PDA

View Full Version : Derek Geary

SeanieBoy
01/02/2007, 3:53 PM
Looks like Derek Geary was half expecting a call-up:

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1887691,00.html

I can see what he means, we aren't exactly gifted with left backs.

republicofwhite
01/02/2007, 3:56 PM
Was just gonna post this... Its actually quite funny, Geary raises a pertinent point. Its quite realistic that Stan actually doesn't know he's Irish, even though he clearly is. Not so comical for Geary of course...

OwlsFan
01/02/2007, 4:27 PM
Its quite realistic that Stan actually doesn't know he's Irish, even though he clearly is....

On what do you base a statement like that :rolleyes: ? Geary was only making the statement to vent his frustration: he wasn't being serious. A couple of seasons ago Geary was playing in the third tier of English football in a poor Sheffield Wednesday team. The mere fact that he plays in the Premiership should not automatically entitle him to a place in the Irish squad. Warnock says "he's the best in the division". I would really place a lot of weight on the comment of that buffoon. I remember Mick Mc being castigated for not playing O'Shea on similar grounds. Same people are now giving out about O'Shea.

Let's see if he continues to make progress and then review the situation.

pete
01/02/2007, 4:31 PM
Being irish as opposed to irish qualifed can be a liability to getting into Ireland squad,

Geary is useless anyway so point hardly arises.

Paddy Garcia
01/02/2007, 7:05 PM
Being irish as opposed to irish qualifed can be a liability to getting into Ireland squad,

It seems you really will this to be the case. I suspect to justify a feeling of bitterness at the historic non-inclusion of domestic players. There have been plenty of bad selection decisions, however they are to do with poor judgement - not a conspirancy.

Geary certainly deserved a chance in the B international at the very least.

pete
01/02/2007, 9:20 PM
It seems you really will this to be the case. I suspect to justify a feeling of bitterness at the historic non-inclusion of domestic players. There have been plenty of bad selection decisions, however they are to do with poor judgement - not a conspirancy.

I am not talking about history but Staunton. Seen Emmanel in the B game too & looked like chubby Andy Reid. Terry Dixon gets into the Ireland squad while still an amateur at Spurs.

drummerboy
01/02/2007, 9:57 PM
While I agree that Geary is probably not the answer to our problem left full position, he is a far superior player than Emanuel (Luton). I was at the B game and the latter was extremely ordinary. Geary should have at least been chosen for the B game.

dr_peepee
02/02/2007, 2:16 PM
It's hard to disagree with him really....

RiffRaff
02/02/2007, 2:27 PM
Geary is not great but he is the only irish left back playing in the premiership at the moment. I think we will soon get a situation similar to Wales under Toshack with a lot of players following Kenny in taking a break or retiring from internationals. You would think that someone playing regularly in the premiership should at least have a phone call from Staunton with some encouragement or reason for not selecting him. I wonder how many of the players dropped - Morrison, Lee etc - had a call from Stan to explain his reasons.

Stuttgart88
02/02/2007, 8:08 PM
Geary reminds me of Dave Langan. Not much in way of finesse but a short, punchy guy who feared nobody and got up and down the pitch like he was on speed. He's not as good as Langan was, but I think he's deserving of a squad place at least.

tetsujin1979
03/02/2007, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Stan had said he spoke with Clinton and said he needed to be playing regularly to get back into the side. Which is fair enough.
It's an open secret at Selhurst Park that he doesn't get on with the manager, and rarely starts even though he's the club top goalscorer!

FarBeag
03/02/2007, 1:31 PM
Can't understand why Geary is not in the squad at least. He plays left back week in and out in the premiership and holds his own. Maybe Stan bases his assessment on Left backs on how he himself played in the same position.

Kingdom
03/02/2007, 2:11 PM
Yeah Geary's ommision is a bit of a strange one. If you were going on the logic of having two players for each position, the left full slots would be covered by Harte and O'Shea, one is a utility man who has never performed for Ireland and the other a player who in most peoples opinion is in the squad for his set-piece ability.
Geary is playing week-in week-out for a team progressing in the Premiership. He might not be great but I don't believe we have the luxury of omitting regular premiership players from our squads!

pete
03/02/2007, 2:33 PM
It is Stauntons job to access players ability. Makes no sense just pick a player because his team is higher up the Premiership table. Would Geary then be dropped if Sheffield United got relegated? Is this the same logic used to justify O'Sheas inclusion dispite him getting on average 5 minutes off the Manchester United bench when the game already won?

Anyone see Sheffield United v Swansea in the FAI Cup. Three goals conceded on Gearys side of the pitch including a ludicrous "tackle" for a penalty.

Dodge
03/02/2007, 2:55 PM
Anyone see Sheffield United v Swansea in the FAI Cup. Three goals conceded on Gearys side of the pitch including a ludicrous "tackle" for a penalty.

So its ok to judge him on one game. I've seen a bit of him (local lad) and he more than holds his own in that league and the one below it. its nothing to do with playing in the premiership, he's a damn fine full back and IMO only Finnan is a better irish full back

pete
03/02/2007, 3:13 PM
So its ok to judge him on one game.

Yes.

BTW Finnan is rubbish too. :cool:

NeilMcD
03/02/2007, 3:32 PM
Yeah its not ok to judge him on one game as that is silly. Also he should not just get in due to the fact of where he plays but whether he is a good player or not. Finnan is a top quality right back and I cant think of a better one in the Premiership. He was top class against Chelsea the other week:

Dodge
03/02/2007, 7:02 PM
I don't rate Finnan that highly but he's certainly the best Irish full back.

tricky_colour
04/02/2007, 12:42 AM
I don't rate Finnan that highly but he's certainly the best Irish full back.

He is rated sixth in the Actim Index and second best defender in the premiership. However.......if you are talking about the best Irish full back
this week then that would be Derek Geary at least according to a little known site called Sky Sports anyway.
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=446012&CPID=8&clid=&lid=1490&title=Team+of+the+Weekend.
Albeit he was not playing as a full back apparently, rather right side of midfield, quite an achievement none the less.

It just go to show the strength in the squad when our best player can't even get in it :D :D :D

republicofwhite
05/02/2007, 2:15 PM
Carr pulls out injured and Luton's Foley is called up... I know he's a good prospect etc but we surely don't have the luxury of consistently ignoring a good performer in the Premiership. I just think its bit of a joke,yet another from Stan. I'm talking more about the principle, I'm aware San Marino are the opposition...

tetsujin1979
05/02/2007, 2:34 PM
it's replacing a right full with a right full, there's no cover in the squad if Finnan picks up a knock, O'Shea can cover left full, or centre half, but I can't remember the last time he played right full. He might have deputised for Neville at some point this season.

republicofwhite
05/02/2007, 3:05 PM
Thats fair enough, but for arguments sake, Geary is naturally a right full, is equally adept at left full, and has also played on the right side of midfield a good few times in the Premiership... AFAIK Foley is an out and out right back, so if you want someone who covers adequately...

tricky_colour
05/02/2007, 4:42 PM
Wise of Stan to pick someone who is accustomed to playing against second rate opposition, rather then first. He obvioulsy not as stupid as he looks. There will be little to worry about defensively, San Marino are no Cyprus,

tetsujin1979
23/05/2020, 12:51 PM
Interviewed on the42 today: https://www.the42.ie/derek-geary-interview-5102845-May2020/