PDA

View Full Version : What happens if we don't win?

Noelys Guitar
03/02/2007, 7:43 AM
I again don't like the way Staunton is approaching this game. We are playing an away game against a very weak team. But it is a competitive game not a friendly and the 'gaffer' has started up his youth chant again. We should be picking the best players available no matter what their ages are. Staunton is behaving like we are 10 points clear of the other teams. And this being an away game we have no right(yet) to believe this game will be a walkover. It won't be a repeat of the Cyprus result but we could struggle against even this crap San Marino team.

liaml
03/02/2007, 9:00 AM
We are not going to qualify anyway.

With that in light one of two things will come out of this.

1. Stan proves us all wrong. We do really well for the rest of the matches, blood a new generation of stars and roll up our sleeves for the WCQ.

2. Stan proves us all right. We get a new Manager.

I'm hoping for option 1 obviously.

-Liam

RiffRaff
03/02/2007, 10:53 AM
I dont think we can qualify but not winning this match would still be a disaster. What worries me is that if we havent scored after an hour or so, we will have just a couple of very inexperienced strikers on the bench

Irish_Praha
03/02/2007, 12:53 PM
I dont think we can qualify but not winning this match would still be a disaster. What worries me is that if we havent scored after an hour or so, we will have just a couple of very inexperienced strikers on the bench

Throw them in at the deep end I say! :D

NeilMcD
03/02/2007, 12:58 PM
What players are not there that should be?

cavan_fan
03/02/2007, 3:39 PM
We have to keep this in context. Would any of the San Marino players be of Junior League standard? I like the analogy that we are playing Leitrim. Shane Long (as an example) would be the absolute star of the San Marino team, so it's irrelevant which of the players play.

pete
03/02/2007, 3:48 PM
The managers job is to win his games therefore he picks his best team for each competitive game. Staunton would be sacked if he failed to win.

theleprechaun
04/02/2007, 1:22 PM
The managers job is to win his games therefore he picks his best team for each competitive game. Staunton would be sacked if he failed to win.

ya he will be sacked but where will we be? we need to stay positive. we can still qualify yet

drinkfeckarse
05/02/2007, 3:42 PM
Undoubtedly, if we failed to beat San Marino then Stan should be fired on the spot.

GavinZac
05/02/2007, 3:56 PM
ya he will be sacked but where will we be? we need to stay positive. we can still qualify yet

no, we wont qualify, and firing him NOW, this moment, would give his successor time get set up - at least the successor wont be "learning about management"

Armando
05/02/2007, 8:25 PM
Undoubtedly, if we failed to beat San Marino then Stan should be fired on the spot.

If we don't beat San Marino he should be fired AT on the spot!

Seriously, San Marino is nothing but routine. We will beat them convincingly. They are the lowest standard possible at international level.

TonyD
05/02/2007, 9:00 PM
In answer to the original question, if Ireland don't win I will probably pish myself laughing. :p

Kivlehan
05/02/2007, 10:36 PM
Considering the unlikelihood of catching Germany and the Czech Republic, getting the younger players some experience against a team like San Marino isn't the worst idea in the world. Should Ireland be mathmatically eliminated at some point, it would become the wise move to run younger guys out there to give them international experience ahead of the WCQ.

Obviously any Irish side should beat San Marino and it if fails to happen then the result is probably one that expedites the firing of people who should be fired anyway.

theworm2345
06/02/2007, 1:16 AM
What players are not there that should be?
I can think of more than a few who deserve to be there twice as much as these younger guys but its San Marino so its OK (assuming what this thread is about doesnt happen). I wont get into who but if this is the squad for our March fixtures then there could be some trouble

youngirish
06/02/2007, 9:05 AM
With all the injuries and Staunton being clueless I have a bad feeling Ireland are going to struggle to find the first goal against San Marino. They'll be defending in numbers.

We need Stevie Ireland to start in the centre for that bit of creativity we usually lack. His defensive frailties should not be an issue against San Marino.

elroy
06/02/2007, 9:13 AM
I have zero worries about this game, after what I saw in LR, San Marino are utter rubbish. Liechtenstein are brazil in comparison to them. We will win by 3/4 nil. Its the two games after is what we decide whether we have a chance or not.

Dr. Ogba
06/02/2007, 10:24 AM
I again don't like the way Staunton is approaching this game. We are playing an away game against a very weak team. But it is a competitive game not a friendly and the 'gaffer' has started up his youth chant again. We should be picking the best players available no matter what their ages are. Staunton is behaving like we are 10 points clear of the other teams. And this being an away game we have no right(yet) to believe this game will be a walkover. It won't be a repeat of the Cyprus result but we could struggle against even this crap San Marino team.

Strikes me that you're complaining for the sake of complaining. IMHO I think Staunton has picked the right squad for this match...get the youngsters in and throw them in at the deep end....would you be happy if he just stuck with the "tried and tested" of Morrisson, Connolly, Doherty :eek: and all the rest??
Just hope that he has the b*llox to go the whole hog and drop the rest of the dead wood such as O'Shea and Kilbane....

Lets just reiterate this...this is not a competitive match, THERE IS NO CHANCE THAT WE WILL NOT WIN THIS! Sure I'd say my Sunday league team would prob beat San Marino, and we're brutal!!

Noelys Guitar
06/02/2007, 11:52 AM
Strikes me that you're complaining for the sake of complaining. IMHO I think Staunton has picked the right squad for this match...get the youngsters in and throw them in at the deep end....would you be happy if he just stuck with the "tried and tested" of Morrisson, Connolly, Doherty :eek: and all the rest??
Just hope that he has the b*llox to go the whole hog and drop the rest of the dead wood such as O'Shea and Kilbane....

Lets just reiterate this...this is not a competitive match, THERE IS NO CHANCE THAT WE WILL NOT WIN THIS! Sure I'd say my Sunday league team would prob beat San Marino, and we're brutal!!

Errr...So drop Carsley again? I would play Hunt (25 by the way) and Long. I consider both to be part of our best team. I would not play Kilbane at the moment or possibly ever again as I see him ending up in the championsip fairly soon. I still remember the Cyprus game and stated on here BEFORE that match that Staunton was approaching that game the wrong way. And I take it you mean the "******" as in the "******ology" he showed in that game.

SuperDave
06/02/2007, 1:50 PM
If we don't beat San Marino he should be fired AT on the spot!

Seriously, San Marino is nothing but routine. We will beat them convincingly. They are the lowest standard possible at international level.

fired FROM the spot, in a giant cannon, to uzbekistan, turkmenistan, kyrgylyrgyrgbystan or any of them places out there.

Noelys Guitar
08/02/2007, 1:22 AM
As I said before the Cyprus game Stan was appointed by people who should have seen close up that he Stan didn't have what was needed. For the first time in my 30 years of supporting the team i heard fans laughing at the side. The farce we have become under Stan and worse Delaney is undermining what I believe is the nucleus of a very good side. It is very depressing.

mypost
08/02/2007, 2:34 AM
And to think the FAIlures wouldn't employ Ron Atkinson, on the basis of a few throwaway "racist" comments. :rolleyes: Staunton's comments are an insult to stupid people.

GavinZac
08/02/2007, 7:49 AM
And to think the FAIlures wouldn't employ Ron Atkinson, on the basis of a few throwaway "racist" comments. :rolleyes: Staunton's comments are an insult to stupid people.

"racist"? :confused: