PDA

View Full Version : eircom League Goal Keepers

Pages : [1] 2

A face
27/01/2007, 11:46 PM
Given the current crisis that Stan is facing between the posts, Givens and Kenny not available, who would you consider from the eircom League to fill the position.

We know it wont happen, as the eL is always snubbed in this situation, but if there was to be a serious replacemnt from the league ..... who would it be?

Stan will go to the lower divisions over the eL, i reckon he'd go to conference level first to be honest, but that would be his mistake to make.

Thoughts ??

Poor Student
28/01/2007, 12:00 AM
Darren Quigley, B and U-21 International. Although Randolph is ahead of him in the pecking order.

TheBoss
28/01/2007, 12:02 AM
Quigley for me aswell, I think we all know that Henderson will go in goal.

BohsFans
28/01/2007, 1:03 AM
I bet someone like Colgan is next in line after Hendo.

Dodge
28/01/2007, 1:12 AM
The 3 keepers named for the SWAI award were Forde, Ryan and Devine. So probably one of them. I'm biased but can't see anybody better than Ryan

crc
28/01/2007, 5:06 AM
The 3 keepers named for the SWAI award were Forde, Ryan and Devine.
They'd be my top 3 too, but I'd have Devine first choice. I wonder if Forde now has a better chance given that he's playing in the English leagues!

DmanDmythDledge
28/01/2007, 12:41 PM
At the moment I'd have Ryan and Devine ahead of Quigley, but I think that will have changed in the next few months.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2007, 12:55 PM
Barry Ryan , Michael Devine and Darren Quigley are the best in the League and were last season in spite of the choice of the soccer writers.

The best on form would have been Michael Devine and Darren Quigley. But any of the three of them would be worthy of a call up. Better first team football in Ireland than reserve team football cross-channel .

Buller
28/01/2007, 2:41 PM
:ball:Barry Murphy:ball:

SligoBrewer
28/01/2007, 4:04 PM
john o'hara imo..

one of the best keepers i've seen play

micls
28/01/2007, 5:42 PM
Im biased but Devine IMO. His european experience would stand to him I think. He was excellent in europe for the past 3 years

I think Ryan would do the job too. Both would be well ahead of Colgan and imo ahead of Henderson in quality too.

kdjaC
28/01/2007, 6:05 PM
Play a keeper who hasnt played a competitve match in 2 months, wow thats a great idea.

kdjac

hoopy
28/01/2007, 6:06 PM
These threads always end up the same with everyone favouring their own goalie

SligoBrewer
28/01/2007, 6:16 PM
no..i honestly believe that john could do the job..

devine as well..

barry ryan.. dont make me laugh

Dr.Nightdub
28/01/2007, 6:26 PM
Play a keeper who hasnt played a competitve match in 2 months, wow thats a great idea.

Didn't seem to bother Jason Byrne too much last week. I could buy the argument about lack of match-sharpness for outfield players, but I'm not sure it applies as much to keepers.

pineapple stu
28/01/2007, 8:06 PM
The 3 keepers named for the SWAI award were Forde, Ryan and Devine. So probably one of them. I'm biased but can't see anybody better than Ryan
Forde is a joke; Quigley's better. Not going to argue the other two though; both quality keepers perfectly able to keep a clean sheet against San Marino.

Tazskool
28/01/2007, 8:12 PM
Problem with keepers moving to other clubs when they are first choice in their old team is lack of first team playing in the new club.. Even if it is a bigger club than the previous one..

So what will he choose.. A keeper who is better but is 2nd choice and lack of first team playing or the 2nd keeper on his list.. who gets regular matches?

pineapple stu
28/01/2007, 8:16 PM
When's the San Marino squad get announced anyway? And is it confirmed that Given and Kenny are both going to be missing?

I'd say call-ups for Henderson (to start; did alright against the Czechs in fairness), Colgan and Randolph.

Risteard
29/01/2007, 12:02 AM
Quigley would be the logical choice imo.

Poor Student
29/01/2007, 2:02 PM
How has Randolph exploded onto the scene? He only has Conference experience from a season on loan at Accrington & Stanley? He seems to have overtaken Quigley at U-21 and B level for no real reason.:confused:

pól-dcfc
29/01/2007, 3:44 PM

Forde has declared for Wales hasn't he? Played an u-21/19 international for them I think.

Rossi
29/01/2007, 4:05 PM
if staunton did pick an el keeper it would be Devine due to European experience

pete
29/01/2007, 4:53 PM
Forde has declared for Wales hasn't he? Played an u-21/19 international for them I think.

No. I read an article last week & he said was due to misunderstanding when he was at Barry Town.

I don't rate Forde or Quigley. Would have Ryan ahead of both but Mick Devine has been best keeper in last 3 seasons since Steve Williams fall from grace. I know a lot of people may not see him much but he would be worthy of best keep title due to European performances alone. Forde will probably get call up due to greater Championship bench experience...

On Newstalk at the weekend they said that Staunton & Alan Kelly kept tabs on 9 keepers.

Can anyone tell me of any irish keepers in the UK playing first team football besides Colgan & Henderson?

pineapple stu
29/01/2007, 4:55 PM
Is Graham Stack still in jail?

Forde has declared for Wales hasn't he?
WHen he moved to Cardiff, he was quoted as saying he hoped it brought him international recognition for Ireland.

