PDA

View Full Version : Merchandise - here's how to do it

Pages : [1] 2

dcfcsteve
23/01/2007, 3:51 PM
Just been goihng through the latest set of audited accounts for AFC Wimbledon (year ended 30th June 2006).

Their turnover for 'Merchandise and Programmes' in the 2004/5 season was a whopping £242,567. That was the year in which they launched the current home and away kits, so they obviously had a big boost through having new kit. But they still managed to turnover £172,102 the following season (2005/6).

To put that all in context -

1)AFC Wimbledon have an active fan-base of c. 2,500 fans (i.e. their average crowd).
2) Their dormant/latent fan-base is probably a further 1-1,500 extra, but they are seeing those sorts of fans increasingly less at the stadium as the drudgery of non-league football continues.
3) Their merchandise is only really on sale at the club's stadium, where they have a very nice little professional-looking set-up (better than anything I've seen in Ireland).
4) They have practically zero away fans at any of their games, so few opposition fans to boost their programme and merchandise sales.

Therefore - despite having an active fan base no bigger than a number of our Premier division teams, an inactive fan-base much smaller than many of our sides, a lack of away fans and extremely limited merchandise distribution, they are generating merchandise sales substantially in excess of what I suspect any single Irish club does.

Which suggest that we are clearly doing something wrong !

Two things I would say AFC are doing right, which we can learn from, are :

1) A very professional looking, well-merchandised shop - despite limited space.
2) Constantly providing items that fans want (possibly as a reflection of the fact that it is a fan-run club from top to bottom).

There is no reason why Derry, Cork, Drogheda and Bohs (possibly also Shels in their former successful life, and Rovers in their new Premier one) shouldn't be generating those sorts of sums if a small club like AFC Wimbledon is able to do so.

paul_oshea
23/01/2007, 4:20 PM
ok, so DCFCSTEVE consultancy charged £800 for this day report, and what we have learned is that, more clubs need more fans or fans of EL clubs need to be less tight? Is that the governing thought/outcome of your consultancy work? :D

Also, what is the definition of "providing items that fans want" and how can that be changed from what they are already providing? Are they at the moment selling only underpants and thongs in (EL) club shops/distributions at the moment, when they should be selling jerseys and scarves etc?

Paddyfield
23/01/2007, 4:20 PM
Very interesting dcfcsteve.

GUFC are looking for a retail unit in the city centre to sell merchandise to tourists. Last year, the Club sold just over 1000 jersies, mainly to tourists, and a large amount (I don't know the amount) of baseball caps were sold in July/August.

The word "Gaillimh" in the Club crest is a big selling factor.

paul_oshea
23/01/2007, 4:23 PM
The what is the easy part, the how is the hard part paddyfield. it easy say whats wrong, its hard to know how to fix/remedy this!!

ndrog
23/01/2007, 4:35 PM
Drogs opened up a shop in the middle of town .has really made a difference to the amount of merch sold .You always see loads of kids wearing drogs gear around the place .

Soper
23/01/2007, 4:35 PM
I wish there was a way for me to buy merch.The club would be minted.

dcfcsteve
23/01/2007, 5:04 PM
The what is the easy part, the how is the hard part paddyfield. it easy say whats wrong, its hard to know how to fix/remedy this!!

Well I tried and you rubbished what I said, ya ******.... :D

The 'things that fans want' is from personal experience primarily of the Derry City shop/merchandise, but also of a few other clubs, where they just never seem to get it right. A very limited range, low stock levels, little imagination, poor merchandising. It is improving slowly for City with our new shop in town, but still has a very long way to go. If a club with a lower fan base than us can rake in £250,000 in a year with no away fans, major cup competitions or European football, there is no reaosn on earth why we can't.

P.S. Just remembered that you wanted solicitors details (told you I was feckin forgetful !). Do you still need them ?
P.P.S. You taking care of my shirt....? :)

dcfcsteve
23/01/2007, 5:06 PM
I wish there was a way for me to buy merch.The club would be minted.

AFC Wimbledon online shop : http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/shop/shop.php

Mr A
23/01/2007, 5:58 PM
While there are obviously lessons to be learned from AFC Wimbledon's professional approach I suspect part of the reason for their merchandising success could well be because of their status as a club set up by fan when their own was lost to franchise football. A lot of fans of other clubs therefore have a real soft spot for them and probably aren't adverse to picking up a bit of gear to show support.

