PDA

View Full Version : Best all-time City team inc. those who left & improved?

GavinZac
20/01/2007, 3:31 PM
AKA "what might have been"
--------------Devine
Horgan -- Bennett -- Delaney -- Barry Murphy
---O'Callaghan -- Gamble -- O'Donovan
-------Doyle --- Long --- O'Flynn (c. 2003)

obvious very attacking choice, not picking danny murphy but think long has done enough to justify a place.

edit: why don't the [center] tags work? :confused:

pete
20/01/2007, 3:36 PM
-------- Devine
- Horgan Daly Bennet Cronin
- Freyne Barry Gamble Woods
------ Caulfield Morley

IMO can only judge people on how they played when at City.

GavinZac
20/01/2007, 3:37 PM
IMO can only judge people on how they played when at City.
thats pretty much the exact opposite of the point of this thread.

pete
20/01/2007, 3:41 PM
thats pretty much the exact opposite of the point of this thread.

I better rename it so. :D

Take out Barry-Murphy as he has downhill (Bury like...) & maybe Delaney.

harry crumb
20/01/2007, 11:06 PM
--------Biscuits------

napier-----Daly-----Murray------Murphy

Roy
O'Donovan---George---Barry------Cahill

------Doyle----------Morley------

gustavo
20/01/2007, 11:22 PM
So its basically a team of players that are still playing today that have all played for City is what you are looking for?

adamcarr
20/01/2007, 11:29 PM
------------Devine--------------
Hoggie---Bennett--Muzza---Danny
Roy--------Gamble---------Freyne
Flynny--------Doyle---------Caulfield

GavinZac
21/01/2007, 11:40 AM
So its basically a team of players that are still playing today that have all played for City is what you are looking for?

not neccessarily still playing today but the quality has tended to be better recently.

Hitman
21/01/2007, 6:00 PM
Mel Capleton*
Kevin Murray
Robbie Hedderman
Andrew Packer
Denis Behan
(B)Liam O' Brien
Gerald Dobbs
Chidozie Ukoh
Jason Kabia
Noel Hartigan
James Mulligan

Obviously it's difficult to come up with a formation to suit such a rich array of attacking talent.

(*Sadly never got to witness his talent in person, but his legend earns him his place).

GavinZac
22/01/2007, 1:06 AM
Did chidozie actually ever play? wasnt he just a trialist who didnt get picked with Micky Nwankwo getting picked instead?

you've left out ossie lopes :p

Hitman
22/01/2007, 9:08 AM
I was privileged enough to see him play for the under-21's, at the same time as Behan was being employed as a central midfielder. He could head the ball about 30 yards more powerfully than most could kick it is my abiding memory. Of course Monsieur Lopes is a far more worthwhile selection, I can't believe he slipped my mind.

Risteard
22/01/2007, 12:35 PM
-------------------Devine----------------
Daly----Coughlan---Bennett------Delany--
Doyle---Freyne-------Barry-----Gamble---
---George--------Morley or OFlynn-------

Was at the Munich match but not really in a position to judge the earlier players.

Fair_play_boy
27/01/2007, 9:49 AM
. . . Micky Nwankwo getting picked instead . . . Nwankwo still lived in Cork up until recently at least, and may still do for all I know. I wonder if the Cork City set up did not suit him, or was he just talentless?

A face
27/01/2007, 1:15 PM
Nwankwo still lived in Cork up until recently at least, and may still do for all I know. I wonder if the Cork City set up did not suit him, or was he just talentless?

I think Nwankwo might have been better suited under Ricos management. Dolan giving him five minutes at the end in about four games isn't good for any player, pointless really.

Fair_play_boy
01/02/2007, 6:52 PM
Nwankwo still lived in Cork up until recently at least, and may still do for all I know. I wonder if the Cork City set up did not suit him, or was he just talentless?Just bumped into the guy this afternoon. He has just come back from Germany, is living in Mallow, and plays football with a local club.:ball:

pete
01/02/2007, 9:13 PM
Morley or OFlynn-------

Has to be Morley. In fact he would possibly be first player on the team sheet. If he was around now would be in the Ireland squad. True goal poacher.