PDA

View Full Version : Near & Far

Paddyfield
28/01/2007, 8:39 PM
GEOGRAPHY:

Cork City seem to be the most remotely located Premier Division Club.
What is their shortest away trip? Methinks it might be Galway but it might be Bray?

Galway United's nearest away trip (in the Premier Div) is probably Longford or maybe Sligo.

Derry is Galway United's longest away trip.
Ironically, Galway is one of Derry's shorter away trips!

Anyone know the distances between all Clubs?

Mr A
28/01/2007, 8:48 PM
I'd say Derry-Cobh is definately the longest trip anyway.

I would also reckon that Harps could be setting new travelling records this year as we'll have to go to Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Cobh and Limerick twice each, with the 'short' trips being Monaghan, Kildare, Dundalk and Athlone.

Paddyfield
28/01/2007, 8:54 PM
I'd say Derry-Cobh is definately the longest trip anyway..

Cobh and Derry are in two different divisions. Otherwise, Galway United's nearest trip would be Athlone and our longest trip would be Waterford.

Mr A
28/01/2007, 8:56 PM
Longest potential trip then. So Harps Cobh is the longest this season with Cork Derry probably being second (although they'd be very similar).

fanatic
28/01/2007, 9:13 PM
i reckon Derry's longest away trip this season will be another european adventure !

Paddyfield
28/01/2007, 9:24 PM
i reckon Derry's longest away trip this season will be another european adventure !

...to Windsor Park? :D

fanatic
28/01/2007, 9:27 PM
...to Windsor Park? :D

well technically if your thinking like that it would have to be.....................
Drogheda Utd

A face
28/01/2007, 10:11 PM
Here is a list for all the distances (http://www.ifgrounds.com/resources.html) between eL grounds.

BohsPartisan
28/01/2007, 11:12 PM
Bohs-Shels has to be shortest.

SÓC
29/01/2007, 9:44 AM
Bohs-Shels has to be shortest.

Nah Shels -Rovers ;)

Jamjar
29/01/2007, 9:53 AM
Rovers have been travelling for 20 years, and we still haven't made it home. So this must be the longest journey.

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 11:28 AM
Rovers have been travelling for 20 years, and we still haven't made it home. So this must be the longest journey.

To make it home, you need to have a home....

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 11:30 AM
GEOGRAPHY:

Cork City seem to be the most remotely located Premier Division Club.

Not sure on what basis you came to this conclusion ?

The most remotely located has to be Derry. And consistently so - we only have 1 team vaguely near in the whole league, whilst Cork have one on their doorstep (Cobh), and 2 more not too far away (Limerick/Waterford). Conversely, no matter who is in the Premier Derry only have one vaguely easy trip.

ndrog
29/01/2007, 12:13 PM
did derry in 2 and a half hours last season .Its not the hardest trip by any means .Cork on the other hand is a feckin nightmare .Flying is the only way.

dcfcsteve
29/01/2007, 12:15 PM
did derry in 2 and a half hours last season .Its not the hardest trip by any means .Cork on the other hand is a feckin nightmare .Flying is the only way.

A ridiculous statement, as it all depends on where you're travellkjng from and to !

Cork's a dead handy we trip. If you start in Cobh.....

Magicme
29/01/2007, 12:26 PM
Monaghan is not far for you so Finn Harps and us and Sligo are not a million miles away!

micls
29/01/2007, 12:38 PM
Not sure on what basis you came to this conclusion ?

I presume he's talking about it based on this years premier teams. With Waterford now gone all our trips are going to be a 4 hour minimum by bus, without stopping.

Conor H
29/01/2007, 4:28 PM
Nah,You'll make Galway in 3 hours.

monkey magic
29/01/2007, 5:38 PM
Nah,You'll make Galway in 3 hours.

how do ya work that one out? ive friends in galway who i visit fairly frequently, and the best ive done it, given traffic an all is 1h 45mins.. theres no way you could do it from cork in less than double that time..

Raheny Red
29/01/2007, 9:18 PM

Poetic :D

Paddyfield
29/01/2007, 9:53 PM
how do ya work that one out? ive friends in galway who i visit fairly frequently, and the best ive done it, given traffic an all is 1h 45mins.. theres no way you could do it from cork in less than double that time..

It can be done in 40 minutes as there are now direct flights between Cork to Galway....
http://www.galwayairport.com/timetable.asp

micls
29/01/2007, 9:58 PM
It can be done in 40 minutes as there are now direct flights between Cork to Galway....
http://www.galwayairport.com/timetable.asp

40 minutes my ass. Check in an hour beforehand and then get to the ground from the airport.

Add in the fact that these flights are regularly re routed to Shannon beause of weather conditions you're better off driving.

Anyway not all of us can afford to fly everywhere.

Paddyfield
29/01/2007, 10:11 PM
Add in the fact that these flights are regularly re routed to Shannon beause of weather conditions you're better off driving.

Worse! Flights from Galway to Dublin are sometimes rerouted to Belfast and flights into Galway have been known to end up in Kerry Airport

Conor H
29/01/2007, 10:35 PM

Hmm.

Considering the fact i've been to Turners Cross,Cobh and Cork regularily by bus and car i think i'd have a fair idea.

The journey can be done within 3 hours.

ndrog
30/01/2007, 11:58 AM
A ridiculous statement, as it all depends on where you're travellkjng from and to !

Cork's a dead handy we trip. If you start in Cobh.....

well excuse men ! I took for granted that you would realise where id be traveling from .Wrong side of the bed or what :eek:

dcfcsteve
30/01/2007, 12:32 PM
well excuse men ! I took for granted that you would realise where id be traveling from .Wrong side of the bed or what :eek:

Sorry dude - I really shouldn't post with hangovers......! :o

pineapple stu
30/01/2007, 12:51 PM
Worse! Flights from Galway to Dublin are sometimes rerouted to Belfast and flights into Galway have been known to end up in Kerry Airport
And flights into Derry have been known to end up in a farmer's field in the middle of nowhere!

dcfcsteve
30/01/2007, 1:05 PM
And flights into Derry have been known to end up in a farmer's field in the middle of nowhere!

Harsh.

I assume you mean that one-off when a plane landed at the army air-base a couple of miles away by accident. A daft mistake to make - but not exactly ditching into a field.