PDA

View Full Version : Wexford Youths in

Pages : [1] 2

BohDiddley
06/02/2007, 9:26 AM
Wexford Youths have got a First Div. licence, with Pat Dolan as 'head coach'.
Good news, even though it is the weirdest name. I hope it doesn't indicate that Wallace just sees it as a feeder club for Reading etc.

G-Man
06/02/2007, 9:48 AM
Wexford Youths have got a First Div. licence, with Pat Dolan as 'head coach'.
Good news, even though it is the weirdest name. I hope it doesn't indicate that Wallace just sees it as a feeder club for Reading etc.

from what I've heard of Micks plans, he sees it as the next step for his underage teams, instead of only one or 2 from his teams moving on to Dublin, Cork or Waterford. His main priorities are still with his u.16 and youth teams. Going to get confusing enough now, we will have the Wexford Youth team and Wexford Youths FC! Great news that it is finally confirmed.

dapman1
06/02/2007, 9:48 AM
Congrats to Wexford Youths for finally being granted a licence. I look forward to our trips down to Wexford in the summer and I am sure that you will bring some great competition to the division.

Rossi
06/02/2007, 9:52 AM
how many fans are you looking to have at a home game? Also whats the stadium like? Capacity?

passinginterest
06/02/2007, 9:59 AM
I wouldn't call it a stadium yet! I'd imagine the first few matches will be attracting a big crowd, in the thousands, but don't know if the capacity would be there for more than a few hundred. Unless Wallace can build the first 3,000 seater stand in the few weeks left to the start of the season. Delighted they got the license anyway. Will be great to have a team to support in the league. Can't wait to go out and buy a jersey.

The Man Himself
06/02/2007, 10:01 AM
they should have told them to change the name first,
wexford youths sounds like a hostel for juvenile delinquenc.

wexford county or wexford town would have been more like it.

it all getting very cosey down around the south east, waterford, wexford, kilkenny, cobh, all in the 1st division and only a few miles apart, but then again i can see waterford getting promoted back to the premier before the season starts.

Pablo
06/02/2007, 10:06 AM
Its an embarising name. More ammunition for bar stoolers methinks.

Pauro 76
06/02/2007, 10:20 AM
Stoopid name. It sounds just like a feeder club.

Dodge
06/02/2007, 10:25 AM
Strange they're allowed in without a ground. I think the name is rubbish too but good luck to them, hope they're a huge success

ifk101
06/02/2007, 10:35 AM
Strange they're allowed in without a ground...

... indeed. That's never happened before.

Don't see the problem with the name. Young Boys Berne anyone? Anyways, best of luck to them.

passinginterest
06/02/2007, 10:39 AM
There is a ground, with full dressing room facilities, training pitches etc... It just doesn't have any stands or terraces yet. At least not that I know of. There are plans for a 3,000 seat stand as I stated before. I'm sure they'll put some sort of temporary stands up in the meantime, otherwise it'll be good old standing on the sideline for all. I think all that was needed was the plan to build a stand in order to get the first division license.

Magicme
06/02/2007, 10:47 AM
I heard that there are heated seats on the bench......think am gonna bump off our kit man and take over his job!

centre mid
06/02/2007, 10:54 AM
Good luck to them, where is the ground?

MyTown
06/02/2007, 11:01 AM
Best of Luck to Wexford.

The name is their own business - what did the begrudgers want....Strawberry Fields Forever FC????? Boolavogue Celtic?????????? Ferryport Rovers?????????

I wonder what the kit will be? Will they follow the lead taken by other EL clubs like ourselves and "adapt" the local GAA colours?

It doesn't matter really. The prospect of a few more Kevin Doyles playing football in Ireland is a welcome one.

My only recollection of a Wexford man starring in the EL was when Paul Cashin (from New Ross) played for Shamrock Rovers.

The spreadsheet with distances between grounds needs updating again! It's yet another long journey for us Galwegians whenever we need to make that trip.

centre mid
06/02/2007, 11:03 AM
Would they wear black and white like wallaces' vans etc??

passinginterest
06/02/2007, 11:03 AM
The ground is in a place called Newcastle, Crossabeg. It's on the N11, the main Dublin - Wexford road. It's bout ten minutes before you come to Wexford town. Coming from Dublin its on the right hand side, before you reach Ferrycarraig.
As far as I'm aware you turn right off the N11 for the entrance to the ground. I haven't seen any entrance from the main road when passing anyway.
Don't know what parking will be like. Not sure if there's much space in the ground. Probably be relying on the genrosity of local farmers to open up their fields!

gustavo
06/02/2007, 11:10 AM
Will they be getting their own forum here now?

