PDA

View Full Version : Kids Soccer Camp

Jim Smith
11/07/2001, 12:22 PM
My son is going to the Cork City/Leisureworld Soccer Camp this week and i must say its a great success. Now just how much of the success is down to Leisureworld is difficult to say but Ollie and Mick D are great with kids.

Its good to see City getting involved at a community level as this can only raise the clubs profile and identity - which is pretty low among the majority of the people of Cork.

I'm quick enough to moan about the off-field activities of the club so its a pleasant change to be able to say "well done".

joe
11/07/2001, 1:11 PM
Jim,

will you do us a favour and get your son to ask ollie 'who's going to win the league?'

pete
11/07/2001, 1:36 PM
Therein lies the advantage of fulltimers. Use them as coaches to young players & PR for the club! I'd say id you hadn't attended matches at the cross before you'd be a lot more likely to do after the SoccerCamp?

Neil
11/07/2001, 2:06 PM
Yep, fair play to Cork City for this camp. It's a great idea.

Jim, Is there any giveaway of 'City' T-Shirts or match tickets or anything? Any sort f effort being made to get these kids supporting City?

Jim Smith
11/07/2001, 3:18 PM
I'll find out what freebies, if any, they'll get when he finishes on Friday and let you know. If they don't give them a couple of match tickets it will be a lost opportunity

The cost of the thing was £36 for the week (two and a half hours plus a swim after the coaching) which is actually good value as far as 'unloading the kids for the summer' schemes go. The GAA indoctronation camps are a bit cheaper but the GAA organise and support them from a relatively high level. On reflection, its probably just as well the FAI aren't involved.

The other advantage re: the full-timers is that it keeps them out of the pub for a few hours :D

joe
11/07/2001, 3:23 PM
Everyone out to leisureland on friday for freebies - bring a kid, if you can, for authenticity
:D

sean1_3
11/07/2001, 7:02 PM
Greg O' Halloran was there today so he's still on the books and Stephen O' Flynn appeared once or twice.

Neil
11/07/2001, 8:15 PM
Would it be fair to assume so that O'Flynn is on a pro contract? Ollie, Devine and Greg are definitely pro...

Jim Smith
13/07/2001, 12:53 PM
The freebies given out were T-shirts that the kids got the four players to sign. The players were Ollie, Mick, Greg and Stephen O'Flynn. Liam (my son) described one of the players (without any prompting from me) as having a square head and running like a robot (I kid you not) so I wonder if the other Stephen put in an appearence?

Overall I think the thing was a success and a good bit of PR on the part of the club. The only thing I would have done is give out a few kids tickets for the X. Its not as if its going to be sold out next season is it?

Joe - I tried to get him to ask Ollie who will win the league but he wouldn't. Apparently Liam has "better things to be doing than winding people up" Don't worry, he'll learn...

pete
13/07/2001, 1:13 PM
Club should have given a few free tickets to each kid cos they can't go on their own & will have to bring a "grown-up" with them ;)

You don't need a marketing qualification to know that :rolleyes:

Opportunity Lost.

joe
13/07/2001, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by Jim Smith
Joe - I tried to get him to ask Ollie who will win the league but he wouldn't. Apparently Liam has "better things to be doing than winding people up" Don't worry, he'll learn...

that must come from his mother's side
:D

Jim Smith
13/07/2001, 2:06 PM
... but working on good will and community identity is much more important.

Fifty extra adults pays for what? Greg to sit on his a*** for the week? All of the kids seemed to have a great time and when they hear 'Cork City' they'll think of them in a more positve light. Its difficult to quantify but think of it like this: How many Corkonians would even think of City if you stopped them in the street and ask them about fooball? Most thirty-something bar-stool supporters are a lost cause, but kids are much more open minded.

What City should be thinking of is setting aside an area for younger fans and letting their parents know that it will be well stewarded and safe. Think back to the time when you really didn't want your parents hanging about you but they wouldn't go away. They'd look forward to 'graduating' to the Shed and then those few who finally achieve enlightenment would move to the half-way line at the Derrynan Rd side :)

niamh
14/07/2001, 7:24 PM
All kids need usually is to be brought to a game and it is enough for them to go back. My younger brother had a friend who was sceptical about the EL. He was a Man U "fan" and thought that the EL was rubbish. He had of course never seen a game. I was bringing my little brother to a game one day and he brought his friend along cause he was bored too. The guy has been back to the Cross several times since and even brought his Dad on a few occasions (another supported of the above mentioned Red cause).

The point is games are never even advertised and if they got more kids going...they's bring their parents or other family. Being in Canada for the summer I've seen a few baseball games and there were several schools at the games. Granted City's matches are on a Sunday but they could still approach schools with free tickets. They could offer these kids camps to the schools and help promote the game within Cork that way.

Christ most City fans have many ideas which would help the club and start moving it forward...

Squeez
30/05/2006, 12:59 PM
On reflection, its probably just as well the FAI aren't involved.

What's wrong with the FAI? My daughter was on one of the FAI camps in Cork last year and couldn't praise it enough.. Loved every minute of it.

micls
30/05/2006, 1:04 PM
What's wrong with the FAI? My daughter was on one of the FAI camps in Cork last year and couldn't praise it enough.. Loved every minute of it.

You do realise youre like 5 years too late :confused:

A face
30/05/2006, 2:01 PM
You do realise youre like 5 years too late :confused:

Actually the FAI camps are probably the best ones around in fairness to them, well Samba Soccer camps didn't give themselves much chance with their false advertising :rolleyes:

micls
30/05/2006, 2:04 PM
Actually the FAI camps are probably the best ones around in fairness to them, well Samba Soccer camps didn't give themselves much chance with their false advertising :rolleyes:

They probably are but just thought it was a bit weird responding to something someone said 5 years ago- things change like :)