PDA

View Full Version : Delaney challenges writers’ spin

CavanBohs
29/01/2007, 10:43 AM
Delaney at it again.

From today’s Sunday Times

Delaney challenges writers’ spin

By Paul Rowan

The fallout from the recent Soccer Writers’ Association of Ireland dinner is far greater than the IFA’s unhappiness at calls to national unity by the minister for Foreign Affairs. A row has now broken out over a highly contentious speech delivered by the association’s president, Neil O'Riordan, in which he took the FAI to task over the Shelbourne fiasco and made a light-hearted reference that the situation was enough to drive some officials at the dinner to drink.

Among O’Riordan’s pointed comments were: ‘Last year, your average person was familiar with the name of Sean Hargan not because he scored the winning goal against a club which had twice won the Uefa Cup but because of the league’s failure to properly deal with a suspension which he was due to serve which ultimately could have decided the title race. As it was, it was difficult for anyone to take any satisfaction from Shelbourne being crowned champions.’

O’Riordan was sitting at the top table next to the chief executive, John Delaney, and they didn’t speak to each other afterwards. Delaney has since been spending much of his time – too much, some feel, for somebody being paid €400,000 a year – drafting his reply, which he has sent to all 70-odd members of the Soccer Writers; Association.

“While the FAI is well used to receiving criticism, and fully accepts it when justified, it is still highly unusual to be so publicly berated at an event where three of our officials are sitting at the top table as the guests of honour.

“Reading out the list of players who have exercised their right to move clubs and leagues could have been counter-balanced with the observation that none of the SWAI monthly award winners or the top six nominees for the PFAI’s Player of the Year, or the three nominees for the FAI Eircom League Player of the Year have left the League of Ireland.

“I particularly took grave exception to your specific remarks about the League of Ireland Director Fran Gavin and the Senior International team manager Stephen Staunton.”

There is much of Delaney’s particular style of spin in the remarks. O’Riordan said nothing derogatory about Staunton and the reference to Gavin and alcohol was clearly light-hearted. The chief executive is also making much of the fact that nothing was done to commemorate the death of former FAI official and football writer Brendan McKenna, which was an unfortunate oversight. Delaney has his backers within the Soccer Writers’ Association and a crisis meeting of its members is called for Tuesday could see the heads of O’Riordan and the other officers on a plate.

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 11:25 AM
Typical Delaney bullying.

Something truthful and accurate was said, but because it was negative about him (note - his reasponsibility) he now goes into throwing-weight-around over-drive.

Sooner or later someone will stand up to Delaney and he will find himself in trouble. He is storing-up a lot of enemies for himself here. We had a real chance for that somebody to be the fans, but the NLSA constantly folded like an envelope before FAI pressure and finally dissolved into obscurity.

NY Hoop
29/01/2007, 11:37 AM
Typical Delaney bullying.

Something truthful and accurate was said, but because it was negative about him (note - his reasponsibility) he now goes into throwing-weight-around over-drive.

Sooner or later someone will stand up to Delaney and he will find himself in trouble. He is storing-up a lot of enemies for himself here. We had a real chance for that somebody to be the fans, but the NLSA constantly folded like an envelope before FAI pressure and finally dissolved into obscurity.

If only you knew the truth.

KOH

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 11:48 AM
If only you knew the truth.

KOH

Do share, and then I will.....!

NY Hoop
29/01/2007, 11:54 AM
Do share, and then I will.....!

Quite simply they refuse to listen to the fans. Absolutely nothing to do with pressure. The FAI is not run by football people and until it is all the bleating in the world is in vain.

KOH

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 12:19 PM
Quite simply they refuse to listen to the fans. Absolutely nothing to do with pressure. The FAI is not run by football people and until it is all the bleating in the world is in vain.

KOH

This is not the right thread for this - but the concept behind a representative/pressure group is to represent and apply pressure.

The FAI has more pressure points that a cyber-sex suit ffs ! How can you not identify an appropriate one and then squeeze a little to get what you want........?

NY Hoop
29/01/2007, 12:54 PM
This is not the right thread for this - but the concept behind a representative/pressure group is to represent and apply pressure.

