PDA

View Full Version : Is Geoghegan the Man or isnt he

gufct
22/01/2007, 9:47 AM
Not very clear from the Shels Statement!

bohs til i die
22/01/2007, 9:55 AM
I think he is on a temporary basis but Shels need qualified coach/manager to get a UEFA licence and Geogho isnt even enrolled in a course

Gareth
22/01/2007, 10:12 AM
Was there a statement?

Dodge
22/01/2007, 10:18 AM
Was there a statement?

Didn't see one myself

gufct
22/01/2007, 10:26 AM
Sorry the Shels Spokesmans statement in the papers at the weekend. From reading the shelsweb forum there is a huge amount of ambiguity in Ollies comments to the meeting on friday.

Gareth
22/01/2007, 10:26 AM
Nor I Dodge, I was thinking I had completely missed the boat. Cheers for confirming Dodge.

Gareth
22/01/2007, 10:27 AM
Sorry the Shels Spokesmans statement in the papers at the weekend. From reading the shelsweb forum there is a huge amount of ambiguity in Ollies comments to the meeting on friday.

Who was the Spokesman, and which paper?

gufct
22/01/2007, 10:33 AM
The Star on Saturday and the Indo were the two I saw the spokesman wasnt named Gareth.

Gareth
22/01/2007, 11:17 AM
I know the spokesman wasn't gareth :), because that would render my question a bit odd. I was wondering who put their name to it,, is all. Do you have one?

gufct
22/01/2007, 11:26 AM
no name was attached just Shels Spokesman!!!!!!!!

Gareth
22/01/2007, 11:30 AM
:) The best kind.

LeixlipRed
22/01/2007, 4:29 PM
Shels have no spokesperson other than Ollie. When papers like the Star use the word spokesperson they usually mean rumour or something we made up

gufct
23/01/2007, 8:55 AM
Todays Sun says Geoghegan is having second thoughts and names Olllie as claiming he was getting the job.The more worrying thing is they also say shels upto yesterday evening had not paid the outstanding wages they owe and the PFAI are looking for a transfer embargo to be applied to Shels.

Lim till i die
23/01/2007, 9:12 AM
the PFAI are looking for a transfer embargo to be applied to Shels.

If this is true and comes to pass would it not mean the club going out of business as I don't think they've enough players to field a team at the minute :confused:

BohsPartisan
23/01/2007, 9:15 AM
An excerpt from Emmet Malone's piece in todays Times.

Shelbourne were still on course last night to confirm the appointment of Stephen Geoghegan as their new manager with chief executive Ollie Byrne remarking there were "only one or two minor details remaining to be sorted out".

Geoghegan has himself suggested there are issues outstanding in relation to the club's finances but both parties appear confident the situation will be resolved in the next few days.

The club has been seeking to replace Pat Fenlon for several weeks and a degree of urgency surrounds the situation given the number of players that have left Tolka Park since the end of last season.

Byrne has dismissed suggestions that Geoghegan, a hugely successful striker during his nine seasons with Shelbourne, is too inexperienced, insisting Fenlon was in a similar situation when he made the transition from player to manager four years ago.

The fact, however, that Geoghegan lacks the Uefa B coaching badge required by managers of clubs entering the qualifying stages of the Champions League has created difficulties for Byrne who will attempt to sidestep the rule by ostensibly handing Jason Donoghue, a coach who has been working with Geoghegan at AUL outfit WFTA (West Finglas Tenants' Association), responsibility for picking the team.

The whole thing - subscription needed (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/sport/2007/0123/1169426770458.html)

Tenderloins
23/01/2007, 9:30 AM
West Finglas Tenants' Association manager picks team for Champions League!

Jerry The Saint
23/01/2007, 10:01 AM

If Geoghegan isn't allowed to do it, it looks like West Finglas Tenant's Assocation U-14s defensive coach will be picking the team.

Still more qualified than Stan though.

BohsFans
23/01/2007, 9:15 PM

you just couldn't make this stuff up! :D

BohsFans
23/01/2007, 9:17 PM
Shels have no spokesperson other than Ollie. When papers like the Star use the word spokesperson they usually mean rumour or something we made up

no, for that they usually say 'an insider' or 'a source'.
Spokesperson means club official.

gufct
24/01/2007, 8:20 AM
Shels look like they are haeding towards a brick wall very fast im afraid.I feel sorry for genuine Shels supporters but they should have stood up to Ollie a long time ago.

We had the exact same situation at Galway over 6 years ago but we have come back a better and stronger club somehow i dont think shels will recover from the latest blow.

GuisaSaigon
24/01/2007, 8:56 AM
According to newstalk this morning it now looks extremely unlikely that Geoghan will be the new manager.

Martinho II
26/01/2007, 5:13 PM
so who will take it? everyone that ruled themselves out first time around are more than likely in again!

BohsPartisan
26/01/2007, 5:18 PM
Well according to today's Mirror, Flood is ligning up Mathews again.

monkey magic
26/01/2007, 5:28 PM
Well according to today's Mirror, Flood is ligning up Mathews again.

thats the word in the indo aswell