PDA

View Full Version : Shane Long

finnpark
06/02/2007, 1:42 PM
I see that Shane Long will be starting for Ireland next week. Does these mean Cork City will be getting another cash injection.

His value will be close to E2m after this. Not bad for a player Cork values at E20000. Reading coaches have said that he will be better that Kevin Doyle in another year or two.

charliesboots
06/02/2007, 1:45 PM
I see that Shane Long will be starting for Ireland next week. Does these mean Cork City will be getting another cash injection.

His value will be close to E2m after this. Not bad for a player Cork values at E20000. Reading coaches have sid that he will be better that Kevin Doyle in another year or two.

First of all the Ireland game that he will be starting in is tomorrow not next week.

Secondly cork did not value him at €20,000. He was on amateur forms (sneaky Dolan) and this was the compensation they received for him.

Finally what was the point of your post except for being as inaccurate as possible?

charliesboots
06/02/2007, 1:47 PM
sorry about the last part I'm just grumpy today but the first two stand!

SÓC
06/02/2007, 1:52 PM
I think we got more than £20,000 for him but I'm not certain, thought it was in the region of £40,000 but I could be just thinking Euros.

Another £10k tonight for him playing for Ireland. Also have a 10% sell-on clause. He was a youth team player who played about 10 minutes senior football for City

Also Pat has done plenty wrong in the past and while I'm not one to defend Dolan normally, Shane's contract was changed from a pro one to allow him to go back to school to do his leaving due to a change in his personal circumstances. Nothing to do with Dolan being sneaky in fairness. Now how Reading ended up signing a player they never saw play...thats a different story ;)

finnpark
06/02/2007, 1:54 PM
First of all the Ireland game that he will be starting in is tomorrow not next week.

Secondly cork did not value him at €20,000. He was on amateur forms (sneaky Dolan) and this was the compensation they received for him.

Finally what was the point of your post except for being as inaccurate as possible?

The point is an eircom league club has been taken for a ride again. Shels gone bust with Stkoes valued at E3M now and Cork still part time with their past players worth around E13M. Its a scandal.

charliesboots
06/02/2007, 1:59 PM
I've already apologised for the last point and yes I agree eircom League clubs were taken for a ride. However, it was mostly their own doing.

Cork didn't need to allow the clause in Doyler's contract. Anthony Stokes was only with Shels for about 5 minutes so not really a good example.

Shane's contract was changed from a pro one to allow him to go back to school to do his leaving due to a change in his personal circumstances.

That may be so but was there something else behind it too? Dolan also had Doyle on amateur forms at Pats before Cork nicked him.

finnpark
06/02/2007, 2:04 PM
I think we got more than £20,000 for him but I'm not certain, thought it was in the region of £40,000 but I could be just thinking Euros.

Another £10k tonight for him playing for Ireland. Also have a 10% sell-on clause. He was a youth team player who played about 10 minutes senior football for City

Also Pat has done plenty wrong in the past and while I'm not one to defend Dolan normally, Shane's contract was changed from a pro one to allow him to go back to school to do his leaving due to a change in his personal circumstances. Nothing to do with Dolan being sneaky in fairness. Now how Reading ended up signing a player they never saw play...thats a different story ;)

It was 20000 euro and Doyle was 110000 euro. Stokes was 20000 too I think but I may be wrong. Its not a wonder Eircom League clubs are going out of business. They are run by very very poor business men. You don't see Drogs losing any of their stars nor Derry.

Mark Breen
06/02/2007, 2:14 PM
It was 20000 euro and Doyle was 110000 euro. Stokes was 20000 too I think but I may be wrong. Its not a wonder Eircom League clubs are going out of business. They are run by very very poor business men. You don't see Drogs losing any of their stars nor Derry.

Anthoney Stokes was not one of our Star's, he was a 16 year old kid who was offered a trail with Arsenal, Just like any kid that age if there offered a trial they go. He was not sign as a professional as he was to young so we had no say in the matter.

He is a great lost to our league (which he never played in) but looks like being a big gain to our international team.

Now Finnpark, in relation to teams losing there best players for peanuts, what would you know about that, what is your youth team like... is your moto 'not to produce players,so you can't lose them for peanuts'

Get of your high horse, yes my teamsin the ****, but least we gave it a go to try and go proffesional, what have you and your team ever brought to this league.......

charliesboots
06/02/2007, 2:15 PM
Stokes played for Shelbourne's youth team (only for a season I think) so he was an amateur.

I take your point but your examples relate to sales that occurred almost two years ago. I think we may have turned the corner and a lot of the credit has to go to Cork for the way they handled the Alan Bennett case - once bitten twice shy me thinks.

Sniffer
06/02/2007, 2:32 PM
I take your point but your examples relate to sales that occurred almost two years ago. I think we may have turned the corner and a lot of the credit has to go to Cork for the way they handled the Alan Bennett case - once bitten twice shy me thinks.

Agreed, the prices achieved for Stephen Ward and Alan Bennett mark an awakening within the eL of the potential value of our best young players now that they can slip almost immediately into the game across the water. Cork must also take credit for their stance re. Roy O'Donovan, so I feel we've turned a corner over here.

finnpark
06/02/2007, 2:35 PM
Anthoney Stokes was not one of our Star's, he was a 16 year old kid who was offered a trail with Arsenal, Just like any kid that age if there offered a trial they go. He was not sign as a professional as he was to young so we had no say in the matter.

