PDA

View Full Version : Starting to follow Sligo Rovers now -- am I picking a bad time? :)

Kivlehan
01/02/2007, 12:50 AM
My paternal grandparents came from County Sligo (near Tubbercurry) and I'm just getting into soccer now thanks to enjoying the World Cup, the FIFA 07 PS2 game and Football Manager 07. This combination of factors leads me to pick Sligo Rovers as the team I'm going to root for.

I'm getting the sense from reading your posts and reading some of the articles on eleven-a-side.com about the new manager that I'm picking a bad time to jump on the bandwagon. I don't particularly care as I'm not looking for a frontrunner, just the natural choice for me (Roscommon doesn't have a team, that's where the maternal grandparents hail from, so it's Sligo or bust).

My question is how much worse do you think Sligo Rovers will be this year as opposed to last year? Fifth place in the top division seems like a pretty decent result. It appears from the postings here that the new manager isn't doing a great job replacing players pilfered by ex-manager Sean Connor.

Is the team going to be in danger of relegation?

Or will the fully professional status and what we can assume to be better training and focus going to help the squad rise above what appears from all of your comments to be a dip in talent? After all, the top 4 teams in the league last year were all fully professional right?

I'll be following the team either way, just wondered what the folks here think these changes will amount to at the end of the day.

SRFC Head
01/02/2007, 7:55 AM
Relax, there is still a month before we kick a ball, plenty of time to get a few players in. Its too early to say whats going to happen yet. Chill out enjoy the begining of a new era for Rovers.

Bravo
01/02/2007, 10:29 AM
Quite the opposite, it’s a great time ok we may or may not have too much success this year however when we do it is all that sweeter after tasting defeat. 1 good season every 10 years makes it all worthwhile!! No Sun shiners here :D

Your very welcome by the way.

P.S. You have to remember that this forum only reflects the opinion of a minority of Rovers supporters and does not necessarily represent the general consensus a lot of people are looking forward and expecting great things this year;)

red_away
01/02/2007, 12:10 PM
After your first few visits to the mecca of football (the showgrounds) you will really come to pity the people born in milan and barcelona!

avvenalaf
01/02/2007, 12:37 PM
Ah, wait now. It's not as handy as that. You just can't become a supporter of Sligo Rovers without having some credentials. Therefore, we would welcome a copy of a psysciatric report indicating that you are mad enough for this position. Also. there are a number of questions which you must answer as part of your induction............

1. Where do you stand on the Gavin Dykes issue ?
2. Shedhead or Blue Stand ?
3. What will Keith Foy weigh in his first competitive match this year ?
4. Regardless of the answer at 3, do you agree that he will be Player of the Year?
5. There's only one Johnny Chadda. Discuss.

The above questions, if answered properly (random use of profanities will accrue extra marks) will result in probationery membership being granted. At the end of the season, the litmus test will come when one question will decide your future.

Name the winners of the half time raffles for any three home games in the league.

May the force be with you.

Fivesilver
01/02/2007, 1:50 PM
In fairness, if you pick a random point in the club's history to join the ranks of Rovers fans, chances are it'll be a "bad time". :D
Welcome aboard.

Paraic
01/02/2007, 3:22 PM
Ah, wait now. It's not as handy as that. You just can't become a supporter of Sligo Rovers without having some credentials. Therefore, we would welcome a copy of a psysciatric report indicating that you are mad enough for this position. Also. there are a number of questions which you must answer as part of your induction............

1. Where do you stand on the Gavin Dykes issue ?
2. Shedhead or Blue Stand ?
3. What will Keith Foy weigh in his first competitive match this year ?
4. Regardless of the answer at 3, do you agree that he will be Player of the Year?
5. There's only one Johnny Chadda. Discuss.

The above questions, if answered properly (random use of profanities will accrue extra marks) will result in probationery membership being granted. At the end of the season, the litmus test will come when one question will decide your future.

Name the winners of the half time raffles for any three home games in the league.

May the force be with you.

Post of the month candidate surely ?

Only1Rovers
01/02/2007, 3:36 PM
This is the best thread in months!!
Welcome Kivlehan, this is a great time to be supporting the Rovers, Most of the last decade have been much worse. And we have developed a new foe in Bohemians. Roll on Seanie's return to the Showgrounds!

Midlandsred
01/02/2007, 4:46 PM
Quite the opposite, it’s a great time ok we may or may not have too much success this year however when we do it is all that sweeter after tasting defeat. 1 good season every 10 years makes it all worthwhile!! No Sun shiners here :D

Your very welcome by the way.

