PDA

View Full Version : When Saturday comes

oriel
05/02/2007, 8:13 PM
Not sure if many read this mag, i do and its quite good, there is a full page on dermot ahern`s suggestion of an all ireland lge in this months (march) edition

actually there is generally at least two irish football articles each year in the mag, i was thinking of doing one myself about the new fai lge and maxi's stunt but thought better of it, uk readers would have an even worse view of our product then

monzo
05/02/2007, 8:53 PM
Any chance of scanning it in for us, oriel?

Poor Student
05/02/2007, 9:33 PM
uk readers would have an even worse view of our product then

Sure they have more respect for this league than the barstoolers.

Paddyfield
05/02/2007, 9:53 PM
...actually there is generally at least two irish football articles each year in the mag...

Yeah, there was a great article in WSC about a top striker in England versus a top (?) striker in Ireland. I guess it must be ten years since the article apperaed.

The English player earned an absurd amount of money, had a garage full of new cars, lived in a mansion and was followed everywhere by media and fans. His name was Alan Shearer.

The Irish lad earned a few measly quid, drove a battered Nissan Micra and, as a Monaghan United player, was not even recognised eve if he did cartwheels through the centre of Monaghan. His name was Aaron Shearer

PS They have a website >>> www.wsc.co.uk

oriel
06/02/2007, 7:35 AM
I`ll try and scan it from home tonight. The mag is quite good as it only accepts articles from contributors who are critical of their subject/club etc.

paudie
06/02/2007, 7:52 AM
The mag is quite good as it only accepts articles from contributors who are critical of their subject/club etc.

It's a great mag all right. An antidote to the Premiership hype you get in all the newspapers.

A majority of the articles every month are related to non Premiership clubs or non-UK football.

BohDiddley
06/02/2007, 10:38 AM
Anyone know where you'd get it?

ollie
06/02/2007, 10:57 AM
its about the only magazine i read really.has good informed articles along with humour...doesn't buy into the hype of English teams like other mags do...the one after the world cup was a great example of this...

ollie
06/02/2007, 10:58 AM
Anyone know where you'd get it?

any decent newsagent should have it.

oriel
06/02/2007, 12:11 PM
For those dub based its def on sale in easons, o'connel st, other parts of the country i`d safey assume larger newsagents all stock it as i used to buy it in dundalk each mth, i get it by post now.

the mag would suit the majority on here as paudie/ollie suggested, it tends to stay clear of the premiership and has a regualr feature of small clubs/clubs in crisis and, also there is a lot of european pages too so its not just 100% uk football.

pineapple stu
06/02/2007, 12:26 PM
For those dub based its def on sale in easons, o'connel st, other parts of the country i`d safey assume larger newsagents all stock it
Yeah, I used to get it in the newsagents down the road, but I subscribe now, so it comes by post.

Had articles on Derry's win over Göteborg, the political aspect of the opening of Croke Park and Shels' win over Glentoran in recent times.

Burnsie
06/02/2007, 3:11 PM
a great magazine. used to subscribe but got a bit fed up with delays in delivery, and it worked out cheaper to buy it every month. easons in o'connell st ,as mentioned, and tower records wicklow st was is usually v. reliable, though didn't seem to stock the most recent one :-/

oriel
06/02/2007, 8:00 PM
Sorry Monzo just been trying to scan it up for last half hour, problem with my scan link, couldn`t do it, but it should be in the shops from this w/e, cover price is £2.40 stg, prob around eur4.00, well worth it !

Raheny Red
07/02/2007, 12:21 PM
Third Annual Sports History Ireland Conference
Hosted by the Centre for Irish Studies
The Moore Institute for Research in the Humanities and Social Studies,
National University of Ireland, Galway
16-17 February 2007

Conference Programme

Friday 16 February

11:00 – 11:30: Registration

11:30 – 12:30: Session 1
Chair: John Newell (National University of Ireland, Galway)

Joseph Moran Comdt (University College Dublin)
Physical Education in the City of Dublin VEC Schools

Ruadhán Cooke (National University of Ireland, Galway)
Sports Journalism as History / Sports Writing as Literature: Antoine Blondin and the Tour de France

12:30 – 13:30: Lunch

13:30 – 15:00: Session 2
Chair: John Cunningham (National University of Ireland, Galway)

Jim Shanahan (Trinity College, Dublin)
Sean Burke, the ‘Lion of Lahinch’: an IRA man at the Walker Cup

Vic Rigby (Kingston University, London)
The Riddle of Ravenhill: Ireland's last rugby international in Belfast

William Murphy (Mater Dei)
Stopping the Hunt, again: Sinn Féin and the hunt, 1919

15:00 – 15:30: Coffee

15:30 – 17:00: Session 3
Chair: Mike Cronin (Boston College)

Dónal Mcanallen (National University of Ireland, Galway)
Gaelic games versus "Cromwell's game": the GAA and association football
in Derry City, 1884-1934

Conal Hooper (University College Dublin)
Sport in the works of James Joyce

Conor McCabe (University of Ulster)
When Saturday Comes: Football Sports Weekly and Irish Soccer, 1925-28

