PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Major League Baseball Season

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kivlehan
29/01/2007, 4:59 AM
Any baseball fans here? I'm a Yankee fan. The original New York Yankees that is, not the ones up in Boston who call themselves the Red Sox and pretend they aren't as much of a big spending baseball empire as we are.

Real ale Madrid
29/01/2007, 8:28 AM
:D

I'm a red sox fan! bit early to start off that sort of talk is it not?

Aberdonian Stu
29/01/2007, 10:41 AM
I'm a Red Sox fan and it is way to early to start talking baseball.

SaucyJack
29/01/2007, 12:32 PM
NY Mets fan here.

Soko
29/01/2007, 3:41 PM
Never too early

If the Sox get Helton then they have an excellent lineup and one that will eat pitchers alive. If Matzusaka is anywhere near as good as advertised, Schilling has one more in the tank and Beckett can adjust to the AL, I rate them to win the AL East

Kivlehan
29/01/2007, 10:23 PM
Never too early

If the Sox get Helton then they have an excellent lineup and one that will eat pitchers alive. If Matzusaka is anywhere near as good as advertised, Schilling has one more in the tank and Beckett can adjust to the AL, I rate them to win the AL East

I would agree that the Sox would look better on paper than the Yankees if they get Helton. However, this was also true many years in the last 11 and only once did it really amount to anything. :)

The payrolls are now amazingly close and virtually the same if you factor in the Matsuzaka/Igawa posting payments, so it will be interesting to see who used their resources better.

Ironically, I think it will come down to how the young players -- the ones not driving up the $150 million payrolls -- perform. I think guys like Phil Hughes, Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia, Jon Papelbon, JB Cox, Melky Cabrera, Manny Delcarmen, Craig Hansen, Jacoby Ellsbury, etc will be the difference makers in the race.

BohsPartisan
05/02/2007, 3:22 PM
I like the baseball. Followed the Redsox during my time in the states as we had a poor choice of TV channels in our house so it was one of the few things worth watching.
Was also at a game in the Skydome between Toronto and Tampa Bay so I have a soft spot for the Jays.

lofty9
08/02/2007, 3:07 PM
Red Sox as well. Ive been to Fenway about a dozen times.

If Papelbom can get over his shoulder problems and prove a success as a starter rather than a closer then things could look up for Beantown. It also looks like Manny is staying, so if he can get that chip of his shoulder and play to his max potential then it could be a better year than last.

Lets not forget Big Papi!!

carrickharp
12/02/2007, 3:01 PM
Heading yet again to the States this summer (Staying in Boston for a few days first) for the oul holidays hoping to get to Fenway for a match hopefully the game against the White Sox which is on the weekend we land there, great old ground only at one game there back in 1999 can’t really remember much about the match!!

Kivlehan
13/02/2007, 12:57 AM
Heading yet again to the States this summer (Staying in Boston for a few days first) for the oul holidays hoping to get to Fenway for a match hopefully the game against the White Sox which is on the weekend we land there, great old ground only at one game there back in 1999 can’t really remember much about the match!!

If you can get to a Red Sox - Yankees game, I recommend it highly. :)

Bluebeard
19/02/2007, 9:20 AM
Seattle Mariners fan myself. Hoping that this season will be a big improvement on last year.

OneRedArmy
19/02/2007, 12:27 PM
Seattle Mariners fan myself. Hoping that this season will be a big improvement on last year.We all carry our crosses!!

I follow a few teams, Braves in the NL and A's in the AL and also keep and interest in the Diamondbacks as I spend a fair bit of time in Arizona.

Very keen to see a Sox v Yankees game in Fenway but have been put off by the availability of tickets and the ridiculous prices charged by agencies and scalpers.

Don't suppose anyone on here has any contacts?