Soper
23/01/2007, 6:04 PM
AFC Wimbledon online shop : http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/shop/shop.php

Oh, I could never betray 'Da Wovers'

dcfcsteve
23/01/2007, 6:16 PM
While there are obviously lessons to be learned from AFC Wimbledon's professional approach I suspect part of the reason for their merchandising success could well be because of their status as a club set up by fan when their own was lost to franchise football. A lot of fans of other clubs therefore have a real soft spot for them and probably aren't adverse to picking up a bit of gear to show support.

I don't doubt a little bit of this happens.

However - firstly, now in its 5th year of operation, the novelty of AFC Wimbledon has largely worn off. I could understand fans of other club sbeing keen to help out in the first season or two, but 5 years on......???

Secondly - bar perhaps the very first season, I seriously doubt anything more than a tiny percentage of AFC's total merchandise income has ever comprised of such solidarity purchases as you describe. You could libverally assume a figure of 5-10% of total income, but even deducting that from their bottom line would still leave an impressive figure.

These are therefore not substantive factors behind the merchandise sales figures that AFC generates

Soper
23/01/2007, 7:23 PM
Hohoho Skillful

Soper
23/01/2007, 7:38 PM
Could've meant Roy of the Rovers

Student Mullet
23/01/2007, 8:53 PM
However - firstly, now in its 5th year of operation, the novelty of AFC Wimbledon has largely worn off. I could understand fans of other club sbeing keen to help out in the first season or two, but 5 years on......???I don't think the novelty has quite worn off. You've brought them up twice this week on this forum, though that's hardly obsessive.

The more relevant question would be wheather AFC are the only club to ship such a large amount of stock, relative to their support. If they're the exception (which I suspect), then there's little benefit to pointing at them and asking why we aren't all the exception. If there are other clubs doing the same then the question is, what have they in common and what can be done to copy it.

Soper
23/01/2007, 9:31 PM
there is more of a chance Roy Rovers is organised with an online shop than Bog Rovers.

What would he sell though?Personalised merchandise?I would've thought his club would be in control of that.Depends if he has an image rights deal or not though, I suppose.

dcfcsteve
23/01/2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think the novelty has quite worn off. You've brought them up twice this week on this forum, though that's hardly obsessive.

I've brought them up as it was in context and I'm a supporter. Me doing so is therefore not evidence of their residual novelty factor....

The more relevant question would be wheather AFC are the only club to ship such a large amount of stock, relative to their support. If they're the exception (which I suspect), then there's little benefit to pointing at them and asking why we aren't all the exception. If there are other clubs doing the same then the question is, what have they in common and what can be done to copy it.

Your point about the merchandise sales relative to their level of support is a valid one, but in all honesty outside the English Premiership clubs I've little way of knowing what the answer to that is (do you ?). What I do know is that AFC are officially the 93rd best supported club in England. Since Carlisle went back into the Football League, there is no bettter supported team than AFC in non-league football.

Of more relevance than concepts of exceptions would be to look at things like average spend per capita of active fan-base, or judgements regarding the relative wealth of AFC's typical fan profile versus a typical Irish club's one. The spending power of your average AFC fan would be only marginally higher than your average EL fan in my considered opinion, and probably equal in some cases. We're not talking about Monaco fans here. With 2-3 of our clubs having higher attendances than AFC, any unsubstantial per-capita advantage in their supporter's disposable income would be out-weighed anyway on the overall turnover figures.

And even if they were an exception in - so fcuk ? How can a club with 2,500 fans make tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of pounds more on merchandising than one with a fan-base 20% larger ? And why can't our clubs emulate them ? I see no reason why not.

Bottom line is that we don't need to tie ourselves up in concepts of exceptions etc. The obvious conclusion to draw in explaining the difference is that AFC are just running their merchandising operation well. They have a quality, inviting, professional-looking and well-stocked shop with a broad range of items that are well merchandised. Can any of us honestly say that our club's merchandising is pretty damn good, and there is genuinely little room for improvement ? Far from it with any club in Ireland that I've visited over the years.

fbtn
24/01/2007, 12:25 AM
You make some very vaild points lads.

A small part of this though could be that fans of some clubs have more of a 'culture' of buying and actually wearing their teams merchandise than others.

Eoingull
24/01/2007, 12:39 AM
Sorry to be so pedantic, but I would have thought Oxford United to be the best supported English non league team. Over Christmas they had about 11,000 at a home game in the Conference.

billybunter
24/01/2007, 12:58 AM
how can you hold the league of ireland clubs to a high standard of marketig and merchandising when you cant buy an irish scarf or shirt on the national associations website?

