PDA

View Full Version : How about some really Naff Irish Acts

CollegeTillIDie
21/01/2007, 4:12 PM
Here's a start to a list of Irish acts now considered Naff by the great unwashed public....

CHRIS DE BURGH

Lionel Ritchie
21/01/2007, 4:29 PM
Well I've always said there was only ever one truly foxy chick in Bewitched ...and it will always be Elizabeth Montgomery.

Those twins hit every single branch ..either that or spent the first half of their teens breaking into cars -using their faces as mallets.

Neish
21/01/2007, 5:41 PM
Buffalo G have to be the worst. They were on Adam and Joe once, A&J told them they would play out the show when it came to the end they cut them off and played the credits over them.:D

Others that spring to mind:
The Revs
OTT
Six

stann
22/01/2007, 10:55 AM
Foster & Allen doing Bunch Of Thyme on Top of the Pops must be close to topping any list.
Fúck that was awful!
Naffest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen Sonny Knowles! :D

Lim till i die
22/01/2007, 12:09 PM
Snow Patrol are getting there trust me
U2 are pretty damn naff aswell now that I think of it

Pauro 76
22/01/2007, 1:20 PM
Foster & Allen doing Bunch Of Thyme on Top of the Pops must be close to topping any list.
Fúck that was awful!
Naffest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen Sonny Knowles! :D

Loved the interview on Podge & Rodge. "But seriously now. Have youse no f*cking shame!"

The Carter Twins were shocking. That debut video for Six was a total cheesefest. Some other pop band Dove were quite awful too. Murdered Crowded House's Dont Dream Its Over.

jebus
22/01/2007, 1:30 PM
Hand on heart that video for Six's debut single was the naffiest thing I've seen since my neighbour used to go around dressed in a NAFF t-shirt and NAFF jacket in July.

But I'm with LTID that Snow Patrol are quickly catching U2 as Ireland's most embaressing export

Paddyfield
22/01/2007, 7:51 PM
Sorry for dragging another musical topic back to the 1980s but there was a really naff (I say "sh!te) band with a naff name who had naff songs.

There were called Light A Big Fire and they once had a single called C.I.A. which boasts the beautiful lyrics:

"...If I was the CIA,
I would kill everyone,
Who got in my way..."

Look at them here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fMwFglydgU

CollegeTillIDie
22/01/2007, 8:04 PM
Vocalist/lyricist Tom McLaughlin of Light a Big Fire... now writes Stageplays. And I asked for people's views on some of the Naffest Irish bands ever, and your opinion is welcome ! :D

CollegeTillIDie
22/01/2007, 8:07 PM
B*witched
Those twins hit every single branch ..either that or spent the first half of their teens breaking into cars -using their faces as mallets.

You mean Shane Lynch's sisters? I thought Lynsey what's her face was cute. Their music was godawful and your wan from Newbridge was actually 2 years older than she let on to be.

SligoBrewer
22/01/2007, 8:23 PM
u2.. without a shadow of a doubt

Wolfie
22/01/2007, 9:04 PM
...... a list of Irish acts now considered Naff by the great unwashed public....

Bewitched - for the sheer tragi / comic tour de force that was the "Ce'st la vie" video and the spoken asides in the song "What are ye loike" and "I foight like me Da as well". :eek:

Boyzone - the cringeworthy / shambolic / hilarious first appearance on the Late Late Show. Gay Byrne asked each of "the Band" what instrument they played. It seemed about 3 of them said they played the Piano. A keyboarding extravaganza beckoned. That was before the infamous dance routine kicked off!! :D

Daniel O'Donnell - specifically for the change of musical direction away from Country and the hardcore foray into 50's rock and roll standards a few years ago. They said it would never work - they were right! :D

The Cranberries - Maybe some of the great unwashed disagree but when the Cranberries got political - the lyrics were mortifiying.