Soko
19/02/2007, 3:12 PM
I know quite a lot of people with Fenway season tickets but you can never get Yankee tickets off them. They're too important for clients etc... and you usually end up with Kansas City tickets. Not like I cared too much anway

gnasher
28/02/2007, 10:10 PM
Minnesota Twins fan meself

Was marooned in Minneapolis a few years back so got into it. They were a good team back then - they had Milton and Guardado - but they always choked either in the playoffs or the AL championship game (usually to the Yankees).

I hope they have a better season this year.

SaucyJack
01/03/2007, 12:36 PM
Anyone see this story.... he's richer than them all..

Unknown Dodgers pitcher from Mass. could be rock star
By Associated Press
Thursday, March 1, 2007 - Updated: 07:11 AM EST

VERO BEACH, Fla. - Matt White, a journeyman pitcher trying to make the Los Angeles Dodgers, could become baseball’s first billionaire player.

It has nothing to do with the Windsor, native’s arm. He owns a rock quarry in Cummington.

White, who has appeared in seven big league games in nine professional seasons, paid $50,000 three years ago to buy 50 acres of land from an elderly aunt who needed the money to pay for a nursing home.

While clearing out a couple acres to build a home, he discovered stone ledges in the ground, prompting him to have the property surveyed.

A geologist estimated there were 24 million tons of the stone on his land. The stone is being sold for upward of $100 per ton, meaning there’s well over $2 billion worth of material used for sidewalks, patios and the like.

Of course, that doesn’t factor in the expenses involved in processing the stone and transporting it for sale.

”It sounds bogus even saying those numbers,” White said. ”I’m just a small town guy trying to get to the big leagues. It’s beyond comprehension.”

The news has prompted some of White’s teammates to refer to him as ”The Billionaire,” but the 29-year-old left-hander isn’t counting his money just yet.

”There are a lot of questions,” he said. ”It takes time, it takes money, it takes machines. There are professionals who handle that stuff.”

White’s father has been involved in selling the stone, but it’s presently a small-time operation.

”I guess you could say the property is for sale,” White said with a chuckle. ”We’ll have to see how things turn out. I don’t even know where to start. I’m in the process now of getting in touch with business-savvy guys, finding out how much to ask.”

White said he doesn’t feel like he’s wealthy, which he isn’t quite yet.

”Not at all. I don’t live like a rich man,” he said. ”I’m a minor league guy who’s played winter ball to make ends meet.”

Dr. Peter Pannish, an adjunct professor in the department of geosciences at the University of Massachusetts, surveyed the property several months ago. He said he believes the stone was formed about 400 million years ago.

”It’s basically a slabby rock that can be used for sidewalks, building faces and stone walls,” Pannish said from his Amherst, office. ”You can use it for a lot of other things, like flagstone on a patio. There are some sidewalks right here on campus that are made of that same rock.”

Pannish said he believes White could sell his property for several million dollars, or more.

”As far as hundreds of millions, I doubt if that’s possible because of all the expenses that would have to be considered,” Pannish said. ”But it could be quite a bit of money. He probably needs a mining engineer or an economic geologist to come up with a good evaluation.” [continue]
1 | 2 | Next »

Rate this article1

d rovers
01/03/2007, 4:10 PM
i follow the orioles - they aren't very good but hopefully this season will mark a turnaround in their fortunes. i have family in baltimore & was over at a game a couple of years ago (vs red sox). beautiful stadium, shame about the team!

Kivlehan
06/03/2007, 12:53 AM
i follow the orioles - they aren't very good but hopefully this season will mark a turnaround in their fortunes. i have family in baltimore & was over at a game a couple of years ago (vs red sox). beautiful stadium, shame about the team!

Stadium's wonderful but their owner is a complete fool. The Orioles won't be right until he sells it off. The good news for them is that Cal Ripken Jr is interested in buying them and he'll respect the team too much to let any of this garbage continue. But until Peter Angelos sells, the Yankees and Red Sox don't have to worry much about the Orioles.

Kivlehan
06/03/2007, 12:55 AM
Minnesota Twins fan meself

Was marooned in Minneapolis a few years back so got into it. They were a good team back then - they had Milton and Guardado - but they always choked either in the playoffs or the AL championship game (usually to the Yankees).

