PDA

View Full Version : Sad to say.........

mahony
05/12/2002, 3:58 PM
It has been 3 yrs since City's youths won the coveted FAI youth cup and to my knowledge there is only 1 maybe 2 (help me out here) players from that team in the current senior squad. Alan bennett being the only one I can recall. (not sure about CAREY).

Anyway what has happened to the rest of that team anyone care to enlighten me. To win the FAI youth cup is no easy task with the quality of youth teams around the country and especially in the Dublin area. An area known to dominant the cup. Not to forget also that team was one of the first teams from cork and surrounding area to win the FAI cup in years. I know Gamble and Delaney were also in the squad and have gone on to try and make a good career for themselves. But isnt the youth squad the nursery of CCFC. It is sad to see so few of them still involved with CCFC. I know there was a striker with them named O'mahony (no relation) and i think he is playing GAA with neil horgan at st finbarrs. There was also a young fella from limerick on goal. Cant remember his name. Shame though these were great prospects.

If you can think of any others let me know please...

The Donie Forde
05/12/2002, 4:16 PM
Was that Seamus O'Donnell in goal? I think Damian O'Rourke was part of that youth team. He's now in America but was part of the senior squad for a couple of years...there was a piece about him in the programme last week.

Donie

Éanna
05/12/2002, 6:09 PM
gamble and delaney went to england. mickey greene went to ramblers U-21´s and was playing GAA with ballincollig last I heard.

mahony
06/12/2002, 12:34 PM
Dont know if that was his name donie but he was good. I completely forgot about Damien O'Rourke. He was a great young prospect also. That piece about him was a good read. Good to see he's happy and enjoying college life in the states. He'll be back though. And as for Micky Greene he was another fantastic young player. Isnt it strange to see that the 2 strikers from that team are now playing GAA away fulltime. They must be better at it!! Christ i remeber them scoring some goals that season,Robert and Mickey. Pity they didnt stay. Maybe they could of helped us this year, in the senior cup, against Derry at home to score a few??:p