PDA

View Full Version : Cork star wants move

Aaron
29/01/2007, 11:13 AM
Cork City star Alan Bennett has admitted he is keen to secure a move to Reading.

The Royals have been chasing the 25-year-old stopper for a number of months and had been looking to seal a deal.

However, Cork are not willing to do business with all of Reading's bids shunned to date.

"As far as I'm concerned, any bid under €300,000 for any of my players is insulting," said Cork chairman Brian Lennox.

"And people have been happy enough to insult me and my club. My last meeting with Reading was far from cordial but so be it."

Bennett remains hopeful that Reading can strike deal to secure his services.

"Every player is ambitious, that is why you are in the game and I would be lying if I said I was not ambitious," Bennett told RedFM.

"I am an employee of Cork City and the decision is with them and it is completely their decision."

Bennett admits that the chance to win international honours is another reason behind sealing a move to England.

"You only have to look at Doyle how well he has done, Kevin within three months got into the first team and was involved in the Irish squad," he added.

However, Bennett feels that domestic players need to be given more of a chance on the international stage.

"I think that needs to be addressed, you are telling players in the Eircom league that your not good enough but play in England and then you are seen in a different light," he said.

"More Eircom players should be given the opportunity."

I have highlighted the most important thing he said there. Discuss

BohsFans
29/01/2007, 11:27 AM
Far more interesting to discuss this: http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/xtreme_rebel/brian_irishmirror-1.jpg

:D

Aaron
29/01/2007, 11:30 AM
**** thats some rant. Fair play to him, although i dont think they will particularly give a ****.

paudie
29/01/2007, 12:08 PM
I'd be surprised if Bennett didn't go before the transfer window ends.

when you see the likes of Ashley Young being sold for £8m no wonder Lennox is unhappy with the offer for Bennett.

On the other hand beggars can't be choosers

micls
29/01/2007, 12:41 PM
Apparently its a done deal and hes having a medical today. The figure seems to be £250k with an additiional £50k after 10 first team appearances.

Gutted to see him go but the club did well in the negotiations imo

BrayUnknowns
29/01/2007, 1:05 PM
Hope there's a sell on clause to ? and arranged a friendly as a part of the deal..... Nice bit of business from City if that's the truth. But Reading have made an enquiry about Stoke defender Michael Duberry Reading might not think Bennett's worth that much ?

micls
29/01/2007, 1:45 PM
Hope there's a sell on clause to ? and arranged a friendly as a part of the deal..... Nice bit of business from City if that's the truth. But Reading have made an enquiry about Stoke defender Michael Duberry Reading might not think Bennett's worth that much ?

I presume so..,..no friendly though.

They were looking for Benno before Sonko got injured. Realistically itl take them a month to get him fully match fit so Im not surprised theyre looking for someone else too

Hulsey
29/01/2007, 1:53 PM

As a Leeds fan I can say that Bennett is a much better defender than Duberry who is just plain cack. Maybe Reading need a new mawscot to fall over and amuse the kids cos thats all Duberry would be good for

Jamjar
29/01/2007, 2:03 PM
Apparently its a done deal and hes having a medical today. The figure seems to be £250k with an additiional £50k after 10 first team appearances.

Gutted to see him go but the club did well in the negotiations imo

Done deal indeed according to this:
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1638

micls
29/01/2007, 2:04 PM
Brian Lennox just informed RedFM that no transfer fee has been agreed

pete
29/01/2007, 4:33 PM
"I think that needs to be addressed, you are telling players in the Eircom league that your not good enough but play in England and then you are seen in a different light," he said.

IMO this could be a huge issue. If Staunton picks an ex-eL player based on a few cross channel games then I will give up my ticket application & never attend an Ireland game while he remains manager. I am probably jumping the gun but feel very strongly about. (I would make exception for Jason Byrne as he has been in Ireland squads before).

Our chairman is clearly playing a dangerous game as Bennet is worthless to us in November.

Refreshing to hear comments like that from Alan Bennet eventhough he almost being tapped up by Reading e.g. choice comments by Kevin Doyle recently.

The FAI article is 3 days out of date & is meer speculation which is fine here but IMO out of place on official FAI website.