PDA

View Full Version : Seriously dissillusioned by the eL

eamo1
02/02/2007, 12:36 AM
the whole eircom league.this coming season(which im really looking forward to) is its last chance to convince me im not support a joke.ive been a galway utd fan for the last 11 odd years now and im sick of the same crap year after year with teams in the league.my own galway utd are one of the exceptions and i dont mind giving money to the club i love,but its what they are a part of which gets me down.this coming season was meant to be different though with only well run clubs etc being in the p.l but look at shels.the shels situ is just one joke out of many in the last 10 years thats made me occasionally have second thoughts about supporting the league.every year theres some kind of screw up that makes me cringe to think i attend games in it.i use to laugh at them and say "what next"? but now its going beyond a joke.if i dont see an improvement in organisation,officiating,crowds etc this season then ill be seriously considering renewing my season ticket for the following year.it hurts saying all this because ive waited for 5 years for utd to return to the p.l and we but what are we returning to???-a joke of a league run by a bunch of muppets.
rant over.

dcfcsteve
02/02/2007, 12:47 AM
We all share your pain brother.... :cool:

Ironically, Galway are one of the few clubs to have seen any direct benefit form the actions of those who run the league recently....!

Bottom line is - the FAI/League Management Committee is not the league or Irish domestic soccer. It's the clubs and the fans that are. Have faith in your own club (and it would seem to be relatively well-placed with them) and then that is all that Irish football can ask of you. You've done your bit.

And besides - once a ball gets kicked in anger again, you'll soon feel a whoooooole lot better......! :)

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 8:14 AM
I'm not disillusioned at all. REally looking forward to the new season. I think most clubs have sorted themselves out to a large extent, Shels haven't.

Have to say though that I would be a tad worried about Drogheda's spending. I just wonder how they are covering the costs because their wage bill must be massive.

BohsPartisan
02/02/2007, 8:40 AM
REally looking forward to the new season.

Me too. I reckon this is going to be the best season in some time. There are four really strong sides with the possibility of a fifth if Cork can get some players in with the money they recieved for Bennet et al and one or two dark horses too.

Ronnie
02/02/2007, 10:08 AM
I think most clubs are going through serious relaity checks and whilst there will be caulities, with 2 clubs gone already and possibly more, if it makes clubs get btheir structures right and run things right then there is a lot to look forward to.

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 11:13 AM
I think most clubs are going through serious relaity checks and whilst there will be caulities, with 2 clubs gone already and possibly more, if it makes clubs get btheir structures right and run things right then there is a lot to look forward to.

Who is the possibly more? Stop ****ing scare mongering, you're buying into the RTE/Star mentality. The league is actually quite strong at the moment and when licensing is implemented properly and correctly it will be a huge benefit to Irish football as a whole

Partizan
02/02/2007, 11:19 AM
Who is the possibly more? Stop ****ing scare mongering, you're buying into the RTE/Star mentality. The league is actually quite strong at the moment and when licensing is implemented properly and correctly it will be a huge benefit to Irish football as a whole

Thank God there is someone here who talks sense. I'm frankly quite sick of all the negative ****e being put about by the media towards the League. In my 20 years of watching LOI, its the strongest its ever been.

Ronnie
02/02/2007, 11:20 AM
Limerick and Dub City gone. Shels future in doubt. How the hell is that scarmongering?

jebus
02/02/2007, 11:24 AM
Limerick and Dub City gone. Shels future in doubt. How the hell is that scarmongering?

Limerick aren't gone, just under new ownership, just to clear that one up. Shels won't disappear either, at worst they'll be in the 1st Division with us next year. And Wexford will be stepping up to take Dublin City's place, so the league will hopefully be sorted out in the next few weeks and we can get back to football

wws
02/02/2007, 11:26 AM

Run for the hills Ma Barker Dublin City are gone!

:eek:

the only reason Dublin City ever came into being was due to incompetence
the only reason to be disillusioned is the same incompetent fckers are still running the game and making those sort of calls

eamo1
02/02/2007, 11:31 AM
the whole organising of the league.i just hate that clubs can get fixtures changed if they dont want to play a certaoin night(in any other top flight league you play when your meant to unless exceptional circumstances),i also hate officiating in matches because its pi** poor.other crap like the paul marney affair etc a few years back.
i really hope that its all in the past now and that the new found optimism can be a reality this season,as i said im really looking forward to the season but it just feels like nearly every year before a season starts ill say "this year will be different" and its usually not.this coming season is the e.ls best chance to impress me and the rest of the country,i really hope theres no big annual f*ck up because if there is then i may not come back.the words "straw" and "camel" and "broke" come to mind.