WeAreRovers
29/01/2007, 4:56 PM
Can anyone tell me of any irish keepers in the UK playing first team football besides Colgan & Henderson?

Joe Murphy's at Scúnthorpe and doing very well in a decent side.

KOH

pete
29/01/2007, 5:02 PM
Joe Murphy's at Scúnthorpe and doing very well in a decent side.

OK. Theres one candidate. IMO unless playing first team football cannot be considered.

Poor Student
29/01/2007, 5:36 PM

Shane Supple at Ipswich. He's been in and out of the first team. Maybe that injury that forced him out of the B squad lost him his place? He does have 8 appearances this season.

Sam Savic
29/01/2007, 8:28 PM
Didn't seem to bother Jason Byrne too much last week. I could buy the argument about lack of match-sharpness for outfield players, but I'm not sure it applies as much to keepers.

It applies more to keepers than outfield players. Not the actual fitness, more the eye for the pace of the game. Keepers have to be 100% sharp or they are wasteing their time. If a keeper is out for 2 weeks, he begins to lose sharpness, reflexes etc.

swano
29/01/2007, 8:58 PM
Just to continue the trend of everyone picking their own keeper I'll nominate Barry Murphy.
Seriuosly though you'll all get to see him play this season and I'm sure you'll be impressed. Having seen both Ryan and Murphy on many occasions I'd have Murphy any day of the week. He'll struggle to get recognition at a higher level though because of his size. 4 penalties saved from 4 last season.

nui-harp
29/01/2007, 9:46 PM
Conrad Logan who plays for Leicester City.......being touted as the next Packie Bonner!

pete
30/01/2007, 8:31 AM
Keepers just like outfield players have little hope of futher recognition unless can also prove themselves at european level. I am sure Barry Murphy good but whatever hope of Premier division player getting a call up theres no chance of a 1st division player...

Krstic
30/01/2007, 8:37 AM
Conrad Logan who plays for Leicester City.......being touted as the next Packie Bonner!

That's the last thing we need, another sportman turned bad TV presenter.:o

green army
30/01/2007, 12:22 PM
would go with mick devine and barry ryan

Dodge
30/01/2007, 3:11 PM
Randolph got the gig behind Brighton sub Keeper Henderson and Barnsley veteran Colgan.

Ex LOI players included are Jonathon Douglas, Shane Long and Stephen Quinn

pete
30/01/2007, 5:13 PM
Has Randolph played any senior games. I read he was on loan to the Conference last season...

:confused:

DmanDmythDledge
30/01/2007, 5:19 PM
Has Randolph played any senior games. I read he was on loan to the Conference last season...

He was at Accrington Stanley, presumably he started. He was also at loan at Gillingham at some stage. Seems to be a joke that he can get ahead of some of the keepers in the EL, especially seeing as he is behind Quigley in the U-21 squad.

Olander
31/01/2007, 9:13 AM
Forde is a joke; Quigley's better.

ye.. thats why fordey is playing for cardiff and falkirk didnt want SUPER keeper quigley ha :ball:

Poor Student
31/01/2007, 9:20 AM

14 Conference games on loan at Accrington last season and 4 games for Gillingham this season while on loan. He's Charlton's 3rd or even 4th choice keeper. He's from Wicklow and son of some American basketballer who came here.

Dodge
31/01/2007, 9:39 AM
ye.. thats why fordey is playing for cardiff and falkirk didnt want SUPER keeper quigley ha :ball:
You mean, thats why Forde is currently on the bench. He hasn't played for Cardiff and is unlikely to play much either. Same situation as ex pats keeper Chris Adamson

Olander
31/01/2007, 11:35 AM
no if i meant that i would have said that ,thanks.

Dodge
31/01/2007, 11:46 AM
No bother. Was giving you the benfit of the dount as making a type rather than being just plain wrong

Olander
31/01/2007, 12:02 PM
well the point of the post was to show that at least cardiff would buy forde whereas falkirk and others clubs wouldnt take quigley , jeez doesn't take a genius to make the connection.

Dodge
31/01/2007, 12:06 PM
They signed him, they didn't buy him. And Quigley may have been offered deals but refused them. Quigley is the Ireland B keeper, not Forde...

A face
31/01/2007, 5:06 PM
This thread is redundant, not a hope of an Irish based keeper making that squad, not while Stan is in charge.

Keego01
01/02/2007, 4:47 PM
According to the BBC website Randolph has played 17 league games in his career and 1 League Cup match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/bsp/hi/football/statistics/players/r/randolph_305459.stm

Soper
01/02/2007, 4:50 PM
Just asked a Gillingham fan that I know well, and he said that he was alright, but only alright.Is young, so can still imporve, but should 'De Gaffour' be treating upstanding professionals like Devine like this?

drinkfeckarse
06/02/2007, 8:08 AM
Bringing Randolph in even though he's behing Quigley for the U/21's is just another in a long line of strange inconsistant decisions in Stans short management career.

BohDiddley
06/02/2007, 10:59 AM
I'm not one for Stan-bashing, but this is madness.

fbtn
06/02/2007, 11:06 AM
A joke, and not a very funny one at that.

A face
12/02/2007, 6:43 PM
Well? was it a bad choice of keeper ?? Whay did the guy have to do? And what did he actually do? How many times did they attack our goal on the night?