PDA

View Full Version : Our defence

Éanna
30/11/2002, 4:29 PM
Just looking at the tables- the only sides in the league to have conceded more than us are Bray and Drogs! Thats absolutely shocking. If you consider we have the best keeper in the country, imagine how bad our defence is!!! Needs to be rectified asap.

pete
02/12/2002, 5:02 PM
When you think we don't have exactely the wrost defensive players in the league too i think the questions have to be asked about out defensive organisation...

Éanna
02/12/2002, 5:32 PM
Yeah. On the face of it, we have Hoggy (IMO, an excellent full-back) and Murray (who appears very good) at least in front of the best keeper in the league. There´s no way we should be shipping so many goals

patsh
03/12/2002, 8:49 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Yeah. On the face of it, we have Hoggy (IMO, an excellent full-back) and Murray (who appears very good) at least in front of the best keeper in the league. There´s no way we should be shipping so many goals.........
.............and then you see Daly playing and all becomes clear!;)

NorthoftheLee
03/12/2002, 8:53 AM
perfectly clear. Looking at the shels goal again last nite, christ that decie is slow. He was appalling for the goal. Geoghan turned him way too easily and deccie hadnt the legs to catch up with him. :o

Real ale Madrid
03/12/2002, 9:56 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Just looking at the tables- the only sides in the league to have conceded more than us are Bray and Drogs! Thats absolutely shocking. If you consider we have the best keeper in the country, imagine how bad our defence is!!! Needs to be rectified asap.

Devine may be a candidate for Cork City Player of the year but he is not the best keeper in the league.

Gone Away
03/12/2002, 10:34 AM
I dunno about that Real Ale. Some of the stops he has made when put under silly pressure by baqd defending have been unreal. If you put a good defence ahead of him, who knows how good he would be?

Real ale Madrid
03/12/2002, 10:38 AM
He has had a great season, no doubt.
But he was at fault for the goal against Longford and has made a few errors lately. Barry Ryan is the best keeper on current form. The UCD defence is not great either.

niamh
03/12/2002, 12:54 PM
Our defence is appauling because they need to play like a team and be able to do their job.

Decy ain't up to it anymore. They do not communicate with each other. Murray cannot make up for everything Decy lacks.

Decy used to be able to move and read the game. He's not even doing that now. He's been a legend but if he plays after this season, his past record will be long forgotten.

Schumi
03/12/2002, 2:00 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
Barry Ryan is the best keeper on current form.
He was outstanding against Bohs on Friday, 4 or 5 amazing saves plus the penalty!

Troy.McClure
03/12/2002, 3:28 PM
Im not too sure about Devine reciently, he's been at fault for quite a few goals, especially ones reciently against Longford & UCD. It could have happened against Shels when he dropped a cross but Deccie hacked it away. Also his communication has never been very good with his defenders (it was appoling with Coughlan & the young fella whose name I can never remember but went on a scolership to the States during the summer). He's made some fantastic saves this year though. Team work has to be done on corners and set pieces though.

What a loss Napier is! :(

SÓC
03/12/2002, 3:36 PM
Devine is IMO the best keeper in the league, he has to put up with so much crap esp. in away games.

Anyone who was at the Bohs match in Dalymount that I have spoken to has never seen a better goal-keeping display ever, Devine really was playing Bohs on his own that night. Even at home he's had to rescue us a few times due to defensive balls ups.

dalo
03/12/2002, 3:37 PM
also remember gaz and bennett were pretty dreadful aswell. i think the failure of andrews to cut it ( a fact which I find hard to fathom- considering he played pro first team in england) has thrown things considerably.

deccie can't be blamed after all he can't help if keeps getting picked. it is obvious he is well past it though

devine is good but vastly overated. he was pretty poor last year. steve williams is a fine goalkeeper.

personally i prefer mooney

Éanna
03/12/2002, 4:47 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Anyone who was at the Bohs match in Dalymount that I have spoken to has never seen a better goal-keeping display ever,
IMO, that was the best individual display by any player that I have ever seen.

Originally posted by dalo
also remember gaz and bennett were pretty dreadful aswell. i think the failure of andrews to cut it ( a fact which I find hard to fathom- considering he played pro first team in england) has thrown things considerably.
Maybe it´s just cos english football isn´t all sky would like us to believe it is!

deccie can't be blamed after all he can't help if keeps getting picked. it is obvious he is well past it though

Agree.

personally i prefer mooney
I did last season too, but Devine has won me over this year

pete
03/12/2002, 4:53 PM
Devine has plenty of opportunities to prove himslef as the city defense give up a lot of chances.

Seeing Murray organising the defense while playing alongside Deccie in Bray the other month told me everything about Deccie being past it.

Deccie was past it last season although with a thin squad would be useful for city when we really stuck this season. Playing him week in week out is amazing. :eek:

Seen Shel$ goal on tv last night & Deccie was guilty of some major ball watching - when the ball passed through to Geoghan Deccie hadn't a clue where he was...

If Deccie doesn't bring leadership to the team/defense what does he bring?

:confused:

Éanna
03/12/2002, 5:13 PM
Originally posted by pete
If Deccie doesn't bring leadership to the team/defense what does he bring?
Pete, it´s fairly obvious!!!!!!!!!!! I can´t believe you missed this one! :eek:

Deccie gives us.....................
THE HOOF