PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hughton(B. 1958)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Noelys Guitar
27/09/2009, 11:33 AM
What a great job Hughton is doing at Newcastle. Under the most difficult of circumstances this guy has Newcastle at the top of the championship. A collection of misfits are no wlooking like a half decent team. FFS Alan Smith looks like proper midfielder. Future Ireland manager?

Murfinator
27/09/2009, 11:36 AM
He's brought stability sure but in all fairness what he's done is turned a multi-million euro team into a decent championship side. It's not that miraculous and for me highlights more how bad Keegan and Shearer were than how good he is. If he stays on as manager and guides them to the top half of the premiership next season then it's time to start asking these questions!

MeathDrog
27/09/2009, 1:25 PM
He's done very well so far.

seanfhear
27/09/2009, 1:28 PM
Never underestimate how difficult Newcastle can make the job of being their manager.

Stuttgart88
27/09/2009, 1:33 PM
Future Ireland manager?Despite all you say I still can't shake off the image of Hughton by Kerr's side as he made some daft substitutions, such as the home game against Israel.

I like the guy and he was a great player for us but I think he is a long way off the standard of manager we'd need to be competitive at international level.

amaccann
27/09/2009, 1:38 PM
I think Hughton is one to watch; he has spent many years by various managers' sides, learning the ropes & biding his time. You could see him step into full time managing based on this & perhaps a contender for the Ireland role if it all goes well for him.

Yard of Pace
27/09/2009, 4:02 PM
Despite all you say I still can't shake off the image of Hughton by Kerr's side as he made some daft substitutions, such as the home game against Israel.

I like the guy and he was a great player for us but I think he is a long way off the standard of manager we'd need to be competitive at international level.

He was the stereotypical number 2 then though. A bit of a yes man, imo. Maybe as a a manager he'd be different? He certainly seems to be growing into the role. I agree though that Newcastle have a seriously quality squad compared to the rest of the championship.

tetsujin1979
27/09/2009, 4:26 PM
If he continues in this vain, gets Newcastle back to the Premiership and then establishes them as a top flight side, then he will be mentioned in connection with the Ireland position, and rightly so.
However, remember just 2 short years ago, people were saying the same about John Sheridan, and before that David O'Leary was linked with the job after his performance as Leeds manager.

Acornvilla
27/09/2009, 8:07 PM
has sheridan a club now?

Traps Cat
27/09/2009, 8:38 PM
has sheridan a club now?

Yes, Chesterfield

hoops1
27/09/2009, 8:46 PM
has sheridan a club now?

No Dublin City are still expunged.

irishfan86
27/10/2009, 9:08 PM
Hughton has officially been named Newcastle manager, and Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market. In addition, 20 million pounds have been pumped into the club.

Congratulations to Chris for earning his first permanent managerial position- he's put the work in for years as an assistant, and deserves the chance.

Colbert Report
27/10/2009, 9:10 PM
Fair play to Chris Hughton. Still a whole lot of dead weight at Newcastle that must be trimmed before they can compete properly in the Premiership.

EastTerracer
27/10/2009, 10:47 PM
Hughton has officially been named Newcastle manager, and Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market. In addition, 20 million pounds have been pumped into the club.

Delighted for Chris Hughton - best of luck to him. I may have one of the first young players he coached on a Premier Dairies summer soccer camp way back when (U-12) - long before the days of Samba Soccer :)

Unfortunately though, as a Newcastle fan, the news that Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market is likely to cause more turmoil. I don't think the fans, players or backroom staff will be too pleased with that news (he was one of the primary reasons why Shay decided to cut his losses there last season).

Acornvilla
27/10/2009, 10:58 PM
Delighted for Chris Hughton - best of luck to him. I may have one of the first young players he coached on a Premier Dairies summer soccer camp way back when (U-12) - long before the days of Samba Soccer :)

Unfortunately though, as a Newcastle fan, the news that Mike Ashley has taken the club off the market is likely to cause more turmoil. I don't think the fans, players or backroom staff will be too pleased with that news (he was one of the primary reasons why Shay decided to cut his losses there last season).

atleast it brings some stability to the club. as long as things continue on an upward slope it will all be rosey.
if they get promoted then next season ashley and the fans will not have stupidly high expectations as they have had before and in the long run can only be a good thing for chris and the club aswell as ashleys blood pressure

geysir
27/10/2009, 11:04 PM
Good luck to Chris.
I thought, as one might expect, that he might be struck with a losing run after being officially appointed.

