PDA

View Full Version : Ex LOI players in England 30/1/07

Dodge
30/01/2007, 9:05 PM
Shane Long played 80 mins, scoring in a 3-2 win for Reading. Glen little played the whole game

Daryl Murphy came on after 77 minutes in as coreless Sunderland draw

George O'callaghan came on for Ipswich on 68 minutes. later booked for unsporting behaviour

Stephen ward played last 15 minuutes for Wolves in a 1-0 win

Jon Douglas played the 9- minutes in a 2-1 Leeds win

EnDai
30/01/2007, 9:16 PM
Colin Hawkins played 90 minutes for Coventry in a 1-0 win. Booked in injury time.

Dodge
30/01/2007, 9:53 PM
Colin Hawkins played 90 minutes for Coventry in a 1-0 win. Booked in injury time.

Cheers, knew I forgot somebody

charliesboots
30/01/2007, 9:54 PM
Who did Little play for?

soccerc
30/01/2007, 9:57 PM
Shane Long played 80 mins, scoring in a 3-2 win for Reading. Glen little played the whole game

George O'callaghan came on for Ipswich on 68 minutes. later booked for unsporting behaviour

Surprised at you omitting Stephen Quinn's contribution to Sheffield United's 2-0 win over Fulham

Dodge
30/01/2007, 10:01 PM
Who did Little play for?

Derry. Spent quite a bit of time with Glentoran too

Surprised at you omitting Stephen Quinn's contribution to Sheffield United's 2-0 win over Fulham

Only quick glance at BBC, thought he stayed on bench. His brother played the whole game

Réiteoir
30/01/2007, 10:04 PM
Tony Hopper played 28 minutes for Workington in their 1-0 win against Hucknall Town in Nationwide North

Dave Morrison played 77 minutes for Moor Green in their 1-0 defeat at Gainsbrough Trinity in the same League

lofty9
31/01/2007, 8:04 AM

Still at his old tricks.

BohDiddley
31/01/2007, 9:29 AM
Leeds win :eek:

LFC in Exile
31/01/2007, 9:30 AM
There's an interesting debate to be had here. Does the interest in ex-eL players in English football indicate an inferiority complex among eL supports? Is it a case that we require validation that some players in eL are capable of playing at a higher standard? Doe sit cast a good light on the eL or is it a reflection that the league is muck?:ball:

soccerc
31/01/2007, 9:34 AM
Derry. Spent quite a bit of time with Glentoran too

Only quick glance at BBC, thought he stayed on bench. His brother played the whole game
No he played the full game and was man of the match yet again, it was Alan on the bench.

Sheff Utd Kenny, Geary, Jagielka, Lucketti, Armstrong,Kazim-Richards, Tonge, Montgomery, Stephen Quinn, Hulse, Stead.

Subs Not Used: Bromby, Webber, Alan Quinn, Fathi, Nade

Dodge
31/01/2007, 9:46 AM
There's an interesting debate to be had here. Does the interest in ex-eL players in English football indicate an inferiority complex among eL supports? Is it a case that we require validation that some players in eL are capable of playing at a higher standard? Doe sit cast a good light on the eL or is it a reflection that the league is muck?:ball:

Its not an inferiority complex to say the standard of football in the Premiership and Championship is generally better then our league. Thats just a fact. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

From a personal POV I have far more interest in English leagues when ex Pats players, or ex LOI players are involved. I can't see how this can be viewed negatively? Perhaps you can explain...

Sorry JB, my fault as I got the squad numbers mixed up. Like I said it was a quick glance at the BBC site. I was a little preoccupied last night ;)

pete
31/01/2007, 10:46 AM
There's an interesting debate to be had here. Does the interest in ex-eL players in English football indicate an inferiority complex among eL supports? Is it a case that we require validation that some players in eL are capable of playing at a higher standard?

I think its a bit like European games. eL fans get so much stick about crap league & such that we like to be able to point at a comparison against other european teams or other leagues.

The performances of eL players that left this close season has both confirmed some thoughts & also surprised me in some ways.

SPL - Most of the eL players that moved their breezed into their teams staright out fo close season which confirms belief that most of the SPL teams (not club facilities) is rubbish. The fact most of these were average eL players further enforces the belief.

Championship - While these were generally better eL quality players they have all gone itno first teams or bench straight away out of close season. Surprised Hawkins started last night & Coventry got first clean sheet in 9 games.

Jerry The Saint
31/01/2007, 11:35 AM
Surprised Hawkins started last night & Coventry got first clean sheet in 9 games.

Me too, wonder if the lads kept up training during the break - it will have been a long season for a lot of people by the time May comes around.

wws
31/01/2007, 11:38 AM

there has NEVER been an exodus to the cross channel leagues on this scale over such a short concentrated period of time - therefore this is the first major opportunity for people to really ram home to the non el brigade that the quality of professional footballer over here is quite good (not mega good - but EASILY good enough for the run of the mill postings where these ex LoI players have ended up).

Previously you'd get at least one ignoramus a week on here who'd claim that the LoI is "Conference South" level or some such deluded cráp. One of the ironies is that Hawkins obviously could have given much more value a decade ago....but because of backward attitudes and ignorance he now finds himself playing the Coventry first team when his best footballing years are behind him....

pete
31/01/2007, 12:07 PM
Me too, wonder if the lads kept up training during the break - it will have been a long season for a lot of people by the time May comes around.

Fitness is one thing but majority of these players have played no games at all in months so would be difficult to be match fit.

Not so many years ago I think a lot of eL players would have jumped at SPL or League One opportunity. Now a lot of eL players not so keen on the SPL & holding out for bigger Championship clubs.