PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins Joining Coventry

finnpark
21/01/2007, 8:41 PM
Stephen Kenny has snapped up Colin Hawkins to play in next season's Scottish 2nd Division. What a crap move for any pro footballer

Aaron
21/01/2007, 9:41 PM
Source? Link?

finnpark
21/01/2007, 9:48 PM
Source? Link?

No link. He was sitting beside their Chairman today at the Rangers match finalising his move.

BohsFans
21/01/2007, 10:18 PM
No link. He was sitting beside their Chairman today at the Rangers match finalising his move.

Saw that on TV today, it was the director of football he was sitting beside.

They never said anything about him signing for them, plus it would be the Scots 1st div.

A face
22/01/2007, 12:24 AM
Stephen Kenny has snapped up Colin Hawkins to play in next season's Scottish 2nd Division. What a crap move for any pro footballer

No, i'd say Doncaster Rovers would be a worse move to be honest.

pete
22/01/2007, 11:52 AM
It depends on what his options were. Obviously staying at Shels was a non-runner & not sure if any other clubs looking at him?

Dunfirmline are really poor but Kenny does seem to have improved them. Maybe a good few months might get Hawkins a glamour move to Falkirk?

dcfcsteve
22/01/2007, 11:53 AM
It depends on what his options were. Obviously staying at Shels was a non-runner & not sure if any other clubs looking at him?

City were mentioned in every article as being after his signature

galwayhoop
22/01/2007, 1:12 PM
said he could be going back to coventry city today in 'The Star'

Raheny Red
22/01/2007, 5:27 PM
said he could be going back to coventry city today in 'The Star'

As did a number rags this morning.

gufct
23/01/2007, 8:52 AM
Heard last night he has signed for Coventry. Galway were in for him but 10 years later hes back where he started.

Lim till i die
23/01/2007, 9:03 AM
Heard last night he has signed for Coventry. Galway were in for him but 10 years later hes back where he started.

*Waits patiently for an Eircom Premier is better than Coventry debate*

Soper
23/01/2007, 10:29 AM
Well, on their performance against Cardiff earlier in the season, it's close...

nui-harp
23/01/2007, 12:43 PM

Dunfirmline are really poor but Kenny does seem to have improved them. Maybe a good few months might get Hawkins a glamour move to Falkirk?

Is this your idea of getting a dig at a guy who plays pro football.....surely something u would love to do yes?? So wat if he did move to Falkirk....would u say no to them??

Rory H
23/01/2007, 12:50 PM
saying no to playing in front of bigger crowds..playing in front of 50,000 fans a couple of times a season...playing for better run clubs...

Soper
23/01/2007, 12:52 PM
If he wanted to do stuff infront of big crowds, then he could have just become a Professional streaker

pete
23/01/2007, 1:32 PM
If he wanted to do stuff infront of big crowds, then he could have just become a Professional streaker

Good one. :D

As i said it depends on his options. Dunfirmline wonlt pay any more money (figure of 2k euro a week quoted for top Hibs & Falkirk players in sunday paper) than the eL & chances of gaining exposure to make a bigger move are unlikely.

hoop1002
23/01/2007, 2:24 PM
that'd be a good move for him cuz closest he's gonna get to big football outside de EL

wws
23/01/2007, 3:01 PM
Good one. :D

As i said it depends on his options. Dunfirmline wonlt pay any more money (figure of 2k euro a week quoted for top Hibs & Falkirk players in sunday paper) than the eL & chances of gaining exposure to make a bigger move are unlikely.

Richie Baker turned down Motherwell - they were offering him less than he was "getting" at shels

Dodge
23/01/2007, 3:06 PM
Richie Baker turned down Motherwell - they were offering him less than he was "getting" at shels

Heard he was on trial but they didn't offer him a deal.

Sumac
23/01/2007, 3:33 PM
How does the average pay at the top el clubs compare to the likes of Hibs, Motherwell etc?

wws
23/01/2007, 3:44 PM
Heard he was on trial but they didn't offer him a deal.

offered him money - less than he was gettin here

course if you bothered to turn up for astro you would have known all this,,,, :D

Dodge
23/01/2007, 6:49 PM
:D stoopid 24 hour bug

gufct
24/01/2007, 8:22 AM
As I posted y'day Colin Hawkins will be signing for Coventry today almost 10 years exactly from when Gordon Strachan released him.

galwayhoop
24/01/2007, 9:30 AM

anthony stokes moved to sunderland after his short time (on loan) at falkirk, he could have gone to (premiership) side charlton or celtic (in last 16 of CL) and would of been pretty sure at starting at any of these clubs. he was front and back page news in this country for nearly a full week and is now earning over €1,000,000 per annum!

what eL player has made a direct move of higher profile than this?

pete
24/01/2007, 10:27 AM
Coventry is undoubtedly a better move for Hawkins as the SPL is muck.

Jamjar
24/01/2007, 10:36 AM

If SPL is muck, how come Celtic and Rangers are still competing in Europe (for another few weeks anyway). Coventry aren't too far off relegation places, so maybe he'll be playing in English league 1 soon.

Soper
24/01/2007, 10:38 AM
Is Hawkins going to Celtic or Rangers?

