PDA

View Full Version : John O'Shea

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

The Money Man
05/12/2002, 11:12 PM
Below is an extract from 'United We Stand' (Man U Fanzine) report on the Worthington Cup game the other night.

"John O'Shea was the surprise inclusion of the night playing in central midfield. Once again the Irishman proved that he is well on his way to becoming the greatest living footballer by strolling around and making the game we all so desperately wanted to be good at seem so f**king easy.
Ba*tard!"

I personally despise the Mancs. Yes this is a serious exaggeration of the fact. Nice that they hold John in such esteem though!

dosullivan
24/04/2003, 12:30 AM
I think this guy is somewhat wasted as a left back. The more I see him play, especially at such a high level, I think he could contribute more as a defensive midfielder. His passing is excellent, he is an excellent reader of the game and has plenty of pace.
Any thoughts on this?

Schumi
24/04/2003, 11:36 AM
I think he's wasted at left back as well but I'd have him in centre defence.

Niamh_GalwayGal
24/04/2003, 1:02 PM
He is good at getting forward down that side of the wing though and he's a good supply man

brine2
24/04/2003, 2:28 PM
He's a future Ireland captain.

John83
25/04/2003, 10:47 AM
Let's just all agree that he's one hell of a player.

Niamh_GalwayGal
26/04/2003, 10:45 AM
He got Trick Of The Week on Uefa for his nutmeg on figo -
http://www.uefa.com/trainingground/News/Kind=128/newsId=66233.html

Neil
27/04/2003, 3:23 PM
I read he just signed a £7m contract with Manchester.
How bad!

gustavo
27/04/2003, 3:26 PM
why is that bad

ElSieteSecretos
24/04/2004, 1:58 PM
'Shea backs Roy Keane return

Saturday, April 24 2004 1:23

John O'Shea has given his full backing to Manchester United team-mate Roy Keane's international return.

The young defender is set to play in the same Irish side as Keane for the first time on Wednesday when Brian Kerr's men take on Poland in Bydgoszcz.

As a relative newcomer to the national side, O'Shea only has second hand accounts of Keane's controversial departure from the Ireland squad during the 2002 World Cup after a bust-up with coach Mick McCarthy.

Two years on and with McCarthy now replaced by Kerr, Keane offered to return to the fold. And though opinion here is still divided over whether the 32-year-old midfielder's olive branch should have been accepted, Kerr had little hesitation in naming him in his squad at the earliest possible opportunity.

There may yet be some bridges to build with certain members of the squad, but O'Shea is adamant Keane should be part of the team aiming to reach the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

"I am delighted to have him back," said the 22-year-old. "He will be just as important to Ireland as he is to Manchester United, particularly in midfield where we have a few young, talented lads."

"The likes of Andy Reid, Liam Miller, Stephen Reid and, when he is fit, Colin Healy will have the chance to pick up so much experience. When you learn from Roy Keane, you are learning from the best in the business."

Kerr has been careful not to rock the Irish boat too much and has opted to retain Kenny Cunningham as skipper, even though Keane's experience in the role vastly outweighs that of the Birmingham defender. And even though the possibility of friction is something that has crossed O'Shea's mind, he is sure between them Kerr and Keane can iron out any problems.

"I am sure the two of them will have spoken about it and it's something they will deal with when the situation arises," he said. "When the team meets up, probably there will be something that happens which deals with Roy coming back. I'm sure Brian is clever enough to know what to do."

"I just think it is great news for Ireland and I am really looking forward to the game next week. Hopefully everything will go well and we can start concentrating on the football again."

Filed by Barry J Whyte :)

ElSieteSecretos
24/04/2004, 2:01 PM
O' Shea is right, its what Ireland really needs in the midfield and the other players can learn from the best in the business!

ElSieteSecretos
24/04/2004, 7:08 PM
He'd hardly disagree,now,FFS!
that is a good point

Plastic Paddy
01/02/2005, 8:55 PM
What a finish! :D

:D PP

ken foree
01/02/2005, 9:03 PM
agree! what a goal

eirebhoy
01/02/2005, 9:14 PM
2 in 2 now. He's on fire. :)

Slash/ED
01/02/2005, 9:17 PM
Over the past month or so O'Sheas really turned his game around, imo. He's looking as good as he was in his first season, obviously being dropped did the trick for him. Silvestres sending off will give him a chance, it's between him and Brown for what could be around three league games. Silvestre is a weak link and either one could force their way in in his absence imo, lets hope O'Shea gets the chance.

eirebhoy
01/02/2005, 9:19 PM
How did O'Shea do when he came on anyway? Got a good half hour.