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 11:34 AM
the whole organising of the league.i just hate that clubs can get fixtures changed if they dont want to play a certaoin night(in any other top flight league you play when your meant to unless exceptional circumstances),i also hate officiating in matches because its pi** poor.other crap like the paul marney affair etc a few years back.
i really hope that its all in the past now and that the new found optimism can be a reality this season,as i said im really looking forward to the season but it just feels like nearly every year before a season starts ill say "this year will be different" and its usually not.this coming season is the e.ls best chance to impress me and the rest of the country,i really hope theres no big annual f*ck up because if there is then i may not come back.the words "straw" and "camel" and "broke" come to mind.

Agree with most of that.

Let's start a 'NO ASTERIX (*) ON THE LEAGUE TABLE THIS YEAR' campaign.

NAOTLTTY - quite catchy!!:D

eamo1
02/02/2007, 11:38 AM
:) ,i just really also hope that nothing goes to the courts again.the FAI must have their own parking space beside the high court at this stage.every year theres always something.

jebus
02/02/2007, 11:39 AM

At the end of the day its up to the clubs to get fans through the turnstiles, the FAI will always be a shower of useless ****ers, the way they have handled the promotion/relegation issue, the whole licensing process, the Shels debacle and the media proves that. I'm sure there is a lot more going on that we don't know about, there certainly was at Limerick FC anyway, although that can't be commented on for legal reasons :rolleyes:

But anyway its up to the clubs to make this season into a good one, not the muppets in merrion square

eamo1
02/02/2007, 11:44 AM
in merrion square who are organising and in charge of everything.as i said i like giving money to the club i love but just hate the fact that my club are part of a league run by those muppets.they are incompetent and it cheapens and denegrades the whole league with those guys running it.would you like to be in the back seat of a car with a blind person at the wheel???????

corbyeire
02/02/2007, 11:55 AM
suppose we have to be hopeful that everything gets sorted out to some degree and that we can have the league start as planned - then we will focus back on the football and not get too disalusioned with the state of things

if it is delayed etc. - all hell'll could break loose - well itd be a pain in the ar$e

dcfcsteve
02/02/2007, 12:01 PM
in merrion square who are organising and in charge of everything.as i said i like giving money to the club i love but just hate the fact that my club are part of a league run by those muppets.they are incompetent and it cheapens and denegrades the whole league with those guys running it.would you like to be in the back seat of a car with a blind person at the wheel???????

Wrong analogy Eamo. If we were in the same car as the FAI our clubs would be completely powerless with regards our own dierction/destination, which we're simply not.

A better analogy would be that there's 21/22 cars on a busy road - all headed in roughly the same direction, though in different vehicles and at differing speeds. The Traffic Cop directing the traffic and making the traffic laws on that road hasn't got a clue how to do either. He gives different signals to different clubs at different times, slaps tickets and penalty points on some but not others for a variety of reasons etc etc. Sometimes his actions can even be considered to directly cause crashes ! But due to the common sense and road skills of the individual drivers, most of the 21/22 vehicles just get on with their journey towards their various destinations, regardless and inspite of him.

Now wouldn't Delaney look great in a nice pair of motoribke leathers, with that Oscar Wilde quiff poking out from under his crash helmet.... :eek: :D

dcfcsteve
02/02/2007, 12:05 PM

Limerick 37 and Ogra Wexford coming in in their place. Both much stronger clubs than the two they're replacing.

Shels wounded, but not yet dead. Ireland's answer to Leeds United. Bohs phoenix is rising concurrently, though, to take their place as North Dublin's big boys.

So how is the overall picture really that gloomy ? Our club-base is arguably being strengthened overall here ! And we will have 3-4 genuine title contenders - possible even 5 with Pats - which should make it one hell of an exciting league !

