PDA

View Full Version : Athlone Town 1 - 2 Kildare County

atfconline
29/11/2002, 10:15 PM
Athlone have slipped into the second re-election place after defeat against Kildare County at Saint Mel's Park last night, 29th November 2002.

In a fairly even game, Athlone can count themselves very unlucky not to come away from the game without at least one point. Kildare had the upperhand in the early exchanges, without having any clear cut chances. They took the lead however from the penalty spot on 36 minutes. Clearing the ball out of the box, Town defender Jan Fitzell was adjudged to have pulled the shirt of County striker, Keith O'Connor. Ex-Manchester United Youths goalkeeper David Moran, starting his first game for Athlone, made an excellent save, but O'Connor was on hand to put away the rebound. The lead only last 8 minutes however, when Stephen Mullin got his fourth goal of the season, confidently scoring to the top right corner.

The second half started quietly again, Damien Rushe having Town's best chance with a volley from 30 yards out, going just inches over. The young midfielder, starting only the second time this season had a good game patrolling midfield with captain Stephen Kelly. Rushe replaced the suspended Michael Harney, and did enough to earn consideration for inclusion in the next game. While Harney is a very fiery, combative player, hence the suspensions from amassing yellow cards, Rushe is more composed, with a better touch on the ball. Captain Kelly has the best of both worlds. And it was Kelly that had the ball in the back of the net next. After having a number of attacks ruled offside, one attack did make it into the box with a scramble on the County goal-line. Kelly hit home, but his celebration was short lived as Dublin referee Huebert Byrne disallowed the goal for a handball.

Kildare had a number of chances too, the best of which fell to local lad Bryan Byrne. Connecting with a cross from substitute John Ryan, Byrne headed from close range, forcing Moran into an excellent reaction save, parrying the ball onto the bar. Their winning goal came in controversial circumstances in the 82nd minute. Athlone were building up an attack on the right, when the assistant referee on the left flank raised his flag for offside, even though not one Town player was within yards of being offside. Kildare took their free, sending the ball into the town box with Ray Scully giving Moran no chance from close range.

Try as they might, Athlone couldn't get another equaliser. Athlone were well worth a point, even though they had a number of players missing. Des Hope made his debut in the centre of defence, with Moran starting for the first time in goal . Striker Mark Sherlock made his debut, replacing goal scorer Mullin in the 90th minute, and Rushe starting his second game of the season in midfield. Even though Town now find themselves in the bottom two after Sligo's victory over Galway, there is no need to panic. Eight game remain, and 24 points are up for grabs. If the injur list settles down and abit of luck goes our way, we should climb up to midtable safety by late January.

Oh No
30/11/2002, 9:35 PM
This was another game we should have won.

Gary and Stephen were very good, the best I've seen them this season, however they were overworked by poor supply because we had no winger on the field, everything came through the middle and were generally high hopeful balls. It was too late when Molloy was introduced. Great goal by Stephen though.

As for the Kildare offsides I was in line for most of them, only one of them when Stephen broke in front of Keeley's dugout was dubious. Kildare worked the offsides well.

atfconline
30/11/2002, 9:53 PM
Looked to be more than just one from where I was. The worst one being when absolutely nobody was near offiside. They take the free and score from it! On the other side of things, there was another time when Devine was about 2 yards offside, running straight by the linesman and got away with it!

Didn't see any handball for our disallowed goal, but a good few others seem to have, so can't really argue too much.

By the way, if anybody on here would like to write match reports, can ye let me know? There is alot lacking from my own, but since Ade stopped doing them, theres not much I can do.

If no one comes forward, I'm just going to post score details etc, and post up the report from the Westmeath or Topic the follwowing Wednesday.

Ash
02/12/2002, 12:26 PM
I though Gary Devine was poor enough on Friday.
The poor fella just cant score anymore, which is a bit worrying for
a striker. Any decent chances he squandered and when he could
have set up 2 goals he tried to shoot himself to get the long
awaited goal.

Stehen took his goal well, but Enda Kenny didnt seem to be
up to the task. Good ball in for Stephens goal but that was about
it. Conor is out for the season, and with Jan leaving in Feb we
need to beef up the defence. Hopefully Gary Byrne can to push
his way into the team. He's a decent player and it's worth giving
him a chance.

All credit tooooo David Moran, had an excellent debut and was
our best player (i.m.h.o.)
When he saved the penalty our defence was as slow at a heavily
pregnant wildebeast getting in to clear the ball!

Linesman was brutal but on the occasional actual off-side that he
called Stephen and Gary were miles off, with Stephens pace he
could easily start 4 or 5 yards behind the last defender and still
make it to the ball 1st

From where I was it didnt look like hand ball for Kellys goal either!
But sure by now I dont think anyone in Mels expects a referee to
give Athlone anything!