I hope they have a better season this year.

The outlook for the Twins is pretty good. The have some nice young players and one of the best General Managers in the game who is constantly supplying them with good young talent. Between Johan Santana, Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau they have the core of an excellent team. The only downside for them is that they play in a tough division and will have to fight it out against the White Sox, Tigers and Indians. If they were in the AL West or the National League, they'd probably be a lock for the playoffs.

Kivlehan
06/03/2007, 12:59 AM
Seattle Mariners fan myself. Hoping that this season will be a big improvement on last year.

Probably not until Bill Bavasi is out as GM. He made a terrible trade this offseason to get an over the hill Jose Vidro for two of the M's best prospects. He's widely regarded as the worst GM in the game and it appears that Ichiro may even leave town after this season. I doubt Seattle's Japanese owner will allow that to happen, but it just may. I do think moving Ichiro to CF is an excellent move though. On another positive note, Felix Hernandez will be fun to watch. Hopefully he will stay healthy and show the dominance he had in the minors. When a pitcher makes it to the majors under the age of 20, he is a special, special talent.

TheBoss
22/03/2007, 5:30 PM
Well, who is going to win it, starts in a few days time

DmanDmythDledge
22/03/2007, 9:29 PM
I fancy the Red Sox to win it. They missed Ortiz and Varitek when they were out injured last year. Also with the improved rotation their pitching will be more formidable than last year. Their only concern would be their middle infield IMO. Pedroia looks a good prospect but didn't impress last year when he got a chance. Lugo is a good experienced player but it will be remain to be seen will his defence be anywhere near as good as Gonzalez's, which was a key part of Red Sox's good form for most of last year.

DvB
23/03/2007, 1:56 PM
White Sox fan myself, can't see them turning around last years post world series slump though having lost a couple of players. A crack at the divisional pennant isnt out of the question though if they have a decent start!!

Koh

Soko
24/03/2007, 3:54 AM
Pedroia, ugh. He looks awful to be honest, I hate his swing and he's a downgradge from Loretta even if Loretta was getting on. Ortiz was there for the majority of the season, he wasn't the problem. Papelbon moves back to closer and that'll be interesting come September

TheBoss
02/04/2007, 11:21 PM
GAME 1 Results:

Sun - NL
Mets 6-1 Cardinals

Mon - AL
Devil Rays 5-9 Yankees
Blue Jays 5-3 Tigers
Indians 12-5 White Sox
Red Sox 1-7 Royals

Mon - NL
Braves 5-1 Phillies
Marlins 9-2 Nationals
Dodgers 1-7 Brewers
Cubs 1-5 Reds

Aberdonian Stu
02/04/2007, 11:46 PM
Why the hell to the Red Sox always lose Kansas City, the worst team in the AL, formerly the worst team in baseball ("congratulations" Washington)?

NY Hoop
03/04/2007, 10:58 AM
If you can get to a Red Sox - Yankees game, I recommend it highly. :)

At one at Yankee Stadium in 2002. Free tickets through work with the Sox winning. Not as much abuse as I would have thought. Yankee fans sang 1918 throughout with one guy behind us chucked out for continually shouting "Boston sucks"!

Was also there the night OJ went for a drive! Naturally there was hardly any mention of the game after.

Shea is a bit of a dump so was glad they are moving.

Been to Fenway a few times. Not a big fan of the city but the area its in is very accessible. Ground is old school but classy.

Bluejays Stadium is incredible.

As a stadium buff looking forward to seeing Wrigley Field and Camden Yards.

KOH

CollegeTillIDie
08/04/2007, 7:11 AM
Once the Expos left Montreal for some place down south(and changed the name of the franchise entirely) I lost all interest in the sport. Was once at a game in Jarry Park. Expos crashed 4-1 to the Cardinals it was the beginning of the 1971 season.

Which is why the European concept of non-franchise sport is best!

