PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos?

jorge
21/01/2007, 8:54 PM
Does anyone here have one or is considering getting one?
Whats the opinion on them generally?
Where would be the best/safest place to get it in Dublin?

Cheers.Im full of questions these days:D .

3 Heroes
22/01/2007, 1:13 AM
Got 3, each one hurts more than the previous. If you do decide put a lot of thought into it....

Magicme
22/01/2007, 8:25 AM
Have been thinking of getting a flower head done on top of my scar on my ankle so that it looks like a flower and stem but was told that 1. the ankle is the sorest place, 2. that you cant get a tattoo on a scar. Does anyone know if they are true??

Pauro 76
22/01/2007, 9:02 AM
tramp stamps. ;) ah no im ok with them generally, wouldnt get one myself, getting far too old. Id go as far as one or two on a girl but any more is pushing it. The worst one ive ever seen, is the kn@ackery heart on the arm, Anto loves Britneeeeey or something....

paul_oshea
22/01/2007, 9:10 AM
ya tramp stamps, first heard that in the states, for the lower back on women. thought it very funny when i heard it.

tetsujin1979
22/01/2007, 9:22 AM
ya tramp stamps, first heard that in the states, for the lower back on women. thought it very funny when i heard it.

I've heard tattoos on a woman's lower back also referred to as "ass antlers"!

Kingdom
22/01/2007, 9:29 AM
I have three. And I don't believe one hurts more than the next. I've a Celtic symbol on my right breast, a scorpion of my left shoulder blade, my wife's name is on the right arm.
I'm getting one onto my left breast in the next few weeks.

The Zulu tattoo parlour in Temple BAr is good. Boards.ie have a good informed section on tattooing and the pros and cons.

paul_oshea
22/01/2007, 9:34 AM
Kingdom i wouldn't have put you down as one for tatoos!!! :D

Kingdom
22/01/2007, 9:47 AM
Kingdom i wouldn't have put you down as one for tatoos!!! :D

Why is that Paul? I got my first one @ 19, didn't really plan on it, my mate was getting a barcode on his arm, but was only 17 so I went in as guardian. The tattoist did the job and asked my mate what did he want for the 'code' so my mate says 'my date of birth'. The tattoist was halfways through and just ****ed himself laughing realising my mate was underage. Got one done then and I tell you what, they're addictive.

Magicme
22/01/2007, 10:22 AM
Am not mad about them, but kinda always wanted one for the whole rebellion thing as a teenager, but talked myself out of it thinking how yuck it will look when am old and even wrinklier, but since the scar on my ankle is so nasty I would like to improve it.

paul_oshea
22/01/2007, 11:48 AM
Why is that Paul?

I don't know, you are from kerry maybe, they are banned down there aren't they :P

in terms of women getting them, i always thought ya, if its a bird you are gonna shag on a one nighter then fire ahead, it would be nice, but an actual girl that would eventually become your girlfriend or whatever, not a chance, there is something in my mind at least ( and i know i speak for most of the lads i have asked about this also ) that if you see a girl with one on her lower back, you instinctively go, oh id .... oh i bet ye she loves it....etc etc I think it looks kinda sluttish. To add to magicme, think 10 years time when your skin gets wrinkly and it pulls apart and stuff, i think it would look hideous. I know you can remove it but its a lot of money to do so!!!

anto1208
22/01/2007, 1:03 PM
There are two kind of people that get a tattoo the first get one for themselves normally something small personal and hidden so that only them and a partner would know about it .

the others are the people who get tats for other people ( ie to look cool ) normally on fore arm, neck, face, hand etc normally they are big stupid looking things that have no meaning to them other than it looks cool .( there is a guy in limerick who got an album cover on his back its massive some crap metal band to make it worse ).

there are very tacky ones like chinese writting , barcodes , spiderswebs, cut here ---------- etc .

anto1208
22/01/2007, 1:10 PM
Have been thinking of getting a flower head done on top of my scar on my ankle so that it looks like a flower and stem but was told that 1. the ankle is the sorest place, 2. that you cant get a tattoo on a scar. Does anyone know if they are true??

it will be sore the more "meat" you have around the area the less pain you feel , top of the arm is the least painfull across anwhere where the bone is close to the skin will be sore . remember your stabbing your skin over and over with little needles but its very barable ( a pain killing injection for the dentist is worse ) . take 2 strong pain killers and you wont feel a thing .

you can tat over a scar depending on the scar some places wont do it but tats are basically scar tissue .so there is a possibility that the tat wont come out properly if your scarrign over an old scar but from the sounds of things it should be ok .