Dodge
06/02/2007, 11:19 AM
The name is their own business - what did the begrudgers want....Strawberry Fields Forever FC????? Boolavogue Celtic?????????? Ferryport Rovers?????????

Relax, nobody's begrudging them anything. Some of us think the name is rubbish but nobody wished them anything but success.

noby
06/02/2007, 11:19 AM
all getting very cosey down around the south east, waterford, wexford, kilkenny, cobh

Not sure if Cobh would consider themselves in the Southeast. Still, another handy away trip, for now...

Oh yeah, and what's so wrong with the name?

monutdfc
06/02/2007, 11:27 AM
Looking forward to a trip down there.
Hopefully our away game will coincide with my mam's summer holiday's in Rosslare ;)

Magicme
06/02/2007, 11:28 AM
Mite just look up my old mates from Kilmore Quay too and make a nice weekend of it down there. Its great having fresh places to go to!

Actually monutdfc they r ur old mates too!

MyTown
06/02/2007, 11:29 AM
Relax, nobody's begrudging them anything. Some of us think the name is rubbish but nobody wished them anything but success.

Presumably that includes a cup win in Inchicore next season - or maybe back-to-back league wins over Pats the season after:rolleyes:

Dodge
06/02/2007, 11:31 AM
Well obviously not that much success but I hope they survive and prosper

BohDiddley
06/02/2007, 11:33 AM
Absolutely. Some people aren't happy until they can find someone else to call a begrudger, the better to polish their own halo.
For what it's worth, I wish them the very best too, and I think it's fantastic to see an Irish business figure invest in Irish football, instead of moronically going off to Glasgow or Peter-bloody-borough. So congratulations to Mick Wallace.
Chances are they'll get good crowds, especially for games with Dublin clubs, since half the population (at least the ones who can afford to holiday in Ireland) spends summer in Wexford anyway.

ForzaWexford
06/02/2007, 11:41 AM
It's official at last! From what I've read in this thread and the little I know about the team, here's what I have to say..

There are no heated seats on the bench! They're going to be something like this (http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/images/BigImage/Corbeau/clubman.jpg).

There isn't any access to the ground off the main road. You have to turn off the N11 and drive around to the "back" of the complex. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes.

As for the ground itself, Wallace has built a very nice clubhouse, has 2 UEFA standard pitches, 3 artificial 5-a-side size training pitches, and 1 floodlit artificial training area which is twice as big as the others. Wallace has received planning permission to build another building (mainly for a gym I think), and has applied for planning permission to build a 3,000 seater stand.

The home kit is going to be O' Neills, and will be a black jersey, black knicks and black socks. I'm not sure, but I think the away kit might be orange and white.

And there's nothing wrong with the name! The vast majority of the preliminary squad are local players and a lot of them have played under Mick at U-18 level.

BohDiddley
06/02/2007, 11:47 AM
It's official at last! From what I've read in this thread and the little I know about the team, here's what I have to say..

There are no heated seats on the bench! They're going to be something like this (http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/buy-car-accessories/images/BigImage/Corbeau/clubman.jpg).

There isn't any access to the ground off the main road. You have to turn off the N11 and drive around to the "back" of the complex. It only takes 2 or 3 minutes.

As for the ground itself, Wallace has built a very nice clubhouse, has 2 UEFA standard pitches, 3 artificial 5-a-side size training pitches, and 1 floodlit artificial training area which is twice as big as the others. Wallace has received planning permission to build another building (mainly for a gym I think), and has applied for planning permission to build a 3,000 seater stand.

The home kit is going to be O' Neills, and will be a black jersey, black knicks and black socks. I'm not sure, but I think the away kit might be orange and white.

And there's nothing wrong with the name! The vast majority of the preliminary squad are local players and a lot of them have played under Mick at U-18 level.Brilliant. Look forward to going there when you come up. Still think the name's naff. What if you sign Vinny Arkins? :D
edit: We have some black gear knockin' around if you want it...

