PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Best Player?

Badweather Fan
05/12/2002, 9:44 AM
Ok. Sorry bout the lack of imagination there. just wanted to gauge opinion and all that like. Zidane imo is the easy winner. While his teamare currently playing nappy crap, hes still mr creativity. + hes scoring much more goals now than a few years back.

colster
05/12/2002, 9:50 AM
Have to agree with you there.
I don't think there is any one that even comes close.
Figo, Rivaldo, Totti, Carlos, Ronaldo,Henry,Raul he's better than all of them.

Shed End John
05/12/2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Badweather Fan
Ok. Zidane imo is the easy winner.

Agree with Zidane. Disagree with him being an easy winner. Figo is also a fantastic talent by ANY standards. I'd give it to Zidane 'cause he seems to have slightly better balance than Figo, witnesses to his trademark 'double drag-back' will no doubt agree.

Murhy Out Now!!!

Éanna
05/12/2002, 10:38 AM
Zizou without a doubt. Raul comes second IMO. Anyone see the Intercontinental cup final (Real-Olimpia) some of the football real played was just incredible.

Shed End John
05/12/2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Anyone see the Intercontinental cup final (Real-Olimpia) some of the football real played was just incredible.

Didn't see the match, but, glad to hear that. Real approaching top form just as we get to the business end of the season, nice one. Real for the European Cup.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
05/12/2002, 10:57 AM
Figo probably played the best 45 mins of his life in the first half, Ronaldo was excellent, Makelele played like Zidane, Zidane played like Zidane and Raul was amazing :)

Shed End John
05/12/2002, 11:00 AM
Figo probably played the best 45 mins of his life in the first half, Ronaldo was excellent, Makelele played like Zidane, Zidane played like Zidane and Raul was amazing :)

Brilliant!! The best team in the world AND the trophy to prove it! Bring on European Cup #10!

Murphy Out Now!!!

fosterdollar
05/12/2002, 2:18 PM
Henry is an outstanding player but no contender for this title. However, imo he would be if he went to spain or italy

pete
05/12/2002, 4:45 PM
World Soccer 2002 Vote (http://www.countrylife.co.uk/worldsoccer/awards/2002poll.html)

I believe that vote is for the 2002 calendar year.

Real ale Madrid
05/12/2002, 5:09 PM
Intercontinental cup is just an exhibition game and the crowd from paraguay were useless.

Ronaldo for me is the most gifted footballer in the world today but as for the best player I don't see why Henry should not be in with a shout just because he plays for Arsenal.

fosterdollar
05/12/2002, 5:12 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
I don't see why Henry should not be in with a shout just because he plays for Arsenal.

because the premiersh!it is ...well... sh!t

Real ale Madrid
06/12/2002, 8:35 AM
The premiership is imo the 2nd best league in the world at the moment like it or not.

Henry has proved himself in the champions league and for the french national team and single-handedly destroyed a top 5 serie A team last week.

pete
06/12/2002, 9:28 AM
The premiership is imo the 2nd best league in the world at the moment like it or not.

I don't think you can judge any league on the basis of one season.

Spain obviously by far the top league.
I'd put Germany 2nd as have won 2 or 3 euro cups in the last while.
England might be just ahead of Italy but not for much longer.

Hpow many European Cups has an english team won in the last 10 years? One? hardly makes it the top league then does it?

Not wanting to start a slagging post on english clubs but the premiership is being shown up for major lack of quality in dept beyond the top 3-4 teams.

Real ale Madrid
06/12/2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by pete
I don't think you can judge any league on the basis of one season.

Spain obviously by far the top league.
I'd put Germany 2nd as have won 2 or 3 euro cups in the last while.
England might be just ahead of Italy but not for much longer.

Hpow many European Cups has an english team won in the last 10 years? One? hardly makes it the top league then does it?

Not wanting to start a slagging post on english clubs but the premiership is being shown up for major lack of quality in dept beyond the top 3-4 teams.

