PDA

View Full Version : Colin Healy signs 2 year deal

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rossi
05/02/2007, 12:10 PM
from elevenaside.com

Cork interested in former Hoops star

February 5, 2007

Cork City manager Damien Richardson is said to be interested in signing former Celtic and Republic of Ireland international Colin Healy, who is a free agent after his contract was terminated last week.

Healy, a native of Ballincollig in Cork, has been released by Coca-Cola Championship side Barnsley after just six months at Oakwell.

And Richardson is reportedly open to the possibility of signing the 26-year-old ahead of the new eircom League season, which kicks off in March.

Healy started his career with Celtic, graduating to the Ireland senior squad where he won plenty of plaudits for his strong work ethic in midfield in the early part of 2002.

He was the unfortunate player to lose out in the Saipan debacle before the World Cup finals – Healy was in line to replace Roy Keane in Mick McCarthy’s squad but the FAI were denied permission by Fifa to replace the departed captain.

Since then, his career has been blighted by ill-luck. Having signed for Sunderland, he was sidelined by a broken leg in December 2003 and sustained the same injury when he was nearing a return to full fitness.

All in all, he spent more than two years out of the game before returning in a low-key manner with Scottish side Livingston last season.

His form there earned him a summer move to Barnsley, but he failed to make a lasting impression at Oakwell, joining Bradford City for a brief loan spell before finally parting company with the Tykes by mutual consent last week.

AustinoAsprilla
05/02/2007, 12:16 PM
With news that Colin Healy is on a free transfer at the moment Cork are rumoured to b e interested in bringing him back to Ireland.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=26376

What other current players of the same calibre do you think would be willing to come home now that the exposure of the league has improved recently.

The likes of Farrelly, Moore, Foley etc having returned in recent years. Possibly not as good as Healy but all with international caps...

jebus
05/02/2007, 12:34 PM
Healy is a waste of space anyway, the most over-rated footballer I've ever come across

Risteard
05/02/2007, 1:00 PM
He spoke to him last off-season aswell.
I think it'll happen if he's not looking for more than 2,500 a week.
Big gamble though.

BohsPartisan
05/02/2007, 1:02 PM
Theres two threads on this.

LFC in Exile
05/02/2007, 2:36 PM
Healy is a waste of space anyway, the most over-rated footballer I've ever come across

I'd take him, no problem.

Seriously, you're wrong there boy. Healy just got unlukcy with the injuries he had.

harry crumb
05/02/2007, 2:55 PM
Gamble and Healy in midfield doesnt look too bad.:)

Buller
05/02/2007, 3:09 PM
Gamble and Healy in midfield doesnt look too bad.:)

yeah but Gamble and O'Callaghan looked better...

jebus
05/02/2007, 3:26 PM
I'd take him, no problem.

Seriously, you're wrong there boy. Healy just got unlukcy with the injuries he had.

Healy's biggest problem was his lack of energy. He was let go by Celtic, Sunderland and Barnsley because he didn't train hard enough if reports are to be believed, so I doubt he'll pull his socks up in Cork

harry crumb
05/02/2007, 3:39 PM
He gets goals from midfield which will really add to our midfield.

GavinZac
05/02/2007, 3:41 PM
Healy's biggest problem was his lack of energy. He was let go by Celtic, Sunderland and Barnsley because he didn't train hard enough if reports are to be believed, so I doubt he'll pull his socks up in Cork

in fairness its hard to have energy when you're dragging a cast around:rolleyes:

lofty9
05/02/2007, 3:48 PM
Theres two threads on this.

and this was the first one on it! ;)

jebus
05/02/2007, 4:02 PM
in fairness its hard to have energy when you're dragging a cast around:rolleyes:

Oh I didn't realise that he has a permanent broken leg :rolleyes:

harry crumb
05/02/2007, 4:14 PM
how many times have you seen him play?

BohsPartisan
05/02/2007, 4:28 PM

I want results not excuses! :D

jebus
05/02/2007, 4:45 PM
how many times have you seen him play?

I'm pretty sure I caught all 5 of his games

OneRedArmy
05/02/2007, 4:45 PM
in fairness its hard to have energy when you're dragging a cast around:rolleyes:I didn't know he was into amateur dramatics?:confused:

pete
05/02/2007, 5:12 PM
If an irish player wants to come back to Ireland to resurrect his career then Cork City is the proven best choice. If a player wants financial gain & a glamour move to the SPL then go elsewhere. We may not offer the highest wages in the league but CCFC has the best exposure for cross channel moves in the eL to Premiership & biggest Championship clubs.