Pauro 76
23/01/2007, 8:31 AM
Boyzone - the cringeworthy / shambolic / hilarious first appearance on the Late Late Show. Gay Byrne asked each of "the Band" what instrument they played. It seemed about 3 of them said they played the Piano. A keyboarding extravaganza beckoned. That was before the infamous dance routine kicked off!! :D

Pure comedy that was! I remember watching the Late Late at the time, and it was one of the funniest things Ive ever witnessed. They were announced as ireland's answer to "Take That". Thought it was a delibarate comedy sketch at the time! :D

Lionel Ritchie
23/01/2007, 11:03 AM
Pure comedy that was! I remember watching the Late Late at the time, and it was one of the funniest things Ive ever witnessed. They were announced as ireland's answer to "Take That". Thought it was a delibarate comedy sketch at the time! :D

I still maintain it was a disgrace that they were on the late late show that night and the producer should have been sacked for it. I've made the point on another thread that at around the same time The Cranberries had to get to no.8 in the US Billboard chart to get a feature like that on one of our national broadcasters flagship programmes.
Meanwhile these tosspots are rounded up from the front of a courthouse somewhere and parachuted in for an advert you simply couldn't pay for. Evidence of all that's bad in RTE.
A disgrace I say again -and a pox on the fcuker who facilitated it.

BohsPartisan
23/01/2007, 11:13 AM
Yip. Obviously Louis was greasing the producer's palm and as well as Boyzone's chests!

Wolfie
23/01/2007, 11:43 AM
...... a list of Irish acts now considered Naff by the great unwashed public....

Brush Sheils!!

endabob1
23/01/2007, 11:59 AM
Can't believe no-one has mentioned the Sawdoctors yet

Pauro 76
23/01/2007, 12:05 PM
Werent Shane Lynch's other sister in another band, FAB or something, they all had piercings. Not one attractive wan amongst them. Juniper's "Weatherman" was an awful one, going back a few years. It makes me cringe when guidebooks go on about Ireland's musical heritage. And U2, Cranberries, Sinead O'Connor and Westlife, jumbled in as if they mean something to anyone.

Marked Man
23/01/2007, 3:11 PM
Sorry for dragging another musical topic back to the 1980s but there was a really naff (I say "sh!te) band with a naff name who had naff songs.

There were called Light A Big Fire and they once had a single called C.I.A. which boasts the beautiful lyrics:

"...If I was the CIA,
I would kill everyone,
Who got in my way..."

Look at them here...

Light a big fire were a good band. Saw them live a number of times and they always put on a good show.

Quoting lyrics out of context is a bit of a cheap shot too. Generally speaking, rock lyrics read like crap without the music (hardly surprising as most of them are written by 17-25 year old blokes).

Neish
23/01/2007, 3:18 PM
Werent Shane Lynch's other sister in another band,

Yeah I think that was Buffalo G, as I mentioned above absolutely awful
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0lOjOOOGMc

Lionel Ritchie
23/01/2007, 3:28 PM
Werent Shane Lynch's other sister in another band, FAB or something, they all had piercings. Not one attractive wan amongst them. Juniper's "Weatherman" was an awful one, going back a few years. It makes me cringe when guidebooks go on about Ireland's musical heritage. And U2, Cranberries, Sinead O'Connor and Westlife, jumbled in as if they mean something to anyone.

Indeed. Met them at a do in Belfast ...when I say "met" I mean crept along the wall on opposite side of room out of fear they'd mug me, stick a nail-file to my throat and demand I hand over my mobile phone.

If they'd girl-bands in munchkin land they might look like this lot. Not enough Ks', Is', Cs', Es' or Ds' in KICKED to do justice to them.

As for the younger Lynch wan in Buffalo G and the ...entity with her. Merciful fcuk!!!

...I wonder was Mammy Lynch always a Lynch. I strongly suspect so.

Jamjar
23/01/2007, 3:42 PM
I just can't understand the popularity of the following: the Frames, Damien Rice, Paddy Casey and all those other earnest singer/song writers. They all come across as soulless and dull as ditch (or is it dish) water. Try plugging in the fúcking guitar, thats what electricty is for.

