PDA

View Full Version : The Irish Alamo saved

Hither green
24/01/2007, 9:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6280707.stm

I’ve so got used to the developers bulldozing our history (viking Dublin, the Georgian town houses and only last week a 1500 year old underground passage being covered over by the M3) that this has come as a bit of a surprise; having spent years establishing a reputation as ruthless developers, mercilessly sacrificing Irish history and the rural landscape at the alter of the Celtic Tiger, the Irish Government seems to have become a bit sentimental and has declared 16 Moore St a national monument. What’s going on? Are they getting a bit sensitive in their old age or perhaps it's just because there's a few big centenaries only a decade away? They’re apparently planning another march this Easter too, I'd got used to them not giving a **** about such emotional things.

Macy
25/01/2007, 9:12 AM
iirc it's not as straight forward as saving it as a National Monument - there's all kinds of property developers involved trying to block each other and cpo's and such nonsense. I wouldn't take it at face value without researching it - pheonix back issues would be a good place to start ;)