PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne FC Demoted to First Division - All Purpose Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

pól-dcfc
30/01/2007, 5:04 PM
Just confirmed on TV3

Pats to take their place

adamcarr
30/01/2007, 5:05 PM
Just confirmed on TV3

Pats to take their place

********! We have some actual real opposition now!

BohsPartisan
30/01/2007, 5:15 PM
Good news for Irish football. Would have been embarassing to see them there.

pete
30/01/2007, 5:15 PM
Pats to take their place

Shels must be in dire straits if they pulling out of that as guaranteed cash just for competing.

Was looking forward to beating Shels live on tv again at the cross. Pats just doesn't have the same appeal & crowd will be smaller...

BohsPartisan
30/01/2007, 5:16 PM
rambling non-sensical post

What???
No you shouldn't. Derry take the champions place leaving the cup winners place to Pats. Thats how it works! :rolleyes:

David
30/01/2007, 5:17 PM
Very sad to see the demise of Shelbourne. I appreciate that you will all know a lot more of the ins and outs of this one than I do and may not feel the same sympathy towrds them but they were a team that I always enjoyed watching when they were on TV and their CL run a few seasons ago was certainly memorable. Feel really sorry for the Shelbourne supporters. I sincerely hope things can be sorted out.

charliesboots
30/01/2007, 5:21 PM
Shels must be in dire straits if they pulling out of that as guaranteed cash just for competing.

Was looking forward to beating Shels live on tv again at the cross. Pats just doesn't have the same appeal & crowd will be smaller...

Infairness we've got a half decent squad this season. In comparison to the current Shels squad we're world class!!

forza
30/01/2007, 5:23 PM
Infairness we've got a half decent squad this season. In comparison to the current Shels squad we're world class!!

We're not barcelona at least we're not shels :D

SligoBrewer
30/01/2007, 5:24 PM
What???
No you shouldn't. Derry take the champions place leaving the cup winners place to Pats. Thats how it works! :rolleyes:

no thats for europe!:mad:

dancinpants
In comparison to the current Shels squad we're world class!!

Well in fairness, so are Monaghan Utd ;)

pól-dcfc
Obviously the same applies for Setanta though.

DmanDmythDledge
30/01/2007, 5:25 PM
nonsensical posting

Do you actually believe that or are you just wumming?

BohsPartisan
no thats for europe!:mad:

Same for Setanta.

Magicme
Well in fairness, so are Monaghan Utd ;)

Have you been reading our signings then??? :D

Celdrog
30/01/2007, 5:27 PM
What???

No it doesn't. Setanta is strictly both cup winners and the top two in the league. If there is a team that does both (as Derry did - twice) then it goes down the league - this is how Drogs and Cork qualified. For Europe Pats will get the UEFA if Shels don't play in the CL.
For Setanta it should be Sligo.

Mind you Bohs have been so far away in recent times its a reasonable mistake to make:D

SligoBrewer
30/01/2007, 5:29 PM
SligoBrewer -

You're right about Cork, actually - apologies. However, they'd still get the InterToto as extra place is going to the Cup, not the league. Sligo could well get the Setanta though - you have to win the Cup to get into the Setanta, and licencing does apply for it as well.]

you have to win the cup..

and given tv3's knowledge on eL.:rolleyes:

Soper
30/01/2007, 5:29 PM
This was brought up before, the rules state that Sligo Rovers should get the Setanta place.

BohsPartisan
30/01/2007, 5:34 PM
Mind you Bohs have been so far away in recent times its a reasonable mistake to make:D

We'll be making up for it this year :p

forza
30/01/2007, 5:36 PM
This was brought up before, the rules state that Sligo Rovers should get the Setanta place.

Ah well :p

Mr A
30/01/2007, 5:36 PM
I am stunned Shels will not field in this competition. It's worth a lot of money to them- why not just field an U18 side, take the beatings and the money and use it to build for the league?

Dodge
30/01/2007, 5:41 PM
What money? They have to pay to travel, pay for players, pay for security

They have nothing....

charliesboots
30/01/2007, 5:45 PM
I thought that one of the aims of the Setanta Cup was to prepare teams for European competition, seems ridiculous if its not based on European qualification.

Who runs it anyway? Cross border committee?

pete
30/01/2007, 5:53 PM
I thought that one of the aims of the Setanta Cup was to prepare teams for European competition, seems ridiculous if its not based on European qualification.

No cup runners up may qualify for the Setanta Cup. See Setanta Sports for the rules as they are very clear...

SligoBrewer
30/01/2007, 5:55 PM
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=564

there it is official

charliesboots
30/01/2007, 5:55 PM
Can you point me in the direction of these rules?

