PDA

View Full Version : Gothenburg (Paddy's weekend)

paul_oshea
29/01/2007, 3:58 PM
we are looking to head over as its dirt cheap from london. where is cheap to stay? somewhere central enough, and where is good to go out? is there anything in the way of paddys day celebrations over there?

dcfc_1928
29/01/2007, 7:31 PM
When we went over for the UEFA Cup game, we stayed in the Ibis. Its actually a ship docked in the harbour.

Cheap and cheerful and about 10 mins walk from the main city centre action.

Most of the bars, restaurants and clubs are on the Kungsportsavenyn or "Avenyn", beer is quite expensive, but the bars have plenty of happy hours.

Cheapest eats: lunch at the food market in the city centre (Saluhallen). Plenty of places to grab a quick and cheap lunch.

Haga - Student-y area close to Avenyn. Plenty of small cafes, coffee shops etc.

paul_oshea
30/01/2007, 8:55 AM
cheers good man!! thanks for the info!

Paddyfield
30/01/2007, 3:40 PM
I was there in 1998ish to visit friends.

There is a pub on the main street ("Avenue") which is called the Dubliner. When I was there, Rangers were playing IFK and the place was jammed with Huns. They were oblivious to a genuine Paddy being in their company and were soaking up the Guiness like it was going out of fashiion.

Most of the staff were from Oz except for a legend from somewhere in the west of Ireland called Jarlath who turned up the volume and played a few tunes from the Wolfe Tones but the Bluenoses were unperturbed. When I spoke to my Swedish friends in December, they told me that Jarlath is still there.

It was an expensive place back then so I'm sure it hasn't got cheaper since. Nevertheless, there are plenty of ladies who are easy on the eye so you are best advised not to bring an apple to the orchard!
They love Irish people so don't forget to speak loudly when you are ordering a coffee.

Enjoy.

paul_oshea
31/01/2007, 8:51 AM
LOL, thats very good paddyfield particularly the last line, i am in the sh1ts with the missus anyhow as she wanted to bring me to euro disney that wkend for my bday!! so there wont be any apple being brought to the orchard!! lads weekend!!

read about that pub, will head there then so!!

MariborKev
05/02/2007, 7:30 AM
Paul,

The Dubliner was DCFC GHQ during our UEFA Cup stay there. It is only be a fella from Letterkenny and there was a Cork City fan working there when we were there.

Plenty of other places on past the Dubliner, cross the bridge and head towards the Gallery and there are bars on both sides and down the side streets.

We were there for a week and it wasn't cheap, but it was a hell of a week. On and off the pitch!

paul_oshea
06/02/2007, 1:25 PM
maribor did they have sky? i mean bbc. can you watch the six nations there?

MariborKev
10/02/2007, 11:31 AM
Aye

We watched Sky Sports to hear Jim Roddy being interviewed on the bus on the way to airport, as we all went mental in the Dubliner!

Heady days.....

paul_oshea
21/03/2007, 2:15 PM
gothenburg was a sausage fest!! it wasn't as good as i hoped it would be but it was a laugh all the same!!! funny how there was fcuk all women in the dubliner and most women that were there had irish boyfriends, and spoke english with cork/galway accents etc....except this one girl called matilja who had a phone with an IFK goteborg screensaver and background!!! she went on to say it was the love of her life. said she was at both derry games!!!!

holidaysong
27/03/2007, 4:53 PM
I was in Stockholm at the weekend there. Jesus what a place, beautiful city and really friendly people! Had an excellent time. Met a Dundalk FC fan there too. Would recommend Sweden to anyone and to try out an elf burger. Nice.