Not sure if we have the place for Healy in our midfield.

Celdrog
05/02/2007, 6:41 PM
If an irish player wants to come back to Ireland to resurrect his career then Cork City is the proven best choice. If a player wants financial gain & a glamour move to the SPL then go elsewhere. We may not offer the highest wages in the league but CCFC has the best exposure for cross channel moves in the eL to Premiership & biggest Championship clubs.
Not sure if we have the place for Healy in our midfield.
That's only because you're a selling club who needs the money as you are so badly run.
Surely Derry, Drogs and Shels (or Pats) will have bigger exposure by playing in a decent European tournament this season and by finishing higher in the league.
Mind you I'd like to see Colin Healy come back, decent player who was very unfortunate.

Dodge
05/02/2007, 7:05 PM
If an irish player wants to come back to Ireland to resurrect his career then Cork City is the proven best choice.
HOw so? Name one non Cork person who came back and resurrected their career at Cork?

Risteard
05/02/2007, 8:19 PM
Joe Gamble

A face
05/02/2007, 9:17 PM
How so? Name one non Cork person who came back and resurrected their career at Cork?

Kevin Doyle has done alright for himself. Danny Murphy could have done very well if he had made the right choice. But that is not the point, City has been related with alot of clubs for the last few years and players would know that.

GavinZac
05/02/2007, 10:45 PM
That's only because you're a selling club who needs the money as you are so badly run

did you miss the news? city turned down a league record bid for one of our strikers. how does selling alan bennett for a league record fee constitute being a selling club?
we need money as our "sugar daddy" is reaching the stretching point of his resources. it'll happen to you some day.

Dodge
06/02/2007, 6:51 AM
Kevin Doyle has done alright for himself. Danny Murphy could have done very well if he had made the right choice. But that is not the point, City has been related with alot of clubs for the last few years and players would know that.

So you saying that Cork resurrected Doyle's career after Pats? Suppose it was a disapppointment for the lad :D Oh and Murphy didn't come back to Ireland

razor
06/02/2007, 8:11 AM
HOw so? Name one non Cork person who came back and resurrected their career at Cork?Dodge I presume when Pete said Cork City being the ideal place, he meant the ideal place for a Cork lad.
How many non Dubs came back and resurrected their career at Pats?
But to answer your question how about BLOB & Gloria ? :D :D

Dodge
06/02/2007, 8:28 AM
Dodge I presume when Pete said Cork City being the ideal place, he meant the ideal place for a Cork lad.
Fair enough. Agree totally

How many non Dubs came back and resurrected their career at Pats?
Half the league at this stage...

ollie
06/02/2007, 11:01 AM
yeah but Gamble and O'Callaghan looked better...

beggers can't be choosers!

pete
06/02/2007, 12:13 PM
That's only because you're a selling club who needs the money as you are so badly run.

When Drogs receive any bid for their players we will talk about selling clubs. You are lucky have Directors subsidising but that does not necessarily mean club well run. How many IAG off-field points did you get?

Surely Derry, Drogs and Shels (or Pats) will have bigger exposure by playing in a decent European tournament this season and by finishing higher in the league.

We will see but no sign of it yet. Two Pats players moved to the SPL (good business by Pats) but City player moves to the Premiership which are worlds apart.

Celdrog
06/02/2007, 2:52 PM
When Drogs receive any bid for their players we will talk about selling clubs. You are lucky have Directors subsidising but that does not necessarily mean club well run. How many IAG off-field points did you get?

So far you have sold Bennett, O'Callaghan, Doyle and Long in the last two seasons. We have sold none. You could not retain Murphy and Fenn
Our IAG points were because our ground in poor, that's why we have to move. We would have got higher points if the Leinster Football Association let us play in a 5000 seater stadium but we must plow our own furrow.

micls
06/02/2007, 3:11 PM
So far you have sold Bennett, O'Callaghan, Doyle and Long in the last two seasons. We have sold none. You could not retain Murphy and Fenn

In fairness you have to look at it in context too. 3 of those 4 players are now playing for premiership clubs. How many premiership/high championship clubs have come in for your players? Can you honestly say your club would have rejected the record breaking bid we got for Benno for one of your players?

Rico has said already that if it had been southend coming in for Bennett he'd still be a city payer, but the players ambition plays a part too. The club has to come first but if a player doesnt wanna play for a club and wants a move theyl get it.

The George situation was completely different and just a disaster on all parts.

Celdrog
06/02/2007, 3:18 PM
We turned down €400k for Jason Gavin after the 2005 FAI cup final (remember that one?). the bidding club was Reading.
Can somebody please tell me how much Cork City got for Bennett? If you throw a figure at me then prove that figure is correct. The figure is officially undisclosed. Some of the figures being bandied about on City Web vary from €250K to €580K. If you got so much did you ever think why your chairman is reluctant to tell all of you how much he got and be back as a hero with the fans?

Also - have you got a sponsor yet, none last year and time is pushing on this year. Only Kearney signed for the new season.

Peadar
06/02/2007, 3:26 PM
Also - have you got a sponsor yet, none last year and time is pushing on this year. Only Kearney signed for the new season.

This is a thread about Colin Healy. Why are you coming on here, trying to wind people up?

micls
06/02/2007, 3:26 PM
We turned down €400k for Jason Gavin after the 2005 FAI cup final (remember that one?). the bidding club was Reading.
Can somebody please tell me how much Cork City got for Bennett? If you throw a figure at me then prove that figure is correct. The figure is officially undisclosed. Some of the figures being bandied about on City Web vary from €250K to €580K. If you got so much did you ever think why your chairman is reluctant to tell all of you how much he got and be back as a hero with the fans?.
There was a confidentiality clause in the contract...dont know who asked for it

but the widely accpeted figures are E380, with E75k for 10 appearances, money for international cap(not sure how much) 10% sell on clause and a friendly.

Not as much as he's worth but Bennos ambition and professionalism had a lot to do with it apparently.

The bid e turned down for Roy was higher again but not sure how much exactly.

The friendly will bring in a good bit of cash for us with all the barstoolers coming out to see the internationals :rolleyes:

Do you have a link for that Gavin bid? Didnt hear about that

NIssan were our sponsors last season. New ones havnt been named yet.

Yep only Kearney so far.

Tbh more worried/interested in new investors than new players at the moment. Most important thing is to get the club on solid financial footing, then we can worry about trying to win stuff again

Celdrog
06/02/2007, 5:59 PM
This is a thread about Colin Healy. Why are you coming on here, trying to wind people up?
The last person to mention Colin Healy was me, 10 or so posts ago. Why are you picking on me? Have a pop about your own fans who are not discussing Healy :D
Anyway for Peader's sake I'll bring it back to the gentleman mentioned in the topic. Has he signed yet, or is there any movement. I stil think it would be a great move for Cork

Risteard
12/02/2007, 6:02 AM
Trained with the lads in Bishopstown Saturday.
Is meant to have an offer from Falkirk i believe or else a trial, i'm unsure.

Philly
12/02/2007, 9:13 PM
Former Irish international, Colin Healy, in talks with Cork City
Date: Monday, 12 February 2007
Section: eircom League
Colin Healy, former Irish international midfielder, will have talks with Cork City this week with a view to signing a contract after being released by Barnsley.

Healy, who is 26, had a very promising career with Sunderland and at international level upset when he suffered two separate leg breaks after joining the club in 2003.

He began to re-build his career in Scotland with Livingston in the 2005/’06 season and joined Barnsley at the beginning of the current season.

He trained with Cork City over the week-end and will sit down to talks with City manager, Damien Richardson, this week.

Healy played under-age football in Cork with Ballincollig before he was signed by Celtic, where he found an admirer in Martin O’Neill.

He went to Coventry City on loan for the 2001/’02 season and did so well with them that he was called into the Irish squad by then manager Mick McCarthy to make his debut on February 13, 2002 at Lansdowne Road against Russia.

He was named ‘Man of the Match’ and impressed also in the following two internationals against Denmark and Russia, again. His arrival came too late for him to make the World Cup squad for the finals in South Korea and Japan.

However he was regarded as a regular for the European Championship that followed until he suffered the first of his unfortunate injuries. Overall he played in 13 internationals for Ireland and scored once, against Finland. His last international was against Switzerland on October 11, 2003.

Cork City will be without their right-back Neal Horgan for the Setanta Sports Cup competition as he is currently on a two week training stint with American MLS side Colorado Rapids.

Cork will now start their season without three of what has been their regular back four for the past three seasons.

With Danny Murphy already in Motherwell and Alan Bennett now with Premiership side Reading, the only familiar faces in the Cork defence for the start of the season will be captain Dan Murray and goalkeeper Michael Devine.