SligoBrewer
30/01/2007, 5:57 PM
me 2..

galwayhoop
30/01/2007, 6:04 PM
is this a sign of things to come.....

withdraw from CL .... eL Premier Div???

while i would like to see Shels withdraw from europe* i wouldn't like to see their total demise

*as i feel they would be an embarassment to the league in their current state and see little chance of them signing a competent squad before transfer window in feb or even the summer window in current climate

Mr A
30/01/2007, 6:04 PM
What money? They have to pay to travel, pay for players, pay for security

They have nothing....

Basically I'm suggested they should have fielded an amateur team in the SSC, they'd still have to pay for travel of course but never seem to have spent much on security anyway. I think there's a pretty big financial incentive just to be in the competition at all so they should have come out well ahead.

red bellied
30/01/2007, 6:07 PM
Confirmed on Today Fm, no replacement was mentioned.

kdjaC
30/01/2007, 6:27 PM
http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=1335

Pats confirm invite.

:)

kdjac

wws
30/01/2007, 6:29 PM
Dear Setanta,

we accept your invitation with pleasure.
signed

The saints

SligoBrewer
30/01/2007, 6:29 PM
http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=1335

Pats confirm invite.

:)

kdjac

its a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarce:mad:

iceman
30/01/2007, 6:32 PM
Surely the place is Sligo's - Derrry won the cup and League cup , the rest of the places go down the league. Thats what happened last season.

Jerry The Saint
30/01/2007, 6:33 PM
Surely the place is Sligo's - Derrry won the cup and League cup , the rest of the places go down the league. Thats what happened last season.

Rovers were invited but unfortunately had plans that night (washing their hair).

iceman
30/01/2007, 6:36 PM
Rovers were invited but unfortunately had plans that night (washing their hair)
:D:D

Soper
30/01/2007, 6:37 PM
Jesus wept, yet another delay to the season now when our board will protest this decision.

Dodge
30/01/2007, 6:37 PM

Quit living in the past...

Sniffer
30/01/2007, 6:38 PM
The season hasn't even started yet. I've had to design a special close season asterisk (http://www.walkthechalk.com/content.php?show=eircom_setanta_cup)

red bellied

Same as everything with the FAI, make it up as they go along.

charliesboots
apparently the rules have been ammended since last season, not **** stirring, that's just what i'm hearing!

SligoBrewer
30/01/2007, 6:40 PM
Jesus wept, yet another delay to the season now when our board will protest this decision.

the long awaited return to winter soccer!:D

lads, this is a load of bo**ocks seriously..

were we invited..
i doubt it somehow:rolleyes:

kdjaC
30/01/2007, 6:42 PM
its a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarce:mad:

FAIreland,
80 Merrion Square,
Dublin 2,
Ireland

If coming from northside stop off on Moore street for some lighters with flint, 5 for a euro or so.

kdjac

Dodge
30/01/2007, 6:46 PM
Same as everything with the FAI, make it up as they go along.

Not just the FAI involved here...

red bellied
30/01/2007, 6:48 PM
apparently the rules have been ammended since last season, not **** stirring, that's just what i'm hearing!

This sound very dodgy. If true Sligo Rovers would of have to been consulted on this based on last seasons placements (with Shels predicament) and never would of agreed.

Dodge
30/01/2007, 6:51 PM
That makes no sense at all mate.... re-read and re-write if possible

harpskid
30/01/2007, 6:51 PM
The season hasn't even started yet. I've had to design a special close season asterisk (http://www.walkthechalk.com/content.php?show=eircom_setanta_cup)

Very like the old asterix though - very poor effort at asterix design!

Sniffer
30/01/2007, 6:56 PM
Yet another wasted rush job:)

charliesboots
30/01/2007, 6:58 PM
why would they have to have been consulted? It's a tournament run by its own committee under the jurisdiction of both the IFA and FAI. The rules are drawn up by the committee who then ask the relevant body to invite participants. No consultation needed with anybody - its not as if clubs are affiliated with the Setanta Cup the way they are with the League or FAI

ccfcgirl
30/01/2007, 6:59 PM
Its a big blow to Shelbourne Football club and especially there fans that they pulled out of Setanta...

Réiteoir
30/01/2007, 7:01 PM
why would they have to have been consulted? It's a tournament run by its own committee under the jurisdiction of both the IFA and FAI. The rules are drawn up by the committee who then ask the relevant body to invite participants. No consultation needed with anybody - its not as if clubs are affiliated with the Setanta Cup the way they are with the League or FAI

Plus it's an Invitational Tournament - it's up to the committee who they invite