The FAI has more pressure points that a cyber-sex suit ffs ! How can you not identify an appropriate one and then squeeze a little to get what you want........?

Well aware of that but I'm not a pervert:)

KOH

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 1:13 PM
Well aware of that but I'm not a pervert:)

KOH

Well - failing to take advantage of the FAI's numerous weak spots to advance the cause of domestic soccer fans is fairly perverse, if you ask me...

NY Hoop
29/01/2007, 1:15 PM
Well - failing to take advantage of the FAI's numerous weak spots to advance the cause of domestic soccer fans is fairly perverse, if you ask me...

Nobody is.

KOH

khoop
29/01/2007, 2:40 PM
As Pat Scully found out last season, the FAI can't handle the truth and just throw a wobbly when someone talks openly and honestly - instead of actually doing something about their own incompetent organisation.

Delaney earns 400,000 a year??? For what??? For holding press conferences, releasing press statements, going on junkets and talking endless RUBBISH???

Handy money if you can get it.

bigmac
29/01/2007, 2:51 PM
major disappointment - I thought this might be a thread about Delaney castigating the press for their negative spin on a league that is genuinely progressing well. fat chance!

BohDiddley
29/01/2007, 3:00 PM
How can someone this thin-skinned be taken seriously? Has he got nothing better to do?

LukeO
29/01/2007, 3:12 PM
Has he got nothing better to do?

I've been wondering the same thing.

One of the points raised in the said speech was that of club licensing and how it has failed to be implemented properly. The fact that onne club folded mid-way through the season and another went on to win the league but was unable to pay their players is proof that this is a FACT. Maybe if Delaney tried tackling such issues instead of trying to quash anyone who dares to criticise him or his association, he wouldn't receive such criticism in the future.

NY Hoop
29/01/2007, 3:36 PM
I've been wondering the same thing.

One of the points raised in the said speech was that of club licensing and how it has failed to be implemented properly. The fact that onne club folded mid-way through the season and another went on to win the league but was unable to pay their players is proof that this is a FACT. Maybe if Delaney tried tackling such issues instead of trying to quash anyone who dares to criticise him or his association, he wouldn't receive such criticism in the future.

You would think that. But when this was pointed out to them they said that any criticism was "bringing the game into disrepute". The mind boggles. The reason why our manager wont be on TV3's late night parody this season.

KOH

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 3:47 PM
Nobody is.

KOH

A man of very few words on this NY.

Care to enlighten us all then ? Is there really soemone or something taking advantage of the FAI's weak spots to force them to listen to and accept the fan's perspective? That's what you're implying here anyway.

Billy Lord
29/01/2007, 3:49 PM
Surely the idea of an imperfect God is nonsensical?

LukeO
29/01/2007, 10:22 PM
Here's the "contentious" speech in question:

On behalf of the Soccer Writers Association of Ireland, I would like to welcome you all to our Annual Banquet in the Park Inn Dundalk

First of all, I thank you for making the effort to attend our evening. In particular, I would like to welcome the Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern, representatives from UEFA Rene Eberle and Ernest Walker, FAI Chief Executive John Delaney and President David Blood, IFA Chief Executive Howard Wells and President Jim Boyce, PFAI Acting General Secretary Stephen McGuinness, Michael Kennedy and Pádraig Corkery from eircom and our guest speaker Ronnie Whelan. I would like to welcome a friend from across the water, Chris Davies, who has covered more Ireland games than many of us.

I would also like to thank our sponsors. We have had a strong and enduring relationship with eircom whom have given us unstinting support - both financial and otherwise - for a number of years. Without them, this night would not be possible. I would also like to thank Carlsberg for sponsoring our drinks reception. I thank Owen Cowzer for organising the night as I know what a time-consuming task it can be and our Master of Ceremonies John Kenny.

This is only the second time that the event has been held outside Dublin. Having been in Cork two years ago, it was only right that we chose somewhere north of the capital this time around. We are also glad that its location has enabled many of our northern friends to attend. For the first time, we have invited managers, captains and officials of the Irish League clubs participating in the Setanta Sports Cup to this event and I am delighted to see representatives from Linfield and Glentoran here. I think anyone who wishes to see the game to progress on this island will acknowledge the importance of closer cross-border co-operation.

