PDA

View Full Version : Murphys CCFC squad.

pete
02/12/2002, 6:10 PM
From the ouside looks like Murphy would love to have a squad of 18-10 year olds.

Advantages would be:
- they young & maybe a bit impresionable so they won't back chat.
- they don't know any better so will take Liams word as gospel
- and best of all will always have the excuse of a young squad finding its feet in the eL & things will be better next year.

:rolleyes:

johnnydontgo
02/12/2002, 6:34 PM
new club licensing laws say clubs must have three (i think) underage teams between 12 and 21 (that right?)

so you could be right pete!

Gone Away
03/12/2002, 10:54 AM
Is our squad as good as we think it is though?

I mean I think both our full backs are quite suspect.

One of our current centre halves is turning into a donkey.
Our left winger doesnt seem to care.
We dont have a setled righht winger.
One of our strikers isnt a striker, and the other one is due to get injured soon IMO.

Our bench boast, well feck all.

Maybe a few more signings or a good new manager might help things along.

Éanna
03/12/2002, 4:19 PM
Wouldn´t agree:
Devine- best keeper in the country IMO-
Mooney- damn good guy to have on the bench.
Carey-Talented but inconsistent, IMO he shouldn´t be first choice.
Napier- badly missed
Cronin- why isn´t he playing ?????
Daly- too old, too fond of hoofing
Horgan - IMO, one of the best full-backs in the league. Seems to be in a dip at the mo, can´t be helped by Billy´s form.
Murray- haven´t seen the guy, but he sounds excellent.
Bennett- very promising at centre back or centre-mid.
O'Grady- obviously off-form. He can´t just have turned into a bad player over the summer.
O'Callaghan - talented but inconsistent
C T O'Brien- took a long time to recover from his cruciate injury, but has been very good this season.
Woods- when he wants to be he´s excellent, but his committment hasn´t been what I expected.
O'Halloran - has been excellent this season, despite being moved around constantly.
Reynolds- majestic
Warren- hasn´t got the chances his talent deserves.
Mulconroy - handy squad player
O'Flynn- excellent, but in danger of burn-out IMO
C P O'Brien - looks to be gettring back to form.

I think we have a good enough squad to win the league, certainly to run bohs all the way, but it´s not being used to its full potential.

pete
03/12/2002, 5:15 PM
Doh! that should have read 18-20 years old above. :(

IMO Horgan is suffering big time from Billy (i don't need to track back) Woods.

Tool old man to the Bohs game & he was commenting about how he thought we had good full backs but saw Hoggie getting roasted by Harkin in the first half. From the stand could see Billy way up the field not bothering to track back to help him.

A fullback having to cope continually one on oen with a winger is only going to have to leave him past a few times to look real bad.

Dellboy
03/12/2002, 7:29 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Warren- hasn´t got the chances his talent deserves.

Totally agree Warren is a very talented player. Shame he only
gets put on for the last 5-10 mins. of the game,if were winning.

Gone Away
04/12/2002, 11:06 AM

O'Callaghan - talented but inconsistent

Talented but being played out of position.

When he drops back, thats when he does the real damage.

dalo
04/12/2002, 12:28 PM
Wouldn´t agree:
O'Flynn- excellent, but in danger of burn-out IMO

Interesting you should say that eanna. why do you think so?

the guy is class but his perforances are very poor lately. his goals off play have all but dried up. let's face it he is the one guy most us would just pay to see him on his own.

(that said I think glen crowe has been very average this year)

Gone Away
04/12/2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by dalo
his perforances are very poor lately.

I still think he is doing a very good job. He is still chasing every ball, giving good flicks and a decent amount of shots on target.

I reckon his biggest problem now is the fact that the league is alert to him. Couple that with the fact that he is only 19 (or has he turned 20?), and he is playing is his first real season. The guy has had a torrid time with injuries in england, and i dont think the guy is used to having such a long run without being rested.

I also think that he is spending an awful lot of time on the ground these days and he is "due an injury".

Hope im wrong, as he is the most exciting player i can remember ever playing for us.

dalo
04/12/2002, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by Gone Away
I still think he is doing a very good job. He is still chasing every ball, giving good flicks and a decent amount of shots on target.

I reckon his biggest problem now is the fact that the league is alert to him. Couple that with the fact that he is only 19 (or has he turned 20?), and he is playing is his first real season. The guy has had a torrid time with injuries in england, and i dont think the guy is used to having such a long run without being rested.

I also think that he is spending an awful lot of time on the ground these days and he is "due an injury".

Hope im wrong, as he is the most exciting player i can remember ever playing for us.

his ankle looks pretty dodgy- he did it in last week and also against bohs on dalymount and in one other game i saw him playing. personally i think the guy is a gem, a real star in the making.

that first goal he got against shels in turners on day one of the season was true genius.

however I don't think he is even getting any shots on goal these days.

a rest wouldn't be no harm but he should be capable of playing at least 30 games a year. of course losing mulligan has made any chance of a rest impossible.

pete
04/12/2002, 3:37 PM
I don't think i've noticed a drop in the fitness of John O'Flynn (yet) but word of caution about engerland returnees...

Maybe of those guys coming back from the uk come back with much higher fitness than the local players so have an advantage to start with. Training routines in the eL generally i'd say would be well below the uk levels & if they go back to part-time 2 day a well training will drop off badly...

I haven't noticed O'Flynn dropping off fitness wise yet but he does not seem to be getting many scoring opportunities of late...

dalo
04/12/2002, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by pete
I haven't noticed O'Flynn dropping off fitness wise yet but he does not seem to be getting many scoring opportunities of late...

i noticed a change in his game as far back as the 3-2 win over shams. all of a sudden he was chasing lost causes down the left wing where as before he was getting the ball in front of him in the centre of attack. a player of his pace needs quick ball on the ground or over his shoulder

james claimed he would end up with 18 goals. i still reckon he would be lucky to get 12 off play in the league. at he mo he has 8 goals of play

anyone explain it?:(

James
04/12/2002, 3:57 PM
dalo twas never mentioned that he would get goals goals just from play

i reckon he will end up with 18 league goals, you said 12

currently he has 11
think i am gona be closer then you.. he'll prob end up with 15though on reflextion

dalo
04/12/2002, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by James
dalo twas never mentioned that he would get goals goals just from play

i reckon he will end up with 18 league goals, you said 12

currently he has 11
think i am gona be closer then you.. he'll prob end up with 15though on reflextion

sorry about the omission. but anyway goals from play count- penos are great but it's goals from play that mark out a striker as being really great.

anyway including penos probably 14:D

James
04/12/2002, 4:10 PM
same old dublin always cheating
g'way dalo ya ****** ya said 12 league goals by the end of the season and lets face it... you're gona be wrong :)

pete
04/12/2002, 5:40 PM
Maybe O'Flynn is only getting hoofs in his general direction so has now realised he gonna have to chase lost causes to make chances...?

Éanna
04/12/2002, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by dalo
Interesting you should say that eanna. why do you think so?

based on his age and the fact that it´s his first season of top-level football. also the number of hoofs he has to chase