G-Man
06/02/2007, 11:53 AM
can only make assumptions, but I assume the kit will be like the youth one he has been using for years. Its an all black kit with white trim. Cant for the life of me find a picture of it anywhere but there are loads of pictures of previous squads and teams in the local papers. There was even a picture last week of the u.16 squad. He is putting in turnstiles at the ground at the moment and getting it up to safety requirements. I'd expect a big crowd to turn up for the first game out of pure interest and filter away a bit after that, but I'd still reckon it would attract quite a sizeable attendance each week. The youth teams get good attendances for their games in the championships.

Jerry The Saint
06/02/2007, 12:31 PM
Wish them well but recent experience shows that you have to be wary of a one man club. At least Ollie had Fenlon/Keely/Rico etc. to look after things like picking the team (still not clear what Dolan's role will be). To be fair, Wallace has a slightly more successful track record than Ollie did before taking over a football club. :D

fbtn
06/02/2007, 12:34 PM
Best of luck and welcome to the league.

Some travelling for us though - Cobh, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Limerick (assuming they get in) with Athlone and Kildare also half the length of the country.

Looking forward to an new away trip.

passinginterest
06/02/2007, 12:34 PM
I think Wallace has made it pretty clear that he's looking to establish the club himself then move to one side. Obviously he'll be the major financial backer, but he has the support of the Wexford league and will be looking to them to be actively involved in the future of the team.

blackholesun
06/02/2007, 12:41 PM
Great to see Wallace putting his money into Irish football ... good man Mick!

But black kit? Strange, I think he should have gone for the county colours.

bhs

Mr A
06/02/2007, 12:47 PM
All the very best to Wexford in the eircom League. Looking forward to coming down there and wrecking yis twice this season :)

Mr A
06/02/2007, 12:49 PM
Incidentally isn't it a bit ominous for L37 that the FAI have made no similar announcement for them yet? They've had the applications for ages at this stage after all.

Leeza
06/02/2007, 12:54 PM
The names shocking... Wexford Wanderers or something even might of been decent...

OneRedArmy
06/02/2007, 12:56 PM
Incidentally isn't it a bit ominous for L37 that the FAI have made no similar announcement for them yet? They've had the applications for ages at this stage after all.Article in the Indo says they had to suspend work on the L37 application for 2 weeks due to the injunction but are working through it and hope to have an announcement in the next week or two.

I'd be surprised if they didn't get in either.

Hoping to draw Wexford in the Cup and if there's someone who is well placed to build a good ground quickly, its got to be Mick Wallace!

Good to see some positive news in relation to the League for a change.

Peadar
06/02/2007, 1:01 PM
Can we get a Wexford section included in the eircom League Clubs forum here? Can't wait to meet their fans. :D

AustinoAsprilla
06/02/2007, 1:21 PM
Any ideas who'll they sign up for this season? Will they start with a selection from the Wexford Youth team they have? Or will just play Shels home and away to keep it fair?

paudie
06/02/2007, 1:24 PM
The names shocking... Wexford Wanderers or something even might of been decent...

I think he chose to name to emphasise that the club is a continuation of the Wexford District underage teams that he's been running for years.

Also I heard he is Juventus season ticket holder and Juventus is Latin for "Youth".

Needless to say good luck to them.

Poor Student
06/02/2007, 1:24 PM
I don't see why people are going on about the club being set up as a feeder club. Cork have sold 3 players recently to Reading whether they wanted to or not and joking aside they are no one's feeder club. If a player emerges from this league good enough to play for Reading or indeed any of the top two flights in England, he will almost certainly be off. If Wexford could actually produce that kind of a player on a regular basis then I'll take my hat off to them.

