PDA

View Full Version : Turner arrested & apparently on way to Bohs

Pages : [1] 2

skimcgee
24/01/2007, 1:56 PM
From today's Irish News.

The captain of the Northern Ireland under-21 soccer team was released on bail in the High Court in Belfast yesterday after being charged in connection with an alleged sectarian assault.

Chris Turner (21) had been held in custody in relation to an alleged sectarian assault in Coleraine at the weekend.

Mr Turner, from Dunboe Gardens, Articlave, Co Derry, is charged with causing actual bodily harm to a man who had to be treated in hospital for cuts and bruises to his nose and head.

Crown lawyer Charles McKay said police had been staffing a vehicle checkpoint when they became aware of a man being assaulted at the junction of Killowen Street and Captain Street.

He said police had seen Mr Turner and another man kicking the victim as he lay on the ground.

Mr Turner was arrested and claimed during a tape-recorded interview that he had been provoked by the man, who had called him an “Orange *******”.

“The victim is from the Roman Catholic community, Turner is from the Protestant community and police investigations suggest this was a sectarian incident,” Mr McKay said.

A lawyer for Mr Turner said his client was a professional soccer player who had been on the books of the English club Derby County.

He was currently playing for Sligo Rovers in the League of Ireland and was due to sign for the north Dublin club Bohemians today.

Lord Justice Higgins released Mr Turner on bail.

One condition was that he reside at his home address.

The judge said that if the transfer to Bohemians went ahead, Mr Turner could apply to the court to have the residence condition varied to enable him to live in Dublin.

Mr Turner was released on his own bail of £250 with a surety of £750.

The judge also imposed a curfew, which means he has to be in his home between 10pm and 7am

red bellied
24/01/2007, 2:05 PM
Connor wont like all the trappings with Turner might make him reconsider signing him, not likely to be too popular with opposition supporters what ever way you look at it.

Bravo
24/01/2007, 2:12 PM
RT, I already hear scandalises allegations that you could be done for supporting (sponsoring) sectarianism & loyalism!!!!!!!!!!! Any truth?

Rory H
24/01/2007, 2:41 PM
such nut job....last week i was dreading getting rid of him..not im raging we havent got a fee...

connor praised for his attitude last season...maybe this is the true chris turner

pete
24/01/2007, 3:27 PM
The judge also imposed a curfew, which means he has to be in his home between 10pm and 7am

I suppose that means no away games & he'll have to live very close to Dalymount Park? :D

avvenalaf
24/01/2007, 4:03 PM
24 January 2007
SOCCER STAR KICKED CATHOLIC COURT TOLD
Turner on sectarian charge
By Mirror Reporter
NORTHERN Ireland Under-21 star Chris Turner was in court yesterday after being charged with a sectarian assault.

The 20-year-old, who plays for Sligo Rovers and was due to sign for Bohemians last night, was released on High Court bail.

He had been in custody since an alleged sectarian assault in Coleraine last weekend.

Turner, from Dunboe Gardens, Articlave, Co Derry, is charged with causing actual bodily harm to a man who was treated in hospital for cuts and bruises to his nose and head. Crown lawyer Charles McKay told the court police were manning a vehicle checkpoint when they became aware of a man being assaulted at the junction of Killowen Street and Captain Street.

He said police saw Turner and another man kicking the victim as he lay on the ground.

The court heard Turner claimed in a police interview the man had called him an "Orange b*****d".

Lord Justice Higgins also imposed a 10pm to 7am home curfew.

CAREER FILE

CHRIS Turner won five Under-19 and two Under-21 caps.

The defender, from Ballymoney, Co Antrim, signed for Derby County in January 2005 but moved to Sligo Rovers in December that year.

He is due to join Bohemians in Dublin.

ulster@mirror.co.uk

dublin15bohs
24/01/2007, 4:07 PM
You can keep him.

gustavo
24/01/2007, 4:09 PM
You can keep him.

I hope so!

Jeebus
24/01/2007, 4:12 PM
Anybody want a signed Chris Turner Shirt ? :D :p

Is it signed Chris "FTP" Turner RT???:D

Only1Rovers
24/01/2007, 4:16 PM
I hope he stays... what happened had nothin to do with Rovers.

Darco Ooragnak
24/01/2007, 4:35 PM
So that`s who made the bid for Southampton`s left back - Turner was looking for Bale.

red bellied
24/01/2007, 4:36 PM
Turner also makes the front page of the Champion for the assault charge plus the sports page for officially handing in his transfer request.

gustavo
24/01/2007, 4:47 PM
I hope the Rovers Board show some ambition and dont let him leave without getting a reasonable fee for him.

Terry
24/01/2007, 4:49 PM
so thats turner (and O'grady) gone also !!! What kind of team is there at rovers at the moment???

Rory H
24/01/2007, 4:50 PM
so thats turner (and O'grady) gone also !!! What kind of team is there at rovers at the moment???

eh no team....thought that was pretty obvious

but we have time..ask gustavo!

BohsPartisan
24/01/2007, 4:56 PM
You can keep him.

No way he'll fit right in. Bohs are an Orange club after all. God Save the Queen. :D

feo123
24/01/2007, 6:11 PM
connor praised for his attitude last season...maybe this is the true chris turner

or maybe it just shows sean conner is the same as him?

MervilleUnited
24/01/2007, 6:56 PM
Lets just say the Barflys of a certain pub beside the Showgies are not surprised!:eek:

CT was known to disrobe in defence of the Williamites on a regular basis:)
In fairness, beer was always involved

Lucky man to survive though!

