PDA

View Full Version : FAI Awards / Benny Hill ...

blackholesun
05/02/2007, 12:06 PM
Watched a bit of the FAI awards last night but pi$$ed myself laughing at the last few minutes. Some scruffy looking dude wearing a demin shirt and a nike baseball cap mumbling some unitelligible song (if you saw him on o'connell bridge you'd throw him some loose change) and to top if off the band finished off by playing the Benny Hill themetune. How apt? All that was missing was the three amigos Delaney, Stan and Gavin running around in slow motion chasing a few well endowed models. Classic stuff ... only at the FAI awards ...

bhs

Jerry The Saint
05/02/2007, 12:46 PM
Watched a bit of the FAI awards last night but pi$$ed myself laughing at the last few minutes. Some scruffy looking dude wearing a demin shirt and a nike baseball cap mumbling some unitelligible song (if you saw him on o'connell bridge you'd throw him some loose change) and to top if off the band finished off by playing the Benny Hill themetune. How apt? All that was missing was the three amigos Delaney, Stan and Gavin running around in slow motion chasing a few well endowed models. Classic stuff ... only at the FAI awards ...

bhs

Only caught the end of it myself - wonder how they handled the couple of elephants in the room (worst results in international team history, implosion of league "champions"):confused: Not the happiest backdrop for the usual backslapping at these sort of events.

pete
05/02/2007, 1:04 PM
Seen some of it & I believe there were 3 musical interludes for some reason. Strange as some awards were given pre live tv so its not as if no awards to fill out the show.

I think George Hamilton got the emails as he stressd "Fulltime football at Cork City prepared Kevin Doyle for his step up....." :D

BohsPartisan
05/02/2007, 1:04 PM
wonder how they handled the couple of elephants in the room (worst results in international team history, implosion of league "champions"):confused:

All guests were provided with earplugs and blindfolds and encouraged to sing lalalalalalalalala for the season review.

Celdrog
05/02/2007, 6:43 PM
bhs
Brilliant :D :D

Ozymandias
07/02/2007, 2:20 PM
saw the last few mins as well..hilarious stuff...at the start of the song the camera panned to the audience and they were all ****ing themselves..needless to say there was no more shots of the audience after that.........it was an apt way to play out the year for the FAI..slapstick

Pauro 76
07/02/2007, 3:31 PM
God wish I'd seen that. Surely the theme from the Muppet Show as an encore?

soccerc
07/02/2007, 3:39 PM
It was Sharon Shannon and her band with Dessie O'Halloran

This from the Telegraph sums up LINK (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/01/29/bmnelson129.xml)

The Fleadh, which began life as a one-day festival of Celtic and "roots" music in London, has now taken the form of a similarly themed tour of arenas in Ireland and the UK, with Willie Nelson headlining and Irish accordionist Sharon Shannon and her big band as the support act.

And Shannon it was who initially quickened the pulse of the evening with her zesty accordion runs and her breezy banter, while introducing a series of high-quality soloists, including the pure-voiced and wide-ranging Scots singer Eddi Reader.

She also brought on stage a peculiar and enormously entertaining fiddle player and singer called Dessie O'Halloran, a man whose singing has been likened to the noise made by a goat while undergoing a rectal examination, which turned out to be an exquisitely apt analogy. I didn't know whether to laugh at Dessie or admire him; in the end, I did both.