PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play as Ireland in Football Manager 2007?

Kivlehan
29/01/2007, 11:26 PM
I'm new to foot.ie, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post something of this nature, but it seemed the best place.

Does anyone else here play as Ireland in Football Manager 2007?

If so, how did you do?

My moment of glory was leading the team to fourth place at the 2014 World Cup (went out in the 2nd round in 2010 and 2018).

If anyone is interested in additional results, I'd be happy to post more.

gustavo
30/01/2007, 10:49 AM
Post a few screenshots of your 2014 team!

republicofwhite
30/01/2007, 7:16 PM
please do by all accounts, I'm still waiting for my shot at the big time despiye some incredible achievements with Luton Town...

Soper
30/01/2007, 7:34 PM
When I play, I only pick domestic players.Works out alright, qualified for a few tournaments.

Kivlehan
30/01/2007, 11:46 PM
I play an attacking 4-4-2 diamond formation.

Ireland has made all World Cups and Euros under my reign.

Record is 83 wins, 29 drawn, 28 lost.

Current World Rank: 15
Highest World Rank: 6 (in 2014)

2018 World Cup Starting XI - out in second round (Italy won)

GK - Sean Masters (Wigan)
RB - Andrew Callaghan (Lazio)
LB - Steve Russell (Man Utd)
DC - Daune Cairns (Milan)
DC - Marc Wilson (Portsmouth)
DM - Ian Parker (Liverpool)
LM - Darron Gibson (Newcastle)
RM - Conor McCormack (Chelsea), captain
AM - Kevin Watson (Real Madrid)
ST - Darren Scott (Chelsea)
ST - Phil King (Tottenham)

2014 World Cup Starting XI - 4th place (Belgium won)

GK - Robert Elliot (Charlton)
RB - Andrew Callaghan (Middlesborough)
LB - Shaun Joseph (Everton)
DC - Ian Parker (Liverpool)
DM - Aiden McGeady (Celtic), captain
LM - Stephen Ireland (Man City)
RM - Conor McCormack (Chelsea)
AM - Kevin Doyle (Blackburn), won golden boot in World Cup
ST - Kevin Watson (Chelsea)

2010 World Cup Starting XI - out in first round (Argentina won)

GK - Shay Given (Newcastle), captain
RB - Joey O'Brien (Bolton)
LB - Patrick McCarthy (Leicester)
DC - Paul McShane (West Brom)
DC - Richard Dunne (Man City)
DM - Darron Gibson (Celtic)
RM - Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
AM - Kevin Doyle (Reading)
ST - Anthony Stokes (Charlton)
ST - Robbie Keane (Tottenham)

Irish Player of the Year:

2017 - Ian Parker (Liverpool)
2016 - Duane Cairns (Tottenham)
2015 - Ian Parker (Liverpool)
2014 - Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
2013 - Darron Gibbon (Celtic)
2012 - Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
2011 - Robbie Keane (Tottenham)
2010 - Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
2009 - Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
2008 - Aiden McGeady (Celtic)
2007 - Richard Dunne (Man City)

Other facts: Robbie Keane and Shay Given are now coaches for Ireland. Kevin Doyle just retired in 2018, an appearance off the bench in the World Cup being his last hurrah.

Roy Keane left Sunderland and became the head coach of Manchester United in June 2008, stayed there until March 2015 when he went to FC Barcelona to become head coach. He left Barcelona to rejoin Manchester United as head coach in December 2016, and he remains in the role.

Robbie Keane finished with 64 goals for Ireland (137 caps). Doyle had 34 (104 caps) and Stokes has 35 (90 caps). Kevin Watson (24 goals / 58 caps) and Darren Scott (27 goals / 41 caps) are off to promising starts in their international careers. Both are 24 years old.

Recent big victory came in a friendly against England at Lansdowne Road. England scored in the 4th minute and Steve Russell got a red card in the 69th minute. We came back down a man to score 2 goals and beat England (ranked 4th in the World). Despite this as well as victories over Argentina and Northern Ireland inside 6 weeks, we dropped from 13th in the World to 15th. Go figure.

I do an annual friendly against Northern Ireland, only missed 2 years do to scheduling mismatches. We only lost once. The last few years, we've been blowing them out.

BohsPartisan
31/01/2007, 7:59 AM
Roy Keane left Sunderland and became the head coach of Manchester United in June 2008,

This was also the case in my current game.

Hitman
31/01/2007, 12:41 PM
When I play, I only pick domestic players.Works out alright, qualified for a few tournaments.

http://i5.tinypic.com/2co3l1v.jpg

Strictly speaking it's from FM2006, but it's typical of the SWAI ignorance John Delaney is heroically trying to eliminate.

Bluebeard
31/01/2007, 5:29 PM
Hitman, you are a true legend - 18 Kilkenny City Players in the national Squad:D :D :D

jebus
31/01/2007, 5:34 PM
I took over from Stan in my game after he failed to lead them to any major tournament. I managed to qualify for the Euro Championships and went on to win the tournament, these were my results,

Ireland 0 Czech Republic 2
Ireland 2 Sweden 0
Ireland 2 Wales 1

Ireland 2 Portugal 0

Ireland 2 Spain 1

Ireland 1 France o

My starting 11 were:

Stack, Finnan, Dunne, Bruce, O'Shea, McGeady, O'Brien, Reid, Duff, Keane and Doyle

Kivlehan
03/02/2007, 11:52 PM
Just played the 2022 World Cup and finished 4th again. Lost to Belgium in the Semi-Final for the second time (same result as 2014). Beat England on penalties in the quarter final to make it that far.

nui-harp
06/02/2007, 1:45 PM
This was also the case in my current game.

Same again with my game, he became Utd's manager for 2-3 years, won everything and is now Real Madrid manager! Ha, imagine Roy speaking spanish!

galwayhoop
12/02/2007, 8:34 PM
GK - Robert Elliot (Charlton)
RB - Andrew Callaghan (Middlesborough)
LB - Shaun Joseph (Everton)
DC - Ian Parker (Liverpool)
DM - Aiden McGeady (Celtic), captain
RM - Conor McCormack (Chelsea)
AM - Kevin Doyle (Blackburn), won golden boot in World Cup
ST - Kevin Watson (Chelsea)
:eek:

that's a classic hitman!!

any results available though??

Hitman
13/02/2007, 1:53 PM
that's a classic hitman!!

any results available though??

Drew 1-1 with Denmark and beat San Marino 4-0. This was after about 16 years with a top class youth academy at Kilkenny though, so the players were pretty good.

nui-harp
01/03/2007, 2:14 PM
I got Ireland up to 4th in the world rankings after winning the European Championships in 2008!! Anyone get them this far up or even up to 1st place?

tetsujin1979
06/03/2007, 9:36 AM
I installed the new 7.0.2 update last week and started a new game with Ireland. Doyle is now an out and out striker, not a forward/AMR, Stokes is a foward/AMR and McGeady is an AMC/AML.
Joe O'Cearuill and Jamie McCarthy are not in the Irish pool.
Went unbeaten in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, was only behind once at home to the Czechs, and ended up drawing.
Doyle is a goal machine, 10 goals in 9 games for me. McShane won player of the tournament at Euro 2008, despite going out in the second round, and Finnan, Doyle, McShane and Given all made team of the tournament.
Gave Ian Daly of Man City his first cap in a friendly against Belarus despite not playing a senior game at Eastlands, and he came on to equalise. One for the future.