Horgan, who holds an American passport, has however insisted that the decision to train with Rapids does not mean that he is definitely leaving Cork City.

"I have decided nothing. The next two weeks is all about them (Rapids) having a look at me and me having a look at them," said Horgan.

"The reason I am pursuing this is primarily because I want to further my legal education and want to eventually sit the American Bar Exams.”

Horgan, who is 27, is out of contract with Cork. He made his senior debut with Cork City in 2000, having joined the club in 1998.

Peadar
13/02/2007, 10:18 AM
Rico will sit down with Colin tomorrow, with a view to agreeing terms. He is just one of 3 players that Rico hopes to sign by Saturday.

The club are also in negotiations with Billy Woods, after offering him a 1 year contract.

Pablo
13/02/2007, 10:21 AM
Rico will sit down with Colin tomorrow, with a view to agreeing terms. He is just one of 3 players that Rico hopes to sign by Saturday.

The club are also in negotiations with Billy Woods, after offering him a 1 year contract.

http://www.ccfcforum.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=15845&view=findpost&p=297727

pete
13/02/2007, 12:07 PM
Cork City will be without their right-back Neal Horgan for the Setanta Sports Cup competition as he is currently on a two week training stint with American MLS side Colorado Rapids.

With Horgan about to leave we will now have a place for Healy in the team.

Don't know if Healy still up to professional football but might get some hype for start of the season by signing him.

ollie
13/02/2007, 12:22 PM
no rumours of who the other 2 players he hopes to sign are?

Peadar
13/02/2007, 12:47 PM
Gareth Farrelly! :eek:

Risteard
13/02/2007, 2:00 PM
With Horgan about to leave we will now have a place for Healy in the team.
Sarcasm?

pete
13/02/2007, 2:11 PM

Karl Poborsky?

Risteard
13/02/2007, 2:12 PM
Davie Warren

Peadar
13/02/2007, 2:21 PM
Darren Murphy.

Shelsman
13/02/2007, 4:50 PM

I hate to break it to you but............. Cork City are the only club I know who 'announce' new signings, when in fact, the signings are players WHO ARE ALREADY AT THE CLUB!!!

:p

This is a very sad state of affairs, very disappointing to be honest. ( Yes I know, Shels have no signings ).

The two players in question are Billy Woods and one of your other players ( Horgan or Kearney I think, the latter's been mentioned as a new signing about 4 or 5 times at this stage -is there more than one Kearney? :rolleyes: ).

A face
13/02/2007, 5:29 PM
I hate to break it to you but............. Cork City are the only club I know who 'announce' new signings, when in fact, the signings are players WHO ARE ALREADY AT THE CLUB!!!

If a player finishes his contract and signs another or if a player is in his contract and renews it then they are signings. If a player has not been with the club and he signs for the club then this is a new signing. I think you are getting confused between a 'new signing' and a 'signing'. There is the whole past, present and future thing to consider when you are trying to determine which is which.

David Tyrrell (Bray Wndrs)
Stuart Byrne (Drogheda Utd)
David Crawley (Dundalk)
Ollie Cahill (Drogheda)
Joseph Ndo (St. Pat's Ath)
Gary O'Neill (St. Pat's Ath)
Liam Kearney (Cork C)
Sean Dillon (Dundee Utd)
Owen Heary (Bohemians)
Bobby Ryan (Dunfermline)
David Bracken (Glenavon)
Jason Byrne (Cardiff)
Brian King (UCD)
Colin Hawkins (Coventry)
Gary Deegan (Free)
Glen Crowe (Bohemians)
Richie Baker (Drogheda U)
Dave Rogers (Derry City)
Jamie Harris (Dunfermline)
Steve Williams (Bray W)
Dean Delaney (Free)
Greg O'Halloran (Free)

pete
14/02/2007, 10:21 PM
Cork City do not announce as a NEW signing, we just say player has signed new contract. Its called self promotion & the media will report it so get few promotion.

You've opened yourself to too many Shels jokes so I won't start.

drinkfeckarse
15/02/2007, 12:09 PM
Surprised Greg O'Halloran hasn't found a club yet. Surely an ideal signing now for City and I would imagine he'd be more than keen seeing as it looks as if he'd get a regular game?

pete
15/02/2007, 12:37 PM
Surprised Greg O'Halloran hasn't found a club yet. Surely an ideal signing now for City and I would imagine he'd be more than keen seeing as it looks as if he'd get a regular game?

I don't think he wants to come back & maybe not wanted by the Manager...