Robbie set up Spurs only goal when he was switched to the wing and Kelly seems to be first choice right back at Spurs. :) Jol, what a man. ;)

sylvo
01/02/2005, 9:32 PM
Fantastic goal, the look on his face as he looked at the linesman was also brilliant.

Slash/ED
01/02/2005, 9:33 PM
I thought he was good, his passing was simple but effective most of the time and Arsenal couldn't create much after he came on which is a credit to him given he was being asked to do alot of defencive work. Another good performance by him capped by a stunning goal.

IsMiseSean
01/02/2005, 9:51 PM
great finish, I didn't think he had it in him :D

jbyrne
01/02/2005, 10:01 PM
great finish! far better footballer than many give him credit for. deserves a good run in both his teams.
another great midfield performance from keane also

Karlos
01/02/2005, 10:01 PM
Have to agree - great finish by O'Shea and Utd were worthy winners for their second half display.

adamcarr
01/02/2005, 10:04 PM
Great goal... it took him a while to realise it wasnt offside though! :p

Condex
01/02/2005, 10:28 PM
Looked totally off the pace of the game early on, but then popped up and scored the goal..

Donal81
01/02/2005, 10:50 PM
I love this site but it's ridiculously predictable sometimes. I can remember a lengthy thread not too long ago - I only signed up in September - which castigated the chap! Fair enough, he has improved recently but he's always been a decent player who happened to go through a bad patch!

Slash/ED
01/02/2005, 10:52 PM
Fair enough, he has improved recently but he's always been a decent player who happened to go through a bad patch!

Something which I've always said :)

Superhoops
01/02/2005, 11:14 PM
up front V China keane and o'shea :D ;)

Suggested this before 'I would like to see him tried out as a striker. He can head and can shoot. He has a presence in the opposing box for free kicks and corners. If nothing else he may give us an option if we needed a big guy up front.'

Definitely worth looking at.

Slash/ED
01/02/2005, 11:18 PM
In fairness his problem is he's had too many positions, playing him up front would do more harm than good.

Condex
01/02/2005, 11:55 PM
I've slagged off Miller but not O'Shea, I think hes a good footaller..

tricky_colour
02/02/2005, 12:18 AM
I have often wondered if O'Shea could play a similiar role to that
of Nial Quinn.
He seems to be developing into a master of all trades :D
He certaintly seems to have a pretty good strike rate at the moment
anyway.

Kevin77
02/02/2005, 12:23 AM
Just like Delap's two goals against Arsenal - O'Shea best Irish striking talent ever. Not quite.

Please don't play him up front. We don't need a "big man" up there!

ken foree
02/02/2005, 1:03 AM
o'shea can play midfield if he continues to improve which is almost like saying nothing at all. but i think he's got the technique and 2 decent feet. he looked a little lumbering but has some experience now and confidence, well.. how calmly he took his goal.

Stuttgart88
02/02/2005, 7:09 AM
Aren't we getting a bit carried away?

He's done well in a midfield role in two games & now we're saying he should be a striker!

Still, MUFC gave a good lesson in how to defend a lead in a tough away game and JOS played his part.

Plastic Paddy
02/02/2005, 7:30 AM
Lads I'm sitting here eating a big bowl of humble pie.

Don't go hogging the whole bowl, TP. You'd better make sure there's some left over for everyone's favourite Caribbean politician. :D

:D PP

Eire06
02/02/2005, 7:45 AM
Fair play to O'Shae delighted for him...
First class finish

He looked truely shocked himself when he scored

Macy
02/02/2005, 7:49 AM
O'Shea was playing poorly for a season and half, after an amazing first season, and seemed to have lost interest and gained weight. The transfer talk seems to have given him the kick up the arse, he's lost a few pounds and is producing the goods again. Fair play to him, as he could've been on a downwards spiral out of the club, but he's turned it around - and long may it continue.

cullenswood
02/02/2005, 8:10 AM
I have often wondered if O'Shea could play a similiar role to that
of Nial Quinn.

You mean stick him in goals aswell!??!

tetsujin1979
02/02/2005, 9:48 AM
You mean stick him in goals aswell!??!

And save penalties??

With all the talk of O'Shea moving into midfield (eventually) who will play left full?? In the squad he's the only recognised left full in there, apart from Finnan who (I'd imagine) will play right full.