Bluebeard
19/04/2007, 9:15 AM
Mariners lost the last two against Minnesota Twins who appear to be doing quite well. The Mariners aren't doing as badly as I thought they might. The Braves, and the Dodgers also seem to be doing well

Granted it is early yet.

TheBoss
19/04/2007, 10:55 AM
Generally after a month of games, the tables usually have a trend in them.

ollie
19/04/2007, 8:10 PM
Hoping to make it to a few Red Sox games while i'm here in Boston til September.they're like gold dust especially the weekend games.

DmanDmythDledge
19/04/2007, 8:46 PM
Hoping to make it to a few Red Sox games while i'm here in Boston til September.they're like gold dust especially the weekend games.
Try AceTicket (http://www.aceticket.com/mlb-tickets/boston-red-sox-tickets/) if your willing to pay more than face value.

carrickharp
20/04/2007, 10:08 AM

Going to Boston for a few days in July so hoping to get tickets for one of the White Sox games, fingers crossed!

Cheers for the link above for tickets I will use it as a last resort if my connections over there can't get me tickets!

Soko
22/04/2007, 10:35 PM
You'll get Sox tickets outside the ground no problems, prob won't have to pay face value either

ollie
23/04/2007, 1:42 PM
You'll get Sox tickets outside the ground no problems, prob won't have to pay face value either

cheers for that. The red sox had a good weekend of it there.And the 4 home runs in a row last night were unreal.1st time in over 40 years it was done and only the 2nd time ever i think in Major League.

Soko
24/04/2007, 12:00 AM
Dodgers did it last year in a crazy game in one of the final innings, before that was 40 years or so.

Bluebeard
18/07/2007, 2:04 PM
Current state of play sees the Redsox, Detroit, and the Angels topping the American Leagues chased by the Yankees (-8), Cleveland (-1) and Seattle (-2.5):), while in the National, it's the Mets, Milwaukee and the Dodgers, with Atlanta (-2.5), the Cubs (-4.5), and San Diego (-1) playing catch up.

Barry Bonds is sadly now only 4 off the Hank Aaron record of 755 career home runs:(.

Soko
18/07/2007, 6:48 PM
Pedroia, ugh. He looks awful to be honest, I hate his swing and he's a downgradge from Loretta even if Loretta was getting on. Ortiz was there for the majority of the season, he wasn't the problem. Papelbon moves back to closer and that'll be interesting come September

Rookie of the Year :o

DmanDmythDledge
19/07/2007, 6:16 PM
Why the hell to the Red Sox always lose Kansas City, the worst team in the AL, formerly the worst team in baseball ("congratulations" Washington)?
And now they go off and lose a series to them.:rolleyes: Tavarez is awful, worst starting pitcher for the Red Sox that I can remember for the past few years. The bullpen nearly saved him last night only giving up 1 walk over 5 innings but the damage was done.

Current state of play sees the Redsox, Detroit, and the Angels topping the American Leagues chased by the Yankees (-8), Cleveland (-1) and Seattle (-2.5):), while in the National, it's the Mets, Milwaukee and the Dodgers, with Atlanta (-2.5), the Cubs (-4.5), and San Diego (-1) playing catch up.
I can see that staying the same apart from the Cubs and SD overtaking Brewers and Dodgers. Yankees will give Red Sox a scare as well.

Red Sox to win World Series because of having the best rotation.

Soko
20/07/2007, 11:01 AM
Detroit has the best lineup overall. They'll also have a better record and home advantage for any ALCS and World Series games. They also swept the Sox last time out in Comerica, I can't see past them unless Schilling is reincarnated

Aberdonian Stu
12/08/2007, 8:33 PM
Christ Gagne is a walking disaster area. He's single-handedly dragging the Red Sox into a dogfight. Gave up a 2 run homer when 3-1 up in the 8th today at the Orioles so now it's 3-3.