Dont disagree with you really but I do think the premiership is better than the bundesliga. It is true thier is a strength and depth problem but getting back to my first point i still think Henry is an exceptional player in a good if not great league. Put it this way I think he would do very well in Spain.

fosterdollar
06/12/2002, 11:39 AM
Put it this way I think he would do very well in Spain.

exactly, he's wasted in england. As Pete says, there's only 3/4 top tems in england so it gives him little opportunity to prove himself in a world standard

The Money Man
06/12/2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
exactly, he's wasted in england. As Pete says, there's only 3/4 top tems in england

It is absolutely accurate to say that there are only 3/4 quality sides in England but I don't think that that necessarily makes the Premiership a cr*p league.

Lets make a comparison with Spain which is the best league in the World today. There are probably only 4/5 top quality sides in that league. Some of the sides in the under-belly of the Primera Liga are genuinely poor. This doesn't make it a bad quality league though. So why is that critisism thrown at the Premiership as proof positive that its rubbish! The logic is surely flawed.

Real ale Madrid
07/12/2002, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by The Money Man
It is absolutely accurate to say that there are only 3/4 quality sides in England but I don't think that that necessarily makes the Premiership a cr*p league.

Lets make a comparison with Spain which is the best league in the World today. There are probably only 4/5 top quality sides in that league. Some of the sides in the under-belly of the Primera Liga are genuinely poor. This doesn't make it a bad quality league though. So why is that critisism thrown at the Premiership as proof positive that its rubbish! The logic is surely flawed.

Could not have put it better myself. If a player plays well in the league and cannot cut it in europe then you can say that the league is poor but that is not the case with Henry or the Premiership.

Éanna
09/12/2002, 5:18 PM
Lets make a comparison with Spain which is the best league in the World today. There are probably only 4/5 top quality sides in that league. Some of the sides in the under-belly of the Primera Liga are genuinely poor.
Wouldn´t agree at all. look at th table- Barcelona have won all their Champions league games, and are 10th, Real are only 6th. I was at Espanyol -v- Betis yesterday. Espanyol are 2nd bottom in the table, betis in the top 5, and you wouldn´t have known it. It finished 4-2 to Betis, 3 red cards and 2 punch up´s. Now thats entertainment :) it was a really cracking game.

The Money Man
09/12/2002, 9:33 PM
Wouldn´t agree at all. look at th table- Barcelona have won all their Champions league games, and are 10th,

3 red cards and 2 punch up´s. Now thats entertainment :) it was a really cracking game.

Newcastle have qualified for the CL second phase but wont exactly be in the Premiership title shake up!

I also fail to see the the relevance of the second point. Does the number of cards brandished and punch-ups engaged in determine the quality of a league?

eoinh
10/12/2002, 12:56 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/crank03.html

eoinh
10/12/2002, 1:08 PM
The english league is the forth best. Although they are second overall they had better win someting within the next 2 years or they will start to tumble down the table. They lose a uefa cup place next season because they willl lose the fair play award. Celtic have to go great guns for the rest of the season or the season after next the scottish will lose te second european qualifying place they have earned.
The LOI was working itself slowly up the table but this year was a diaster. Hopefully the introduction of Summer Soccer will be a great help in European performances. Our Champions League qualifyier will be seeded in the preliminary round next season. Spain from the table is by far the best league in Europe => no question.

Éanna
10/12/2002, 2:23 PM
I also fail to see the the relevance of the second point. Does the number of cards brandished and punch-ups engaged in determine the quality of a league?
No, but it adds to the excitement and the entertainment :)

fosterdollar
10/12/2002, 2:28 PM
Newcastle have qualified for the CL second phase but wont exactly be in the Premiership title shake up!

Was that the point Eanna was making. Newcastle's record in the CL is mediocre. Barcelona'a and Real's are good but they are way down the La Liga table.

The Money Man
10/12/2002, 10:11 PM
No, but it adds to the excitement and the entertainment :)

So do good-time girls but that doesn't mean that they would bring much to the quality of a football league.

The Money Man
10/12/2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
Was that the point Eanna was making. Newcastle's record in the CL is mediocre. Barcelona'a and Real's are good but they are way down the La Liga table.

That's presently true but I don't think that either side have been as effective yet domestically as they have on the bigger stage. This of course isn't highly unusual for either side at this stage of the season. Do any of us expect either Real or Barca to finish in their current league positions?

Badweather Fan
16/12/2002, 12:31 PM
Do any of us expect either Real or Barca to finish in their current league positions?

No we don't.

Why does every forum go off topic?