PDA

View Full Version : Rovers For Europe

Redie
19/01/2007, 4:06 PM
According to today's Sun Sligo Rovers and St. Pat's have been asked to apply for a European Licence in case Shels go bust and cannot play in Champions League. Appearently they want us to apply and be on 'stand by' in case "any other club runs into difficulty". Who knows, Seanie might have lead us into europe yet.

Red4Eva
19/01/2007, 4:08 PM
that'd be sweet if it wasn't in the sun

Redie
19/01/2007, 4:13 PM
Snobby or what! At least the sun write about Irish soccer!!

Red4Eva
19/01/2007, 4:17 PM
Snobby or what! At least the sun write about Irish soccer!!

i buy the star but anytime i ever read the sun it's all lies lies lies

red bellied
19/01/2007, 4:21 PM
Pats are the first choice if everything at Shels goes pear shaped.

feo123
19/01/2007, 5:20 PM
shouldnt be the case...we finished above them, we should look for a licence......fast!

DmanDmythDledge
19/01/2007, 5:22 PM
shouldnt be the case...we finished above them, we should look for a licence......fast!
Pats would get in because they finished runners up in the cup and Derry would have qualfied for the CL through the league.

Rovers1
19/01/2007, 5:46 PM
Pats would get in because they finished runners up in the cup and Derry would have qualfied for the CL through the league.

AFAIK the champions league places are dtermined by league standings and not cup places, so therefore would Rovers not be in a better position? what about Cork are they not 1st choice or did they get UEFA Cup?

bomber82290
19/01/2007, 5:53 PM
Why Not Just Have A Play Off Between Pats And Us For It Then Let Pats Take The Place

crc
19/01/2007, 5:59 PM
Why Not Just Have A Play Off Between Pats And Us For It Then Let Pats Take The Place
:ball: :D

feo123
19/01/2007, 7:33 PM
that would be class

pineapple stu
19/01/2007, 7:40 PM
AFAIK the champions league places are dtermined by league standings and not cup places
:confused:

Nothing to do with anything.

What happens is that Shels get kicked out (I'm assuming that's the basis for the story) and Derry, as next in the league, get invited into the CL. For European qualification purposes, they'd be deemed to have done the double, quailfying for the UEFA and the CL. In this case, they accept the CL spot (presumably), and the Cup runners-up take the Cup winner's spot - i.e. Pat's take Derry's spot in the UEFA.

Don't know why Sligo are being mentioned, to be honest. The next in line would be Cork, then Sligo.

feo123
19/01/2007, 7:43 PM
thanks for ruining everything lol

SligoBrewer
19/01/2007, 7:50 PM
what about the setanta cup?
do cork not have an intertoto spot?
we are everybit as entitled to as pats..

shels wont lose their title so derry wont go in 2 it as champions...

they'll be promoted to the champions league but they wont have won the league

therefore.. the place is ours is it not?

pineapple stu
19/01/2007, 7:50 PM
Welcome!

If it's any consolation, we're next behind you, so it's even worse for us!!

(Though we do have the Fair Play to fall back on as well...)

SligoBrewer -

You're right about Cork, actually - apologies. However, they'd still get the InterToto as extra place is going to the Cup, not the league. Sligo could well get the Setanta though - you have to win the Cup to get into the Setanta, and licencing does apply for it as well.

feo123
19/01/2007, 8:38 PM
sure it'll take the FAI a few years to come up with something id say

Dodge
20/01/2007, 7:53 AM
what about the setanta cup?
do cork not have an intertoto spot?
we are everybit as entitled to as pats..

shels wont lose their title so derry wont go in 2 it as champions...

they'll be promoted to the champions league but they wont have won the league

therefore.. the place is ours is it not?

No, its 100% Pats (if they're kicked out). You're being asked to apply in case Pats don't get a license.

If they're kicked out of setanta (unlikely), that'll go to you as they don't have ame entry laws as UEFA

sligoman
20/01/2007, 4:16 PM
Hopefully Pat's will fail to get a european licence(with their ****ty ground) and then we get it instead:)

Dodge
20/01/2007, 6:24 PM
Hopefully Pat's will fail to get a european licence(with their ****ty ground) and then we get it instead:)

We'd play in Tolka or Dalymount.

Rovers1
20/01/2007, 7:28 PM
We'd play in Tolka or Dalymount.

thats cheating!....:mad:

Celdrog
20/01/2007, 9:36 PM
thats cheating!....:mad:
Worked a treat for the Drogs last season :D

Only1Rovers
21/01/2007, 1:57 PM
Worked a treat for the Drogs last season :D

what cheeting?

red bellied
24/01/2007, 12:24 PM
At moment Shels are up to their necks in it, cant pay players wages and another tax bill of 100,000 on top of that. A place in Europe is a rank outsider but Rovers must be odds on for the Setanta Cup because on current grounds Shels dont meet the licensing criteria.

DmanDmythDledge
24/01/2007, 12:32 PM
At moment Shels are up to their necks in it, cant pay players wages and another tax bill of 100,000 on top of that. A place in Europe is a rank outsider but Rovers must be odds on for the Setanta Cup because on current grounds Shels dont meet the licensing criteria.
AFAIK there is no licensing requirements for the Setanta Cup.

pineapple stu
24/01/2007, 12:34 PM
There is; the rules were posted somewhere recently.

Only1Rovers
24/01/2007, 1:09 PM
According to the Star today, Shels are in big trouble with Geaghon not taking the job as manager, it said in the paper look at inside pages for further details but my copy was missing the relevant pages, can anyone tell me if they mentioned Rovers?

avvenalaf
24/01/2007, 1:28 PM
According to the Star today, Shels are in big trouble with Geaghon not taking the job as manager, it said in the paper look at inside pages for further details but my copy was missing the relevant pages, can anyone tell me if they mentioned Rovers?

Missing pages? Betcha didn't lose page three.

GloryNights
24/01/2007, 1:31 PM
page 3 is only good in the Sun, he bought the Star!!