PDA

View Full Version : Ahern Calls For All-reland League

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sniffer
19/01/2007, 6:07 PM
More here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6280591.stm)Also, this is the 'I' that's missing from the thread title.

passerrby
19/01/2007, 6:11 PM
politicians getting involved in something he knows nothing about.. i hope

BohDiddley
19/01/2007, 6:25 PM
Has to happen sooner or later. Some government funding to make it happen might be an idea.

A face
19/01/2007, 6:31 PM
Great to see it, its absolutely mad when you think of it, two tiny pools of players to make up a national team each and still be expected to qualify for competitions. Its just crazy !!

harpskid
19/01/2007, 6:43 PM
And the response...

The Football Association of Ireland has issued the following statement in response to remarks made by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermot Ahern, TD, at the Soccer Writers’ Association of Ireland Annual Banquet in Dundalk tonight.

Statement

There is already a very high degree of positive co-operation between the Football Association of Ireland and the Irish Football Association and it is growing year by year.

We are already in the third year of the Setanta Sports Cup which is an All-Ireland club competition that expanded from six to eight teams last year and is a huge success.

The respective executive teams from the FAI and the IFA meet regularly to discuss a wide range of areas of mutual interest.

At UEFA level the two associations collaborate for the good of Irish football and we continually assess, with our colleagues in the IFA, every relevant issue that impacts on football on both sides of the border.

The FAI intends continuing to strengthen the co-operation and development links that are already established with the IFA.

ENDS

SligoBrewer
19/01/2007, 6:44 PM
yeah your right.. wouldnt mind david healy..
.......................roy carroll is a better second keeper than paddy kenny

Hibs4Ever
19/01/2007, 7:25 PM
Would take Ivan Sproule in a shot

dancinpants
19/01/2007, 9:37 PM
Would take Ivan Sproule in a shot

:D very funny. :D

I notice on BBC the head of the Norths Supporters Association is claiming this call is only coming now coz the they're higher up the rankings... :rolleyes:

Tazskool
19/01/2007, 9:48 PM
Sorry completly stupid idea...

It would be like suggesting that the English National Team and the Welsh National Team merge.. or Scotland even...

Each country has its own FA, seperate leagues.. so leave it alone!

I am proud of my family background and proud of the Rep of Ireland team and do get very emotional when they play.

I remember vividly when Rep of Ireland played Holland and I was in a bar in Ireland and we won 1-0. When the goal went in it was chaos ... everyone hugging and cheering and screaming.. and when the final whistle went .. well it went nuts!!

I am not for segregation or anything like that.. this is all about football and thats it..

You'd never see an English man cheering for a united English/Welsh team... or an English/Scottish team?

I fail to see how it will benefit the Rep of Ireland team..

Sorry if I offend anyone with my views but I wear my heart on my sleeve and speak my mind.

CollegeTillIDie
19/01/2007, 9:54 PM
Dermot Ahern is a Dundalk fan he has lived near the border. He is also aware of the Dunfield project. SO he uniquely among this government's politicians ACTUALLY does know something and gives a hang about EL football.

OneRedArmy
19/01/2007, 9:57 PM
You'd never see an English man cheering for a united English/Welsh team... or an English/Scottish team?The 36 other sports create the precedent. And the fact that both teams share the name Ireland also gives a hint that it may not be as artificial as you think....

Tazskool
19/01/2007, 10:35 PM
ok they share the name "Ireland" does that mean that further down the line the FA's should merge and there be a huge league of the teams mixed?

Dodge
20/01/2007, 7:57 AM

It would be like suggesting that the English National Team and the Welsh National Team merge.. or Scotland even...

Each country has its own FA, seperate leagues.. so leave it alone!

You'd never see an English man cheering for a united English/Welsh team... or an English/Scottish team?

Wow, talk about a lack of understanding on the Northern situation. Football is the least of the worries about combining anything. Personally I'm all for it. Can't wait for Cork fans to start complaining about a Belfast bias...

Hibs4Ever
20/01/2007, 8:03 AM
:D very funny. :D

I notice on BBC the head of the Norths Supporters Association is claiming this call is only coming now coz the they're higher up the rankings... :rolleyes:

Not supposed to be funny.

JW.
20/01/2007, 11:37 AM
An All-Ireland team won't happen in the near future but an All-Ireland League should happen in my view.

pete
20/01/2007, 12:06 PM
Can't wait for Cork fans to start complaining about a Belfast bias...

Please explain... :confused:

I can see it happening but not as convinced as I was previously about the benefits after seeing the Setanta Cup first hand. I am unconvinced the IL has enough clubs with potential to contribute.