I'm going out and buying a fcuk-off big wide screen TV - that's how excited I am about the 2007 season ! God I can't wait........!!!! :D

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 12:07 PM
Steve, a bit off topic but are Derry fans pleased with Fenlon or a bit sceptical?

corbyeire
02/02/2007, 12:08 PM
good for you!

the excitiment all the same is building - cant wait to see the big boys down in terryland - and a good crowd in attendence

dcfcsteve
02/02/2007, 12:19 PM
Steve, a bit off topic but are Derry fans pleased with Fenlon or a bit sceptical?

Broadly I'd say we're pleased with him, as he has a good record.

There is some concern (particularly from me, it should be stated) at how little luck we've had in the transfer market to-date - particularly in comparison to Bohs, Drogs and Pats. There is a danger that we could do a 'Cork' - i.e. stand still whilst our competitors improve around us. However - it is accepted that that this issue has much more to do with geography than with any inactivity or inability on Fenlon's part.

So broadly speaking we're a happy enough bunch who think we got the best man available. Derry fan's are quite a supportive lot really - prepared to have faith in him until the need to do otherwise is proven.

passerrby
02/02/2007, 12:27 PM
sorry eamo but the people who adminster the leagues are not muppets but some of the people who attempt to run clubs are.
as for the new league i am optmistic but there i more than one ollie waiting in the wings

paul_oshea
02/02/2007, 12:41 PM
I'm going out and buying a fcuk-off big wide screen TV - that's how excited I am about the 2007 season ! God I can't wait........!!!!

Can i round again for the euro matches?!?!?! :D

WeAreRovers
02/02/2007, 1:29 PM
sorry eamo but the people who adminster the leagues are not muppets but some of the people who attempt to run clubs are.
as for the new league i am optmistic but there i more than one ollie waiting in the wings

:eek:

No further comment needed.

KOH

Sonic
02/02/2007, 1:59 PM
I'm not disillusioned at all. REally looking forward to the new season. I think most clubs have sorted themselves out to a large extent, Shels haven't.

Have to say though that I would be a tad worried about Drogheda's spending. I just wonder how they are covering the costs because their wage bill must be massive.

I wish i could share your entusiasm

wws
02/02/2007, 2:03 PM
I wish i could share your entusiasm

what he may be alluding to is that the football here - now compares favourably with a number of our European peers - where previously this was not the case. Forget the off field shoite for one minute and just look at the talent still in the league and the talent we are now exporting - these are quality players - playing in a quality league.

The off the field stuff is all politics - and we'll always have to put up with that.

passerrby
02/02/2007, 2:18 PM
now that we have put the final nails into the shels coffin are we now moving on to the drogs

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 3:27 PM
now that we have put the final nails into the shels coffin are we now moving on to the drogs

I actually think it's a serious issue...their wage bill must be €25k + and most full-time meaning paid 52 weeks a year.

paul_oshea
02/02/2007, 3:44 PM
ok so thats 1.3 mil a year. how much from uefa cup matches last year plus tv money, plus gate receipts did they get from last year. that can give some idea of what they need to acheive. unfortunately like leeds in the premiership, when you rely on europe and you dont make it ( as other sides get more competitive etc ) it can have drastic consequences!!

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 3:49 PM
25k+ was just referring to playing staff, other staff to be paid too plus additional overheads probably means 30 - 40 k per week at a guesstimate, i could be way off. No idea if they've loan repayments, transfer installments, signing on fee installments or any of that jazz.

paul_oshea
02/02/2007, 4:03 PM
ok i assumed you meant all full-time staff related to the team including players, management, physio etc

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 4:05 PM
total speculation of course!!

dcfcsteve
02/02/2007, 4:19 PM
Can i round again for the euro matches?!?!?! :D

Course you can dude !

And bring my shirt....! :D

P.S. We haven't got you down The Swan yet. You'll love it in there.....

paul_oshea
02/02/2007, 4:28 PM
P.S. We haven't got you down The Swan yet. You'll love it in there.....

is that where lynda is from ;)

i still have them there text messages. ah well when all is good and ready. nothing like the right timing for ammo!!! :D

yes the swan, how is it for rugby? can you delete your PMs so I can pm ye rather than doing this.

CharlesThompson
02/02/2007, 4:45 PM
Now wouldn't Delaney look great in a nice pair of motoribke leathers, with that Oscar Wilde quiff poking out from under his crash helmet.... :eek: :D

I believe he likes to be called "Poncherello" at the weekend.