In another way, Dundalk was an obvious choice given the town’s rich soccer tradition. While they may not have won the right to be in the new-look Premier Division next season, they remain the most successful provincial club in Ireland. Furthermore, our current national team manager hails from here of course. It’s a pity he cannot be with us tonight but, on his 38th birthday, I would like to wish him many happy returns.

It is fair to say that 2006 has been a steep learning curve for Steve Staunton. He has experienced the high of a thrilling 3-0 win over Sweden in his first game in charge an the low of a 5-2 defeat in Cyprus. I am sure everyone in this room will hope there are better times ahead in 2007. While he may not believe it, the members of our association want a successful international team just as much as he does. Believe me, our lives are a lot easier when we are writing about success rather than failure.

But, much like players, club football is our bread and butter and perhaps of more importance than a successful international team is a vibrant league. 2006 saw the merger of the eircom League and the FAI and it is to be hoped that this will be the catalyst for the further development of domestic football. Let there be no mistake that the League is at a crossroads. Last year, your average person was familiar with the name Sean Hargan not because he scored the winning goal against a club which had twice won the UEFA Cup but because of the league’s failure to properly deal with a suspension which he was due to serve which ultimately could have decided the title race. As it was, it was difficult for anyone to take any great satisfaction from Shelbourne being crowned champions.

The licensing system and the new-look League are part of a drive for better standards off the pitch. While undoubtedly well-intentioned, their credibility has been somewhat undermined by the fact that one licensed club went out of business mid-season while another went on to win the league title but was unable to pay its players. To the players and backroom staff at Shels, I extend my congratulations – as I do to the other winners of silverware Drogheda United, Derry City and Shamrock Rovers – for their success in extremely trying circumstances. But that a club can be crowned champions when they cannot fulfil the basic requirement of paying their employees is deeply worrying. Shels, of course, have not been the only offenders in this regard but the extent of the problems at Tolka Park was simply shocking.

The instability of clubs goes some way to help explain why David Forde, Danny Murphy, George O’Callaghan, Stephen Ward, Pat Kavanagh, Paul Keegan, Trevor Molloy, Sean Dillon, Bobby Ryan and Jason Byrne - not to mention manager Stephen Kenny - all chose to leave these shores to ply their trade abroad. It has yet to be proven that full-time football is sustainable in this country. In fact, an objective assessment at this juncture would probably conclude that it is not. That is not to say that we should not have the ambition to have a fully professional league in this country but it is imperative that we proceed with caution and prudence because, as has been painfully experienced by players at Shelbourne, livelihoods are at stake.

A wage cap of 65 per cent of a club’s turnover, once it is properly enforced, is to be welcomed. It may well result in more players may opting for the route chosen by those I just mentioned. If that happens so be it. Better that they leave for higher wages than because they are not being paid at all.

But I would like to end on an upbeat note before the eircom League’s new Director Fran Gavin hits the bottle, wondering what he has let himself in for. It’s not all doom and gloom. For the first time ever, all of our teams which competed in Europe progressed through at least one round in. Our ranking is now 35th in Europe. That not might sound very good but it is the highest yet. And, when you look at the winners, the nominees for our two awards tonight and indeed around the room, you realise that there are both managers and players of real talent operating within our League who, if nurtured in the correct manager, can achieve great things. To you and to all of our guests, I raise a toast and hope that you enjoy the night.

OneRedArmy
30/01/2007, 4:54 AM
A fairly balanced & factual account.

Delaney`s pathetic "shoot the messenger" approach is a sign of someone who is way out of his depth, something he has in common with most of the rest of the shower in Merrion Square.

Rather than wasting his (& by extension, our) time through vain attempts to claim papal infallibility, he`d be better off putting his effort into addressing some of the points raised.

I`d suggest starting with a proper enforcement of Licensing & the consequent relegation & ejection from Europe of Shels.

Less words more action (more in hope than expectation).

