knacker picked up the loose ball...definite free out....

UCD_4_Life
20/12/2002, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
NO...but to be fair to him, it was a definite free out. Did u see it on Monday nite? Geoghan clattered Clive D who went straight into Jennings and said knacker picked up the loose ball...definite free out....

Stuff like that is always happening when I see it on TV, it's completely different from the way it looks at the ground. For instance Darragh Ryan's saving tackle against Cork was a sliding one when I was there but he just ran in when I saw it on TV3.

Bray 0-1 Drogheda, I hate Myler.

UCD_4_Life
21/12/2002, 10:21 PM
Derry 2-0 Pat's

Derry have heaped a lot more pressure on Pat's but have also given us a few more problems.

Schumi
23/12/2002, 1:49 PM
I still think our next 5 games are winable so it's in our own hands to get out of this.