BaZmO*
02/02/2005, 10:09 AM
he looked a little lumbering

I think that's O'Shea's biggest problem. He looks so awkward on the ball and as a result he comes in for a lot of stick as a clumsy unskilful player. Personally I think he's a great player, a great passer of the ball, always does the simple thing and as we've learned over the last couple of games he's a fantastic finisher!! :cool:

B.

Peadar
02/02/2005, 10:12 AM
Personally I think he's a great player, a great passer of the ball, always does the simple thing...

You've obviously never seen him play for Ireland! :rolleyes:

Stuttgart88
02/02/2005, 10:37 AM
O'Shea's problem is that the quality of his passing from left-back has been suspect, but in my mind he's a very dependable defender. At the Croatia game I was practically at pitch level and it was obvious he struggled with his accuracy when put under pressure by his opponent.

I think he's looked far more accomplished and confident at right-back and now he's beginning to show signs he can do a job in central midfield.

JOS has loads of ability but suffers by being our best left-back by default. Hopefully Reid can make RHM his own, with Finnan playing left back. JOS can then battle it out for RB (though Carr's injuries may hand him this role), CB or even as an extra central midfielder as he was used last night.

Despite his poor game in Basle '03 I'd have faith in him were to move to CB in due course. KC can't go on forever. I hope Ferguson keeps faith in him as he still has plenty to do to become the player he can be.

Slash/ED
02/02/2005, 11:38 AM
in fairness hte lads the only reason he finished so well was because he thought he was offisde and therefore not under pressure, i can gurantee you if he "had" to score that goal and thought himself that he was onside then he wouldnt have finished so well.

Like against Boro when he finished equally well? :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
02/02/2005, 11:55 AM
he hasnt the same positional sense as keane and wehn playing in midfield he always seems to play very far forward,
That's the job Fergie gives him. Keane does the holding role while O'Shea gets forward. I wouldn't trust O'Shea in the holding role just yet though.

cullenswood
02/02/2005, 12:08 PM
But heck, that's even happened to Diego Forlan...

Forlan has scored 13 goals in La Liga this season!!

ken foree
02/02/2005, 12:25 PM
I think that's O'Shea's biggest problem. He looks so awkward on the ball and as a result he comes in for a lot of stick as a clumsy unskilful player.
B.

i shoulda clarified, by 'lumbering' i meant without the ball - he got done on a cole 1-2 and keane had to bail him out, looked short of pace over the short distance. on the ball i actually think he looks very natural and comfortable, even when he's giving it away from LB for ire. ;)

John83
02/02/2005, 5:29 PM
i shoulda clarified, by 'lumbering' i meant without the ball - he got done on a cole 1-2 and keane had to bail him out, looked short of pace over the short distance. on the ball i actually think he looks very natural and comfortable, even when he's giving it away from LB for ire. ;)
I'd agree. My biggest problem with him is his tendancy to play left back so laid back he's nearly horizontal. He doesn't work hard enough there, and it's compounded by poor positioning and his having the agility of an asparagus. On the ball in almost any other position, he looks fine.

I think there's still a big question of whether he's a great player who's had some bad spells or a decent player who's had some excellent spells. He just hasn't been playing long enough to tell.

1MickCollins
03/02/2005, 2:58 AM
I'd agree. My biggest problem with him is his tendancy to play left back so laid back he's nearly horizontal. He doesn't work hard enough there, and it's compounded by poor positioning and his having the agility of an asparagus. On the ball in almost any other position, he looks fine.

I think there's still a big question of whether he's a great player who's had some bad spells or a decent player who's had some excellent spells. He just hasn't been playing long enough to tell.

I don't mind you belittling JOS or David Connolly but leave the asparagus alone please.

Kevin77
03/02/2005, 4:28 AM
in fairness hte lads the only reason he finished so well was because he thought he was offisde and therefore not under pressure, i can gurantee you if he "had" to score that goal and thought himself that he was onside then he wouldnt have finished so well.

You can guarantee that? I'm impressed. How come you aren't managing a top club?

tricky_colour
03/02/2005, 12:38 PM
I don't think there are any management vacancies in the
Premiership at the moment.

O'Shea took his previous goal just as well when he was onside and
under pressure.
He just seems to have grown in confidence.

Cowboy
03/02/2005, 5:41 PM
I thought it was a superb finish and i'm an Arsenal fan