PDA

View Full Version : How good is Gary Dicker?

pineapple stu
05/02/2007, 12:32 PM
A Birmingham City fan (rhodesy) PM-ed me on their forums wanting to start a trhead on Gary Dicker here, but he can't register because his e-mail isn't allowed. Said he can follow the thread if I post it and everyone waffles away.

I also said to watch out for any eulogising from thegit. ;)

Burnsie
05/02/2007, 12:48 PM
having seen a fair bit of him the last couple of seasons, he has struck me as one of the most technically adept players in the league.. i often wondered what sort of player he might have become had he had full-time training in england at a young age, and now i suppose we'll find out.

his strongest asset is his ability to win and retain the ball in tight situations with his long legs and clever ball skills. passing over medium to long distances is generally very good as well. drawbacks would include an occasional failure to impose himself on matches.. without wanting to lapse into cliche, it seems that irish (and english) football tends to require very strong, direct central midfielders (papa bouba diop v. stephen ireland) and dicker sometimes appeared a big lightweight in there against far less talented bullies.

all things considered, while i naturally wish gary all the best in his career and will keep a close eye out for its progress, his departure will be a big loss to this club (moreso than kavanagh, arguably) and personally i will really miss the touch of class and elegance he brought to the midfield.

thegit
05/02/2007, 3:21 PM
Ah now Pineapple I was told if you can't say something good say nothing at all, I'll say nothing apart from I think they got a good young player, the only thing that will hold him back is getting over the fact that they have more than 3 fans;) ;) double wink! sorry for leaving the last fan out:eek:

DmanDmythDledge
05/02/2007, 6:04 PM
Dicker is a class player. He very rarely loses the ball, even when there are two opposition players around him. He's very good working in small space, he can easily turn two players at the same time and keep the ball.

His passing his very good, with a high percentage of accuracy. However he very rarely makes any incisive passes/through balls. He usually spreads the ball out to the wing. He rarely runs with the ball. He is decent in the air as well.

He doesn't make to many forward runs, he tends to sit back more and dictate the tempo in an Andrea Pirlo type of way, just not as deep lying.

He's more than able to get stuck in and is a very good tackler. He is an intelligent player and reads the game well and would make a good holding midfielder in the future IMO if he strengthens up a small bit.

He's a quality player and will make a good Championship player in the future if he reaches the potential that he is capable of.

John83
06/02/2007, 12:00 PM
Ah now Pineapple I was told if you can't say something good say nothing at all, I'll say nothing apart from I think they got a good young player, the only thing that will hold him back is getting over the fact that they have more than 3 fans;) ;) double wink! sorry for leaving the last fan out
Just concentrate on becoming the finished article, damn you. ;) Good luck in Birmingham. Sorry about never giving you the player of the year award, but Tony had a Martin Scorsese style streak of winless nominations.

The general impression of Dicker is probably best summed up by his entry in the uncyclopedia: http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Gary_Dicker

thegit
06/02/2007, 3:47 PM
John as i said before if im Dicker, Pineapple is Pete Mahon. Racism is rife for such a small club, since when does Jade Goody write for UCD, no wonder he left, he just couldn't get into the cool gang at college heh!

http://www.sportsfile.com/fotoweb/Preview.fwx?position=237&archiveType=ImageFolder&sorting=ModifiedTimeAsc&search=ucd%20and%20Soccer&fileId=4C3ABA64E9D5C430719D19E637E06F040B41EBD67AF D4DB45349769D3DA29DA5FC788D58B16C1545D9DFF19DCC0CA FF51CD2FE7937D6917B549C749426A820C98D53D6FCA120372 C8C824575572C45A67F3F301E2DB47696C227DC163318665D3 AE6A6D588F7AEE45364DEB44918FC7FAD04B199CA23692527E 7A809489275C9

dahamsta
09/02/2007, 5:53 PM
John as i said before if im Dicker, Pineapple is Pete Mahon.You're either Dicker or you're related to Dicker in some way, that means you have a conflict of interest when you post about him. Either fess up to the relation or don't post on topics discussing him again.

The rest of the utter twaddle from this thread has been binned (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=52745).

adam