Hecko
30/01/2007, 8:51 AM
It is fair to say that 2006 has been a steep learning curve for Steve Staunton. He has experienced the high of a thrilling 3-0 win over Sweden in his first game in charge an the low of a 5-2 defeat in Cyprus. I am sure everyone in this room will hope there are better times ahead in 2007. While he may not believe it, the members of our association want a successful international team just as much as he does. Believe me, our lives are a lot easier when we are writing about success rather than failure.

This is Delaney's idea of harsh comments about Staunton

The chance of a progressive football person or any half competent person running the FAI are nil. This is the organisation of Kilcoyne and Phil the Greek

NY Hoop
30/01/2007, 10:00 AM
While I dont have a lot time for O'Riordan (a self confessed liverpool "supporter":rolleyes: ) what is wrong with that speech?

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her".

KOH

Jerry The Saint
30/01/2007, 10:02 AM
But I would like to end on an upbeat note before the eircom League’s new Director Fran Gavin hits the bottle, wondering what he has let himself in for. It’s not all doom and gloom.

Delaney also took grave exception to the above comment about Fran Gavin. :rolleyes:

You might say that the leader of the player's union who took no action while the top club couldn't pay wages and was rewarded by being put in charge of league administration got off lightly....

Dodge
30/01/2007, 10:05 AM
Typical delaney bull****. The league's champions are crumbling, clubs struggling everywhere, grounds at risk in Dublin and elsewhere, no club in Limerick and the thing he chooses to comment on is a tabloid journo's speech.

I hope the SWAI boycott all FAI functions until he apologises

MyTown
30/01/2007, 10:18 AM
Mind you the SIndo published an apology to JD pointing out where they got their facts wrong ( very unusual for them):rolleyes: and where they had drawn unfair and unreasonable conclusions.

No more than anyone else, he has a right to defend his good name and obviously they didn't fancy facing him in court on this one.

Its no harm for the SWAI to be reminded that there is no excuse for poor research and laziness. How many "stories" have been written on the basis of a few open excahnges on this forum?

Schumi
30/01/2007, 10:44 AM
Mind you the SIndo published an apology to JD pointing out where they got their facts wrong ( very unusual for them):rolleyes: and where they had drawn unfair and unreasonable conclusions.
What were the wrong facts and conclusions?

WeAreRovers
30/01/2007, 10:49 AM

Its no harm for the SWAI to be reminded that there is no excuse for poor research and laziness. How many "stories" have been written on the basis of a few open excahnges on this forum?

And where exactly is the poor research and laziness in the speech? I'm glad it's been posted here so people can see exactly how petty and control-freakery Delaney actually is. I read it last week and couldn't believe Delaney's over reaction. Talk about re-arranging the deckchairs.

KOH

LukeO
30/01/2007, 11:26 AM
While I dont have a lot time for O'Riordan (a self confessed liverpool "supporter":rolleyes: ) what is wrong with that speech?

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her".

KOH

Ehhh... I'd love to know where you got your info from. Neil is not, and never has been, a Liverpool fan.

The LoI has always come first for him and its not a secret who he supports here... but ManUre are his Premiership team of choice.

I don't have much time for him either, absolute tosser... ;) ;)

And where exactly is the poor research and laziness in the speech? I'm glad it's been posted here so people can see exactly how petty and control-freakery Delaney actually is. I read it last week and couldn't believe Delaney's over reaction. Talk about re-arranging the deckchairs.

KOH

There is none, judging from MyTown's post he's launched into a response without even reading the speech.

NY Hoop
30/01/2007, 11:34 AM
Ehhh... I'd love to know where you got your info from. Neil is not, and never has been, a Liverpool fan.

The LoI has always come first for him and its not a secret who he supports here... but ManUre are his Premiership team of choice.

Could have sworn I read an article he wrote about his love of liverpool. Anyway manure/liverfluke whats the difference? If you dont "follow" one it has to be the other!!

KOH

charliesboots
30/01/2007, 11:35 AM

Statto Junior I presume....I remember the days when NO'R used to follow Robert Reid around until RR eventually let him start covering games.

No doubt that he's a LOI supporter first.

MyTown
30/01/2007, 11:50 AM
There is none, judging from MyTown's post he's launched into a response without even reading the speech.

2 separate issues lads. Firstly, I accept that the head honchos are all a bit precious when it comes to taking constructive critcicism on the chin and learning from it. They wouldn't be unique in that regard.;)

Secondly, the Sunday Indepenendent was obviously fearful enough of losing a libel action over whatever they wrote about the CEO of the FAI to print a pretty grovelling apology last Sunday. In other words, their legal advice was that they had their facts wrong and they had potentially defamed Delaney. This, to me, is evidence of poor research & laziness. So, I didn't launch into anything - the speech was fine, the Indo was not - but obviously some soccer writers in Sir Anthony O'Reillys Parish did.

Dodge
30/01/2007, 11:58 AM
Secondly, the Sunday Indepenendent was obviously fearful enough of losing a libel action over whatever they wrote about the CEO of the FAI to print a pretty grovelling apology last Sunday. In other words, their legal advice was that they had their facts wrong and they had potentially defamed Delaney. This, to me, is evidence of poor research & laziness. So, I didn't launch into anything - the speech was fine, the Indo was not - but obviously some soccer writers in Sir Anthony O'Reillys Parish did.

Thats an awful big assumption you're making. Don't forget that the FAI's press officer is former Indo head football writer Gerry McDermott. The FAI could've used loads of other ways to get them to apologise witout mentioning legal action...

LukeO
30/01/2007, 1:26 PM
Could have sworn I read an article he wrote about his love of liverpool. Anyway manure/liverfluke whats the difference? If you dont "follow" one it has to be the other!!

KOH

That was probably the piece he did when Liverpool where in the Champions League final a couple of years ago when he was talking about Irish links to Liverpool, certainly not about his love for them! etc.

In fairness, he is a ManUre fan second, in the same way that I'd be a Bohs fan first and a... erm... Man City fan :o second.

Statto Junior I presume....

Possibly. ;)

I remember the days when NO'R used to follow Robert Reid around until RR eventually let him start covering games.

:D Interesting version of events.

BohDiddley
31/01/2007, 9:49 AM
the Sunday Indepenendent was obviously fearful enough of losing a libel action over whatever they wrote about the CEO of the FAI to print a pretty grovelling apology last Sunday. In other words, their legal advice was that they had their facts wrong and they had potentially defamed Delaney. This, to me, is evidence of poor research & laziness.
Newspapers are forced by defamation law, which is due for reform, to print grovelling apologies all of the time. So much so that they are about as meaningful as the weather report. I thought everyone knew that.

MyTown
31/01/2007, 1:33 PM
Dodge:
Independent Newspapers is in a virtual monopoly situation in this country, owning or part-owning most so called "national" titles as well as a whole slew of regional titles. They don't print climb-downs at the drop of a hat. Gerry McDermott was a dedicated hack following the fortunes of the EL for quite a while, but to suggest he would influence the SIndo into printing an apology they didn't feel legally obliged to print is naieve IMO.

BohDiddley:
How long have you been holding your breath for reform of the libel laws? Libel reform appears on the radar only when a high profile case hits the courts. There's no real political will to tackle it. A General Election is coming up in a couple of months. Libel reform is unlikely to make it onto any discussion forum.

I thouhgt everybody knew that.

How long have you been

WeAreRovers
31/01/2007, 2:40 PM
Dodge:
Independent Newspapers is in a virtual monopoly situation in this country, owning or part-owning most so called "national" titles as well as a whole slew of regional titles. They don't print climb-downs at the drop of a hat. Gerry McDermott was a dedicated hack following the fortunes of the EL for quite a while, but to suggest he would influence the SIndo into printing an apology they didn't feel legally obliged to print is naieve IMO.

BohDiddley:
How long have you been holding your breath for reform of the libel laws? Libel reform appears on the radar only when a high profile case hits the courts. There's no real political will to tackle it. A General Election is coming up in a couple of months. Libel reform is unlikely to make it onto any discussion forum.

I thouhgt everybody knew that.

How long have you been

1) You obviously don't know the circumstances of McDermott's exit from Talbot Towers - and why would you? - but Dodge is fairly near the mark from what I know.

2) A new Defamation Bill and a Press Council are both imminent.

KOH

MyTown
31/01/2007, 3:03 PM
1) You obviously don't know the circumstances of McDermott's exit from Talbot Towers - and why would you? - but Dodge is fairly near the mark from what I know.

2) A new Defamation Bill and a Press Council are both imminent.

KOH

Well fair enough - excuse my ignorance of the G.McD exit story. It's one of the disadvantages of living on the edge of the Atlantic.

The dictionary defines "imminent" as "About to occur", so per your authority on these matters, can I expect a Press Council & Defamation Bill, next week, next Dail Session, post General Election, post Ireland's next qualification for a major soccer tournament?????????????

I started on this thread because the CEO of the FAI has inherited the mantle of fair game for any kind of abuse, it goes with the territory and is often very justified. But I don't think he should be denied a right to defend himself, and it seems to me, on reflection, the SIndo reckoned he had a point.

I saw this as a victory of sorts for him & an admission on their part that they were wrong. Both occurences are as rare as they are welcome.

monutdfc
31/01/2007, 3:40 PM
McDowell had quite good reforms of Irish libel-law lined up, but as usual he bowed to FF back-bencher pressure and there's a watered-down bill in the pipeline.
Surely what happened this week with Shels totally vindicates O'Riordan's criticism of the licensing process and the instability of clubs in the league (not that the Dublin City collapse didn't do so already).

WeAreRovers
31/01/2007, 3:40 PM
Defamation Bill has been passed AFAIK and the Press Council has already been set up and staffed, it's just not operational yet. That's fairly imminent I would have thought.

As for McDermott, Dublin is a small media and football city and news travels fast. I think even Phoenix had a story about it.

KOH

gufct
31/01/2007, 3:51 PM
What the Independent had to apologise for was an absolute joke and just shows how out of touch with reality and Childish "The Man from Del Monte" is.

There was a small piece in Sean Ryans Column the week before about the FAI's New Quarterly News and how Delaney must be very busy as he was in 8 Photographs and he threatens to sue them over that. All we are missing is the Moustache and Swastikas.

LukeO
02/02/2007, 2:44 PM
Sorry to haul this thread back up to the top of the pile again, but I just thought I'd point out the exact content of Sean Ryan's piece in the Sindo that offended Delaney et al so much that they threatened legal action. :rolleyes:

DELANEYPHILE
FOR Chief Executive John Delaney, the new edition of FAI News, the newsletter the FAI publish every now and again, must have been a tiresome task.

In its eight pages, there are no less than nine pictures of the bould John. The cult of Stalin, Ceausescu and some North Korean despot come to mind.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1760235&issue_id=15151

As was pointed out to me, it's the families of Stalin and Ceausescu that should be threatening legal action against the Sindo as surely being compared to the FAI despot Delaney has severely tarnished their reputations.

Shame on the Sindo for publishing an apology.

Jerry The Saint
02/02/2007, 2:46 PM
Sorry to haul this thread back up to the top of the pile again, but I just thought I'd point out the exact content of Sean Ryan's piece in the Sindo that offended Delaney et al so much that they threatened legal action. :rolleyes:

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1760235&issue_id=15151

As was pointed out to me, it's the families of Stalin and Ceausescu that should be threatening legal action against the Sindo as surely being compared to the FAI despot Delaney has severely tarnished their reputations.

Shame on the Sindo for publishing an apology.

Poor old John Delaney - he's so ronery.:(

LukeO
08/02/2007, 7:53 PM
More on this in the current issue of Phoenix, out today. See here. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/LukeO/phoenixmag.jpg)

I left the article on the other side in, seeing as it's about our old friend, Mick "ROVERS ULTRAS ARE NAZIS" McCaffrey. :D

Tis-smeee
10/02/2007, 6:02 PM
He is also sueing our local radio station wlrfm for something that was said or the way it was said to him immediately following the iag results keeps the lawyers busy dont he