He is a great lost to our league (which he never played in) but looks like being a big gain to our international team.

Now Finnpark, in relation to teams losing there best players for peanuts, what would you know about that, what is your youth team like... is your moto 'not to produce players,so you can't lose them for peanuts'

Get of your high horse, yes my teamsin the ****, but least we gave it a go to try and go proffesional, what have you and your team ever brought to this league.......

Well, how many players have come through the Shels youth team for Shels:rolleyes:

Dodge
06/02/2007, 2:38 PM
MOre than have gone for to Britain for "peanuts"

Some people just have no sense of the real world in Irish football

wws
06/02/2007, 2:51 PM
Long anytime scorer

6/5 with hills

5/4 betdirect

already confirmed as a starter

pete
06/02/2007, 3:00 PM
We got 40k euro (thats the currency we have his this country) for Long & i have no doubt he has improved since going to Reading. We also managed to negotiate a 10% sell on clause which hopefully we will see some cash from in the future. The only issue City fans have with this transfer is how Reading scouted him when he played little senior football.

The Bennet transfer price has moved the benchmark further so hopefully all eL clusb can build on that.

Raheny Red
06/02/2007, 3:37 PM
Well, how many players have come through the Shels youth team for Shels:rolleyes:

One AFAIK

Jerry The Saint
06/02/2007, 4:47 PM
One AFAIK

You see, if Ollie had only had a bit of patience and given youth a chance. Instead he packed the team with expensive teaboys, forcing Stokes to go abroad to find work. Stokes could have taken the eircom and Champions leagues by storm as a 16-year-old, catching the eye of Arsene Wenger who signs him for the €12 million that he would otherwise have wasted on Theo Walcott. A little forward-thinking and all Shelbourne's money woes could have been sorted. :(

SÓC
06/02/2007, 6:29 PM
Cork still part time.

We have one part time footballer and one who works full time in football between FAI and City, both over 30. All the rest are full time pros.

For Doyle yes we were taken for a ride.

Long was a youth team player (barely even in the u-21s) who's contract was nearly up. Lots of potential but no first team action aside from 10 minutes against Bray once. He's turned into a great player but we did well to get what we could IMO

eirebhoy
06/02/2007, 9:25 PM
Long anytime scorer

6/5 with hills

5/4 betdirect

already confirmed as a starter
Where did you get those odds? He's 8/11 on the Will Hills site.

wws
06/02/2007, 9:48 PM
he was 6/5 with hills
they cut to 8/11

still 5/4 bet direct

cracking bet for a starting striker against san marino

Dodge
07/02/2007, 12:16 AM
Suppose you're claiming that as your tip, Mr Robbie Keane at 4/6? ;)

Risteard
07/02/2007, 12:25 AM
Reading coaches have said that he will be better that Kevin Doyle in another year or two.
Really?
Where did you see that?
I'd very much disagree.

kingdom hoop
07/02/2007, 1:23 AM
Really?
Where did you see that?
I'd very much disagree.

disagree because in 1/2 years doyler will be the best player in the world? and long will only be the second best?:p

Irish_Praha
07/02/2007, 7:51 AM
If Lita keeps playing like he is at the moment there will only be room for one of them in the Reading starting line up and Kitson is not too bad either.

Dodge
07/02/2007, 8:15 AM
Long isn't a definite starter yet. He's behind Doyle and Lita. He's still a kid though

pete
07/02/2007, 9:24 AM
Long isn't a definite starter yet. He's behind Doyle and Lita. He's still a kid though

Doyle will be first choice when he returns. Lita is probably ahead of Kitson now but I don't think will last as unless he scores Lita close to useless (i.e. contributes nothing around him)

finnpark
07/02/2007, 9:50 AM
Really?
Where did you see that?
I'd very much disagree.

Yes, I did read this in a newspaper. It was a quote so it should be accurate.

I don't think your in a position to dissagree if you don't see him play week in week out for the reserves. Remember he has just turned 20.

finnpark
07/02/2007, 9:52 AM

That is correct. But the reading staff speak so highly of him - that is probably why Staunton is starting him ahead of Skokes and Keogh.

Dodge
07/02/2007, 9:57 AM
No, its because he's scoring goals in the EPL

finnpark
07/02/2007, 10:05 AM
No, its because he's scoring goals in the EPL

It was quoted before he started scoring goals in that league.

Dodge
07/02/2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah but he wasn't called up to any previous squads.

finnpark
07/02/2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah but he wasn't called up to any previous squads.

Thats right. But there have been a numbe rof injuries and drop in form by a number of other players.

republicofwhite
07/02/2007, 1:42 PM
Lita is not half as good as people think he is, he's been very lucky recently and is in fact a much more limited player than Long or Doyle. Both have far more to their game than Lita. Apart from tapping them them in he is useless and a guilt edged chancer. His goals at the weekend were the only good ones I've seen. His purple patch will end soon. Shane has easily been the more industrious and productive of the two since they've been playing together, doing all the hard work while Lita poached.