SuperDave
27/10/2009, 11:17 PM
I expect Ashley may put it back on the market if the club secure promotion (given that a PL club is worth much much more than a Championship one)

EastTerracer
28/10/2009, 12:08 AM
atleast it brings some stability to the club. as long as things continue on an upward slope it will all be rosey.
if they get promoted then next season ashley and the fans will not have stupidly high expectations as they have had before and in the long run can only be a good thing for chris and the club aswell as ashleys blood pressure

I don't think it actually does bring any stability. In January this year the club was up for sale, Joe Kinnear had scraped a few points together and Newcastle had started to pull away from the bottom three. On the morning of the Liverpool game Ashley announced that he was taking the club off the market, the team got thrashed and Shay came out afterwards and announced he wanted out (after ten years of loyalty). In the past two years the teams' best performances have been when there was a prospect of Ashley leaving the club. I just fear that disillusionment is about to set in again!

Junior
28/10/2009, 9:09 AM
Best of luck Chris!! - Comes across as a great guy and we need Irish managers progressing well - Slightly strange timing in that whilst they are top of the league, two draws followed by two defeats and the last result a 92nd minute winner guaranteed them the 3 pts.

I dont believe the club is off the market - there are no buyers currently - if one was to come in with the £80m or so reduced asking price Im sure he'd snap their hands off. He also hasnt pumped another £20m in to the club - he's suggested it will be made available (hes suggested a lot of things in the past tho right?) If he can sell without investing further cash of his own then Im sure this is the option he'd take.

Of course, the club would be worth much more IF they are a premiership side, no guarantees there though - are there?

Ashley is also looking to sell the naming rites for St. James Park to bring in some extra cash.

Anyway I hope Chris does well it what will be an extremely difficult job.

irishfan86
05/04/2010, 11:41 PM
Congratulations to Chris Hughton for achieving promotion with Newcastle. He's turned a joke of a team into a functioning, efficient unit once again. The real test doesn't come until next season, but I think he's up for it.

Potential future Ireland manager if he continues to impress at Newcastle...

Serb
06/04/2010, 11:33 AM
I think his biggest achievement this season is turning the bunch of jokers at the back into the best defence in the Championship. It's a lower standard of course but his team have only conceded one goal more than Chelsea and 4 more than United in 9 more games. They key for them will be if Andy Carroll can carry his goalscoring form to the Premier League next season. And, er, maybe Leon Best can get a game or two please.

Wishing him the best of luck in the Premier League anyway, would love to see him managing Ireland at some point.

ArdeeBhoy
06/04/2010, 11:48 AM
Congratulations to Chris Hughton for achieving promotion with Newcastle. He's turned a joke of a team into a functioning, efficient unit once again. The real test doesn't come until next season, but I think he's up for it.

Potential future Ireland manager if he continues to impress at Newcastle...

Whilst Ashley's there, I can't see your last line being too relevant next season. That said, CH is a more credible candidate than SS, BK or even RMK to manage Ireland in the next 5 years....

Serb
06/04/2010, 12:41 PM
Whilst Ashley's there, I can't see your last line being too relevant next season. That said, CH is a more credible candidate than SS, BK or even RMK to manage Ireland in the next 5 years....

Damn it, I hate when people do this. SS is Steve Staunton and BK is Brian Kerr. RMK is Roy Maurice Keane? Why would Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton be in the running for the Irish job any time in the next 5 years? They've both been Irish managers in the past five years. Could you ever see Roy Keane working for the FAI? Me neither.

He certainly could be in the running for the Ireland job in the next five years, but 5 years is a long time in football.

seanfhear
06/04/2010, 6:26 PM
Well done Chris Hughton. Any manager that has success with Newcastle deserves all the credit he can get. Hopefully they make a few signings as I think they will need some quality to compete in the premiership.

yapster
06/04/2010, 10:19 PM
I am happy for Hughton and I hope he has continued success

EastTerracer
22/08/2010, 1:35 PM
It must be a first today to have two former Republic of Ireland assistant managers facing each other as managers in the English league. Chris Hughton v Kevin McDonald have some more coaching badges than Maurice Setters v Ian 'Taff' Evans at least.

ArdeeBhoy
23/08/2010, 8:31 AM
Credit to CH;No Mags fan (My Mackem pals would want to do something horrible if I admitted any relative affection) but great to see he has a 6-0 win the EPL now on his cv.

Lucky enough to meet a couple of times and a proper gent. Keep up the good work.

And no idea what Serb was on about 4 months ago....

Deckydee
02/09/2010, 10:58 AM
Apparently Chris Hughton is on the shortlist of managers that the FA has drawn up to replace Capello.
(should he mess up in the coming days)

You heard it here first.

Serb
02/09/2010, 11:03 AM
The FA are compiling a shortlist of managers to replace Capello before the qualifying campaign has even begun? I'm ignoring the fact that Chris Hughton is supposed to be on this list. Do you have a link, or any kind of source for that?

Deckydee
02/09/2010, 11:19 AM
The FA are compiling a shortlist of managers to replace Capello before the qualifying campaign has even begun? I'm ignoring the fact that Chris Hughton is supposed to be on this list. Do you have a link, or any kind of source for that?