I think the club will be a very interesting experiment with some good promise. They been solidly built up from the grass roots, have excellent facilities and strong financial backing. It remains to be seen how successful their local only policy will be and how long they'll retain it for. There'll also be questions hanging over the whole thing with Pat Dolan about but that's not to say he couldn't prove to be quite positive.

oriel
06/02/2007, 1:25 PM
I'm sorry to say I`ve never actually been to Wexford (rosslare port hardly counts), def looking forward to a trip down this summer

Welcome aboard lads.

dcfcsteve
06/02/2007, 1:27 PM

Good news for the league. Sh!t name. Stating that does not make you a "begrudger"... :rolleyes:

As for "what did the begrudgers want" regarding names - you've had obvious and sensible suggestions already on this thread. Like Wexford Town or Wexford County. But I guess they wouldn't have let you craic your little joke about "Strawberry Fields Forever FC".... :o

Good to see the league encompassing a completely new territory. I do hope that Wallace isn't going to just continue putting most of his focus on the youth teams, and then just treat the senior team as a new destination point from there. If he makes that mistake they will do nothing in the league, fail to create a fan base, and generally struggle.

Also think they've missed a trick by sharing team colours with Athlone, rather than using their county ones, but can understand why he'd want the senior team to match his other sides.

Looking forward to seeing TV coverage of the first Wexford game !

Pauro 76
06/02/2007, 1:31 PM
Also I heard he is Juventus season ticket holder and Juventus is Latin for "Youth".

Ah forgot about that... hope they make a name for themselves. All black eh? anything's better than their county colours, yellow and purple, the worst county colour combo apart from Carlow. ;)

dcfcsteve
06/02/2007, 2:02 PM
the worst county colour combo apart from Carlow. ;)

Works for Ghana..... ! :D

CuanaD
06/02/2007, 2:07 PM
Ferryport Rovers?????????

Not a bad name IMHO:D

Way to get the Ref on your side - wear his colours ;)

passinginterest
06/02/2007, 2:24 PM
Any ideas who'll they sign up for this season? Will they start with a selection from the Wexford Youth team they have? Or will just play Shels home and away to keep it fair?

I posted the preliminary squad here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=49993&page=3&highlight=wexford+youths) before. It's all local players. Think 4 with some Eircom league experience, almost all played for Wallace Youth teams.

MyTown
06/02/2007, 2:26 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;617725]Good news for the league. Sh!t name. Stating that does not make you a "begrudger"... :rolleyes:

As for "what did the begrudgers want" regarding names - you've had obvious and sensible suggestions already on this thread. Like Wexford Town or Wexford County. But I guess they wouldn't have let you craic your little joke about "Strawberry Fields Forever FC".... :o

Steve:
Sorry my proposed names were not to your taste & just not as sensible as Town or County - I guess I'd feel the same if you entered the league as landonDerry City -

Good to see the league encompassing a completely new territory.

AFAIK, the League only encompassed new territory when they admitted your boys - still not sure how Finn Harps feel about it?

Also think they've missed a trick by sharing team colours with Athlone,

Think Athlone wear the same home kit as Inter Milan i.e. Black & Dark Blue vertical stripes - not what is worn by refs or currently by Wexfod Youths.
Still - don't let the facts get in the way of your "superior" posting.:o

NY Hoop
06/02/2007, 2:38 PM
Good news for the league. Dont see anything wrong with the name. At least it is different and as someone has pointed out Young Boys Berne.

Fair play to Wallace for putting money into this rather than some crap english club.

Lets hope they get a website up and running. Are there any pics of their ground?

Though I dont envy Wallace in dealing with the FAI/EL.

KOH

Dodge
06/02/2007, 2:47 PM
He's builder/developer, I'm sure he's used to dealing with clueless cowboys.

BTW I applaud the fact they've chosen different colours to the GAA team

dcfcsteve
06/02/2007, 2:49 PM
Dont see anything wrong with the name. At least it is different and as someone has pointed out Young Boys Berne.

What is this notion that, just because an average team in Switzerland have a similar name to 'Wexford Youths', that somehow makes it less of a silly or peculiar title for a senior football team in Ireland to choose ? :confused:

Why not 'Wexford Stanley' then ? Or 'Wexford & Diamonds' ? How's about 'Wexford Orient', 'Wexfordonians' or 'Wexford Caldeonian Thistle / Wexford Hibernian Shamrock'........? :confused:

I still reckon the name will be changed in the first 2-3 seasons. Football is all about money and support, and key to that is the image and marketability of a club. A name like 'Wexford Youths' for a senior team just won't cut the mustard in that regards.

BohDiddley
06/02/2007, 2:52 PM
That only makes it worse (http://www.antijuve.com/index_eng.html)!