Only1Rovers
24/01/2007, 7:06 PM
jay-sus not many people would get away with that, wha? I still hope he's with the Rovers when the league starts...

foxfordred
24/01/2007, 8:27 PM
spoke to a friend in the know up there and the fight had **** all to do with religion the guy turner hit and his mates are the local rabble and scumbags who needed a good kicking so dont believe all you hear from the ruc/psni and by the way turner is still a headcase

Red4Eva
24/01/2007, 9:49 PM
chrissy has some temper whatever his motivation was in this case. sacked for derby for fightin, the incident in buger king & now this. also gettin sent off twice so early in his rovers career. still hope he stays as long as rob thinks he has the right attitude

avvenalaf
24/01/2007, 10:37 PM
Lads, can you not read what he said in court. He's signing for Bohs tomorrow. End of.

neutrino
25/01/2007, 8:16 AM
Lads, can you not read what he said in court. He's signing for Bohs tomorrow. End of.

being up for assault is serious and nobody would condone it, but how has it come about he's going to bohs ? is he not under contract ? is there no fee ? rovers are a soft touch when it comes to keeping players. are we always going to be a merry-go-round club ? come play for rovers but sure if you want to leave at any stage sure that'll be no problem.

Rory H
29/01/2007, 12:11 PM
singh has signed for bohs anyway...nice of him to make us wait wasnt it

get rid of turner now and we dont have to deal with our ex manager anymore!

Guts&Glory
29/01/2007, 12:40 PM
Singh who wanted to return to England because he missed his family so much.

Another dirty lying git.

Only1Rovers
29/01/2007, 12:56 PM

Has he signed yet???

Hope not...

The Stars
29/01/2007, 4:11 PM
Agree with Sligonproud.....he has a bit of a party animal,think it was his downfall in england.
Hate to see him in Dublin which has more than 3 nightclubs i believe.

SligoBrewer
29/01/2007, 4:30 PM
Agree with Sligonproud.....he has a bit of a party animal,think it was his downfall in england.
Hate to see him in Dublin which has more than 3 nightclubs i believe.

more than 3:eek: :eek: :eek: how can they live with such filth!

pete
29/01/2007, 4:42 PM
When I saw the name of this thread I thought this Turner fella has been arrested & was sent to Bohs as punishment. :D

feo123
29/01/2007, 6:08 PM
would be a good punishment having to work under sean connor again

SligoBrewer
29/01/2007, 6:29 PM
would be a good punishment having to work under sean connor again

i would wish no man that..

itd be like working with Fr. Jessop from Father Ted. (The Sarcastic Priest)

He says the COMPLETE opposite of what he means:D :D

feo123
29/01/2007, 7:08 PM
dont think hes actually a party animal as such,others wud b worse,but it just showed his contempt and disloyalty for the rovers and the hard work that was done to bring him in ........ good luck to him
lots of pak-indo cuisine up there for him too! :)

hope thats nota racist remark ;)

BohDiddley
29/01/2007, 7:59 PM
When I saw the name of this thread I thought this Turner fella has been arrested & was sent to Bohs as punishment. :D
Yes, but it's Sligo who do not pass Go, and do not collect £200! :p
Turner apparently still on his way to Bohs.

SligoBrewer
29/01/2007, 8:24 PM

says who?
:rolleyes:
5hit 5tirrer Connor
:rolleyes:

Only1Rovers
30/01/2007, 11:37 AM

apparently? is he lost in Athlone?
:confused:

Rory H
30/01/2007, 11:51 AM
turner is back in training next week...

Only1Rovers
30/01/2007, 2:25 PM
turner is back in training next week...

With Rovers I hope?

Rory H
30/01/2007, 2:36 PM
yes..

Only1Rovers
30/01/2007, 2:51 PM
HAPPY DAYS, but it doesn't mean he not going to Bohs (or anywhere else for that matter?), you just saying he's back training right?

Bravo
30/01/2007, 3:07 PM
If he is not gone by tomorrow, Hes not going?? as the window closes.

gustavo
30/01/2007, 3:23 PM
The windows open for another month for Irish clubs AFAIK

Only1Rovers
30/01/2007, 3:33 PM
If window is open for another month then I think it is unlikley he will stay. I suprised he's still with the club considering he asked to transfer request. Although he did report Connor after an illegal approach. Strange...

Terry
30/01/2007, 8:43 PM
window is remaining open for the EL until the end of February.

Soper
30/01/2007, 8:45 PM
25k euros was an insult of an offer

red bellied
07/02/2007, 1:43 PM
Back in training and it looks if Connor has spurned all interest in him.

sligoman
14/02/2007, 11:26 PM
Sean Connor still hasn't given up hope of signing Turner according to today's(Wednesday) paper. He's after a defender and a midfielder and Turner is the midfielder he wants. If he hasn't signed for them by the close of the transfer window(Feb 28th) then Connor will probably sign David Howland on loan from Birmingham instead. Howland is Turner's Northern Ireland U-21 team mate.

Only1Rovers
15/02/2007, 2:17 PM
Can see this goin tits up and Turner getting washed away in the flood and the Rovers getting fook all. Has anyone heard anything from Turner's mouth about his desire to stay with Rovers?

Only1Rovers
15/02/2007, 2:37 PM
Sorry not with you are you predicting a storm ?

Do you think Turner will be playing with Rovers this season?

gustavo
15/02/2007, 2:48 PM
I think he probably will and I would rather he stayed with us for just the season and leave for free at the end of it than take the kind of money Bohs are offering,

gustavo
16/02/2007, 7:31 PM
From a Bohs Forum

IN essence Turner is chomping at the bit to sign for Bohemian F.C. According to Connor Turner will be a Bohemian F.C. player, it’s up to Sligo to accept what we are offering for him or face a reduced offer later or even face the prospect of losing him for nothing at the end of the season. He seems to have a fetish for Turner and from what I have heard Turner is supposed to be a big Connor fan himself.