Nope.

Duggie
02/09/2010, 11:38 AM
Apparently Chris Hughton is on the shortlist of managers that the FA has drawn up to replace Capello.
(should he mess up in the coming days)

You heard it here first.

i doubt that very much.

Deckydee
02/09/2010, 12:39 PM
The only link that I have (in regards to this topic) is that thug Joey Barton recommending him for the English job. The link is about a month old:

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/hughton_for_england_dont_rule_it_out_540142/index.shtml

seanog2001
02/09/2010, 2:40 PM
He is defintely a contender for the english job

ArdeeBhoy
07/11/2010, 2:32 PM
Another great result for him at Arsenal today, following on from last Sunday.
Really really pleased for Chris, though maybe a shame it has to be Newcastle....

At this rate, he's too good for the Ireland job or even the other lot, which I hope he wouldn't ever take not that it would happen.

geysir
07/11/2010, 2:32 PM
Chris is continuing to do very well at Newcastle, excellent performance by his team against Arsenal today.
Ironic that if Shay had stayed, he probably would be enjoying life in football a lot more.

tommy_c12000
07/11/2010, 3:41 PM
Absolutely disgraceful that his job was apparently "in danger" 2 games ago. Now Newcastle sitting pretty in 4th - he's the toast of Newcastle once again

elroy
07/11/2010, 6:54 PM
Absolutely disgraceful that his job was apparently "in danger" 2 games ago. Now Newcastle sitting pretty in 4th - he's the toast of Newcastle once again

Sums up that club in fairness.

rebelmusic
07/11/2010, 8:14 PM

Logged on to say something similar. Was it more to do with the media though?

MeathDrog
07/11/2010, 11:39 PM
Sums up that club in fairness.

His job was NEVER in danger. It was bullsh*t stirred up by the local media with the likes of Alan Oliver bored with nothing to write about.

gastric
08/11/2010, 9:35 AM
I think his biggest achievement this season is turning the bunch of jokers at the back into the best defence in the Championship. It's a lower standard of course but his team have only conceded one goal more than Chelsea and 4 more than United in 9 more games. They key for them will be if Andy Carroll can carry his goalscoring form to the Premier League next season. And, er, maybe Leon Best can get a game or two please.

Wishing him the best of luck in the Premier League anyway, would love to see him managing Ireland at some point.
What Serb wrote back in April is so true. Hughton has done a brilliant job and I agree with Serb's sentiments too. His post is nearly prophetic!

jbyrne
08/11/2010, 12:01 PM
His job was NEVER in danger. It was bullsh*t stirred up by the local media with the likes of Alan Oliver bored with nothing to write about.

id suspect shearer and his supporters were involved also in some way

geysir
08/11/2010, 12:34 PM
That's why he is affectionately known as Anal Oliver.

But every cry of support from the fans now is in context of the hammering dished to Sunderland, followed by an outstanding team performance against Arsenal.

CraftyToePoke
08/11/2010, 1:10 PM
Whatever about them sacking him, surely they will have to pay him to keep him soon? I mean he will have options already, but a top half Prem finish with basically the fallout and leftovers in his squad, of a string or previous failed incumbents as manager there would see Hughton as the rising star on the ladder surely.

If they replace him with a 'name' as they are well capable of doing in that place, Id bet he will fare better than Newcastle in the long term anyway. If they do that they deserve another relegation.

Kingdom
08/11/2010, 1:48 PM
Two mates of mine (brothers) are big Newcastle fans and I was talking to one about the sacking rumours of a week ago, he felt that it was a ploy by locals to unrest Ashley into making a rash decision, resulting in Ashley becoming public enemy again, resulting in a change of ownership.
Bizarre, but very (car)toonish.

jbyrne
06/12/2010, 1:43 PM
ridiculous....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1206/hughtonc.html

watch shearer worm his way back in.

SkStu
06/12/2010, 1:44 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9261212.stm

sacked by Newcastle. Logical if you look at the last game, bizarre if you have a brain and look at the terrific job he has done there overall. Newcastle are the pits.

Lenny82
06/12/2010, 1:49 PM
I cannot believe this. I never believed all the paper talk that his job was on the line. How can you get a club promoted, sit middle of the table in your first season back up, draw with the league champions, beat Arsenal at the Emirates, hockey Villa and Sunderland and still get the sack? I hope they give the job to Shearer again and they get relegated!!!

OwlsFan
06/12/2010, 1:52 PM
Ashton loves "high profile" managers who usually get the club in to difficulties. Perennial under achievers and is it any wonder?

tetsujin1979
06/12/2010, 1:54 PM
and in a single act, the lunatics are once more in charge of the asylum

tommy_c12000
06/12/2010, 1:55 PM
Absolutely shocked. Crazy stuff. Get him in for the Irish job!