Dodge
20/01/2007, 12:37 PM
Its about marketing. An AIL is infinitely easier to sell to sponsoirs and TV than either league.

The Corkies complaining about Belfast riding them rock solid was a joke pete... Jeeesh...

Mr A
20/01/2007, 1:20 PM
Sounds to me like the AIL is the next overnight cure for people to focus on that will save us from the decline our league has been in for so long. Just like the ten team league (didn't work the first time, let's try it again sure) and summer football (attendances aren't up like we were promised they would be).

Better run clubs, better grounds, better marketing of clubs and league, fewer total fiascos and lots of other unglamourous things and we'll make gradual progress.

The AIL may come, but it's a long, long way off yet as I'd say all but a few clubs in the North would be firmly against it.

pete
20/01/2007, 1:55 PM
The Corkies complaining about Belfast riding them rock solid was a joke pete... Jeeesh...

Too easy. :D

monkey magic
20/01/2007, 1:57 PM
And the response...

in other words, shut up ahern you tool.

an all ireland team? this is just dreaming, never going to happen and should'nt in my opinion.
as for an ail, well, i think its fair to say we need to look at cleaning up our act as regards the state of the clubs before we even explore this avenue, if the leagues were to merge in their respective present states theres absolutely no evidence to suggest it would turn out any better than the two leagues have at present - two poorly run, poorly policed, poorly administered leagues do not equal one super-duper league:ball:

Bomb Landsdowne
20/01/2007, 2:11 PM
There can still be an All Ireland league with two national teams. Dont see why the two subjects are linked so often.

My opinion on the subject would be to invite Linfield Glentoran and maybe Portadown to join our league, not necessarily an All Ireland League. Cant see the likes of Crusaders and co improving things down here.

JW.
20/01/2007, 2:41 PM
As a relatively special case, I'm sure it could happen.

Dodge
20/01/2007, 2:55 PM
There can still be an All Ireland league with two national teams. Dont see why the two subjects are linked so often.

Its a UEFA thing, no national team without a national league (Reson why wales had to start one up about 15 years ago)

My opinion on the subject would be to invite Linfield Glentoran and maybe Portadown to join our league, not necessarily an All Ireland League. Cant see the likes of Crusaders and co improving things down here.
Loads of ****e clubs down here too. It'll end up the best 16 sides in the country regardless of where they're from after a few years anyway.

finnpark
20/01/2007, 3:03 PM
I can't believe people are being negative about this.

You can see why the Gov would want this. There is huge finance being lost. Soccer is a huge part of many economies but we are losing out on that. It would make sense to reduce the number of clubs but improve the standard.

The FAI and IFA will oppose it because their jobs will be at risk.

JW.
20/01/2007, 3:12 PM
It is entirely logical to have an All-Ireland League in my opinion.

crc
20/01/2007, 3:23 PM
you cant have one without the other, one pro league = one national side. simple as that
Not so.
The MLS has teams from both Canada and the US (as does the lower-tier USL) and both maintain seperate national teams.
The A-League likewise has teams from both Australia and New Zealand, who both have seperate national teams.
Liechtenstein has a seperate national team, but all of its clubs play in the Swiss league system.

The stuff about the League of Wales is slightly inacurate. They didn't get a direct order from UEFA. They formed a league because they were of the opinion that their seat on the FIFA ruling council was under threat.

pete
20/01/2007, 3:45 PM
MY views on an All-Ireland coloured by the fact Portadown & Dungannon were 3rd & 4th best. No disrespect as Dungannan have great setup but they are akin to a well run Cobh Ramblers.

crc
20/01/2007, 3:50 PM
they are a home nation and have clout way beyond their size
If any/all of the footie things were joined north and south, they'd still be a home nation. They wouldn't lose any of that. In fact the south would benefit by getting a seat on the IFAB. Northern Unionists are that bothered about organising things on an all-Ireland basis, per se, (see the Protestant churches, or the other sports like Rugby, Cricket or Hockey), but what makes them shriek in horror is the suggestion that they would be 'taken-over' by the south. The Setanta Cup works because the IFA and FAI are equal partners in it.

JW.
20/01/2007, 5:00 PM
Portadown could well make you eat your words in the Setanta Pete. They've been in decent form.

pete
20/01/2007, 5:32 PM
Portadown could well make you eat your words in the Setanta Pete. They've been in decent form.

I'm not disputing that. I was just saying they appear to be even smaller clubs that we already have. Dungannon would never be able to sustain a fully pro team... We might have a chance if can change to 5-a-side :cool:

ger121
20/01/2007, 5:35 PM
Its a UEFA thing, no national team without a national league (Reson why wales had to start one up about 15 years ago)

Liechtenstein have no domestic league so their teams have to play in the Swiss leagues yet they have a national side. So it would seem to me that there is a precedent there to have a national team without a league. I think they get around this by having a domestic cup competition.