Jamjar
24/01/2007, 10:44 AM
Is Hawkins going to Celtic or Rangers?

No, coventry - who are 16th or something in english championship, not too far off relegation places.

Lim till i die
24/01/2007, 11:15 AM

Large swathes of the English Championship are absolute rubbish aswell

pete
24/01/2007, 12:12 PM
Large swathes of the English Championship are absolute rubbish aswell

I agree but its still better than 80% of the SPL.

Ceirtlis
24/01/2007, 12:40 PM
Id count the bottom six in the spl after its split as english league one standard at the very best. Chris Killen is the top scorer over there and they signed him from Oldham where he was no more than a good player.

pete
24/01/2007, 1:18 PM
Id count the bottom six in the spl after its split as english league one standard at the very best.

I agree. SPL like half English Champions & half League One standard..

Fingal hoop
26/01/2007, 11:25 AM
Richie Baker got offered less at Motherwell than he did at Shels - all that shows is that Motherwell are financially prudent

Fingal hoop
26/01/2007, 11:28 AM
A lot of people here seem quite jealous of the SPL - is it the crowds,the facilities,the fact that Scotland has a proper football culture ,#

Wonder what it is -everytime a player here tries to better himself by joining the SPL people say bad move - if its such a bad move why do players keep doing it & spotty little teenagers on here give out about it

wws
26/01/2007, 11:33 AM
A lot of people here seem quite jealous of the SPL - is it the crowds,the facilities,the fact that Scotland has a proper football culture ,#

Wonder what it is -everytime a player here tries to better himself by joining the SPL people say bad move - if its such a bad move why do players keep doing it & spotty little teenagers on here give out about it

oh for crying out loud

the humanity

spot the Seltic fan

or is it spotty the seltic fan

razor
26/01/2007, 11:41 AM
Richie Baker got offered less at Motherwell than he did at Shels - all that shows is that Motherwell are financially prudentOr that Shels weren't.

BrayUnknowns
26/01/2007, 12:00 PM
How does the average pay at the top el clubs compare to the likes of Hibs, Motherwell etc?

Out side the top 3 wages are hugely different, i know the likes of Dundees Utd offer there top players 2k sterling a week.

lofty9
26/01/2007, 12:24 PM
Out side the top 3 wages are hugely different, i know the likes of Dundees Utd offer there top players 2k sterling a week.

And Fenlon indicated in todays Derry Journal that Dillon could have got more money staying in Ireland with Derry. The players are going to the SPL and England as they see it as a step up in terms of a challenge. No one could blame them - I would be having a right go at Hawkins if he turned down Coventry in favour of staying here.

gustavo
26/01/2007, 12:30 PM
At least its a step onwards from a few years ago , I would hope that none of our top players would leave here for League 2 English sides.

pete
26/01/2007, 1:00 PM
The players are going to the SPL and England as they see it as a step up in terms of a challenge.

I think that is the perception. I also feel players believe it will offer them better exposure than the eL for a bigger move which remains to be seen. Players leaving Shels will also feel better chance of financial security in the SPL. If Staunton calls up an eL player to his next squad based on a few SPL games could kill over the eL for good...

Jamjar
26/01/2007, 3:52 PM
They are also going to england/spl for security. There was a link to an article about lads going to spl on some thread here (how vague is that, just couldn't be ársed looking for the particular thread), but one of the reasons players were leaving eircom league was the security of knowing they would get their wages every week over yonder.

Shelsman
26/01/2007, 4:58 PM
The great thing about all this is that Irish players released by Premiership and Championship clubs in England are now more likely to sign for eL clubs as they know that a move back to the SPL or Championship ( and possibly the Premiership if Bennett signs for Reading ) is not only possible but quite likely if you excel in the Eircom League.

Irish clubs sign professionally trained footballers for nothing, then sell them back to English and Scottish clubs for a few hundred thousand ( eventually more and more ) quid. Sounds like a good deal to me. Better still, it also means that players might sign for clubs here initially before moving across the water e.g. Kevin Doyle.

Hopefully lots of Irish players released in Britain will sign for eL clubs ( provided they're good players ) rather than play in the Coca-Cola League 1 and 2, so there'll be a steady flow of players who cost nothing in transfer fees into the league and a transfers out every season to Britain where eL clubs will make money and be more viable financially.

Raheny Red
27/01/2007, 1:43 PM
Rumour going around that, Baker (Drogs), Harris (Pars) and Scouse (Derry) and all left the club!

Aaron
27/01/2007, 1:51 PM
Rumour going around that, Baker (Drogs), Harris (Pars) and Scouse (Derry) and all left the club!

Well the rumour about Rogers up here is pretty strong, supposed to have came up last nite to complete his move, nothin on it since tho

TommyT
28/01/2007, 11:46 PM
The great thing about all this is that Irish players released by Premiership and Championship clubs in England are now more likely to sign for eL clubs as they know that a move back to the SPL or Championship ( and possibly the Premiership if Bennett signs for Reading ) is not only possible but quite likely if you excel in the Eircom League.

Optimistic but hopefully a good call. One thing though our clubs should be less picky about accepting offers for players they got for nothing