PDA

View Full Version : Worst kept secret ever!!

billybunter
04/02/2007, 11:51 AM
Even the Fai have now heard about it..great news for all us Irish fans in the states tho!!!!

Ireland off to USA for two games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 04 February 2007 Section: International

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Republic of Ireland senior team are heading to America for two games this summer.
Stephen Staunton’s side will play South American sides Ecuador and Bolivia in New York and Boston in May.

Ireland will play Luis Súarez’s Ecuador side at the Giants Stadium in New York on Wednesday, May 23 and face Bolivia three days later, on Saturday, May 26, at the Gillette Stadium in Boston. The kick-off times will be announced later.

The Republic of Ireland has only played Ecuador on one previous occasion which was in 1972 at the Brazil International Cup when the Republic of Ireland beat their opponents 3-2.

The Irish have defeated Bolivia in both their previous meetings, the most recent being the 1996 U.S Cup game where Mick McCarthy’s side won 3-0.

Ecuador and Bolivia will see the fixtures as key preparation for the Copa América 2007 which takes place in Venezuela in July while Staunton sees it as the ideal end to the 2006-07 season.

“I am delighted to secure these two friendlies and both teams will provide us with an excellent test. It is also a great opportunity to get the lads together before the summer break and it is nice to give our many US based fans a chance to see the team in action,” said Staunton.

As well as the May friendlies, the Republic of Ireland will also play Denmark on August 22 in Aarhus before recommencing their Euro 2008 campaign in September away to Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

Noelys Guitar
04/02/2007, 5:39 PM
23rd in Giants Stadium against Ecudaor. 26th against Bolivia in Boston,

Kivlehan
05/02/2007, 1:32 AM
How do I get tickets to the Giants Stadium game?

slow2anger
05/02/2007, 4:30 PM
How do I get tickets to the Giants Stadium game?

Last time (2000) US Ticketmaster sold the tickets

Noelys Guitar
05/02/2007, 5:40 PM
Meet up at the Grasshopper also just across form the Stadium. Owner from Roscommon and always shows the matches no matter who we are playing.

Traps Cat
05/02/2007, 6:32 PM
Great! Another chance for Keane and Co to go on the **** and sing Karaoke , maybe staunton might introduce an American style Harrys Challange - ridiculas bringing players over there after a tough season.

tetsujin1979
05/02/2007, 8:40 PM
I reckon it'll be closer to the US Cup squads Mick used to bring over, with a lot of new caps to see who can do a job for us. Didn't McPhail, Barry Quinn and Kavanagh all get their first caps on these trips?
I don't expect to see Duff, Given, Keane on the plane to the states, but the likes of Flood, Whelan and Hoolahan can expect a call up to get a run out.

galwayhoop
06/02/2007, 3:20 PM
i reckon given would probably go - it is very rare for him to miss any game be they friendly or otherwise. also as captain i reckon robbie should also make the trip.

paul_oshea
06/02/2007, 3:55 PM
Meet up at the Grasshopper also just across form the Stadium. Owner from Roscommon and always shows the matches no matter who we are playing.

thats cos he is from roscommon. where in roscommon noelys guitar? i think i might know who that is.

Metrostars
07/02/2007, 4:03 PM
Some info for you guys thinking about coming on a trip to the US:

Giants Stadium...buses from the Port Authority's 41st Street Bus Terminal in Manhattan. NY Red Bulls are playing against Chicago at GS the night after the Ireland-Ecuador game, tickets can be bought at the stadium. Also, the NY Yankees are playing the Boston Red Sox at home that week so that would be a good recommendation, they also play the NY Mets the weekend before (May 18-20).

As for the game in Boston, New England have a scheduled home game against Kansas City the same night(7:30) so I'm guessing that will be a double-header.

backstothewall
07/02/2007, 10:11 PM
Wednesday May 23rd 2007. Following succesive home defeats, soundly beaten by Equador in the stadium where we enjoyed our greatest ever result, with our then left midfielder and current manager shown the door after the game.

Don't write it off.