If you have even a tiny doubt dont do it

Beavis
22/01/2007, 1:42 PM
I got one on the shoulder blade when I was 17. I like having it and its in the right place and shape from far away, but up close the detail embarrassing (it didnt come out of the booklets, I had them draw me up something specific and being young and eager, I went for it despite reservations about the quality of the artwork) I always cover it on hot days or when changing, with the tee-shirt slung over the left shoulder.

I've looked at having it redrawn before but all the places I went to in town were reluctant. Does anyone know the procedure for having them redone ie is it possible to have bad art turned into something decent? and can anyone recommend a good place for it.

paul_oshea
22/01/2007, 1:49 PM
thanks anto for that, i didnt know there were only 2 types of people who got tattoos, cheers for the heads-up!

anto1208
22/01/2007, 2:45 PM
I got one on the shoulder blade when I was 17. I like having it and its in the right place and shape from far away, but up close the detail embarrassing (it didnt come out of the booklets, I had them draw me up something specific and being young and eager, I went for it despite reservations about the quality of the artwork) I always cover it on hot days or when changing, with the tee-shirt slung over the left shoulder.

I've looked at having it redrawn before but all the places I went to in town were reluctant. Does anyone know the procedure for having them redone ie is it possible to have bad art turned into something decent? and can anyone recommend a good place for it.

it depends on the tat itself , colour etc they can be covered over with a darker colour or even shaded out but it can take a few goes and doesnt always work . A good artist should be able to do something with it .

Try Danny Bulmans in limerick prob the best in the country .

anto1208
22/01/2007, 2:46 PM
thanks anto for that, i didnt know there were only 2 types of people who got tattoos, cheers for the heads-up!

i take it your in the second catagory :D

Beavis
22/01/2007, 6:37 PM
it depends on the tat itself , colour etc they can be covered over with a darker colour or even shaded out but it can take a few goes and doesnt always work . A good artist should be able to do something with it .

Thanks a lot, I'll check him out. I'd be defo willing to go down to get a good job but have to wait until the footy season is over because I was afraid to fall on it for a couple of weeks the last time.

SaucyJack
22/01/2007, 6:54 PM

from SNL

http://www.burntpickle.com/videos/tramp-stamp-remover/

Magicme
22/01/2007, 8:12 PM
The fear of it being wrinkling and disgusting is what has held me back big time.

Babysis
22/01/2007, 8:16 PM
I got a small Celtic knot done just after I turned 18.

It was a big decision but I thought it through alot and I dont regret getting it done. But I wouldnt get another. Opted for a piercing instead, like the fact they arent permanent :)

paul_oshea
23/01/2007, 9:01 AM
Saucyjack thats cool, very funny :D

Monkfish
25/01/2007, 4:21 AM

Expensive though, 80 pounds (1999) for the Celtic crest, got it done in vinnys (in Galway now?) for 35, came out perfect. Also, didnt like the fact he had 2 pages of Rangers tatoos and no Celtic! Still if your getting a tatoo, better to pay for quality.

Kingdom
25/01/2007, 7:10 AM
Speaking of tacky tattoos ! a friend of mine got the guarenteed Irish symbol on his upper arm. Actually looked well!
I've a picture of the missus with our new young fella that I hope to get done on my shoulder sometime in the next few weeks. should be cheap!

First
25/01/2007, 8:17 AM
I got a small Celtic knot done just after I turned 18.

It was a big decision but I thought it through alot and I dont regret getting it done. But I wouldnt get another. Opted for a piercing instead, like the fact they arent permanent :)

Where and where?;)

Block G Raptor
25/01/2007, 7:08 PM
Ive 3
A celtic Cross on my left breast my daughters name and D.O.B in a celtic banner above and below the cross (Done seperately so counts as two)
and BFC with the celtic design from the top of teh bohs crest above it on my upper left arm
All balck ink dont like colour on tatoos it fades after about ten years and looks sh!T

I'm getting a raptor done on my right shoulder in a few weeks

dancinpants
25/01/2007, 7:27 PM
Good thing about the black tatts is that when they fade they are easy and quick to touch up. Over exposure to the sun causes tattoos to fade and "bleed" alot quicker. As for the pain: sore to begin with but you soon get accustomed to it. The upper inner arm stings like a ****er :eek:

3 Heroes
26/01/2007, 7:38 PM
Good thing about the black tatts is that when they fade they are easy and quick to touch up. Over exposure to the sun causes tattoos to fade and "bleed" alot quicker. As for the pain: sore to begin with but you soon get accustomed to it. The upper inner arm stings like a ****er :eek:
Tell me about it, I couldn't believe the pain:eek: