PDA

View Full Version : Leader on the pitch

SSS
03/12/2002, 7:50 PM
When City are struggling away from home, what is needed is a leader on the pitch..do we really have one now??
Not saying there isn't dedication and spirit, but you still need someone "in charge" in the 11.
Is this what's missing since Naps got injured?

( Does LM actually believe that DD gives this leadership and is therefore worth his place!?!?!)

dalo
04/12/2002, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by SSS
When City are struggling away from home, what is needed is a leader on the pitch..do we really have one now??
Not saying there isn't dedication and spirit, but you still need someone "in charge" in the 11.
Is this what's missing since Naps got injured?

( Does LM actually believe that DD gives this leadership and is therefore worth his place!?!?!)

this worries me. reynolds has been playing very poorly away from him (the guy isn't a creative player) while woods and george are hiding as per usual. i was hoping o'grady would continue form last season but injuries have prevented this.

i think myself greg should be appointed captain. the guy can be a firebrand but he is a tremedous player (a sort of roy keane at full back if you like). i would also look to daniel murray.

what has disspointed me in away games is john o'flynn recent form. he is by far and away the most exciting city player I have seen since ollie came on the sence but he seems to carrying a niggly ankle injury which is certainly impending his direct running game.

Gone Away
04/12/2002, 10:49 AM
Daly was a great captain, and he was a great player. He is probably not a great captain anymore because he aint a great player, if you see what i mean! The fact that the other players were allegedly by passing him in UCD shows that they dont have much mass in him anymore.

Id say Greg should be appointed captain asap. He is young and his appointment would be a good long term move. His form this season has been outstanding, in pretty much every position he plays. He has a mouth on him and he will give and take criticism. He will never say die either at home OR away.

Having said that Napier was a great skipper as well, and Grady would be worth a mention as would Mick Devine. However looking at the long term, I feel Greg is the man for the job.

niamh
04/12/2002, 3:22 PM
The answer to the question is no - not really. The only one I see constantly ****ed off when things go wrong is George, but he ain't no team leader.

Shed End John
05/12/2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by dalo
i think myself greg should be appointed captain. the guy can be a firebrand but he is a tremedous player (a sort of roy keane at full back if you like). i would also look to daniel murray.

One problem with these two, both are mainly quiet blokes. A guy who'll open his mouth on the pitch, and not be afraid to do it, is a prerequisite for club captain.

Murphy Out Now!!!

Éanna
05/12/2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Shed End John
One problem with these two, both are mainly quiet blokes I dunno about Murray, but quiet is one of the last things I´d call greg! :D

Shed End John
05/12/2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
I dunno about Murray, but quiet is one of the last things I´d call greg! :D

I meant that on the pitch Greg is a bit too quiet, communication wise. Murray has been in PJ's after a few of the games and he is EXTREMELY quiet by nature. So no future club captains here then, barring some assertiveness training!:D

Murphy Out Now!!!

Colm
05/12/2002, 3:41 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
I meant that on the pitch Greg is a bit too quietI think that Greg is one of our least quiet players. Both ON and off the pitch.

dalo
05/12/2002, 3:56 PM
Originally posted by COLM
I think that Greg is one of our least quiet players. Both ON and off the pitch.

well the way he was efffing after the shels match was hardly the mark of a shy retiring poetic type:D

no I'd fancy greg as a captain. not too sure about napier he is prone to the odd ****up.

greg for captain. my other choice would be conor but his form and fitness is gone to the dogs.

Colm
05/12/2002, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by dalo
well the way he was efffing after the shels match was hardly the mark of a shy retiring poetic type:D
lol:D

You're right though, out of our current squad of players he would be the ideal captain as he is not afraid to get stuck in and encourage the players around him.
However, I'd say that he is probably the last person Gunther would choose as captain.

patsh
05/12/2002, 5:38 PM
I would have thought Reynolds would be the obvious choice.
I think he is the strongest character on the field, who is not reticent when it comes to throwing a few f*cks into someone. Daly didn't half feel the lash of his tongue last Friday.