Réiteoir
20/01/2007, 6:13 PM
The Liechtenstein FA does however run their own Cup Competition

garyderry
20/01/2007, 8:10 PM
Not so.
The MLS has teams from both Canada and the US (as does the lower-tier USL) and both maintain seperate national teams.
The A-League likewise has teams from both Australia and New Zealand, who both have seperate national teams.
Liechtenstein has a seperate national team, but all of its clubs play in the Swiss league system.

The stuff about the League of Wales is slightly inacurate. They didn't get a direct order from UEFA. They formed a league because they were of the opinion that their seat on the FIFA ruling council was under threat.

A lot of countries around europe have wanted for many many years to force the UK to have one national team as they dont like the fact there are four votes and vote together, no way Uefa (well th majority of voting countries) would sanction a national league with two national teams, they would see it as a first step to on UK team

Thia pressure is why the league of wales was setup, as they felt the fact there was no national league left them as aneasy target.

What happens outside of Uefa politics has anything to do with this.

Im all for one national team and league myself, but cant see it ever happening in my lifetime, unless an ireland league evolved out of the setanta, and Uefa forced one national team down the road. Too many jobs for wasiters at stake on both sides.

wws
20/01/2007, 9:28 PM
Jim Boyce trashed this notion on Final Score tonight

utterly connsigning this idea to the rubbish bin where it belongs

BohsFans
20/01/2007, 9:40 PM
I remember vividly when Rep of Ireland played Holland and I was in a bar in Ireland and we won 1-0.

Stopped reading at that!

We know who you are now. :rolleyes:

Rossi
20/01/2007, 9:51 PM
Dermot is looking for Bertie's job so i think this is just trying to some more support......

crc
20/01/2007, 10:10 PM
This pressure is why the league of wales was setup, as they felt the fact there was no national league left them as aneasy target.But my point was that if there were an AIL, the north wouldn't be 'losing' their league (any more than the south would). They would in fact have a much more vibrant league (the hypothetical AIL) which they would share with the south.

dcfcsteve
20/01/2007, 10:31 PM
Tazskool - no offence mucker, but your argeument here holds less water than a rusty bucket.

How would it ?

Firstly - there are sports where both Wales and Scotland are merged with England : e.g. the Olympics. So you're off the mark right from the start.

Secondly, there are no sports (bar cricket - which is now only a tokenistic measure) where England is merged with only one of Wales or Scotland. Why ? Because they're different cultural, historical and linguistic nations.

Meanwhile - Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are both 'Irish' (on numerous levels, which even ardent Unionists would agree). Both play numerous sports together as a single team. Both used to play football together as one team. Both share a cultural, historical and linguistic tradition - even despite having a sub-group within one of those societies which differs to some extent. None of these is true with regards either Scotland ior Wales individually and Scotland.

So there is no comparison at all there I'm afraid.

I am proud of my family background and proud of the Rep of Ireland team and do get very emotional when they play.

I remember vividly when Rep of Ireland played Holland and I was in a bar in Ireland and we won 1-0. When the goal went in it was chaos ... everyone hugging and cheering and screaming.. and when the final whistle went .. well it went nuts!!

Good for you. Are you suggesting you would no longer feel proud etc if the 2 Irish teams merged into one ? Are you sugesting that the people in that bar in the fireside tale you gave us wouldn't have hugged and cheered and screamed if it was a combined team who'd scored that gol...? :confused: If not - what is your point ? :confused:

I am not for segregation or anything like that.. this is all about football and thats it..

The reason why the teams are separated is because of politics, not football. When it was purely about football (up to 1922), they played as one team. From a purely football point of view, the arguements in favour of a single Irish team massively outweigh those in favour of separation. So any arguement advocating the continued separation of an historically unified team is clearly not just about football.

Of course not. Because it wouldn't make any sense. They are completely separate nations/peoples - culturally, historically and linguisticaly. The Irish are not separate in that way, have only been artifically split into 2 separate political jurisdictions for 80 years, play together in numerous other sports, and have played in a single international team in football in previous times. None of which Wales and England have done.

Open your eyes then. A bigger pool of players to choose from is a blindingly obvious benefit. The Republic would've benefited massively from a few specific players from the NI team at any particular point in time - whether it be George Best, Pat Jennings, Norman Whiteside or David Healy.

Sorry if I offend anyone with my views but I wear my heart on my sleeve and speak my mind.