Macy
24/01/2007, 7:28 AM
There used to be a site that had a table of the average attendances listed, for all divisions*. I'd be surprised if AFC were ahead of Oxford and Exeter though tbh. FCUM would be similar - great range of merchandise, and perhaps more importantly a reliable supply, which is something Irish teams really suffer with.

*EDIT - Found the site http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/attcomp.htm
Oxford 54th; FCUM 93rd; AFC Wimbledon 95th; AFC Telford 102nd

Dodge
24/01/2007, 7:59 AM
how can you hold the league of ireland clubs to a high standard of marketig and merchandising when you cant buy an irish scarf or shirt on the national associations website?

WTF has that to do with it?

Magicme
24/01/2007, 8:35 AM
I know we are small fry and we havent got the greatest fan base but on any given day in Monaghan I generally see at least 2 people wearing something with the Monaghan United logo on it. Was in Xtravision one day and apart from me there were 3 other people wearing Mons gear, so it is possible. Having said that, the most common item u will see is the rain jacket that was given to all the kids who took part in last years Halloween camp, so there was no profit on that, but the visibility factor is there!

paul_oshea
24/01/2007, 9:11 AM
P.S. Just remembered that you wanted solicitors details (told you I was feckin forgetful !). Do you still need them ?
P.P.S. You taking care of my shirt....?

Your shirt is doing lovely, wore it out in the londonderry when i was out there, so the people of derry are still getting to see it :) :D

the shop was quite impressive in town if a bit small.

paul_oshea
24/01/2007, 9:31 AM
why dont ye set up a site like irishclubsupporters.ie etc, get it a good page ranking and good meta tags, so that anybody abroad or wherever that looks for ( individual ) club gear can be directly linked off that page. Then ensure that all clubs pool off that main site.

Peadar
24/01/2007, 10:21 AM
Steve, you obviously know nothing about Cork City FC and our merchandise sales. Just because Derry may be falling behind, doesn't mean you should assume that every other club hasn't got their act together.

BohsPartisan
24/01/2007, 10:24 AM
why dont ye set up a site like irishclubsupporters.ie etc, get it a good page ranking and good meta tags, so that anybody abroad or wherever that looks for ( individual ) club gear can be directly linked off that page. Then ensure that all clubs pool off that main site.

Good Idea. I also think that a League of Ireland shop in Dublin City Centre would be an idea. Not just merch of the Dublin clubs as there are people from all over the country living here. Think about it. The Galway/Sligo/Cork/Cobh/Derry/Ballyboffey man who doesn't get a chance to buy the latest club merch on his all too rare visits home just has to pop into town. It could even carry some Irish league stuff too.

Maybe you would also be able to buy match tickets there.

Soper
24/01/2007, 10:28 AM
I agree with that idea...I'd say the way Umbro are going, they will do something like that (of course without non-Umbro teams).Link it in with Ireland stuff too.

galwayhoop
24/01/2007, 10:40 AM
Good Idea. I also think that a League of Ireland shop in Dublin City Centre would be an idea. Not just merch of the Dublin clubs as there are people from all over the country living here. Think about it. The Galway/Sligo/Cork/Cobh/Derry/Ballyboffey man who doesn't get a chance to buy the latest club merch on his all too rare visits home just has to pop into town. It could even carry some Irish league stuff too.

Maybe you would also be able to buy match tickets there.

there used to be a shop in Carnaby Street in london called 'soccerscene' - i think it's still there - and it was pretty much like that. from my hazy memory i think you could buy pretty much all club jersies. it would be a great idea for a LOI one.

you could also include other jersies but unfortunately it would probably just turn into an MUFC or Celtic shop then - espically if umbro ran it!

i think that the FAI should open a prime city centre outlet (grafton st., stephens green .. etc) selling national team merchandise and as it is the new FAI LOI they should also have eL gear too. even if it was backed by umbro (but not run by them) with only umbro sponsored clubs it would be acceptable - but irish teams only - we have enough Celtic/ManU shops as it is.

WeAreRovers
24/01/2007, 10:43 AM
The percentage increase in revenue from merchandising at Rovers since the fans takeover is unreal. Partly because the previous shower didn't bother with it and partly because the current set-up is very impressive.

