PDA

View Full Version : Brits at it again...

The Legend
10/07/2001, 12:34 AM
Look at this quote from the Sporting Life!...
(in regard to speculation over a successor to Ferguson)

"By then, the United board will have chosen the man who will replace the Scot - now the most successful manager Britain has ever produced.

With Steve McClaren having departed for Middlesbrough, Irish duo Martin O'Neill and David O'Leary seem the only remaining candidates from the job among what would be regarded as 'home' countries."

...... Typical!

niamh
15/07/2001, 8:05 PM
No one will want that job as he'll be there watching over the new guy's shoulder critising everything he does. United would be better off if he left, which is why I'm happy he's staying :D

Brine
19/07/2001, 11:20 PM
And they gave U2 a Brit award for best contribution to British music. U2 are even worse for accepting it.

Xlex
20/07/2001, 9:36 AM
........................ like it was another opportunity for that spanner Bono to preach Sh*te to the world............

Dan K
21/01/2005, 11:43 PM
And they gave U2 a Brit award for best contribution to British music. U2 are even worse for accepting it.

Depends how you look at it. I just took it as the impact they'd had on the British music industry, rather than them being a great 'British' group.

I've had plenty of 'debates' over a few pints about things like the 'Home' Countries, British & Irish Lions etc, and am usually met with the response of "What's you're problem? We're all the same." :rolleyes:

I've just started calling them German, French or even (shock horror) European to see how they like it. ;)

tricky_colour
22/01/2005, 12:13 AM

As my dad would say, if your a murderer or villan you're Irish, if your
a high achiever you're British.

Longfordian
22/01/2005, 12:14 AM
What possessed you to dig this rather bland thread it must be said, up after three and a half years?..ya can't be doing that or the arguments would never stop around here :D

MariborKev
22/01/2005, 1:23 AM
Argument could be made that with O'Neill being from Norn Iron,

1MickCollins
22/01/2005, 2:30 AM
And let's not forget David O'Leary was born and spent the first 3 years of his life in London town.

Cowboy
22/01/2005, 3:22 AM
interesting tactic, bring up a really old thread at a late hour on a friday night and see who reacts when full of drink :)

Plastic Paddy
22/01/2005, 7:30 AM
Overreacting to innocent posts is normally my job. Still, Celtic weren't mentioned this time :eek: so I can be excused. :o

;) PP

sylvo
22/01/2005, 10:44 AM
Geography is not one of the things they push in ingerliiiiish schools, just Elizabeth Duke catalouge's and smashing up bus shelter studies as well as talking Jamacian as the foreign language classes instead of French or German.

gypsyfella
22/01/2005, 1:39 PM
i was bought an english sporting quiz book in the mid-90's and went straight to one of my favourite sections - cycling..

the first question was 'who was the last Briton to win the Tour De France'...

So knowing no brit had ever won it i figured it was a mistake and they meant stage or something...

But to my eternal horror the answer was none other than Stephen Roche!!!

Jesus H loike!!!

its not even a McGuigan turncoat type issue! amazing...

brine3
22/01/2005, 7:31 PM
Eddy Irvine was alway British when he won races, and Irish when he span off at a corner or went into the wrong pit lane. Same with Coulthard, British when he wins and a Scot when he loses.

But Stephen Roche the last Briton to win the Tour? If I was in that quiz I'd walk out.

blobbyblob
23/01/2005, 12:52 PM
Get over it boys - lifes too short

blobbyblob
23/01/2005, 1:46 PM
Sorry Davros - Im really hung over and didnt have the mental capacity to construct long sentences. Its coming back gradually.

Feckin Brit Plagurists - Stealing our talent for 800 years. Sure if we leave them away with this, where will it end. Theres only one thing for it. We start nominating Brits for Irish awards.....

Pat O' Banton
23/01/2005, 1:51 PM
And let's not forget David O'Leary was born and spent the first 3 years of his life in London town.

Simply going to call comments like this a 'Patrick J' from now on.

Barry McGuigan being the classic example of this, he went into his fight with Stevie Cruz the a British World Featherweight champion and came out an Irish former Featherweight champion. The Brit bit had no rational anyway as he may have had most of his non championship fights in Belfast but was of course from Clones, which, despite Peter Robinson's best efforts is still in the Republic (as far as I'm aware)

{Apparently the said Barry sang a couple of tunes at O' Rafferty's in Wood Green - £1.60 a pint Sunday to Thursday. This isn't just a cheap plug for Riff Raffs it is a true story - okay and a plug for O' Raff's}

blobbyblob
23/01/2005, 2:25 PM
So if he described himself as British, who are we to argue...

Now that would really start confusing the shyte out of them. We should come out as a nation and say were all British. What would they do then. They wouldnt be able to steal our talent and there would be no more poxy Irish boybands. Everyones a winner. Ian Paisley would have a heart attack to think that Gerry and the P(e)acemakers?!?!? were subjects of the Queen

...I'll get onto our Prime Minister, Bertie.

