PDA

View Full Version : Squad Depth

Gaillimh Al
23/01/2007, 6:03 PM
Just looking at the squad as of today and it's starting to look a bit scary.

Goalkeepers - A novice in this league and a legend who should only have to be called on in a crisis.

Defence - Serious concerns. 3 centre halves (none of whom are that quick) and 2 left backs. And thats it.

Midfield - Centre midfield seems covered but wide players are thin on the ground. I know O' Flynn can play wide but would prefer to see him play up front.

Attack - Good competition.

So at the moment we're short a goalkeeper, 2 defenders(at least), a wide midfielder and maybe another striker. Fingers crossed

JW.
23/01/2007, 7:16 PM
Right-back is not a very important position and I'm sure Tony'll have those players signed by the season's start.

Terry
23/01/2007, 8:43 PM
Alan Keane is actually right footed and will be covering the right back position instead of the left this year, IMO. Tribalhooie would know exactly his favourite position, but I do think its on the right !

eamo1
23/01/2007, 10:37 PM
late last season came in thr right back spot and i assume and hope thats where he will be this coming season.i share the worry about our squad at present but its still around 2 months away from the start so no need for panic yet.

gufct
24/01/2007, 8:36 AM
Tony has said he is looking for another Keeper, Centre half, Left Sided Player and a Centre Forward which would bring the squad upto 21 which is about 15 more than Shels have at the moment.

Alan Keane is a right back and was excellent there until his Injury.The Shels situation could still benefit us with upto nine very good players Harris,Rogers,O'Halloran,Baker,Williams,Delaney,Ch ambers,Moore & Crawford likely to jump ship after todays news.

galwayhoop
24/01/2007, 9:35 AM
Right-back is not a very important position

:eek: :eek:

surley it has some merit and you're not suggesting playing 2 left backs to compensate!!! the left sided wingers will have a field day against us :D

Terry
24/01/2007, 9:47 AM
If your referring Alan Keane to a left back, he's not, he is a right back and if fully fit by the start of the season will cope very well IMO.

galwayhoop
24/01/2007, 10:47 AM
If your referring Alan Keane to a left back, he's not, he is a right back and if fully fit by the start of the season will cope very well IMO.

not at all.

was just highlighting that RB is as important a position as any of the others in a 4-4-2 system. a vain attempt at humour :cool:

JW.
24/01/2007, 10:49 AM
not at all.

was just highlighting that RB is as important a position as any of the others in a 4-4-2 system.
It isn't. Full-backs are the least important players on the pitch.
Alan has to prove he's over his injury and Premier Division-class but I'd have faith in him.

GUISAUltra
24/01/2007, 10:53 AM
i know from playing a good bit with alan when he was younger that he preferred to play on the right and not the left but he wouldnt complain if he was put over to left back. good player and i think the step up will improve him more all round. hope to see him back playing in terryland as soon as possible

JW.
24/01/2007, 10:59 AM
He was always just filling in at left-back but as I said before, because full-back isn't a very important position, you can get away with it.

colm s
24/01/2007, 11:20 AM
Dont think he will be playing left back as reilly seems to have that covered.

galwayhoop
24/01/2007, 11:48 AM
It isn't. Full-backs are the least important players on the pitch.

not meaning to nit pick but if you play a 4-4-2 formation without full backs then it is a 2-4-2

i appreciate that it may be an easier position to deputise in than others but to say the position is not important is not correct. in fact imo having a correct footed (ie left footed in LB) full back is important also espically if you are playing with wingers. it allow you more width and over-laps etc. the game has changer in recent years with full backs more involved in attacking than before.

corbyeire
24/01/2007, 11:49 AM
either way we need a few more players badly!

JW.
24/01/2007, 12:10 PM
It's not unimportant - just relatively unimportant..
But I agree we need balance and we need a right-back and possibly a left-back.

colm s
24/01/2007, 1:04 PM
we have a left back already.

gufct
24/01/2007, 1:11 PM
as far as I know Colm James can also fill in at right back.We have 17 players training full time with 4 more to come in so i wouldnt be panicking.

Tony has proved himself to be a very shrewd operator so i have faith in him so just relax everything will be ok.

Sumac
24/01/2007, 3:43 PM
At the moment what would the first XI be?

gufct
24/01/2007, 3:48 PM
Goughy
James
Clery
Charles
Reilly
Cooke
Lester
Foley
O'Brien
O'Flynn
Murphy

Subs
Brianas
Armstrong
Moran
Russell
McKenna

Injured ;Keane

Tribalhooie
25/01/2007, 5:14 PM
When I am talking to Alan regularly and ask him about what position he likes to play they are right back and centre half. I have absolutely no worries about his ability to mix it in the premier division. He cant wait to get back playing and prove any doubters wrong.

eamo1
25/01/2007, 5:58 PM
he will be back???