17:00 – 18:15: Official Conference Launch and Wine Reception

18:15 – 20:00: Session 4
Chair: Dick Holt (De Montfort University, Leicester)

Éamon Ó Cofaigh (National University of Ireland, Galway)
Le Mans: Hub of Motor Sport in France

Cathal Kilcline (National University of Ireland, Galway)
Les Bleus multicolores: Contesting identities in French Football

Phil Dine (National University of Ireland, Galway)
Sport and Identity in France: Practices, Locations, Representations.
(An ongoing project funded by the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences)

Saturday 17 February

09:30 – 11:00: Session 5
Chair: Nessa Cronin (National University of Ireland, Galway)

Timothy Harding (Trinity College, Dublin)
Batting on a sticky wicket: George Frith Barry and the growth of chess in
Victorian Ireland

Maeve Mulryan-Moloney (National University of Ireland, Maynooth)
Little Time for Gossiping and Loafing: Women in Nineteenth Century Ireland

Nick McCarthy (Murdoch University)
The Gaelic Athletic Association and Social Cohesion in County Cork

11:00 – 11:30: Coffee

11:30 – 12:30: Session 6
Chair: Tadhg Foley (National University of Ireland, Galway)

Seán Crosson (National University of Ireland, Galway)
From Knocknagow to West Cork: Representing Gaelic games in narrative Cinema

A special feature of this presentation will be the screening of the Oscar nominated Paramount Pictures short on hurling, Three Kisses (Justin Herman, 1955)

12:30 – 13:30: Lunch

13:30 – 15:00: Session 7
Chair: Louis de Paor (National University of Ireland, Galway)

Kevin O’Sullivan (Trinity College, Dublin)
‘For the sake of sport and human decency’: sport and the Irish Anti-Apartheid Movement, 1964-74

Faye Kinirons (University of Limerick)
The spread, development and popularity of rugby in Limerick
Liam O’Callaghan (Leeds Metropolitan University)
Reflecting on the brave and the faithful’: the invention of tradition in Munster rugby

15:00 – 15:30: Coffee

15:30 – 17:00: Session 8
Chair: Gearoid O'Tuathaigh, (National University of Ireland, Galway)

Neal Garnham (University of Ulster)
How to become an Irish sporting hero: lessons from Dan Donnelly

Paul Rouse (University College Dublin)
Michael Cusack and the Freedom of the Press

Dil Porter (De Montfort University, Leicester)
‘They think it’s all over. It ain’t over’ (Jake Arnott): some reflections on football and banal nationalism

17:00: Close of Conference

Got this from a lecturer today, would this have anything to do with what is being discussed above?? :confused:

Burnsie
07/02/2007, 1:04 PM
no, judging by the colon, i think "when saturday comes" is the title of a lecturer about the other mentioned publication

endabob1
07/02/2007, 1:25 PM
Not sure if many read this mag, i do and its quite good, there is a full page on dermot ahern`s suggestion of an all ireland lge in this months (march) edition

actually there is generally at least two irish football articles each year in the mag, i was thinking of doing one myself about the new fai lge and maxi's stunt but thought better of it, uk readers would have an even worse view of our product then

I subscribe (but as I live in the UK it's easy) and it's a great read, the article in question is by Paul Doyle who does the Guardian Fiver and various other stuff on the Guardian website and I'm pretty sure is along with Barry Glendening is Irish (Barry is from Offaly AFAIK)

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/02/07/glorious_ghana_trounce_super_e.html

Larry 'da' Wyse
07/02/2007, 2:18 PM
You can buy WSC in Reads in Nassau St in Dublin
IIRC a subscription to Ireland is pretty expensive though.

The conference posting deserves a thread of its own I reckon

Raheny Red
07/02/2007, 4:10 PM
The conference posting deserves a thread of its own I reckon

I'll do that now

monzo
07/02/2007, 9:30 PM
Sorry Monzo just been trying to scan it up for last half hour, problem with my scan link, couldn`t do it, but it should be in the shops from this w/e, cover price is £2.40 stg, prob around eur4.00, well worth it !

Nae bother. Thanks for the effort at least! Have had many a problem with scanning stuff myself! I'll have a look out for it this weekend :ball:

gypsydownunder
08/02/2007, 1:45 AM
you can buy WSC in most "big" newsagents, although they do seem to have problems with circulation from time to time.

the problem with a subscription is that they apppear to sub-contract this out and unless you live in Britain, they (1) take the **** with the postage and packing charges and (2) they take an age to deliver [problem obviously exaserbated by mail to Australia].

it's a great magazine, I had a subscription for about 15 years [all the mags nicely packed on the shelves in the shed], but I finally gave up on it last year for the reasons mentioned above.

BohDiddley
08/02/2007, 8:37 AM
Was there a proposal recently for an Irish (Irish) football mag?

dcfcsteve
08/02/2007, 10:32 AM
Was there a proposal recently for an Irish (Irish) football mag?

Good point BD. There was, from a few posters on here.

Did anything get off the ground on this ? It'd certainly have my support.

monzo
08/02/2007, 4:51 PM
Some guy on here said plans were on way for one called 'ground football' or something along those lines. That was several months ago, though, so I doubt anything ever materialised.