Pat O' Banton
23/01/2005, 2:29 PM
But McGuigan took British citizenship. He fought in the Commonwealth Games for Northern Ireland in 1978, and subsequently fought for and won the British title in 1983. So if he described himself as British, who are we to argue...

Sorry hombre I stand corrected, thats Barry of my Christmas card list :eek: :D

sylvo
23/01/2005, 2:36 PM
Sorry Davros - Im really hung over and didnt have the mental capacity to construct long sentences. Its coming back gradually.

Feckin Brit Plagurists - Stealing our talent for 800 years. Sure if we leave them away with this, where will it end. Theres only one thing for it. We start nominating Brits for Irish awards.....

you may be suffering from a hangover, but thats a top idea, play them at their own game. I like that.

blobbyblob
23/01/2005, 2:47 PM
Under the grandparent rule wouldnt the most of the adult population of ireland be entitled to a British passport.

I nominate Roy Keane to be the first Irish player to publiclly declare that he wants to play for England. We secretly send him to Wembley were he inspects the pitch, declares to be the equivalent of a carpark and cause a worldwide consternation for the English FA and he reveals that Sven and Becks are puddin benders and we would secretly be laughing our arrses off at the same time much like the Bigus Dickus scene in the Life of Brian.

We could also claim that the Life of Brian was a great Irish movie.

blobbyblob
23/01/2005, 3:02 PM
You may well be right........for the sake of our National psyche,let's hope not! :eek:
#

Thats very disturbing - Hangover just got worse

carnstien
23/01/2005, 6:51 PM
Can't believe I just read through 2 pages of that sh!te. This forum is supposed to concern the Irish soccer team, not this kind of political bullsh!t. Honestly, who gives a sh!t?

Pat O' Banton
23/01/2005, 7:10 PM
After the first three or four posts why did you carry on reading :confused:

1MickCollins
23/01/2005, 9:34 PM
Simply going to call comments like this a 'Patrick J' from now on.

Barry McGuigan being the classic example of this, he went into his fight with Stevie Cruz the a British World Featherweight champion and came out an Irish former Featherweight champion. The Brit bit had no rational anyway as he may have had most of his non championship fights in Belfast but was of course from Clones, which, despite Peter Robinson's best efforts is still in the Republic (as far as I'm aware)

{Apparently the said Barry sang a couple of tunes at O' Rafferty's in Wood Green - £1.60 a pint Sunday to Thursday. This isn't just a cheap plug for Riff Raffs it is a true story - okay and a plug for O' Raff's}

If 'Patrick J' = 'tongue in cheek' , knock yourself out OB.

Pat O' Banton
23/01/2005, 11:01 PM
If 'Patrick J' = 'tongue in cheek' , knock yourself out OB.

Ah tounge in cheek, fair enough. :) However you may want use the :rolleyes: which kind of gets across the sarcaism of the point.

brine3
23/01/2005, 11:27 PM
Anyone who was born before the Irish Free State in 1922 was officially born in the UK. This inlcudes all my grandparents and means that I could play for Wales, since it doesn't look like I'm good enough for Ireland. :D

I'll give John Toshack a call.

Cowboy
24/01/2005, 12:11 AM
Anyone who was born before the Irish Free State in 1922 was officially born in the UK. This inlcudes all my grandparents and means that I could play for Wales, since it doesn't look like I'm good enough for Ireland. :D

I'll give John Toshack a call.

what about Scotland or NI :)

Macy
24/01/2005, 9:32 AM
Anyone who was born before the Irish Free State in 1922 was officially born in the UK. This inlcudes all my grandparents and means that I could play for Wales, since it doesn't look like I'm good enough for Ireland.
Actually it's anyone born up to 1948. While it was a Free State, it was still part of the commonwealth. Interesting that this came as a suprise to some on a thread lambasting the brits for not knowing their history.... :D

SÓC
24/01/2005, 9:48 AM
Actually it's anyone born up to 1948. While it was a Free State, it was still part of the commonwealth. Interesting that this came as a suprise to some on a thread lambasting the brits for not knowing their history.... :D

Sure thats right? That would mean that anyone born in Australia today could play for England seeing as they are still in the commonwealth???

I would have though th cut off point would be '22 or '37?

Macy
24/01/2005, 9:56 AM
Sure thats right? That would mean that anyone born in Australia today could play for England seeing as they are still in the commonwealth???

I would have though th cut off point would be '22 or '37?
The cut off was 1948 - when the Free State officially became the Republic. The brits changed the rules subsequent to that to stop the immigration from Africa, the Caribbean, India and Pakistan. They had to make it all the commonwealth, so there wouldn't be accusations of racism, for their racist policy (as there was sod all immigration from Australia and New Zealand).

I'm not sure whether you could get a UK passport based on your parents though, as I don't think it's necessarily automatic with the UK. They have more levels of citizenship than here.

holidaysong
24/01/2005, 12:09 PM
My granny was born in England and my Dad in USA - I have international options all over the place!