PDA

View Full Version : Troussier for Ireland

Real ale Madrid
02/12/2002, 2:27 PM
According to Skysports.com, Phillippe Troussier has been approached by the FAI with regards the managers job.

I think he would be an excellent choice myself, better than Kerr anyway, what do ye think.

Éanna
02/12/2002, 2:31 PM
Kerr would be my no. 1 choice, but Troussier has a good pedigree alright. He´d do a good job Ireckon

colster
02/12/2002, 2:37 PM
Maybe they've approached nim due to his experience of managing 3rd world footbal nations.
He's coached Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Burkina Faso

pete
02/12/2002, 5:46 PM
I dunno if he'll get the job but IMO he appeared to do a good job with Japan & was overshadowed unluckily by Hiddink.

Don't know if he the best option but surely the FAI will actually interview some candidates first?

Last i saw he was 7/1 down from a very attractive 35-40/1 when muppets like Reid & Robson were favourites.

:rolleyes:

johnnydontgo
02/12/2002, 7:23 PM
great picture of him on setanta.com at the moment.

:D

bitored
02/12/2002, 11:18 PM
I think he'd be a very good appointment - maybe with Kerr as assistant (would Kerr take the assistant job?). I was in Japan for the WC and he was a national hero there.

Two things though.
1. I doubt very much he'd live in Ireland but seeing as the previous two didn't either maybe thats not such a big deal
2. I'm sure his wage demands would be pretty extravagant to say the least

The Money Man
03/12/2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by bitored
I think he'd be a very good appointment - maybe with Kerr as assistant (would Kerr take the assistant job?). I was in Japan for the WC and he was a national hero there.

He was a hero in Japperland for the WC and credit to him for their progress. However, to try and put the thing into perspective, who was the last host nation not to get past the initial group phase? Did we expect South Korea to get out of their group this time? Did we expect the States to get out of their group in '94? Did we expect Mexico to get out of their group in '86? In this context, the man's achievements during the Summer, although creditworthy, don't seem spectacular.

The Money Man
03/12/2002, 12:32 AM
Troussier is reputed to have said in the same interview that he had been approached by a total of 5/6 national sides since the World Cup. I've spent some time trying to guess which countries might be in question but can't think of anywhere close to six potential candidates. Is the man trying to build his credibility in anticipation of contract negotiations???

patsh
03/12/2002, 2:21 PM
The FAI denies all knowledge of such an approach.
So either
1. Mr Troussier is a liar.
2. The FAI's ass doesn't know what it's elbow is doing.

Hmmmm........which is the more likely explanation..?;)

pete
03/12/2002, 4:45 PM
Apparently was Troussiers agent that approached the FAI.

Troussier already said last week he'd been approached by 5-6 national teams (Chaina confirmed as one) but he has a broken/injured leg at the moment & doesn't & seems to be taking a break til the new year...

Since Kerr has applied for the Managers job would look like he being an assistant would not be an option.

Giles, Dunphy etc.. are appearing fairly hypocritical at the moment - they keep saying the FAI need football people to make the decision but won't help out in that role themselves...

Éanna
03/12/2002, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by pete
Giles, Dunphy etc.. are appearing fairly hypocritical at the moment - they keep saying the FAI need football people to make the decision but won't help out in that role themselves...

I hope that was a typo and you weren´t referring to dunphy as a football person :eek:

The Money Man
03/12/2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I hope that was a typo and you weren´t referring to dunphy as a football person :eek:

Regardless of individual feelings about Dunphy, its unfair to suggest that he's not a 'football person'. After all, he played the game professionally, was involved with Man U, has twenty odd international caps and earns a living as a pundit. Thats a better football CV Eanna than either mine or yours. I'm not suggesting that we ever need agree with his sometimes off the wall opinion. Nevertheless, let's not be personal about the issue.

The Money Man
03/12/2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
The FAI denies all knowledge of such an approach.
So either
1. Mr Troussier is a liar.
2. The FAI's ass doesn't know what it's elbow is doing.

Hmmmm........which is the more likely explanation..?;)

Surely you're not suggesting that the FAI's competency level is anything other than above reproach!!!

patsh
04/12/2002, 8:23 AM

Well certainly in the case of drunk Dunph, the old saying rings true....
Empty vessels make the most sound.
We are blessed in this country with an abundance of pontificating demagogues who feel they can lecture us all on what we should do, but are strangely inactive when they get the chance to do anything themselves.....:rolleyes:

The Money Man
04/12/2002, 3:34 PM

I don't think that either Giles or Dunphy could bring much constructive comment to the selection process as both of them have personal agendas. I therefore think we're better off not having them involved.

The Legend
04/12/2002, 6:14 PM
FAI tried to get Des Lynam on the selection committee but he refused on the basis that he coudn't be bothered

....Giles and Dunphy are tv pundits... give me a break!

Dunphy's always good for a laugh, you either love him or love hating him....

Badweather Fan
04/12/2002, 6:15 PM
I know little of him. can someone please educate me asto his credentials besides the Japan job?

The Money Man
04/12/2002, 9:18 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
FAI

Dunphy's always good for a laugh, you either love him or love hating him....

Eamo is the man if you're looking for a no holds barred opinion. But in certain regards he carries some baggage. He certainly isn't the man to be advising who the new man should be. (...not that the FAI would ever ask him anyway!!!)

Éanna
05/12/2002, 10:25 AM
Dunphy is nothing more than a sh¡t-stirrer. I don´t think he even believes what he says half the time, he just does it to get into an argument. In fairness, the guy would tell you black was white if he thought it would wind you up. "Some baggage"?!-The guy has such a chip on his shoulder it´s a miracle he can stand up

patsh
05/12/2002, 10:44 AM
It should also be remembered that Dunphy has changed his opinions more times than he has been caught drunk driving.
He doesn't ever think things out, just reacts to the moment. Also, let's remember Dunphy's "footballing pedigree", one even he himself admits was of a low standard. Drumcondra, Scum, United reserves and Millwall hardly qualify Dunphy to judge on what the needs of an international team manager are.

The Money Man
05/12/2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

Also, let's remember Dunphy's "footballing pedigree", one even he himself admits was of a low standard.

Did anybody hear Gilsey and Lawro on the 'Last Word' with Eamo before last season's FA Cup 3rd round?

The conversation started about infamous 3rd round upsets. Eamo reminded John about notorious Leeds exists at the first hurdle. He went on to compare John's career medal haul to that of Lawro's. Gilsey getting a bit irked, retorted.... "will we send Securicor around for yours Eamo!!!"