PDA

View Full Version : National Nurses Organisation Approves Strike Action

pete
02/02/2007, 12:50 PM
Ireland.com (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/0202/breaking37.htm)

Seems they looking to take advantage of upcoming General Election.

Also proves that Benchmarking & the National pay Agreements are a sham. The Nurses tried to take their claims to the Labour Court but it was rejected as they told has to be settled in the Benchmarking process they signed up for.

Labour Court Rejects Pay Claims (http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1110/nurses.html)

In his recommendation, Labour Court Chairman Kevin Duffy said it would be neither desirable nor consistent with the terms of current or previous agreements for the court to supplant the exclusive functions of the benchmarking body.

You can't just withdraw from a process you signed up for just because not getting your way.

BohsPartisan
02/02/2007, 1:12 PM
Also proves that Benchmarking & the National pay Agreements are a sham.

I agree with the statement though not the sentiment.

Dodge
02/02/2007, 1:14 PM
Seems they looking to take advantage of upcoming General Election.

OOOhhhh nobody else has done that yet. National Development plan anyone?

You can't just withdraw from a process you signed up for just because not getting your way.

Agree.

BohsPartisan
02/02/2007, 1:28 PM

If you read the preamble to towards 2016 you'll see that the basis for the deal rests on rosy predictions about low inflation and interest rate rises. At the time I rubbished those predicitons at a union meeting and was dismissed as these predictions had come from "economists". I have been proved right in the meantime and a few people had to eat humble pie. The increases in Partnership do not meet the increases in the cost of living. It should therefore be ripped up and thrown in the bin along with the whole idea of partnership. Personally I don't care what agreements are being broken, peoples living standards are more important to me than pieces of paper. The left labour council in Liverpool had a slogan "Better to break the law than to break the poor." Its a sentiment I wholeheartedly subscribe to.

Student Mullet
02/02/2007, 1:49 PM
Also proves that Benchmarking & the National pay Agreements are a sham. The Nurses tried to take their claims to the Labour Court but it was rejected as they told has to be settled in the Benchmarking process they signed up for.

You can't just withdraw from a process you signed up for just because not getting your way.If Maxi was a nurse........

BohsPartisan
02/02/2007, 2:19 PM
If Maxi was a nurse........

Horrible image! :eek:

pete
02/02/2007, 10:36 PM
OOOhhhh nobody else has done that yet. National Development plan anyone?

Not getting you there.

Nobody can predict inflation rates & I sure SIPTU & ICTU have enough highly paid advisors who can access the situation.

I know genarally Nurses get a lot of sympathy from the public for disputes but I am not sure if they very well advised in recent years. Their last dispute was a disaster as surprisingly almost no public support & can't see them getting much support for a 35 hour working week...

BohsPartisan
02/02/2007, 10:39 PM
& can't see them getting much support for a 35 hour working week...

Not if the Sindo and the Herag have anything to say about it...