Sorry if I offend you - but your argument is ill-structured and poorly thought-through, as highlighted above. :)

garyderry
21/01/2007, 1:29 AM
But my point was that if there were an AIL, the north wouldn't be 'losing' their league (any more than the south would). They would in fact have a much more vibrant league (the hypothetical AIL) which they would share with the south.

Its not the league that countries within uefa want abolished, the voting blocks come from national teams, if the teams merged into one league (great if it happens), then the northern ireland national team comes under threat, (note not the repulic of ireland national team, within a sovereign state), and with it a vote. The Uk has FOUR national teams and FOUR votes, with an ireland league, the northern ireland national team would eventually dissappear, which is where Jom Boyce is coming from, (also his job of course)

harry crumb
21/01/2007, 1:34 AM
Listening to Jim Boyce on Radio 1 was pathetic.

He says that nobody wants it and Ahern should stick to the political arena, next comes on Jim Roddy and backs the notion of an All Ireland League.

garyderry
21/01/2007, 12:47 PM
Listening to Jim Boyce on Radio 1 was pathetic.

He says that nobody wants it and Ahern should stick to the political arena, next comes on Jim Roddy and backs the notion of an All Ireland League.

anyone with the interests in sports wanst an all-ireland league, it must be one of the only sports left without being runn on an all-ireland basis,

its boyce thats thats afraid of losing influence over the IL

Buller
21/01/2007, 1:02 PM
the only clubs that we would even want from the north would be linfield, glentoran, and portadown... its up to them to breakaway in the interests of improving their attendences and standards...

Mr A
21/01/2007, 3:11 PM
We're a long way away from the majority of IL clubs or their fans being OK with an AIL, and I suspect a fair few eL clubs would oppose it too.

Expanding the Setanta cup to include more teams would be excellent, but talk of amalgamating the leagues is very premature indeed.

pete
21/01/2007, 3:39 PM
We're a long way away from the majority of IL clubs or their fans being OK with an AIL, and I suspect a fair few eL clubs would oppose it too.

Just like any other country money is the ony way to drive forward. Compare the prize money & tv exposure of the eL & IL & absolutely no competition. However would need to remove a lot of teams from senior football as too many & will be small clubs on both sides of the border that will resist.

CollegeTillIDie
21/01/2007, 4:21 PM
advantages of an All -Ireland League a) easier and more viable to have professional teams in such a set up b) more attractive fixtures
c) if it leads to an All-Ireland international team, it increases the chances of some team from this island being at the final stages of major tournaments with a larger playing pool to choose from ...oh and can Lawrie Sanchez be the manager ? :D

Not Brazil
21/01/2007, 4:45 PM
Jim Boyce trashed this notion on Final Score tonight

utterly connsigning this idea to the rubbish bin where it belongs

Mr Boyce's comments on the matter.

"All politicians, especially those from the south, should keep out of any football affairs in Northern Ireland. This is not the first time Mr Ahern has made comments that have upset people in Northern Ireland. We have excellent relations at football level with the Football Association of Ireland and both sides are perfectly happy with the situation as it now stands. As far as Northern Ireland football is concerned, we will continue to play as Northern Ireland long into the distant future. I'm not prepared to enter into any discussions on the matter"

Embarrassed FAI officials apologised to Mr Boyce at the dinner for Ahern's comments.

TommyT
21/01/2007, 5:48 PM
I'd agree that it should happen, but I'm appalled that Ahern didn't use his speech to be more positive about the game here, maybe citing the player exodus as proof that the league should be treated with more credibillity by the media and sporting public.

Also the BBC report stated this ''Rugby is the most high-profile sport to be organised on a north-south basis, and up to 30 sporting bodies operate in this way'' higher profile than Gaelic Football ???

Here's a novel/crazy idea for a combined league; merge the two leagues then have two league tables, one for prize money/trophies/medals/relegation counting all results, the other for European qualification counting only results between teams from the same association.

crc
21/01/2007, 6:14 PM
Here's a novel/crazy idea for a combined league; merge the two leagues then have two league tables, one for prize money/trophies/medals/relegation counting all results, the other for European qualification counting only results between teams from the same association.
That's a great idea :)

Red&White
21/01/2007, 11:07 PM
I'd agree that it should happen, but I'm appalled that Ahern didn't use his speech to be more positive about the game here, maybe citing the player exodus as proof that the league should be treated with more credibillity by the media and sporting public.

Very true, but at this stage it's a case of "Any publicity..."

David
22/01/2007, 7:09 AM
I am in favour of an AIL should the conditions for it be right but certainly not of a joint national team. However I feel that Ahern with this poorly judged speech has set the possibility of this back years. An AIL and an all Ireland team are two completely separate issues and should be dealt with as such. All Ahern has done is make people both sides of the border defensive at the fear of losing their national team and therefore wary of an AIL.