Lionel Ritchie
23/01/2007, 3:47 PM
I just can't understand the popularity of the following: the Frames, Damien Rice, Paddy Casey and all those other earnest singer/song writers. They all come across as soulless and dull as ditch (or is it dish) water. Try plugging in the fúcking guitar, thats what electricty is for.

Plug Rice in and you get Snow Patrol. They're actually the same interchangable persona y'know.

Power On -Lightbody
Power Off -Rice
Power On -Lightbody
Power Off -Rice
Power On -Lightbody
Power Off -Rice
Diabetics be warned -they're just too NICE

Pauro 76
23/01/2007, 5:04 PM
The Thrills didnt turn out to be too great, did they? a few decent singles, one half ok album. that's it.

Paddyfield
23/01/2007, 8:06 PM
Light a big fire were a good band. Saw them live a number of times and they always put on a good show.

Quoting lyrics out of context is a bit of a cheap shot too. Generally speaking, rock lyrics read like crap without the music (hardly surprising as most of them are written by 17-25 year old blokes).

I saw LABF in The Warwick in Galway in the mid/late 80's too. To be fair, the gig attracted a decent sized crowd but they just didn't float my boat. I only picked on those lyrics as they epitomized LABF for me and I cannot recall a line from any other song despite massive airplay on RTE radio.

You may think that it was "a cheap shot" for me to quote lyrics but as lyrics go, it was really pathetic.

highlight100
23/01/2007, 8:18 PM
George Murphy (what ever happend to him?)

Wolfie
23/01/2007, 10:32 PM

Whinging, angst ridden bed wetters all.

David Gray is the most original and talented of the genre but he's created a monster........and its a ruddy caterwauling, bed wetting, Leviathan.

OK Damien, Paddy etc all - I get it - you're a tortured soul - now **** OFF!!

Dr.Nightdub
23/01/2007, 10:36 PM

"...If I was the CIA,
I would kill everyone,
Who got in my way..."

Look at them here...

WAR, does Method-ist visit Foot.ie? ;)

Lionel Ritchie
24/01/2007, 11:55 AM
Whinging, angst ridden bed wetters all.

David Gray is the most original and talented of the genre but he's created a monster........and its a ruddy caterwauling, bed wetting, Leviathan.

OK Damien, Paddy etc all - I get it - you're a tortured soul - now **** OFF!!

David Gray is Welsh. He was merely adopted by us and given a career for the same imponderable reasons Chris Rea was a generation earlier.

Wolfie
24/01/2007, 6:56 PM
David Gray is Welsh. He was merely adopted by us and given a career for the same imponderable reasons Chris Rea was a generation earlier.

Yeah, knew he was Welsh alright. Mentioned him in the sense that his success did influence and pave the way for a raft of Irish "sensitive" artists that have a tendency to melt the head.

David Gray (a Welshman) has written some good tunes in fairness to him.

Wolfie
24/01/2007, 7:15 PM

One word: Dana

CollegeTillIDie
26/01/2007, 9:09 PM
We have all kinds of everything in Naffdom :D

DmanDmythDledge
27/01/2007, 9:13 PM
u2.. without a shadow of a doubt
Yeah sure they've never done anything...:rolleyes:

Threads like this are almost always stupid because it's just people's opinions.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2007, 8:45 AM
The Thrills didnt turn out to be too great, did they? a few decent singles, one half ok album. that's it.

What did you expect? How can a bunch of Smug well off Southsiders have anything in their life experience worth writing songs about? Once they ran out of places they visited on their holidays in California to write about they were fecked.

And they 'd never have street cred... :D

SligoBrewer
28/01/2007, 4:01 PM
Yeah sure they've never done anything...:rolleyes:

i think they are the biggest load of overrated tosh

Wolfie
29/01/2007, 1:01 PM

A light-hearted thread with some harmless nonsense thrown in - no harm from time to time.

A variety of topics with varying degrees of seriousness add to the forum and cater for everyone.

Opinions are so over-rated afterall.

Lets just get on with excitement of the Facts and Stats!!

DvB
30/01/2007, 9:26 AM
WAR, does Method-ist visit Foot.ie? ;)

I think he may well when this link is sent to him :D

Koh