DmanDmythDledge
12/08/2007, 8:54 PM
Christ Gagne is a walking disaster area. He's single-handedly dragging the Red Sox into a dogfight. Gave up a 2 run homer when 3-1 up in the 8th today at the Orioles so now it's 3-3.
There's a reason the Dodgers let go of a player as good has him. No need for him either as Okajima and Delcarmen have been doing great all season. Also Gabbard was needed in the rotation.

Aberdonian Stu
12/08/2007, 9:23 PM
Orioles won it 6-3, the Red Sox only lead the Yankees by four now.

theworm2345
12/08/2007, 9:42 PM
God damn the ****ing Cubs, take first place for a day just to blow the rest of the month and crush our dreams, we're going on 99 years now

DmanDmythDledge
12/08/2007, 9:48 PM
Orioles won it 6-3, the Red Sox only lead the Yankees by four now.
It ended with a homer?

Burny89
12/08/2007, 10:05 PM
Your damn right Stu, Gagne has been far from impressive, after todays game he up'ed his ERA (not a good thing) to 15.45, shocking for one of your big time go to guys.

Hopefully he can turn it around cause it would be tough to listen to if the Yankees came back, from the 12.5 game lead at the all star break. Last year was tough but this would be a major kick in the balls. I live with 2 yankee *******s too :eek:

Kason Gabbard being traded for gagne could turn out to be a major mistake, the guy was pitching shut out baseball, think he went lsomething like 5-0 in Schillings absence. John Lester has pitched decently since his return from cancer. Wakefield continues to hold his own, but doesn't get the run support. Dice-K, bar a rough inning every now and then has been **** hot, again run support is a problem for him. Josh Beckect has been sensational. Curt Schilling has just returned and has looked promising in his first start.

The problem at the minute (apart from Gagne) is getting the men on base back to homeplate! Leaving alot of runners on base!

I'm confident we can hold off the resurgent Yankee's but the 6 games left against them will be very interesting.

When we get to the playoffs, i'd be pretty confident with a starting rotation of Beckett, Schilling, Dice-K and maybe John Lester. Wakefield could take this 4th spot if Lester begins to fade or show signs of experience. Wakefield is a gem to put back in the bullpen if you need some long relief innings, or throw him in just to keep batters guessin, his knuckleball is unreal. Fastball of something like 75mph.

If we can get to the playoffs and get a good solid 6/7 innings from the starters then a bullpen of Delcarmen, Timlin, Okajima and Papelbon is just what the doctor ordered. If we can get Gagne back on game then its even more impressive. Then we got Wakefield, Taverez and Snyder if any long relief is needed.

Soko, you'd wanna take another look at the majestic Pedroia again, he's been amazing this year!

Gagne, a big problem, hasn't done any impressive work yet, on friday night he gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 8th with the Sox leading 5-1, a game they lost 6-5, and then this shambolic performance today

Burny89
12/08/2007, 10:06 PM
ended with a home run by former Sox Kevin Millar

Aberdonian Stu
12/08/2007, 10:07 PM
It ended with a homer?

Yeah, a walk-off three run homer in the 10th.

Kivlehan
12/08/2007, 10:25 PM

Looks like the Yanks won the trade battle for Gagne by losing it. Things are looking up for the Yanks at this moment with Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain emerging from the minors and pitching well. Chamberlain will be our main setup man from here out, I'm certain. Got to love a guy whose first name is pronounced Jabba :) Reminds me a lot of Papelbon on the mound.

DmanDmythDledge
12/08/2007, 10:34 PM
Burny I don't think Lester has been good since he came back- 6.43 ERA says it all. I'd much prefer to see Wakefield start, mainly due to his post season experience. Also I wouldn't want to see Tavarez anywhere near the mound.

Burny89
12/08/2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, i guess, his first start was good, but then seattle beat him up a bit last week, giving up 4 runs in 5 innings, but for a kid with such a long layoff behind him i'll give him a few more games! Over two games and having a bad start can exagerate the average

Tavarez did well kept us battling in games earlier in the season while waiting on the return of Lester. He faded badly tho, so i think he'd be a good shout for middle relief