Philo
02/02/2007, 6:04 PM
Broadly I'd say we're pleased with him, as he has a good record.

He's certainly off to a flyer... cancelling a DCFC pre-season friendly so he can fly off to San Marino with JD and the boys!

Celdrog
02/02/2007, 7:15 PM
25k+ was just referring to playing staff, other staff to be paid too plus additional overheads probably means 30 - 40 k per week at a guesstimate, i could be way off. No idea if they've loan repayments, transfer installments, signing on fee installments or any of that jazz.
You would be surprised what the Drogs wage bill is per year. We have a lot of pros and manager and coaches but none of them are on silly money. The answer is obvious that the club's deficit is being made up by the directors at the moment until the new stadium and associated businesses are up and running. Obviously this will have to come sooner rather than later but the Drogs fans trust the directors - they are extremely successful businessmen in their own right.
The Drogs sponsorship is huge, Murphy Environmental are very generous, every game has ball and match sponsors. All players are sponsored. The UEFA run last season generated a large income. There was also the little matter of €150,000 from the Setanta prizemoney, never mind gate receipts as well as €300k made from the FAI cup final in Dec 2005.
We have bought nobody in this transfer window - all signings were free and we only really paid decent money for Zayed and Barrett in the last season or two

A lotof money going out, no doubt, but a lot coming in as well

BTW - how much is Ndo on? I don't believe there is any Drog on half what he is getting. He wanted 3k a week from the Drogs and was told where to go.

BohsPartisan
02/02/2007, 10:27 PM
The answer is obvious that the club's deficit is being made up by the directors at the moment until the new stadium and associated businesses are up and running.

I hear this a lot as I know a lot of Drogs fans, some family, but I am scepticle. Your supremo is a property developer is he not? This is enough to make me suspicious. I know I'll be shot down about this as I have been before by Drogs fans and I hope I'm wrong but who knows eh?

Celdrog
03/02/2007, 5:43 AM
I hear this a lot as I know a lot of Drogs fans, some family, but I am scepticle. Your supremo is a property developer is he not? This is enough to make me suspicious. I know I'll be shot down about this as I have been before by Drogs fans and I hope I'm wrong but who knows eh?
Chairman is a retired solicitor with a large property portfolio
Vice Chairman is a business man with several interests (not property)
Third director does own a construction company.

Their business plan appears to be the stadium being used for several things other than football twice a month (concerts, retail, other sports etc). The development beside it (houses, apartments) is not to do with the directors.

I don't think any Drog expects the three amigos to continue putting their hand in their pocket indefinitely but a lot of Drogs know the guys very well which is wher ethe trust is. Vincent Hoey has been associated with the Drogs for over 40 years and Chris Byrne for about 10/11 years. They are not new to the club

Terry
03/02/2007, 7:53 AM
eamo1, If that is how you feel about the FAI, how do you really feel about your club since they were the one who voted for the FAI to take the league over?

Dr.Nightdub
03/02/2007, 11:36 AM
BTW - how much is Ndo on? I don't believe there is any Drog on half what he is getting. He wanted 3k a week from the Drogs and was told where to go.

Dunno about add-ons like car, apartment, whatever, but cash-wise we got him for well less than half that.

eamo1
03/02/2007, 1:58 PM
i love my club and the club and all others voted for it on good faith that things would be different and better.as i said its not the clubs im feeling dissilluionsed by its the organisation of the league because it appears it wont be much better and if it isnt im not putting up with it much longer,sick of it.

geezer
03/02/2007, 5:36 PM
i c how u feel eamo, take the new fangled fai league its all the same heads, cody,mccaul,naughton,delaney running it so i dont hold out much hope for that lot running a professional league. One of that lot ran our club similiar to what oily byrne ran shels. in fact i remember one saturday going to supporters collecting money to pay the bus company 1500 pounds just to see would the lady running the family run bus business get our team, yes team not supporters a bus to fulfill a match against cork city. I visited the lady and she told me how she had been callin and callin the treasurer at the time but she was exasperatted and they wouldnt call her back. Now this person is running the league its a total joke. he coulnt run a bus to cork. These blazers hate supporters (read who stole our game) but players,coaches,managers,chairmen come and go the supporters stay loyal forever. tick with it eamo at least hang around to drive the blazers mad