We now generate very healthy revenues from merchandising and hopefully even more as time goes on. Small things like actually having stock, having dedicated merchandising people, having a strong online presence and having a physical store that fans can walk into and spend money. It's not rocket science but I know that the majority of Irish clubs don't have any of these in place.

KOH

Magicme
24/01/2007, 11:02 AM
there used to be a shop in Carnaby Street in london called 'soccerscene' - i think it's still there - and it was pretty much like that. from my hazy memory i think you could buy pretty much all club jersies. it would be a great idea for a LOI one.

you could also include other jersies but unfortunately it would probably just turn into an MUFC or Celtic shop then - espically if umbro ran it!

i think that the FAI should open a prime city centre outlet (grafton st., stephens green .. etc) selling national team merchandise and as it is the new FAI LOI they should also have eL gear too. even if it was backed by umbro (but not run by them) with only umbro sponsored clubs it would be acceptable - but irish teams only - we have enough Celtic/ManU shops as it is.

Great idea in theory but there would never be enough revenue generated to cover the overheads particularly for a city centre shop in Dublin. Maybe the FAI should look into some sort of sponsorship deal with some of the major sports stores and get them to have a section of eL and ROI merchandise with all clubs available. And they should have an online store on the FAI website. You can buy Monaghan United stuff at www.monaghanunited.ie by the way! :D

Lim till i die
24/01/2007, 11:23 AM
Was in Xtravision one day and apart from me there were 3 other people wearing Mons gear, so it is possible.

3 people in the same place in Monaghan :eek:

Was there some kind of festival on :)

We had loads of gear for sale last year. Then it was robbed. So much like Monaghan the visibility is there but no profits :o

paul_oshea
24/01/2007, 12:40 PM

YA, I see where you are coming from but given the rates of a dublin city centre shop, they would need to stock more than just LOI jerseys I reckon to remain financially viable. Its kkinda like a sports shop in a small town, not enough people, whereas in this case enough people but not enough of what they want.... A good thing I spose though is, particularly with donegal ppl they get really clannish and more proud of being from donegal when they leave, so the option of buying a finn harps jersey would probably appeal to them more in dublin than when they go back to ballybofey or donegal town or stranorlar etc.

Most people have internet access now ( someway or another whether at work or at home or whatever ), its easy to setup a site that can link off to clubs or posisbly even sell the merchandise on behalf of the clubs ( if they dont have sites, or dont have an option to sell over the internet )using something open-source and free like oscommerce. I really think there is potential in that if enough people were interested to help out to get it up and running etc.

How many clubs sell merchandise directly ON their site?

Peadar
24/01/2007, 1:00 PM
Why would Cork City FC want someone in Dublin making profit on their merchandise? We only make profit on what we sell ourselves. If I want something, but can't get home, I order it online.
I wouldn't even buy a City shirt from Lifestyle!

exiled_gufc_fan
24/01/2007, 1:06 PM
Most of the clubs I've been to see here in England have been League 1 or League 2 sides. A number of those I have visited have retail outlets similar to those suggested at or near the ground - Bournemouth and Wycombe being two examples.

A number of the larger clubs have town centre retail outlets (including Ipswich).

I think this, along with online merchandise sales, are two logical moves for Irish clubs.

pete
24/01/2007, 1:32 PM
Who manufactures those AFC Wimbledon jerseys? The quality looks fairly good.

Maybe the eL would be better off doing a league wide deal with one fit suppliers? Clubs make cash based on percentage cut from sales. A bit like US sports...?

BohsPartisan
24/01/2007, 1:36 PM
Why would Cork City FC want someone in Dublin making profit on their merchandise?
I was talking about a joint venture between the Clubs. Obviously profits would go back to the clubs.

Peadar
24/01/2007, 4:04 PM
I was talking about a joint venture between the Clubs. Obviously profits would go back to the clubs.

Sounds to me like you want clubs from the country to supplement the cost of a shop for Dubs. :rolleyes:

BohsPartisan
24/01/2007, 4:09 PM
Sounds to me like you want clubs from the country to supplement the cost of a shop for Dubs. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are jumping to conclusions as usual. :rolleyes:
It would be say to say how much of who's merch was sold. And do you honestly believe that there would be more CCFC stuff sold in a shop in Dublin than Bohs, Pats or Rovers?

Peadar
24/01/2007, 4:17 PM
It would be say to say how much of who's merch was sold. And do you honestly believe that there would be more CCFC stuff sold in a shop in Dublin than Bohs, Pats or Rovers?