P.S. You have to remember that this forum only reflects the opinion of a minority of Rovers supporters and does not necessarily represent the general consensus a lot of people are looking forward and expecting great things this year;)

1 good season every 10 years still makes it worthwhile at leats its not one every 15 yeara or 20 for that matter

SligoBrewer
01/02/2007, 5:19 PM
1 good season every 10 years still makes it worthwhile at leats its not one every 15 yeara or 20 for that matter

now theres a potm

bomber82290
01/02/2007, 7:13 PM
very good thread keep it going so much negativity this last while.Nobody knows how things are going to work out and if they dont at least as rovers supports we will enjoy it.Week after week will tear this team apart and love every minute of it.Thats football.
nobody not even god can change the past but we make the future.
Welcome Kivlehan

Rory H
02/02/2007, 7:42 PM
i love sligo rovers

Rovers1
02/02/2007, 8:28 PM
i love sligo rovers

and spanish alchohol too maybe?

feo123
02/02/2007, 8:39 PM
i think so too....and if you look at sligoman's posting in another thread it looks as if there having a good time.....

DonalE
02/02/2007, 9:03 PM
I started following Rovers when Don took over as manager so that was a low point. Now i can't get enough, for example; drive 5 hours to cork for a game gainst a Munster senior league side,watch the game and get back in the car and drive home, on my own. Its an addiction and i love every minute of it :ball:

feo123
02/02/2007, 9:23 PM
oh your great arnt ya....

Kivlehan
02/02/2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the kind welcomes all around. :)

feo123
03/02/2007, 12:20 AM
that was a joke gus......

gustavo
03/02/2007, 12:31 AM
fair enough ! jokes dont come across as easy in print though and it looked like a cheap shot

Rory H
03/02/2007, 4:12 PM
it is an addiction....once you start going to away games then you´re hooked...best part about supporting a team the size of rovers is being able to help out with things like supporter buses,raising money etc.

cant wait for this season to start....

Bravo
03/02/2007, 6:58 PM
it is an addiction... like....supporter buses,raising money etc.

cant wait for this season to start....

Is that your first official plug for the trust?:)

good Man!!

Rory H
03/02/2007, 7:05 PM
was it that obvious!ha ha

the trust deserve it though..all the conception are here are false

SligoBrewer
03/02/2007, 7:22 PM
was it that obvious!ha ha

the trust deserve it though..all the conception are here are false

true.. wr...

:)

red bellied
03/02/2007, 11:04 PM
There used to be a New York Rovers supporters club at one stage.

Kivlehan
03/02/2007, 11:50 PM
There used to be a New York Rovers supporters club at one stage.

Interesting, I'm not far from there (2 hours) and its where most of my family lives.

red arrow
04/02/2007, 5:46 PM
hi kivlehan,
delighted to have a new rovers supporter on board. i have a friend in "the big apple" who is a great rovers supporter . his name is donnie kerins i'd say some people hereon ths site would know him. when he lived in ireland back 25 years ago we used to travel to all the away games . we saw rovers win the league in 78 and cup in 83. they were great times. his e mail address is <> i will e mail him and let im know that you may be in contact with him. we could do with a fundraiser in new york

sligobhoy67
05/02/2007, 3:12 PM
hi kivlehan,
delighted to have a new rovers supporter on board. i have a friend in "the big apple" who is a great rovers supporter . his name is donnie kerins i'd say some people hereon ths site would know him. when he lived in ireland back 25 years ago we used to travel to all the away games . we saw rovers win the league in 78 and cup in 83. they were great times. his e mail address is <> i will e mail him and let im know that you may be in contact with him. we could do with a fundraiser in new york

I used to play in a team called The Woodsiders in the Bronx league with Donnie kerins and a load of other New York based Sligo bhoys, Barry McMorrow, Eddie McMorrow, Darren Melly, Sam McGarry and a load of other Queens based Sligoonians - great days!

jimhacker
06/02/2007, 8:20 AM
I started following Rovers when Don took over as manager so that was a low point. Now i can't get enough, for example; drive 5 hours to cork for a game gainst a Munster senior league side,watch the game and get back in the car and drive home, on my own. Its an addiction and i love every minute of it :ball:

I remember you.

I relieved you of your money on the gate!!!

DonalE
06/02/2007, 4:23 PM
I remember you.

I relieved you of your money on the gate!!!

Are ya sure it was me? There was at least 5 other Rovers fans there!