PDA

View Full Version : Any Hopes Of Hosting Euro Champs With New Stadiums

joe_barry80
21/01/2007, 12:20 AM
Just seen this link got me thinking about Irelands chances of joint hosting a Euro Champs http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stadiairelandim1.jpg Whats the story with 2 stadiums in a city? I don't think it would be aloud. Our bid with Scotland springs to mind. If possible we could Have Dublin, landsdowne and croker. Belfast Maze Prison Site and Ormeau Park site, Limerick Thomond park, Derry, Newly renovated Brandywell. any other suggestions?

p_o_r
21/01/2007, 12:37 AM
Just seen this link got me thinking about Irelands chances of joint hosting a Euro Champs http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stadiairelandim1.jpg Whats the story with 2 stadiums in a city? I don't think it would be aloud. Our bid with Scotland springs to mind. If possible we could Have Dublin, landsdowne and croker. Belfast Maze Prison Site and Ormeau Park site, Limerick Thomond park, Derry, Newly renovated Brandywell. any other suggestions?

Highly unlikely, the only way it would work with would be a joing Scotland (or possibly Wales), Ireland, Northen Ireland bid, using Landsdown and a Belfast ground.
I doubt Croke Park would be availabe. Firstly becuase the changes to the rule currently only allow for soccer usage while Landsdown is being re-built and even if it were to be made avaiable on a more regular basis , June and July are busy time for the Lenister Football and Hurling Championships.

If they are part of a bid again they better make a berrt job if it that the disaster last time

Dazzy
21/01/2007, 2:55 PM
Derry, Newly renovated Brandywell. any other suggestions?

Thats 10 years away imo. hopefully 1:(

theleprechaun
21/01/2007, 5:22 PM
i think that it would be a great idea, sure didn't we do a great job with the ryder cup. a joint bid would be the only way. we would only need 4 stadiums that way and that shouldnt be too hard even if we have to built new ones. like the long term ecomonic benefits would greatll outwiegh the initial cost

elroy
24/01/2007, 10:30 AM
Dream on lads, I gave up on this a good while ago. We would have at best Croker, LR and Thomond. We would not have use of any stadium in the north unless they were part of the bid. As a soccer nation we dont have a stadium at the moment so cant imagine the fai/gov building a further stadium (to LR) just for a one month tournament.

galwayhoop
24/01/2007, 10:53 AM
also AFAIK stadiums have to be over 35,000 all seated to get UEFA 4 star rating. is thomond not going to be around 27k? and is that all seated - i assume it is.

that would leave 2 stadia - LDR & CP - in the country and one of which we probable wouldn't get permission for. unless abbotstown & eircom Park did a lazarus it ain't happening

EalingGreen
25/01/2007, 8:16 PM
i think that it would be a great idea, sure didn't we do a great job with the ryder cup.

I dunno, I don't think you could play it at the K Club. The greens would be OK, even the fairways at a pinch, but you couldn't expect the likes of Thierry Henry to play through the rough...;)