You clearly haven't thought this through.
All clubs would contribute equally to the running costs of the shop?
Profits would be divided based on quantity of merchandise sold for each specific club?
Dublin clubs would sell more merchandise, therefore, have a greater cut of the profit.
Country clubs would have less profit, which, for some clubs, could end up being less than their overheads.

We refuse to subsidise the Dubs!

wws
24/01/2007, 4:23 PM
lads this thread is comical (I hope intentionally!)
a global football mega brand like Man United couldnt sustain interest in a merchandise shop in the heart of the city centre

Peadar
24/01/2007, 4:27 PM
a global football mega brand like Man United couldnt sustain interest in a merchandise shop in the heart of the city centre

What would you know about branding?
The "Super Saints" brand was taken off the shelves quicker than Jade Goody perfume!
No wonder all you Dubs want us to subsidise you!

WeAreRovers
24/01/2007, 4:29 PM

It is now you're on it. ;)

Of course such a shop is sustainable but only for the 4 Dublin clubs in Dublin. I've even done some preliminary research on it. There's a shop in Stockholm along exactly those lines - sells merch and tickets for the 3 Stockholm Allsvenskan clubs.

A shop in Dublin would have to make some compromises of course ie. sell FAIreland stuff too but it would help to attract tourists into the shop and to games. At the moment there is nothing whatsoever in Dublin City centre to let tourists or foreign football fans living here that there is senior football in Dublin.

KOH

BohsPartisan
24/01/2007, 4:31 PM
You clearly haven't thought this through.
All clubs would contribute equally to the running costs of the shop?

I didn't say that either. Obviously the clubs can't afford this at the present time. However if a premises or part of, was provided by the FAI (highly aspirational I know)...
Anyway you're probably right. Chances of it working out would be slim, it was merely an aspiration. No need for paranoia mind.

incident
24/01/2007, 4:34 PM
Despite the claims of some, there's nothing Irish about Man Utd.

By far the biggest market for a Dublin City Centre store would be tourists - people aren't going to visit Dublin and buy a Man Utd shirt as they can get the exact same product at home (and probably cheaper), but they might well buy a Pats/Galway/Cork shirt to take home.

While I think of it, didn't Ronan Seery claim at one point that the Dublin City shirt was easily the highest selling in the league, due to their tie up with Carrolls?

BohsPartisan
24/01/2007, 4:44 PM
While I think of it, didn't Ronan Seery claim at one point that the Dublin City shirt was easily the highest selling in the league, due to their tie up with Carrolls?

Good point. I'm sure if you sold Ireland jerseys in there too it could stay afloat.

blackholesun
24/01/2007, 9:12 PM
If you are going to tap the tourist market in Dublin youd need to be in / around temple bar. Rents must be savage aroynd there, but some small ****ty record shops appear to scrape buy. Sure even Leinster rugby dont have a city center shop.

Similar shop in Stockholm called Derby with the 3 big clubs having 1/3 each. Very impressive. Worth looking into ...

bhs

SligoBrewer
24/01/2007, 10:09 PM
If you are going to tap the tourist market in Dublin youd need to be in / around temple bar. Rents must be savage aroynd there, but some small ****ty record shops appear to scrape buy. Sure even Leinster rugby dont have a city center shop.

Similar shop in Stockholm called Derby with the 3 big clubs having 1/3 each. Very impressive. Worth looking into ...

bhs

was in those shltty shops 2day actually! :D

the internet though is the best thing to do ..
could the clubs not use paypal and get it set up?
how hard is it?

Soper
24/01/2007, 11:13 PM
SligoBrewer - Did they sell actual vinyl in there?

wws
25/01/2007, 9:55 AM
Despite the claims of some, there's nothing Irish about Man Utd.

By far the biggest market for a Dublin City Centre store would be tourists - people aren't going to visit Dublin and buy a Man Utd shirt as they can get the exact same product at home (and probably cheaper), but they might well buy a Pats/Galway/Cork shirt to take home.

where on earth do you get the idea that tourists would want to buy eircom league football jersies?!?! Crazy talk.

BTW Ronan Seery also claimed that he was building a club to represent Dublin in any future european football league.......

WeAreRovers
25/01/2007, 10:54 AM

See Post #45 above. I really hate it when people don't read my insightful and educational posts. it makes me feel unloved. ;)

KOH